Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Powerwave
Thread ID: 899
Thread Info
There are 31 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7751 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
neo geo games on the saturn
Powerwave
im a big fan of neo geo games but im not always willing to shell out hundreds for games, so i sometimes choose the saturn over the neo geo for my snk games, there cheap, the graphics are as good and the saturn controls are still great. i have kof 95 and real bout fatal fury special, waku waku 7 and a few more for the saturn. are these particular games much better than the saturn versions? whats your guys' opinion on the sega saturn and its neo conversions :eh:

Kazuya_UK
I only owned a Saturn for a relatively short time, but due to the RAM cart and the Saturn generally being good for 2D games, they were pretty good and better than their PSOne counterparts by a country mile. I don't have a Saturn anymore, but I still have my Waku Waku CD - I still put the CD in and listen to the soundtrack, it's fantastic.

The Capcom ports to the Saturn were generally very good too!

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Kurisu
Powerwave: Like you I originally played SNK stuff on the Saturn (and then Dreamcast). They are all excellent translations, BUT, having recently decided to buy an AES, I find that the carts are actually better. I cannot explain why. the sound and graphics are almost identical. Perhaps its the feel and control using the joystick, or the satisfying clunk of the cart in the slot, or knowing you ARE playing the arcade game, I don't know, but it does seem to be adifferent and better experience. The option to display the text in English is also a bonus, anf then there is the fantastic cart boxes.......The Saturn and Dreamcast are two of the best consoles you can buy. Have you got KoF Best Collection for the Saturn?
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

THX-1138
Actually i just bought a modded Saturn that can play US/Japanese/PAL games and has a switch to flick between 50/60hz so i'll be buying some SNK games on the Saturn. You need the RAM cart right? Anyway the KOF and Samurai Spirits games on the Saturn are what i want first. I bought 2 games to play with it, Guardian Heroes and Clockwork Knight.

Powerwave
Kurisu wrote:
Powerwave: Like you I originally played SNK stuff on the Saturn (and then Dreamcast). They are all excellent translations, BUT, having recently decided to buy an AES, I find that the carts are actually better. I cannot explain why. the sound and graphics are almost identical. Perhaps its the feel and control using the joystick, or the satisfying clunk of the cart in the slot, or knowing you ARE playing the arcade game, I don't know, but it does seem to be adifferent and better experience. The option to display the text in English is also a bonus, anf then there is the fantastic cart boxes.......The Saturn and Dreamcast are two of the best consoles you can buy. Have you got KoF Best Collection for the Saturn?

i agree i have an aes and i always prefer owning a neo original but i want to buy kof 96 and when u compare the aes price at 50 to the saturn version thats 5 with the controllers being the only major difference, the saturn often wins for me. i don't have best collection what is it? i have only kof 95 for the saturn.

Kurisu
THX - Most of the decent fighting games require the 4MB RAM cartridge, although some of the earlier games used a 1MB version. The 4MB version will cover all bases. However I would recommend you track down a Datel Action Replay 4 in 1 cartridge. That's what I use. It provides;
-Ability to play games from any region (I know you don't need this)
-Additional RAM memory storage for game saves (very useful)
-Cheat codes
-4MB RAM cartridge capability
all in one sweet cartridge.

The KoF Best Collection is a neat boxed set that includes KoF 95, 96 and 97, plus the ROM cartridge for KoF 95 (this never used the RAM cartridge - all the backgrounds (I think) were held on the ROM cartridge and these loaded in at the same time the CD was being read).
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

THX-1138
Kurisu wrote:
THX - Most of the decent fighting games require the 4MB RAM cartridge, although some of the earlier games used a 1MB version. The 4MB version will cover all bases. However I would recommend you track down a Datel Action Replay 4 in 1 cartridge. That's what I use. It provides;
-Ability to play games from any region (I know you don't need this)
-Additional RAM memory storage for game saves (very useful)
-Cheat codes
-4MB RAM cartridge capability
all in one sweet cartridge.

The KoF Best Collection is a neat boxed set that includes KoF 95, 96 and 97, plus the ROM cartridge for KoF 95 (this never used the RAM cartridge - all the backgrounds (I think) were held on the ROM cartridge and these loaded in at the same time the CD was being read).

Cool, thanks for the info.

Powerwave
thanks kurisa i only need kof 96 i already have 97 on my aes, so ile just get it seperate, i have a 4mb memory card that allows any region. which games require the 4mb i only have games that require a 1mb

Mikoto
Only Capcom games uses the 4MB cart. SNK games only uses 1 MB.

Kurisu
Spot on Mikoto! To confirm:

- 99% of Saturn games do not use a RAM cart
- SNK games (e.g. Metal Slug) use the 1MB cart, but the 4MB works fine. My 1MB RAM cart was actually produced by SNK
- The larger Capcom games use the 4MB cart
- Some games that require a RAM cart also work without one, it's just - you get more animation when using the cart
- Sometimes you will get a collection where one disk requires a RAM cart and one doesn't. An example is the Capcom Dungeon and Dragons Collection. The first game runs without a RAM cart whilst the second game needs one!

The lesson of all this is get a 4MB RAM cart and you can play absolutely everything!

Hope this helps

Mikoto
Actually, I must correct my previous statement. There are at least two non Capcom games that do utilize the 4 MB cart. Those are Pia Carrot 2 and Noel 3.

Got to love the exceptions that make up these information jungles ;-)

Kurisu
THX - if you want a 4MB RAM cartridge then videogameimports.com are selling them for 12! Can thoroughly recommend Lee and his staff. Great and very quick service. Normally next day delivery in the UK.

pollux
I've played ports on nearly every console now, and I can say that the Saturn's are as good as any other console, and actually better than most, especially the PS1. KOF games on the PS1 suck.

However, nothing is good as the real thing. I recently compared all the new PS2 ports that are coming out to my AES, and the animation is still just prettier on the AES IMHO.

Speaking of PS2, if you're wanting to play some of the newer Neo games (as well as old) and still aren't wanting or able to shell out the money for the AES version, a PS2 would be a worthy investment considering all the ports out now.

Even with just a U.S. one, you now have to pick from:
KOF 02/03
KOF 00/01
Fatal Fury Battle Archives 1 (2 is coming out later this month)
Art of Fighting Anthology
World Heroes Anthology
Metal Slug Anthology
SNK Classics Vol 1 (out this month)
Samurai Shodown Anthology (out later this year)
And also KOF XI is on it.

Also, SNK released the classic Neo stick and Neo CD pad for the PS2.

BTW, I love the Saturn. I think it's one of the best 3 consoles ever.
Edited by pollux on 06. April 2008 04:30

Powerwave
so true my friend saturn rocks

STE C
I have a Saturn which has been switched for 60hz & jap games . I bough it for Capcom games but also picked up KOF 96, SS3 ,SS4 and can confirm they are all top conversions and pretty cheap to get on ebay. Did get some grahics problems with SS4 using 4 meg acart so just stick to 1 meg if youre not bothered about capcom games

Powerwave
sounds like a fun way to be playing those classics, and im glad they play to the maximum without any problems

RiKo
I actually found that I have Waku Waku 7 on my Saturn - I have never played it though. I would imagine there to be some animation differences. The Edge guide I own says 'The Neo Geo version soundly trumps this' although it does say the Saturn version is very good. I am glad I have the Neo version now, but the Saturn is a very nice machine.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Powerwave
i would say the mvs version does trump the saturn version but the saturn version is the best your going to get on a home console give it ago sometime riko there is a realy good vesus mode on the saturn version and a good remixed soundtrack

NeoGeoNinja
Ey Up Lads!

I have all the SNK Saturn Ports (I'm a fan/geek see) and they all play great. Even without owning the Neo original of WakuWaku7, I can still confirm that there are very minor issues with the Satun ver... mainly a little bit of slowdown here and there that I WOULD IMAGINE is not present on the AES/MVS ver(?) I'm GUESSING its silky smooth and problem free on the NG? Yummy

I HAVE HAD... 3x 4in1 carts over the years because I've had problems with them (First two 'died' and the 3rd one froze up all the time when tranferring save games from internal to 4in1) so I'm now onto my 4th one! Shrug

DUE TO THE UNFORSEEN... expiry of my 4in1's I had to resort to using my MSHvsSF 4MB cart for all my Capcom & SNK games. I can reliably confirm that the 4mb is NOT compatible with a all of SNK's ports... particularly RBFF... the game loads 'n' all, but the enemy character sprites come out all pixellated, weirdo, mumbojumbo... I think I had problems with KOF96 too! Best with a 1mb for those should you choose not to invest in the 4in1, which a Kurisu has already recommended, works perfectly with both CAP & SNK games... EVEN TO THIS DAY... MSHvsSF & XMvsSF on the Saturn are a sight to behold... breathtaking stuff! MVC2... WTF went wrong!!? Hmm

DIFFERENCES I WOULD... guess between the NEO ver's & the Saturn ports? Well, the KOF games, aside 95, which sadly uses it's own ROM cart which means removing the 4in1 to play it (trust me, I NEVER recommend removing it once it's in as complications may occur), both/96&97 have a very minor load window between fights - around 2-3 seconds. If your a Neo owner (YES you Powerwave) I would probably recommend getting the Neo original for 50... I'd say the excess is well worth it... AND I DON'T even own a NeoGeo!! Angry

ON THE FLIP SIDE... all the ports are VERY faithful BUT if you own an AES/MVS, depending on the price difference between the vers. (like 300 & 15... hell, go for the 15 ver!), then if I owned the NGeo, I always get the NEO original (In my case, regardless of price AND NO... I don't have the money too :( )

FINALLY... in reference to the recommendation (by can't remember who!) of the KOF Best Collection, the only thing I'd mention is that it comes with the 95 ROM Cart but ODDLY doesn't contain the SNK 1mb cart(?)... This isn't a problem of course should you own the 4in1 or indeed another SNK 1mb cart boxset Thumbs Up

HOPE ALL THIS RABBLE HELPS LOL

Ninja

Powerwave
ure ranting is always usefull ninja. i feel now that saturn ports are always good and represent the originals pretty well but i still like to go for my mvs carts on my neo with a converter best of all, theres nothing like an original.

Jump to Forum: