Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Hammermatt
Thread ID: 959
Thread Info
There are 21 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7337 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Neogeo interest
Hammermatt
Looking at all the games from the review list over the past year I was wondering, if you don't like fighting games, why would you really want a neo geo. It just seems to me theres mostly fighters (only fun video games for me, and beat em up games too) so were you guys drawn to the neo geo due to the fact that you liked fighters? I dont have a neo geo so i was just wondering.

LIFE_IN_2D
I first got into the Neo Geo for Samurai Showdown and KOF. Ultimately though, I grew to love all genres on the Neo Geo especially awesome shooter games (like Metal Slug) and puzzle games (like puzzle bobble) .
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 14. April 2008 23:12
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

tony starks
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
I first got into the Neo Geo for Samurai Showdown and KOF. Ultimately though, I grew to love all genres on the Neo Geo especially awesome shooter games (like Metal Slug) and puzzle games (like puzzle bobble) .

QFT Pfft

boogiepop
It's hard to deny that the strength of the neo's library resides within its huge selection of fighters. At the same time, there are some incredible non fighters like the Metal Slug series. My current collection is probably about 50% fighters but a big reason for that is that fighters are cheaper than the other games in general.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Atomduck
There is some variety but sadly, not enough. You really aughta love Fighting games to death with a side order of other games.

cthulhu
I really got into Neo Geo because of the huge selection of (great) fighting games. I did wish the Neo Geo would have had more SHMUPS and Platform Games.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Powerwave
i love the neo geo simply for its fighters, 95% of my games i play are fighters so the neo geo is perfect for me, i know its very sad but there so damn great, i do of corse like othres games bt nothing for me is better than a good fighter.

Kurisu
That's a bit like saying you should only get a xbox360 if you're only into FPS 3D shooters. I'm fed up with my xbox360 for that reason. I have 21 AES carts and only 7 are true 2D fighters. Therefore I have 14 good carts that are not. That would seem to suggest the opposite and that there is plenty of variety if you shop around. That's the key, some of the lesser known games are actually quite good and you can pick them up fairly cheaply if you hunt for them. Good thread though! Smile
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

merlin
I got into Neo Geo for it's fighting games and I'll admit that they are my favourite genre on the system. However there are loads of quality Neo titles which are not fighting games so I think buying a Neo Geo is still a smart choice even if you are not into fighters. The Neo is great when it comes to shoot 'em ups, puzzle games and sports games. Twinkle Star Sprites would have to be my favourite 'non-fighting' game. Only about a third of my Neo AES/CD collection are fighting games.

arcadematt
I love all genres only around 20%/25% of my collection and thats nearly 60 carts are Fighting games.

I love neo shooters and platform games especially. I would honestly prefer to play street hoop or Shock Troopers then samurai shodown. Probley the only who does but thats me. I was drawn to neo because of the shear quality of games. Theres no denying that the neo's library Is rammed with Fighting games but there are 14 shoot em ups on the system. and plenty of puzzle games which I play alot. Great system all round and good thread.

broken harbours
for me its not so much the quantity of fighters, but rather the quality of them. garou, last blade, kof 98 still play exceedingly well today despite being almost a decade old. but all in all, i think what i really love about the neo is the fact that it is the peak or arcade fun which means that while i often feel drawn to a fighting game i sometimes end up being very pleasantly surprised with the quality of games like neo turf masters and the shmups like blazing star.

Ghost Soldier
I have wanted a neo for years after playing magician lord and baseball stars in the arcade. I could never afford one growing up and only in the last few months have I been able to purchase a aes with several games. Now my list of great games goes beyond the two I fell in love with. I really love a good round at kof whenever I have a chance to play.

Hammermatt
Kurisu wrote:
That's a bit like saying you should only get a xbox360 if you're only into FPS 3D shooters. I'm fed up with my xbox360 for that reason. I have 21 AES carts and only 7 are true 2D fighters. Therefore I have 14 good carts that are not. That would seem to suggest the opposite and that there is plenty of variety if you shop around. That's the key, some of the lesser known games are actually quite good and you can pick them up fairly cheaply if you hunt for them. Good thread though! Smile

I dont like the xbox360 because everythinsg a shooter of some short, but i forgot that the neo geo had metal slug

candycab
Ive been fooling with the Neo since it was released way back in the day, bought an AES Gold system just after launch then shifted to MVS hardware in 1994. Im not or ever have been a huge fan of fighting games in general but I do enjoy SNK fighters more than most others Ive played over the years.

Really for me its always been more about likeing the hardware more than the software as it does have a pretty decent variety of games overall, even if most really arent that great. Ive always liked the "Presentation" of arcade machines, the feel of the sticks the lights of the marquee etc, there is something charming about the Neo's presentation when used in a Candycab that is just plain fun to mess with no matter what game you maybe playing.

In the end I tthink most gamers can find a nice balance in the Neo's MVS price and game library to warrant keeping it around.
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Carmen
Once you buy a system you'll automatically start picking up and noticing games you wouldn't before owning it. I don't have a Neo, but I'm sure if I bought one, I'd find out about games other then fighting games (which are my biggest draw to it) as with any other console. I only bought a Game Boy Advance for a few games I knew off the top of my head, but quickly found a deep variety I didn't dream existed on it before... and the same would go for any other console.

Nam 1975 FTW Roll Eyes

Bullet
For me it has always been the fighters. From the first time I walked into an arcade and laid eyes on King of Fighters 94 I loved all things Neo Geo, but I've honestly loved 2D games and really still do, I have a 360, ps3 and a wii and pretty much every system before them and have always gravitated to hand drawn 2D games. I love the artistry and the comitment to solid gameplay that remains a staple of the genre.

New games are beautiful, for sure, but they don't play as well and depend on flash to hide poor or limited gameplay.
Its also been obvious that games are being made with less and less skill involved by the end user. You no longer master a game , because they are all too easy, cause if they are hard the casuals cry and complain. Skill based games are the exception now instead of the rule. Its the King of Fighters or Street Fighters and even the metal slugs or ikarugas are hoping we still remember them.

And let me just say I hope the gamers keep these genres alive and the only way to do that is to buy the anthology series by SNK playmore and keep these titles flowing cause ever anthology purchased keeps games like KOF XII coming.

Show the love.
Edited by Bullet on 18. April 2008 08:23
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Hammermatt
Ive had a ps2 and dreamcast for about 1 year now, my first consoles (my bro had a gamecube we "shared" before when it was released) but although ive searched up and down the ps2 and dc game lists, i still only own beat em ups/shoot em ups and fighters, im just a fast past martial arts kinda guy, most other games take too long or i get bored thinking of tactics. i currently have about 100 games in my collection if you count the games in the collections/anthologies/archives ect. from diff companies

Kurisu
Candycab - Excellent post earlier! For me it's always been about bringing the arcade experience home. To me no other console does this as well as the Neo. It's the combination of the games with their arcade attract screens, the old skool graphics, the booming sound and of course the joystick. It's the complete arcade experience at home. In addition I have always loved the cartridge based systems where programmers really had to consider the size of the carts without the luxury of unlimited space on a CD. I just love the clunk of a cartridge when you bang it in. I took my KoF 99 into to my local game shop today as they want to get back into Retro stuff. The guys there almost creamed themselves when they saw the size of the cartridge, the box and the artwork.
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

Zakatek
I like fighters most and that's wyh i like neo geo. I also like shooters and neo geo has great shooters this can be second reason. I don't have neo geo but if had KOF 98 would be the first game that i would like to buy.

Doomed
The very first Neo cab I played on was a two-slot with Blue's Journey and Ninja Combat. I'd like to play the good guy here and say those games were what hooked me on the system. But sadly what really grabbed me was a year or so later and a cab that boasted World Heroes 2 -and- Samurai Shodown. Wow! =P Been a Gen-An fan ever since.

My next steady cab was one with Last Blade. -drool-

That's not to say I'm not a fan of nonfighters. I adore Baseball Stars 2, Twinkle Star Sprites, the Magical Drop games, Money Idol Exchanger, Neo Bomberman, Metal Slug, etc. I'm even learning to love Super Sidekicks (I love soccer but I just can't seem to get into the SS games, but I'm trying ;P) and -gasp- Stakes Winner.

The Neo-Geo. Come for the fighters, stay for the other awesome games.

Jump to Forum: