Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Klarkus
Thread ID: 98
Thread Info
There are 40 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9162 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
King of Fighters XI
Shiny
Oh dear, another SNK port goes wrong... I think Ignition are being paid off by Sammy so that we all have to buy Atomiswave motherboards. Maybe.

HexElf
It's not that bad really, the text error isn't exactly consistent (must have played through the games five times before I got it even once), the Mai bug has no effect aside from giving Tizoc the wrong name on the character select screen and because the command edit function in this game sucks pretty bad in this game (NGBC was waaay better) I could care less for that function crashing. Considering you need two buttons for tag, the provocation (for certain specials) and E buttons there goes all the shoulder buttons anyway. That and it wasn't in the arcade and it is cheating anyway, wanna get down with some BnB combos? Well KOFXI makes you want to learn them manuaully.

Anyway I feel that the NGBC port was better as it fixed some issues (only the save file error remained but that's super easy to work around) but considering the price, ultra slick design and sheer character value on this one I feel people are overreacting. It's not like it's anywhere near as bad as the insulting SS5 and SVC ports.
img413.imageshack.us/img413/3883/asuborderwide.png
Asuka does not wait until after school, she will kick your ass right now!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HexElf
boogiepop
If it's completely playable, that's great. It just strikes me as a bit sloppy.

So does that mean it's out? You guys have gotten your hands on the game?
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Midian
Yeah, you should be able to get it somewhere.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

HexElf
I own an original copy of the EU version, it's hard to get but oh yeah, it's out.

HexElf
Also a small note on how not everything that is written about this game is untrue. You do not need to attempt any LDMs to get to Jazu, just land six DM finishers and that's it. Also I sincerely doubt that it's a matter of randomness between him and Silver, I got Jazu 5 times out of the 6 I managed to get the formula right which seems a bit off but I will try to make sure next time.

Also unlocking Geese somehow unlocked Mai for me as well, I am guessing that maybe unlocking the South Town boss may unlock all other characters as well but considering how broken that mission is this self proclaimed fighting god will settle for clearing it once, if I hear "Rock you!" one more time within the next 24 hours I am going to scream!

Furthermore I got like a billion notes on just about every character in the game so if anyone wants to know anything about anyone (like K's new CD attack, Kim's new throw or Kula's snow flake) let me know and I will gladly share =D

HexElf
Extracts from my personal notes

Generic
several characters have alternate commands for the same super move, some of the will yield alternate animations while others have different effects (one of Adel's as an example is the same except it adds a taunt at the end)

an nteresting thing about the game in general is how the AI when turned up a little starts behaving like tournament players and actually applying high level human-like tactics such as okizeme, lockdowns, crossups and general pressure to limit your options against them
and another cool thing, if the judgement scale detects an infinity combo it will start swinging in favor of the opponent instead (there's a Vanessa combo to use for trying it out)

most of the characters not from NGBC were touched up for the port, there's a whole new level of fanservice on Yuri, plenty of new animation (Ramon has a new standing pose, Ryo has more animation in some moves) and more character changes than you can shake a stick at
just to mention a few

HexElf
Shen Woo
Shen Woo's qcf x 2 + K has a new animation
his old close command combo was split into two moves, one that reverses fireballs only and the other does the two close hits
new command kick that replaces his old one

Has a new CD attack which is way better than his old one. Faster recovery and at least twice the reach.
He can shoot fireballs in the air just like in NGBC but they donít push him back up now, instead he just keeps falling like Yuri.
He has a new throw that just looks badass but doesnít really change much aside from K being pushed away now rather than the opponent

Yuri
Yuri's kicking DM was changed to make her run instead of dashing like Ryo
her LDM is similar to her old SDM version of the same move but it is now an aerial diving attack

Ralf
Ralf can now combo into his Argentina Backbreaker again, one version still has autoguard
He can DC from his gattling punch right into his LDM now for big and free damage

Whip
Whip has a new DM and her old super moves have much faster recovery on whiff now, just one strike and she stops if it whiffs

Ryo
his counter punch (qcb +P) now looks like his old one from KOF2001 but it works like it does in NGBC making it great for comboing into supers, his LDM comes out fast enough to combo also
Ryo has two new moves, one called the bottle cutter which is a variation of his counter punch but faster and it knocks down
the other is a weird sort of charge-up where he kinda stabs the opponent in the gut with his fingers (guard breaks and SC-able)

Malin
Malin has less options to work with after they toned down her aerial stab moves (more delay between directions), the LDM (one way only) and her jo-jos (only one on screen doesnít last as long) but in return she gets a great CD attack and the LDM hammer move does insane damage now even on grounded opponents
the electrical attacks she has comes out faster now too, her command attack is faster and looks different and finally Malin has a few new win poses, all of which look great

HexElf
Duo Lon
Duo Lon was toned down by making his teleports slower, his "skeleton" move is gone and replaced by an air only attack that won't knock down anymore (but can hit more than twice now) and while he can't infinity chain or play around with foot cross-up pokes anymore his moves have become easier to do
oh yeah Duo Lon has a new super too, it's somewhat similar to K9999 gust fireball except it's larger and a DM (lots of ground slash kick moves like the ones used in the special move)

Iori
Iori has a new flame pillar DM and also his sail back (backdash with B) is intact despite him using the new NGBC sprites where it was missing, his Winds of Waste (command throw) has a bigger window for you to abuse as well making setups much easier
His fireball is large as in 03

Ramon
Has a super that is an off-the-wall only move similar to one of his DMs from KOF02 but animation is new and timing is easier, he also has a new throw (basically an irish whip) that similarly to Iori's Winds of Waste and Tizoc's hercules throw can set the opponent up for more attacks. Howvever but the opponent collapses quickly so it's hard to get anything other than his rush DM to connec aftert
his voice is new also but Vanessa's is the same and Mary's too

Kula
Kula has a new voice actress as well, a giant snowflake (air projectile) as a new move her old freeze execution (now LDM) is much easier to do, she can juggle like a beast but not quite as ridiculous as in 02/NW

Gai (unlockable)
Gai Tendou has Joe's voice actor doing him and he fights in a style similar to Angel and May Lee with lots of custom options between moves but with virtually no actual special moves
Gai has a move called "Grudge Match" which if it connects will force both characters to remain in the ring without being able to tag out until one of them is beaten (he can also use his Angel-style chain finishers as separate special moves until someone is knocked out too)

Shion (playable boss)
Shion has one of the biggest movelists I've seen in 2D a game, not only does she have 3 stances (norma, spear and whip) but she uses an incredible amount of weapons rivaled only by Malin and Whip
most of them being Dynasty inspired she can use both arrows, chinese swords (the kind Xianghua uses), chinese spear (the kind that sorta bends) and also cause large unblockable rocks to fall down

Geese (NGBC)
his projectiles and supers were completely revamped, as was a few of the commands
his SDM Raging Storm is MUCH easier to do now and it looks awesome too (animation is Real Bout style)
and you can SC all of his reversals now, not just the special/mid, the commands were changed again.
Edited by HexElf on 15. July 2007 11:00

HexElf
Elizabeth (new character)
she's practically a Capcom character with fairly few specials and most of them existing in super versions
she's got a KOF styled burst fireball, a sliding uppercut similar to SF3 Makoto's EX uppercut, a throw super and souped up versions of the first two moves
since she wasn't in any previous games it is hard to comment beyond that

Clark
has a new DM similar to his old gatling combos, nice because the command is easier than the throws
his hcf + P tackle throw followups are somewhat hard to do like in 03

Athena
Athena's old command throw from 9 finally returns, she also borrowed two moves from Millia, one being the air-to-ground dash/teleport and the other being the angel dive sort of move
Has new schoolgirl outfit but no fanservice because she wears shorts underneath

Silver (unlockable)
Walks and runs really slowly
Has MK style uppercut performed with d+C, the opponent will be launched and can be juggled, his jumping C is a downward punch that knocks down
His LDM comes out crazy fast (even faster than Oswald)

Momoko (new character)
Momoko is a cute character with funny expressions (try crouching or throwing) and sound effects (run or walk), for a video game character she's practically a raging little lily and she's interesting to play because in contrast to the big guys she relies on lots of fast hits and surprisingly long combos to get the job done
she plays similar to May Lee but easier (you will get nice combos practically by mistake)
her toss DM and the unblockable KaMeHaMe Wave wannabee (Tung does it better) are interesting moves for her as well, the latter suggesting that anyone training with Athena will be able to dish out massive amounts of ki
it can be used to set up an incoming character for free damage or DC off her throw DM for a free juggle
I know sheís supposed to be a minor and a cute kid character but itís ovbious SNK included some pretty obvious sex appeal here as well, I wonít get into details though

boogiepop
Good to see you're enjoying yourself. Smile I'd probably be willing to dive knee deep into this game again but I've been bitten by the VF bug once again. In fact, now that I think of it, the only reason I stopped playing VF a month or so ago was because my work accident made sitting unbearable.

Anyway, I really like the new characters. Elizabeth is obviously the weakest of the bunch but her animation (or lack thereof) and small number of specials in comparison to the other new characters is to blame, not so much her design. Comparing her to Oswald is like comparing Shen to Duo Lon in 03.
I'm glad you approve of Momoko, she's a great addition in my opinion. I've heard numerous complaints that she's too young and too noob-friendly from others but she is in no way broken. She's plays quite differently from the rest of the cast and uniqueness is always good in my book.

The rest of the characters are a mixed bag visually to me. Some feel stiffer, like the NGBC cast, while others are pretty fluid. The disparity is a bit jarring and it definitely detracts from the whole experience but with gameplay as good as XI has, it's hard to complain much. Anyway, I'll stop blabbing. Have fun with the game dude! Grin

P.S. How long have you had that sig? I love it!
(knowing me it's probably been there for months)
Edited by boogiepop on 27. June 2007 04:37
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Shiny
Posted this in the wrong thread earlier... Twice. D'oh!

In town today I saw that KoF XI is out over here but Game aren't stocking it, or Max Impact 2, at all and Gamestation only bothered to get 2 copies in because "they're not exactly high profile games are they".

It's no wonder SNK games sell so few copies when they recieve such shoddy promotion, not only from SNK/Ignition themselves but also from the shops that daren't give them the shelf space they deserve.
Edited by Shiny on 11. July 2007 17:56

HexElf
On a positive note here are the actual ways to get the sub-boss you want, and yeah it's hell of a lot easier to pick your boss here than it was in NGBC.

Gai Tendo = Land one LDM in any of the first three matches.
Sho Hayate = Land three LDMs total within the first three matches.
Jazu and Silver = Land 6 DMs total within the first three matches. Who you get is random.
Adelheid = Complete none of the above requirements.

There are also a bunch of special art you can get for edit teams but there are so many it would take a while to make a list of them all. To get you started however make sure you get Adelheid and finish the game with him as a leader, this guy got a whole ending of his own!
Edited by HexElf on 17. July 2007 02:43

HexElf
Another note on Jazu (yes I refuse to use the new spelling for obvious reasons) it seems that he's a bird transforming into a human rather than the other way around. Why? Well he always starts the match as a bird and always ends it the same way, he seems to have isssues using human speech and often coos like a bird when talking between matches. On top of that he never talks during matches either (he just grunts) aside from when he wins during which Jazu has a whole assortment of laughs to accompany his transformation pose.
A very cool character indeed, that and he goes along both with both the bird (Tizoc, Duck King and Jazu) as well as the ninja (Mai, Eiji, Jazu) teams so you can unlock three special ending arts for him.

Also good luck on getting your copy there Shiny, maybe some online store can get you hooked up?

And finally thanks Boogiebop, I came up with it while making various puns on the Wii and at the time you asked I only had the sig for a week or something. Now it stuck for a month or so and considering I usually changed sigs at least once every two days before that's gotta mean something hehe.
Edited by HexElf on 17. July 2007 03:02

phry
In town today I saw that KoF XI is out over here but Game aren't stocking it, or Max Impact 2, at all and Gamestation only bothered to get 2 copies in because "they're not exactly high profile games are they".

I saw a few in Gamestation the other day too for 20 quid but got mine off Play for £15. Bargain!

I've only given it a quick go so can't say much about the details of the game but I'm enjoying it. The only technical thing i can say for now is that the load times seem a lot faster than NGBC. I can't wait to start unlocking more characters etc.

To be honest, after waiting for so long I'm just so happy to finally have my gotten my hands on a copy regardless of minor bugs (which i'm yet to witness)

HexElf
Well the quickest would be to look for Tizoc being named "Mai" in the character select screen. Great job on getting the game though man, I hope you'll be able to enjoy it as much as I did and also good luck on getting all the characters, I know some of them are crazy hard to unlock.

Midian
I'm getting myself a PS2 soon and I'm also going to buy a KoF game, I love KoF2002 and 2003, but I'd also like to get XI. So, which one do you guys think I should get.

Kazuya_UK
2002 and 2003 are definitely worth getting especially as they tend to be pretty damned cheap now, but if you get only one then it's GOT to be XI in my opinion. I'm sure everyone else will back me up on that. It's the freshest the series has been in ages and the new characters are great, so I don't think you can go wrong really.

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
HexElf
Midian wrote:
I'm getting myself a PS2 soon and I'm also going to buy a KoF game, I love KoF2002 and 2003, but I'd also like to get XI. So, which one do you guys think I should get.

Think of KOFXI as KOF03, only faster stronger, harder and better. Seriously, the game is so good it might actually ruin the previous chapters for you. So instead of KOF03 get KOFXI, and instead of 02, get NeoWave. That way you will have the best of both sides of the coin. New and classic.

Midian
Ah. Well, I'm not really into getting Neo Wave, but I'll definately get XI then, especially cause I can get it for 20 bucks only. I might as well order 2002 since that's my favorite KoF until now. I've been working quite a lot now so I can afford all those games. Smile
Edited by Midian on 22. July 2007 16:31

Jump to Forum: