Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 981
Thread Info
There are 23 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8561 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Thrash Rally
Kazuya_UK
Please Note: This was a previous Game of the Week thread!

Thrash Rally:

www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/game_discussion/thrash_rally/thrash_rally_flyer_thumb.jpg
^ Click for full version

Genre: Driving Game
Meg Count: 46 MB
Players: 1 player
Released on: Home/MVS/CD

Brief Description:

Thrash Rally, or "Trash Rally" as it is sometimes rather unkindly dubbed, is a top down racing game by Alpha Denshi, and arguably the worst of all the games in this genre on the Neo Geo. Perhaps my review of the game was a little harsh, but in my opinion there is no real reason to own this one, if you absolutely MUST have a driving game on the Neo then you could do much better. I actually love top down driving games, but not this one...

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_138/trallytitle.jpeg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_138/trallyintro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_138/trallyselect.jpeg www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_138/trally1.jpeg

Review:

http://www.neogeo...age_id=141

Video:

Short video by yours truly - ignore my terrible driving skills, and yes I WAS aiming for the animals on stage 2! Grin

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SVux__hGSI[/youtube]

Other media:

Music from Thrash Rally is available in the Jukebox:

Link -->

Thrash Rally HSC:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=3643

Well, with people voting for it the other week, there must be more than a few Thrash Rally fans out there. I don't like itm but the beauty of the Game of the Week feature is that you can tell me (and probably more than a few others) why we are wrong!
Edited by priest on 30. October 2011 01:20
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Shiny
Neo Drift Out it ain't.

Seriously, an awful awful game. However, I will give it another blast over this coming week, maybe I'll change my mind by Sunday. I wouldn't hold your breath though... Wink
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Midian
Never played it, but I honestly think it looks pretty cool. I'll be checking this game out. Thumbs Up
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

priest
I really like this game because its real easy to get into for a quick race in between a Beat´em up and a shoot´em up-session.

The game also reminds me of Spyhunter, which I used to play a lot in my days with the C64.

However, the game has one big flaw and thats the "collision-detection" with other cars-There is none, you can just drive right through the other contestants Thumbs Down

Despite the bad critics in the reviews, try this game you just might be pleasantly surprised...

img102.imageshack.us/img102/9359/lastsuppersnkhz7.gif

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
tony starks
Never played it either but I surpose I will try it out one day.
Starks is always out

arcadematt
This game Is very old and gets alot of stick from most. I enjoy playing It, Its not as good as overtop and neo drift out by a long way. Thats because they are top draw. Thrash Rally Is a good for a quick race here and there.

Buy It and give It a go. 6/10

Atomduck
I've always been turned off by the racing games on the Neo. So I'm being awfully Biased but I don't really think the game would control well on a 8-way joystick. I've never played but I could be wrong...
I wanna ride the King of Fighters Roller Coaster. :(

merlin
I don't own this one and hadn't played it much but over the last week have been trying it out. Just spent half an hour on the Dakar/Paris rally and could only get to stage 5 but I am improving. Managed to take out four elephants as well which was funny! Smile

While not an amazing game Thrash Rally is definitely not a terrible game and certainly not deserving of the nickname 'Trash Rally'. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it but don't feel much need to buy this since I've already got Over Top and Neo Drift Out (the best racing game on Neo Geo).

Thrash Rally feels like a primitive version of Over Top. The graphics are a bit plain but there are a few nice touches like planes and helicopters. The gameplay is actually quite enjoyable but of course nowhere near as good as Over Top/Neo Drift Out.

I imagine this game is fairly cheap to buy so for a racing fan it's worth a look especially when you consider that if you are an AES owner Over Top is pretty expensive.
Edited by merlin on 22. April 2008 21:51

arcadematt
A joystick works well with racing games but cant replace a steering wheel. When your playing arcade racing games with a joystick it takes a lap or 2 to get used to It. After a awhile you can master It, Just tapping a joystick and not holding It sometimes helps. Give It a go

Ryusens
I really like it. Although I cant really explain why.

All in all it has a bit of charm over the kind of serious Neo Drift Out. Maybe it just the overall Micro Machines aesthethic. The collision is arguably nonexistant and the sheer number of contestants make the ranking system a farce. But its quick to pick up and offers a decent learning curve, which isnt guaranteed on the Neogeo.

roninbuddha
uhm.. i like the poster/arcade flyer Pfft
www.filehive.com/files/080806/sgu.jpg
my artworks/doodles -> http://roninbuddha.blogspot.com

http://roninbuddha.deviantart.com
Kazuya_UK
Been playing a little more of it, and it still bores me to tears. This has also reminded me of the stupid niggly fault with the game - there are stretches of the track that you can't drive along straight, as they are at a stupid angle. I'm fine with using a pad or stick to control the car, but having to keep tapping left and right to keep going straight is ridiculous. LOL

Kaz

Goemon
Aww boy... I gotta admit fellas, i've only played this once... & it made me very sad.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

boogiepop
I played a bit of the Dakar and Paris race and had quite a bit of fun! I got as far as the sixth and final section. It's nothing mind-blowing and I think any neo game that doesn't have a two player option already has a small strike against it but it's definitely playable. I'm going to have to try the courses on the left since they seem to be quite a bit more aggravating with the odd angles. All in all though, I'm pleasantly surprised thus far. Smile
Born to Die

candycab
Havent played Trash Rally in a while but I do like the game for what it is [ a Neo racer which is an oddity in itself ] Its quirky enough to play once in a while, a bit bland overall but still fun in small increments and beer helps alot Grin actually multiple beers are almost a must LOL

Its an average game at best but it is dirt cheap in MVS form so IMHO there is no real reason not to have it collecting dust if one is so inclined Wink

Personally I think its a much better racer than Riding Hero ever was but thats probably like trying to decide if you would rather puke up buffalo wings or hot dogs after a hard night of partying, one may taste better but both still suck.
Edited by candycab on 25. April 2008 11:26
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

boogiepop
candycab wrote:
Personally I think its a much better racer than Riding Hero ever was but thats probably like trying to decide if you would rather puke up buffalo wings or hot dogs after a hard night of partying, one may taste better but both still suck.

LOL LOL
My next siggy? Hmmm.
Born to Die

Kazuya_UK
Haha that's brilliant candycab! LOL I do love the Shiny sig though, it makes me smile every time I see your posts bp! Grin

Must admit I never tried the Paris - Dakar Rally much so I'm gonna give it a go tonight. I normally race the other tracks, and yes, they are annoying!

Kaz

boogiepop
Yeah, I'd played some of those other races and they are certainly much less forgiving. I can see the complaints about Thrash Rally now.
And where the hell's the audio? When I hit a damned elephant, I want to hear something!
Edited by boogiepop on 29. April 2008 00:55
Born to Die

candycab
I know one of the animals makes some noise when you hit them, forget which one but it makes a mwhirr type sound. Some sort of sick groaning noise Grin
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NEO-GEO man
I have this for AES and MVS and also have the Rally Chase variant on the NGCD.

Its a good game and i like it. It may not be as good as Overtop or Drift Out, but it does have one exceptional feature up on them both, and that is its got a 2 player simultainious mode.

Jump to Forum: