Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 87
This Thread Is Sticky
This thread is sticky & may contain important information. There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Recent game purchases
reelmojo
All of these PGM purchases around here recently are making me jealous! I never played The Kill Blade Plus but the original is awesome.

A few more purchases:

Vectorman (Gen, complete in box)
Ni No Kuni (PS3, preorder)

And a few games I bought for a friend for his birthday (which means I'll be playing them too of course):

Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1, complete in box)
Tobal No. 1 (PS1, complete in box... including FFVII demo)

He's trying to focus his game collecting efforts more on PS1. I'm trying to focus more on the Genesis so a lot of games that I have loose copies of are going to be replaced with CIB copies. Vectorman has that awesome foil box art so I had to start there.

Salvio007
Ni No Kuni (PS3, preorder)

This game looks amazing.. I'm totally going to preorder it!
I'm glad you posted this Wink
25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m527e2p3hM1rxyg89o1_400.gif25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljzgezNc6s1qjpq6to1_400.gif

cthulhu
reelmojo wrote:

All of these PGM purchases around here recently are making me jealous! I never played The Kill Blade Plus but the original is awesome.

Buy one if you have a cab/ supergun...the system is quite cheap and so are the games. A consolized PGM can be quite expensive though.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

reelmojo
I don't have a cab or a supergun, but I definitely see myself getting one one day. A consolized PGM would be epic but yeah, I've priced them and it's a bit more than I'd like to spend.

And yeah, Salvio, I'm pretty excited for Ni No Kuni. There's a demo on PSN which I recommend trying if you haven't yet. I wasn't 100% sure I was going to get it on release day until I played the demo.

A few more cheap pickups today:

Jak and Daxter (PS2)
MDK (PS1)
Blaster Master (NES)

And an SNK classic

Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf.

I definitely bought that solely because it's an SNK game. Then again I had a lot of fun with Nintendo's own Golf as a kid so it could be pretty fun. Worth the $1 I spent on it at least.

reelmojo
This is probably going to be my biggest post in this thread ever. I'll start with a few ranom pick ups I've gotten over the last few weeks, all CIB unless otherwise noted...

Red Faction (PS2)
Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 1 (PS2)
Dante's Inferno (PS3)
Stubbs the Zombie (XBox)
Lotus Turbo Challenge (Gen)
Lotus II (Gen
Ms. Pacman (Gen)
Iron Tank (NES - cart only)
Little Nemo (NES - cart only)
Psyconauts (PSN)
Machinarium (PSN)
Jak and Daxter HD (PSN)

All except the PSN games were from Press A to Play, an independent game store in my town. When I was buying a few of those the guy who owns the place mentioned something about letting go of a bunch of his PS1 games that he had on a shelf behind the counter for $125. What he didn't expect is for me to come back today and take him up on his offer. I had to deal a little bit to get him to throw in a more expensive game with the rest, but I definitely walked away with a great deal and a much bigger collection. All CIB...

Crash Team Racing (greatest hits)
King of Fighters '99 (black label)
Pacman World (greatest hits)
Frogger 2 (black label)
Croc (greatest hits)
Street Fighter Collection (black label, contains SSFII, SSFIIT, and SFA2 Gold)
Riven (black label)
Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat (black label)
Rayman (greatest hits)
Time Crisis (black label)
Crash Bandicoot (black label)
Spiderman (greatest hits)
Spyro the Dragon (greatest hits)
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (black label, foil cover)
Spyro: Year of the Dragon (black label)
Electronic Arts Collector's Edition (sealed, includes Medal of Honor, Tomorrow Never Dies, and 007 Racing)
Tomba! (black label)
Micro Machines (Gen)

Tomba, as you might have guessed, was the game he didn't want to include so I had to not include a few games that would have either been doubles for me anyway (like Resident Evil 2) or that I just didn't care about (Q-Bert, Life). I showed an interest in Micro Machines but wasn't going to buy it and he ended up just putting on the stack for me anyway. $125 is a steal for all of that though. Tomba alone is worth more than $60!

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/pressa125_zpsf3c6e15c.jpg

So yeah. More games than I could ever play. Collector's curse.
Edited by reelmojo on 07. February 2013 22:27

-SD-
Fantastic condition boxed Atomiswave with Hokuto no Ken Beard

img507.imageshack.us/img507/4858/imageazn.jpg

There's a few more games for the system I would like to get: KoV: Seven Spirits, Dolphin Blue, KoFXI, The Rumble Fish and maybe its sequel... possibly even Neowave and Battle Coliseum.

I also had KoV2: Nine Dragons and The Gladiator for PGM arrive recently, pics in the PGM thread. And Final Fight on CPS1, but that was for Leighton, it just came from the same person I brought the Atomiswave from.
Edited by -SD- on 08. February 2013 02:20
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

merlin
Congrats SD. The Atomiswave has some excellent games and of course Hokuto no Ken is an awesome fighter. Don't know if you've tried it but I think the 3d beat 'em up Demolish Fist is well worth getting too. It has some pretty cool boss designs like an armoured car and I like how you can go into berserk mode and also throw cars at enemies!

-SD- wrote:

Final Fight on CPS1

Thumbs Up

-SD-
Not a game, but an SLG3000

img163.imageshack.us/img163/7841/imagekne.jpg

The monitor in my Astro is a brand new tri-sync, but they are known for having overly strong scan-lines when running in 240p. So I'm going to perform a little experiment to get the best picture possible for PGM and Atomiswave. I'm going to try a straight 240p connection just to see how it looks first. Then VGA via the SLG and in the case of the PGM, that'll be going through a CGA2VGA scaler first. It'll be interesting to see if the Atomiswave looks better in 240p or 480p with added scan-lines.

I've never played Demolish Fist, the only game I had before was KoV:SS, so that'll most likely be my next purchase 'cos it's awesome.
Edited by -SD- on 08. February 2013 23:50

reelmojo
Just upgraded Rocket Knight Adventures to a CIB copy. Also picked up Wiz 'N' Liz in the box (no manual though). My year of the Genesis keeps on trucking.

-SD-
I always loved Rocket Knight, although I can never remember if it was the SNES or Megadrive version that I had.

I was quite please that the recent PSN game turned out so well, considering most remakes are less than awesome. It was the first proper 'difficult' platformer than my Son got on with after Kirby and Klonoa.

merlin
Finally managed to track down Strider after searching for a long time. One of my favourite
arcade games so I'm happy to finally add it to the collection. Also ordered 2 PC games from Amazon: Metro 2033 and FEAR 3. The story/setting in Metro 2033 sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of the FEAR series but never got round to trying the third game.

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/strider_zpsb9065d9d.jpg

DarakuTenshi
I bought a NGPC so I could mod it with a front lit screen. I got it intoday only to find out that I purchased a NGP instead Pfft Oh well, I've been wanting one of these too. I just have to find some games that will work on it.

img651.imageshack.us/img651/1579/ngpz.jpg

Murikov
merlin wrote:
Also ordered 2 PC games from Amazon: Metro 2033 and FEAR 3. The story/setting in Metro 2033 sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of the FEAR series but never got round to trying the third game.

Tell me how you liked Metro after completing it (hint: there is a hidden ending too). Until today I think it's splendid, way better than certain Western first person shooters (yawn). As for the FEAR series, I only really liked the first game. The sequels weren't that appealing to me, after playing FEAR 2 for about 1 hour I already put it aside. :(

@Daraku: Nice looking NGCP, I really wish I had one with front lit screen too! Thumbs Up
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

-SD-
Ginga Force

img13.imageshack.us/img13/6760/imageaas.jpg

merlin
Murikov wrote:
Tell me how you liked Metro after completing it (hint: there is a hidden ending too). Until today I think it's splendid, way better than certain Western first person shooters (yawn). As for the FEAR series, I only really liked the first game. The sequels weren't that appealing to me, after playing FEAR 2 for about 1 hour I already put it aside. :(

Currently on Chapter 5 of Metro 2033 and liking it so far. It reminds me of both Rage and Stalker. I'll post my thoughts once I've completed it.

Did you play the expansions to the first FEAR game? Both excellent especially Perseus Mandate which is my favourite part of the series. Although not quite as good as the original I really enjoyed FEAR 2. The slow-mo gun fights feel as satisfying as ever. Worth giving it another try some time Murikov. Maybe you'll start to enjoy it more. There are so many memorable parts later on in the game such as when you're controlling a giant mech.

Murikov
merlin wrote:
Did you play the expansions to the first FEAR game? Both excellent especially Perseus Mandate which is my favourite part of the series. Although not quite as good as the original I really enjoyed FEAR 2. The slow-mo gun fights feel as satisfying as ever. Worth giving it another try some time Murikov. Maybe you'll start to enjoy it more. There are so many memorable parts later on in the game such as when you're controlling a giant mech.

And yep, I also played all expansions. From those I liked Extraction Point most, some parts of it were quite epic and the level design was quite a step forward to the main game (leaving the endless offices and basements for once). And still it remained faithful to the main game's gameplay and quality.

I may give FEAR 2 another go, last time I stopped playing in that test chamber where those replica soldiers keep coming out of tubes to storm you. And am I wrong or is the A.I. in FEAR 2 way worse than in the original? I was dissapointed of how stupid the enemies sometimes reacted. Also, the new colourful character designs... Meh...

gamerinvestments.com/video-game-stocks/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/fear-2-slo-mo-dlc3.JPG

Compared to the prequel's:
extreme.pcgameshardware.de/attachments/217340d1271451908-gesucht-die-besten-shooter-screenshots-ever-fear2-003.jpg

But yes, the bullet time gunfights are always fun. You get a real John Woo feeling to it, especially when taking out the dual 9mm's in the first one. Yay.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Glowsquid
And am I wrong or is the A.I. in FEAR 2 way worse than in the original?

I can't find the source atm, but apparently a developer admitted they dumbed down the AI to make te game more suitable to console controllers.

Murikov
Glowsquid wrote:
I can't find the source atm, but apparently a developer admitted they dumbed down the AI to make te game more suitable to console controllers.

Gosh, so much for multi-platform gaming. Real Sad Thanks for the info, although that's quite a kick in the teeth for every PC gamer...
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

merlin
The AI in FEAR 2 seems ok to me. About average for an fps I'd say. The enemies often make use of cover.

I completed Metro 2033 and am currently on my second playthrough trying to get the alternate ending this time. An excellent game with an engaging story and creepy atmosphere. Traveling through the Moscow metro system after the outside world has been ravaged by nuclear war, facing vicious mutants and hostile factions is an epic journey. Some of those mutants were quite scary especially the 'Librarians' in the Depository!

There are plenty of neat ideas in the game such as the currency of higher grade ammo, pneumatic weapons and using the electricity charger. It's nice also that you have the option of using stealth to get through some areas if you want. There's a fair amount of variety between the different areas too.

I really enjoyed the game and would recommend others to check it out. Thanks for telling me about it Murikov.

YouTube Video

reelmojo
I just went to the best game store ever, but it was so good that it deserved its own thread so here I'll just post what I bought...

Super Mario Bros. 2 (CIB, NES)
Outrun 2019 (CIB, Gen)
Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude (CIB, Gen)
Gunvalkyrie (CIB, XBox)
Star Wars The Clone Wars and Tetris Worlds 2 pack (CIB, XBox)
Blood Wake (CIB, XBox)
Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future (CIB, PS2)
Rush 2 (loose, N64)
Sonic Chaos (w/plastic case, Game Gear)

The last 2 were from a pawn shop we stopped at on the way to Chicago. Super Mario 2 is probably my favorite game of all time and I've needed a CIB copy of it since the day I started collecting games. They had three of them at People Play Games so I even got to select the one in the best condition. And honestly, it's beautiful. Almost zero visible wear on anything, comes with all original inserts, and the cart itself looks so good that I wouldn't be surprised if it had never been played before I tested it. Of course, it'll never leave the box again now since I'll just play my loose copy whenever I need some SMB2 action.

The next step in my SMB2 love affair would be Yume Kojo Doki Doki Panic, and a working FDS to play it on... yeah, probably not gonna happen.

EDIT: I just looked it up on Ebay and nevermind, one day that will definitely happen! I guess I thought the FDS was more expensive than it is.
Edited by reelmojo on 26. February 2013 01:16

Jump to Forum: