Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: arcadematt
Thread ID: 995
Thread Info
There are 12 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3367 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Neo Geo still In commercial Use?
arcadematt
Hi as our so called british summer approches and I get a chance to take the family to a few seaside arcades does anyone know of some great places to visit. I am visting Orlando Flordia In june anyone know of any arcades especially retro arcades. Im staying In the kissimmee area.

What I have found still In commercial use Is....

One of my work mates went to arcadia In ryde (Isle of wight) and did me a video on his phone of what they had to offer. I noticed a Puzzle Bobble. (best retro arcade I know of) havent been yet.

I was working In cardiff last spring and visited barry Island loads of times and one of the arcades on the sea front had Top players golf In a jamma cab.

Non Neo arcades

local to me Is a Arcade In Coventry called BUZZ.

Past a load of fruit machines at the back Is

Final Fight (20p ago)
Street Fighter Alpha (cant remember which one 20p ago)
Die Hard Arcade (20p ago)
Tekken (cant remember which one)
Great 1000 mile rally (30p a go)
Sega Manx TT (50p a go)
Taito Cup Final (also know as Super Cup Final 10p ago)

There a few more but cant think of them + 2 pinball tables
Edited by arcadematt on 24. April 2008 22:01

Doomed
Puzzle Bobble still seems to be a popular pick for arcade owners. Dunno why, everywhere I go there's another cab with Puzzle Bobble in it =P And some SamSho or another.

merlin
^Welcome to the NGFL forums Doomed! Smile

I've got fond memories of visiting arcades in the 90s here in the UK and wish I could find a decent one somewhere. Can't find anything here in Lincoln just loads of fruit machines. Arcadematt that one in Coventry sounds quite good particularly because it's got Final Fight and Street Fighter Alpha. I guess some of the English seaside resorts would be worth a try as well.

I was just wondering also does anyone know if there are any good arcades in London because I wouldn't mind travelling if there were any there. I can remember when Sega World in London was still around, there were loads of great arcade cabinets there. Finding a Neo Geo MVS somewhere would be great! Smile
Edited by merlin on 24. April 2008 23:27

Kazuya_UK
We were in Lincolnshire over the weekend, at Mablethorpe there are a few arcades in the town centre and also next to the nearby seal sanctuary there is a sports bar that actually has an arcade in there with some retro stuff although nothing really memorable and I don't think there were any MVS's there:(. Did have a blast on Time Crisis 2 though, which I used to be able to one life (nevermind one credit!), although I sucked a bit this time and only got to near the end of stage 2.

As for London, I don't venture there much but the last time was about 2 and a half years ago when we went to a gig at the Astoria. We headed down Oxford Street and there was an arcade there that had some decent stuff although it was deserted. There were a couple of MVS's, one had Metal SLug 2 if I remember right. I must admit I didn't play it though seeing as I had the cart at home, and they had Tekken 5 in there which at the time had only just been released so I spent my time on that!

Not sure of any others. I was thinking though, how about we make another map (like the members world map) if possible and add arcade locations on there? We could all contribute I guess... might be worth thinking about?

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
priest
Kazuya_UK wrote:

Not sure of any others. I was thinking though, how about we make another map (like the members world map) if possible and add arcade locations on there? We could all contribute I guess... might be worth thinking about?

Kaz

Thats a great idea, Kaz Thumbs Up
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Kurisu
Absolutely fantastic idea. We can then arrange days out and coach trips!! Hell, we're in danger of becoming normal. We could be anoraks and see who could be first to visit them all!
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

broken harbours
sounds like a smashing idea. i know there's an arcade on west street in brighton that made a point of having the latest two kofs there, although i havn't been there for a couple of years so i don't know what its like now. also, i remember seeing a few mvss with aof1, metal slug 2 and puzzlebobble in a couple of unusual places manchester; namely an ultra shitty (literally) rock club called jilly's and a great little gig venue called the roadhouse (just metal slug x and puzzle bobble though).

though its kind of sad really as in the 90's where i live there were 12 mvss of different slots all within the space of about a mile or so.:(

merlin
Yes I agree another world map for arcade machines would be a great idea! Thumbs Up I'm determined to find a decent arcade somewhere. Kaz I've never been to Mablethorpe before but from your description it sounds promising so I might make a trip there at some point in the future.

priest
In a neighbouring town of the one I live in, there´s a poolhall/internetcafe/arcade. They have a Neo geo candy (four slot) with Metal slug 2, Strikers 1945+, Neo turf masters and Puzzle bobble 1. They also hav four pinball machines, Two Naomi-cabs (Virtua striker and Virtua Tennis 2) and a House of the dead 2 cab.

Then there´s my favorite arcade: "Priests" very own arcade with 1 Neo geo candy cab (4 slots motherboard and various games), 1 Atomiswave sitdown cab playing various pcbs, 1 Neo geo Fullsize cab (Electrocoin) (6 slots motherboard), 1 JK cab (mame) and 1 "Wall mounted" cab playing pcb:s. One of the best things is that the credits are free here Wink

Another nice Idea (at least I think so) for this arcade map would be if we could take some pictures from each location, what do you say?
Edited by priest on 25. April 2008 23:01
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Kazuya_UK
merlin wrote:
Yes I agree another world map for arcade machines would be a great idea! Thumbs Up I'm determined to find a decent arcade somewhere. Kaz I've never been to Mablethorpe before but from your description it sounds promising so I might make a trip there at some point in the future.

Well it's not great there, I wouldn't make a special trip, the town is kinda run down now like a lot of British seaside places. If you go there though it's worth looking around but it's nothing special. Saying that the arcades were a lot of fun for me because the arcade scene here really is completely dead now, there's barely a single place with games of any type, it's all gambling machines!

Anyways, for the map thing, I want to see if there is something similar to the thing boogiepop made for the members map, but that will let people submit multiple locations. You can upload small pics on the members one, so maybe that would be good enough to show a little pic of the place if the person has one?

Frappr is great for the members list but I think it only allows you to provide one location...?

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
John Crawley
I wish there was a retro game room in my area or near it (is obsessed with wanting to travel back into the past)

arcadematt
The best arcade that I have visited In the UK Is In hunstanton on the East coast. In the arcade there you work your way to the back and you will see this room. This room has around a dozen retro games In It. I remember playing Space Tactics (1980) and monaco GP (1980) cant remember the rest but they are In one of the retro gamer mags I have. If anyone Is Interested I can list the games It has. As this list Is 3/4 years old there Is a strong chance that some of the games have gone or even that the arcade no longer has a retro room or worst still has closed. I hope not as walking Into the room was like It was 1990 again when arcades RULED. I missed them so much arcades filled with fruit machines dont hold the same feeling they did when 10p a go jamma cabs were the real deal.

Jump to Forum: