Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kurisu
Thread ID: 909
Thread Info
There are 27 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7581 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Atari Lynx
Kurisu
My local games emporium had got hold of a brand new sealed Lynx 2 plus some new sealed games. For about the price of a half decent AES game, I got the Lynx plus:

Robosquash
Robotron
Slimeworld
Crystal Mines II
Joust
Chips Challenge
Chess
Kung Food
Ishido
Bill and Ted
Dirty Larry
Hydra
Basketbrawl
Ninja Gaiden II
Cyberball

Desparately trying to find Blue Lightning!

Were any SNK related games ever released for it? Most of them seem to be Tengen or Epyx orientated (not surprising as Epyx developed it and sold it to Atari).
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

boogiepop
Cool! I wanted a Lynx so bad when I was little. Let us know what you think of it after you've had some time to get to know it better.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

priest
Congrats on getting a Lynx Smile

I remember getting the console (Atari Lynx 1) myself when it was released. Didnt own many game for it but liked the ones I got:

California games (included with the Lynx)

Blue lightning (great afterburner clone)

The gates of Zendocon (Not sure about the spelling, Super 2D shoot´em up)

I still regret trading my Lynx for a couple of Sega megadrive games:(

Enjoy the Lynx Smile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
cthulhu
Congratulations on getting a Lynx...I still have mine and I enjoy playing it once in a while, especially Lemmings and Shadow of the Beast.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Kurisu
Thanks all. Nice to think the Lynx is a well-thought of handheld!
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

Powerwave
joust and robotron are simple but fun games esspecialy joust it keeps u on the edge of ure seat, have fun with it. Smile

Nadanova
I've been thinking of getting a lynx for a while, didn't want to start a new thread, just wanted to know what it feels like to play and what the game quality is like.
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

Kurisu
Quality of Lynx games are generally excellent. Graphics take some getting used to as the machine is trying to do some really clever stuff like scaling and scrolling. Games like Blue Lightning and Chips Challenge are superb. Try and go for a Lynx 2 as it is smaller with a better battery life and a better screen. Better still, get power lead for it. A bit like the PCE GT portable, you have to accept that it is really not that portable. Once you get over that, and treat it like a "normal" console, you will have a lot of fun. It's a piece of gaming history and was well ahead of its time.

cthulhu
I have to agree that the overall quality of Lynx games is quite impressive, there are quite a few games that really stand out...especially Shadow of the Beast and Lemmings (I think it's the best console version ever). There are also some games that are just too difficult because you don't get a lot of lives or continues like in Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop, Batman Returns, Ninja Gaiden (which I actually finished) and Shadow of the Beast (which I almost finished).
One of the most impressive things about the Lynx is playing multiplayer games with other Lynx players (my wife also has a Lynx and we share some games).
The Atari Lynx is still one of my most favorite systems ever together with the Neo Geo AES and Sega Megadrive.
Oh yeah, I prefer the first version of the Lynx, it might be a bit big, but I think it has a better feel to it and it looks better...a case of personal taste I guess.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Nadanova
Thanks guys Smile I think I will get one at some point Smile
Don't mention the war! - Basil Fawlty

IDCHAPPY
i recently sold one, it was a quality wee machine Smile. loved pitfighter, cheesy but fun

TF73
Kurisu wrote:
My local games emporium had got hold of a brand new sealed Lynx 2 plus some new sealed games. For about the price of a half decent AES game, I got the Lynx plus:

Robosquash
Robotron
Slimeworld
Crystal Mines II
Joust
Chips Challenge
Chess
Kung Food
Ishido
Bill and Ted
Dirty Larry
Hydra
Basketbrawl
Ninja Gaiden II
Cyberball

Desparately trying to find Blue Lightning!

Were any SNK related games ever released for it? Most of them seem to be Tengen or Epyx orientated (not surprising as Epyx developed it and sold it to Atari).

How is Ninja Gaiden and Hydra on the Lynx? Xybots also seems very cool!
Would love to own one but I guess it might be hard to find a console where the screen is as good as new.

candycab
Very cool to see some interest somewhere other than an Atari Forum Smile

I was fortunate enough to be able to buy one just after launch [ California Games Pack-in ] and it was incredible at the time. Mine is packed away in storage as of about 12 months ago due to moving etc. I spent a ton of dough on it over the years and have [if memory serves] the majority of the game library. Fantastic machine overall though the Plus D-pad isn't great, I bought 3 Plus models when they were liquidated for $25.00 at EB many moons ago. Gave 1 to a friend and kept 2 Smile

My original bought the farm somewhere along the way and is no longer with us[ pretty sure it got stepped on while I was in the USMC ] It was pretty delicate as hand held systems go and a bit large but still a great machine. I spent a ton of time playing it over the years and always enjoyed it, I think the most memorable game at the moment is easily Gates of Zendocon. Fantastic presentation, fun and challenging with cool level design [ loved the eyeballs everywhere ]

Hmmm The opening Laugh would make a great sound for a PC or a Phone Smile You should hunt that game down, its definitely worth it. Hard Drivin comes to mind as well since it is almost impossible to actually play for any length of time even though you really want to.

Desert Strike was fantastic and BMX and Surfing on California Games is probably one of the most fun addicting things ever.

Hope you enjoy your LYNX Smile Even now after all these years I think its still a pretty good buy. It is one of the few consoles/systems I will never part with.

Just my 2 cents but

Xybots is a great game that plays exactly as the Arcade hardware [ without the cool sticks of course ] I don't remember Ninja Gaiden so I probably don't have it ?

Blue Lightning sadly isn't so good but is serviceable as Afterburner clones go I guess [ wasn't too hot on Jaguar CD either]

Hydra is a marginal port that plays as it should but nothing worth selling a kidney over [ I still own a full cabinet Hydra as well Smile It's stuffed in a Pole Position 2 cab but whole. I was going to put it in a proper Dura-Mold cab but never got a hold of a donor.

Not sure if its still around but Atariage used to have tons of good info on the LYNX with game reviews etc and a decent community as well.
Edited by candycab on 29. November 2010 10:25
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

hitorkori
toki was awsome on lynx & that batman game not to shabby was so hard thou :(

candycab
hitorkori wrote:
toki was awsome on lynx & that batman game not to shabby was so hard thou :(

Ahhh the Frustration that is Batman Returns. I forget where I got that but I remember it being a mail in promotion. I think up to that point it was probably the best looking Batman game made but absolutely impossible ! Maybe not NES Battle Toads hard but damn close Smile
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Chiba3010
My all time favorite handheld! So many fantastic arcade ports, great original titles and some top notch homebrews and independent releases. Bought the system when it first came out with funds set aside from my earnings as paperboy. Played it for many years until the day my little brother stepped on it- I'd ultimately replace it with the smaller Lynx model 2. The Lynx model 1, large as it is, remains my favorite version of the handheld so later on I bought another of those as well! Smile

Here's a pic of my model 1 and game carts

i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/51be77ca.jpg

Over the last two decades I've slowly built up a nearly complete library of retail-released titles with just four games yet to be added! As for those bagged EPROM carts in the leftmost compartment, we have an unfinished proto of Daemonsgate, a homebrew port of Lode Runner, the fantastic indie release Alpine Games and the recently unearthed complete version of the Eye of the Beholder.

If you've never played a Lynx you're missing out on a great little machine and should check it out if you get the opportunity, particularly if you're a fan of old-school arcade classics! Thumbs Up
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

DarakuTenshi
Very nice... the Lynx 1 was my favorite out of the 2 models. I had a 2nd model and ended up getting rid of it a couple years back.

NEO-GEO man
Chiba, did you spend much time playing Paperboy on it? Since you were a paperboy you should have been good at it!!! Wink

Chiba3010
@Daraku: Thanks! Yeah, even 20 years later I still need my California Games/Joust fix on regular occasions. That usually gets me going and I usually end up playing at least two or three more titles before tucking the system back into its soft-case until its next call to action. Wink

I like the solid, sturdy feel of the model 1 Lynx as well as its crisper, clearer sound and scratch-resistant glass screen. Plus, I think it's design is more stylish and classy in its simplicity. A more "high-end" appearance than the model 2.

Some people complain that the model 1's grey color is painted on but you'd have to be pretty rough on it to leave visible scratches. I haven't left any on mine after years of (at minimum) monthly play.

Chiba3010
NEO-GEO man wrote:

Chiba, did you spend much time playing Paperboy on it? Since you were a paperboy you should have been good at it!!! Wink

Lol- of course! The childhood career that put a Lynx in my hands deserved respresentation. Seemed only fitting that it's among my most frequently played Lynx games. Wink

Though if I had to put up with half the sh*t the game throws at you on my actual paper route, I'd likely be enjoying the rest of my meals through a straw and on very unfavorable terms with the parents who sent me out into a suburban death trap on a bike.Shock

Jump to Forum: