Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 87
This Thread Is Sticky
This thread is sticky & may contain important information. There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Recent game purchases
cthulhu
priest wrote:

Lots of nice purchases as of lately, especially Chtulhu´s PCB aquisitions.

...Have the D&D PCB:s been 'phoenixed'?

Thanks. Nope, they still have the batteries. I want to keep them origianl as long as possible. Not that hard to change the batteries every 5 years or so.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

reelmojo
This week I was in Chicago so of course I stopped over at People Play Games and picked up a few things.

Final Fantasy Origins Strategy Guide
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (XBox)
Advent Rising (XBox)
Still Life (XBox)
Ecco the Dolphin II (GG, Japanese import)
Crusader of Centy (Gen)

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/PPG2-1_zps62a6d866.jpg

Obviously Crusader of Centy is the main attraction here. It's been the number 1 game I've been looking for for over a year and I finally got it!

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/PPG2-2_zps18dca1b7.jpg

Definitely the new crown jewel of my collection.

LIFE_IN_2D
Finally bought Miracle Adventure.

It's in great condition. Only other AES game on my must-get list is Last Resort.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoGeoNinja
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:

Finally bought Miracle Adventure.

It's in great condition. Only other AES game on my must-get list is Last Resort.

Nice! Thumbs Up

I fancy that myself at some point. When finances allow(!), I like to now try and mix n match my Neo gaming interests - between dead certs and new experiences.

My definitive shortlist includes: AOF3, Ninja Masters and SSVSpecial. Yeah... the cheap stuff.

My intrigue shortlist includes: Viewpoint, Mutation Nation, Spinmaster & NAM 75 (uncensored cover!)

Pretty much have all the fighting games you could want, but those 3 are still stand out wants for me - with Kabuki Klash and Ragnagard on the outer cusp.
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

RiKo
Great purchase 2D Thumbs Up Had one of the best times ever playing Miracle Adventure in co-op with a friend. He kept repeating "What the f*ck is going on? this is insane. and then laughing uncontrollably" It was the first time I had played it too and our yo-yos were just flying everywhere as we hopefully hammered the buttons.

My friend also much preferred the name Miracle Adventure to Spinmaster. (if you have Unibios you can change it at will) . I agree, Spinmaster is one of those 'Let's try hard to be cool' names whereas Miracle Adventure just doesn't care if it's cool or not. Great game.

@Ninja - def get Viewpoint, Mircale Adventure! and AOF3. Those are the 3 that stand out for me there.
Edited by RiKo on 09. April 2014 22:34
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
So I was just about to leave for a friend's house the other day when Martin from the local videogame store texted me to tell me he just got in some complete in box Genesis games that I should check out. First off, it's fucking awesome that the owner of a videogame store tells me about his Genesis games before even putting them out for sale. Second, it's even more awesome when one of them turns out to be exceedingly rare, in near mint condition, and he's willing to bundle it with other things and give me a much lower price than I'd pay anywhere else. I present to you, the new Crown Jewel of my Sega CD collection: Shining Force CD!

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/SFCD_zps433f37a9.png

I also got (all CIB unless otherwise noted):

Aladdin (Gen)
Wolverine: Adamantium Rage (Gen)
Y's: The Vanished Omens (SMS)
Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord (SMS)
Columns (Gen, Sega Classic version)
Shining Force (sadly no manual)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (European Mega Drive version!)
Out Run (SMS)
Sega Genesis Power Base Converter

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/PressA042214_zps11225e45.png

I know the European Mega Drive version of Sonic 2 isn't exciting to most of you guys, but when you live in Ohio you just don't expect to find things like that in the wild. And that Power Base Converter is the first one I've ever seen in person too. Definitely had to snatch that up (for those who don't know, that's the add-on that lets you play SMS games on your Genesis).

So now that I have all 16-bit Shining Force games (counting Shining in the Darkness) I suppose I should get playing. That's gonna be quite a time sink!

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:

I also got (all CIB unless otherwise noted):

Aladdin (Gen)
Wolverine: Adamantium Rage (Gen)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (European Mega Drive version!)

I know the European Mega Drive version of Sonic 2 isn't exciting to most of you guys, but when you live in Ohio you just don't expect to find things like that in the wild.

You finding a Euro copy of Sonic 2 in the wild AND being happy about it excites me, to an extent. It's just cool that you found it, bought it and enjoy it's obscurity. After all, why would PAL titles show up in the US...?

I know I've probably railed off about this in the past but, as you may (or may not know?) and... I don't intentionally mean any offense... I've never liked US style packaging or the US approach to games packing/artwork, ever.

That goes for the "Genesis" branding and obnoxious red "ID" associated with Genny titles and that HUGE logo atop the console itself. Shoulda been Blue. SEGA CD could've been Red later if it wanted, with 32-X being Yellow(?) and Saturn White... which was another tragic presentation misnomer imo, along with the SEGA CD style cases.

That red also made an unwelcome return via the N64's US counterparts too.

Anyway, by comparison, I've always liked the Euro/UK style Megadrive logo/brand identity and the reversed out SMS style "grid" packaging. They went with a shitty Blue design, not dissimilar to the Genesis' later titles (in Red), but the original black Grid design was best. I presume early Genny titles used the same concept, did they?

-

Also, Aladdin on the MD.Gen is great. I used to own it for BOTH MD & SNES and could never (well, didn't have to!) choose between them. They were both excellent in their own right whilst completely different games (same genre though).

Sadly, Adamantium Rage is poor. I sold it last year because, here in the UK, the PAL version is uncommon-rare and, as such, of value. I'd rather the money value not playing it.

You're MUCH better off with the excellent XMEN 2 and, to a lesser extent, XMEN... Smile
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
The earlier titles in the US did indeed use that SMS style design with a black grid replacing the white. For example, Kid Chameleon here:

www.videogameobsession.com/videogame/Genesis/SMD_VS_GEN/SMD-GEN-KidChameleon-vgo.jpg

I honestly never give much thought to the red diagonal stripes look since I'm so used to it. Although now that I think about it I do prefer artwork from later games that somehow got away with not using it. Rocket Knight Adventures and Flashback come to mind.

I never really noticed before but once they moved onto the Saturn they kept the same diagonal line pattern but switched the loud red colors for white and light grey. Much less offensive to the eyes I'd say.

And yeah, Adamantium Rage is freaking horrible. Almost completely uncontrollable. Of course, as a fan of both the Genesis and The X-Men it had to be in my collection. I may have felt differently about that if it were as pricey here as it seems to be in the UK.

There are a small handful of PAL games that I do plan on adding to my collection in the future (Snake Rattle 'N Roll and the Classics Collection that includes Gunstar Heroes come to mind). But buying a PAL Sonic game may have just put me on the path to getting every 16-bit Sonic from all three regions. I've thought about it before as they'd look awesome on display and for the most part wouldn't be expensive. The only thing really holding me back is Knuckles Chaotix which seems to be ungodly rare in both Japan and Europe. If I remember right the Japanese version goes for over $300. Just no.

neros
First post here Cool

I got two new PCB's

Osman aka Cannon Dancer, Mitchell Corp.
Strikers 1945 III, Psikyo.

Cannon Dancer have been on my list for a very long time and now I finally have it. It's the most beautiful game I have ever seen in my life!!

Strikers 1945 III is the best in series if you ask me. Great game!
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
cthulhu
I can cross another one off my wishlist.

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/DragonBlaze.jpg
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

reelmojo
Very very nice games there neros and cthulhu!

The only thing I've added to my collection recently is Metal Gear Solid...

...for Sega Genesis.

The Russian Mega Drive pirate scene is alive and well with new releases all the time. Most of them are horrible (look up Mega Drive Angry Birds for example), but I needed MGS. Not only am I a Genesis collector and a huge MGS fan, but MGS for Genesis is just a title screen hack and Russian translation of Crack Down so it's one of the few Russian pirate games that's actually fun! They come in cases that resemble Sega's clamshell packaging, only they're barely bigger than the cartridge itself which makes them look unique. None of them come with manuals as far as I know. They're usually only $20 on Ebay so if anything is interesting it's not a huge investment to try it out. I'd still recommend trying a rom before buying any of them though if only to make sure the game you're paying for is even remotely playable.

vas
Bought a few snk games for the ipad can do mini reviews on them if there is any intrest.

Kof I
Blazing star
Samurai showdown 2
Kof 97
Metal slug x
Metal slug
Metal slug 3

merlin
neros wrote:
Osman aka Cannon Dancer, Mitchell Corp.

Cannon Dancer have been on my list for a very long time and now I finally have it. It's the most beautiful game I have ever seen in my life!!

Congrats Neros! That must have been very expensive. I really really love Cannon Dancer. Awesome game! I have thought about buying it myself but the high cost put me off and I've decided to just stick to CP System games only. Coincidentally I found Cannon Dancer in one of the Sega arcades in Akihabara about two weeks ago. I had never seen it in any arcade before.

As mentioned in the other thread I did pick up a few WonderSwan games recently but I rarely buy any games these days. After a lot of thought I've decided to sell off all my NTSC-J PS2 games and PGM carts. I'll definitely miss those games but want to raise money for something else.

Henke
I doubled my JAP MD collection by adding this lot last week, and finally bought a Vectrex! Yay! Grin

www.vintagegames.se/forum/images/collection/collection_item_20388.jpg

www.vintagegames.se/forum/images/collection/collection_item_20390.jpg

www.vintagegames.se/forum/images/collection/collection_item_20389.jpg

vas
Love the vectrex wish I had one Cool

reelmojo
Finally bought a new PC. Suddenly I have access to like a million more games, so I'm a little overwhelmed right now. And that's not to mention all of the other things it can do that would have made my old PC spontaneously combust!

The first game I ran on my new high powered modern PC? Groove on Fight. Maybe I'll get around to playing something new at some point...

Henke
reelmojo wrote:

Obviously Crusader of Centy is the main attraction here. It's been the number 1 game I've been looking for for over a year and I finally got it!

Is the US version rare? I thought it was common since the PAL is.
Congrats!

reelmojo
Last I checked the PAL version sells for about the equivalent of $100 for a CIB copy, so not quite common but definitely cheaper. Yeah, the US version is to my knowledge the rarest officially released Genesis game. Add to that the fact that it's really good and you have a game that is very hard to find, especially in person. The fact that I even saw it in person is surprising enough, until you realize that the store I was in has things like the prototype cart for Star Fox 2 sitting around. On that vacation we went to an actual art museum that had paintings by artists like Van Gogh, and I was probably still just as impressed by the game store.

Henke
reelmojo wrote:

Last I checked the PAL version sells for about the equivalent of $100 for a CIB copy, so not quite common but definitely cheaper.

What! Oh no, really? Ebay? Damn. They usually sell for about 40 dollars on Tradera (Swedish Ebay).

Had no idea the Genesis version was so rare, congrats again to your find!

reelmojo
Yeah, Ebay being a US sight means anything that would have to be imported is a bit more expensive, especially in a case like this where the US equivalent is so pricey so sellers know that we're willing to pay more. I almost broke down and bought Soleil a while back, but now I'm certainly happy that I didn't!

I bought Mario Kart 8. Easily the best entry in the series since Double Dash. I'm absolutely loving playing online! Today I was doing races with 12 people from all around the world and didn't notice even the slightest bit of lag. If you've ever liked a kart racing game MK8 comes highly recommended.

Jump to Forum: