Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 87
This Thread Is Sticky
This thread is sticky & may contain important information. There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Recent game purchases
DarakuTenshi
Greendog is one of those games that will always stick out in my memory from my childhood. It's games like that... they weren't necessarily the best games ever, but they really stuck out for what ever reason. Just like Toejam and Earl.

reelmojo
Yeah I know what you mean. When I'm playing Greendog I feel like I shouldn't be enjoying it as much as I am. I remember being very interested in it when I was a kid before I owned a Genesis. Of course, by the time I did own one Sonic was out so I forgot other platformers existed for a while.

Murikov
merlin wrote:
I completed Metro 2033 and am currently on my second playthrough trying to get the alternate ending this time. An excellent game with an engaging story and creepy atmosphere. Traveling through the Moscow metro system after the outside world has been ravaged by nuclear war, facing vicious mutants and hostile factions is an epic journey. Some of those mutants were quite scary especially the 'Librarians' in the Depository!

Nice to read you liked it! The librarians were especially memorable, East-European mutant artwork at its best. In case you're interested, the novels are pretty good too (except for the second book). Besides the main plot around Artyom, there are several spin-offs taking place in other Metro systems like the one of St. Petersburg. Metro 2033: Piter for example is absolutely fantastic.

Have you already noticed how many details the developers built in? For example, while searching for the documents in the state library, one of your comrades picks up a book called 'Roadside Picnic' and says the book would remind him of something. In fact Roadside Picnic was the novel on which Stalker, the 1979 film, was based. The film on the other hand was the main inspiration for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, and therefore also Metro 2033.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

merlin
Thanks for the info Murikov. I hardly ever read fiction these days but the story really appeals to me so I may well check out the Metro novels. I noticed on Wikipedia it mentions there's going to be a film adaptation too which is exciting news.

I don't remember when that happened in the library but I'll check it out next time. The anomalies in the game reminded me of Stalker and also at the start of the Dead City level Bourbon talks about 'Stalkers'. I still haven't watched that 1979 Stalker film.

reelmojo
My Genesis collection grew significantly again today. I bought every boxed game for the Genesis that the local game shop had as long as it wasn't a sports game. Oh, and one sports game. A few of these I just bought so that he'd give me a deal on the games I really wanted. And it worked. Over $100 worth of games for $65. All CIB unless otherwise noted:

Robocop 3
Alien 3
Contra: Hard Corps (in a rental box so pretty much loose)
Comix Zone
Eternal Champions
Eternal Champions (no book)
Sonic Spinball
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
American Gladiators
B.O.B.
Demolition Man
Tecmo Super Bowl III
Ms. Pac Man
Golden Axe II

Comix Zone was by far the most expensive one. It even has the bonus disc in it still though, so that's awesome. Some of these are doubles for me so they'll either be given away or sold off on Ebay. I've tested about half of them so far and I have to say that Demolition Man is the biggest surprise so far. It's not perfect, but it's really fun and much much better than I expected.

EDIT: Genesis collection just hit 70 games. 45 CIB, 51 if you count doubles but some of those doubles will be leaving soon.
Edited by reelmojo on 08. March 2013 03:15

cthulhu
Even though I really don't like SF3 3rd Strike, I've bought SF3 2nd Impact...way better stages and the music is also better.
cthulhu attached the following image:
sf3_2i.jpg

My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Murikov
cthulhu wrote:
Even though I really don't like SF3 3rd Strike, I've bought SF3 2nd Impact...way better stages and the music is also better.

Agree about 3rd Strike's graphical and musical presentation, 'New Generation' and '2nd Impact' are far more gorgeous. A complete version with all characters, music tracks and stages would have been great.

And thumbs up for the plush Cthulhu on the top of the cab! Thumbs Up
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

priest
Chtulhu: Nice purchase! I´ve been a been put off to buy SF3 because of the somewhat delicate system it runs on...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
cthulhu
priest wrote:

Chtulhu: Nice purchase! I´ve been a been put off to buy SF3 because of the somewhat delicate system it runs on...

Thanks. I dont know how delicate the CPS-3 system is, but my board has a small problem with the volume pot. If not in a good position, the volume drops almost completely after a while and gives some crackling sounds...just find the "sweet spot" and everything's fine. The nice thing about SFIII 2I is the fact that the security cartridge actually doesn't need a battery, so if you remove it, the cartridge doesn't suicide.
For the first time I'm actually enjoying SFIII, the music is still not as good as it used to be and not even close to SNK's soundtracks, but it's acceptable and a lot better than the horrible music from SFIII 3rd Strike. The stages are so much better than the well drawn but extremely boring ones from 3rd Strike, some of the stages in 2I have breakable objects and most have nice background animation. Gill is still a cheap bastard though.
The only thing missing now is the kick harness...the parts are on their way...quite difficult to play this game with only three buttons.
My arcade stuff

reelmojo
Just snagged an Ebay auction at a ridiculously low price of $9.99 for:

Streets of Rage 2 (CIB)
Fatal Fury 2 (CIB)
Adventures of Batman and Robin (loose)

Finding games bundled together like that is a great way to get things for much less than what they're worth. SOR2 alone is worth $20.

Also stopped at a local used game shop and picked up a few things:

Golden Axe (CIB, Sega Classic variant)
Prince of Persia (Genesis, CIB)
Jade Empire: Limited Edition (XBox, CIB)
Re-Volt (DC, CIB)
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (DC, CIB)

merlin
I bought another CP System game recently: Pnickies. It cost 7350 Yen and was bought from Sophia Corp. Seems to be quite a rare PCB so I'm surprised the price was so low. I guess it's just not a very well known or popular game.

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/Pnickies_zps7593aa83.jpg

reelmojo
Pnickies looks like it would be really fun in multiplayer. I have to wonder if anyone who worked on it eventually worked on Puzzle Fighter.

merlin
Never actually tried it in multiplayer but I'm sure it would be really good. I expect some of the same Compile staff who developed Pnickies may have also worked on the Puyo Puyo arcade games.

Sounds like you've built up quite an impressive Genesis collection now Reelmojo. Some nice additions there especially Golden Axe. I was playing the arcade version quite a bit on Mame during the week.

DarakuTenshi
I picked up Pokemon Yellow again... not that big of news, I sure have missed this game.

reelmojo
Thanks, Merlin. I absolutely love the Golden Axe series and eventually will have a complete collection of all of them including the crappy Game Gear spin-off staring Ax Battler. I already have Golden Axe Warrior which is one of the more expensive games in the series (but worth every penny) so the biggest hurdle in my way now is importing Golden Axe III... unless I get really serious and add a Revenge of Death Adder arcade board to my collection.

Although I've been really focusing on collecting Genesis games I took a trip today to all of the thrift stores and pawn shops in the area to see what I could find and didn't come home with a single one. I got a few other games at good prices though.

The Mark of Kri (PS2)
Rage (360)
Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)
Tomb Raider (PS1, black label)
Devil Dice (PS1)
Playstation Underground V2.4
Dr. Mario (NES, CIB)

For those who don't know, Playstation Underground was a "magazine" of sorts in the US during the PS1 days. Instead of an actual paper magazine though it came on two PS1 discs loaded with trailers, behind the scenes videos, game demos, and even some demos of import games that would never see the light of day in the US. There were 4 issues a year so V2.4 means this was the last issue of the second year.

cthulhu
Today, I've removed the suicide battery from the SFIII 2I cartridge and after some simple soldering, I've got it working. Now I've got SFIII 2I with a Zombie cartridge working completely without the infamous suicide battery...no more worrying about changing batteries for me!!! I'm so relieved that it worked out and that I've not killed the game.

Oh yeah, also got another arcade game on it's way...one that I've been wanting for a long time. Pictures when it arrives...
My arcade stuff

priest
Chtulhu: That is really great news, well doneThumbs Up

I can´t wait to see which game you´ve bought this time...Stress

cthulhu
priest wrote:

Chtulhu: That is really great news, well doneThumbs Up

I can´t wait to see which game you´ve bought this time...Stress

Thanks...now I can even burn the ISO from other CPS-3 games when they're released and install them on the mobo and use the SFIII 2I cart as security cartridge...someone is changing the ISO of all games so they'll work with the Zombie cartridge.

All I want to say about my new buy is that it's a Fighter that's not released on any console and that it's not properly emulated in MAME.
It's coming from Germany, so it probably not going to take long to arrive with DHL.
My arcade stuff

cthulhu
My new game arrived today:

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/AsuraBlade.jpg

Fantastic game that I've wanted for quite a while, very glad that I've bought it.
My arcade stuff

priest
Chtulhu: So this is THE long awaited game, eh?

Seems to be inspired quite a bit from games like Waku waku 7 and Samurai spirits.

Look at this Asura Blade character, Zam-B...Reminds more than a bit of Genan of Samurai spirits...

YouTube Video

Still...enjoy, Chtulhu Thumbs Up

Jump to Forum: