Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: pollux
Thread ID: 812
Thread Info
There are 36 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 11117 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
KOF with the best and worst backgrounds?
Goemon
Kazuya_UK wrote:
I did think that 02 had some decent backgrounds (like the Japan stage)

Kaz

I agree, i actually like the Japanese stage & the stage with the windmills alot.

About Kof XII, i'd say that it already annihilates KoF 2k-2k1 in terms of bg's based on the little we've seen so far alone. Smile
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

Kazuya_UK
Yea, there's so much movement and detail in the backgrounds, it shocked me a little because it's already starting to have an "old-SNK" kind of feel to it with all that detail. I can't wait to see more!

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
merlin
I don't know about the worst but when it comes to the best backgrounds I would pick KOF 98. It's got some really nice backgrounds my favourite being the Middle East stage.

Samuray
I'm catching up on all those great NeoGeo games right now and just finished KOF94. Before I go on I'd like to know the following: Does every KOF have a completely new set of backgrounds or are some of them only slightly altered from year to year?

Actually I'd also like to ask the same question in regard to the Fatal Fury saga from FF2 onward and to Samurai Shodown.

LIFE_IN_2D
My favorite is KOF 99, but I am sure many would disagree. KOF 2003 had some crappy backgrounds but I did like Mukai's stage, it looked pretty bad-ass. Also KOF 2001 had crappy backgrounds... at least we all agree on that.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Samuray
Samuray wrote:
I'm catching up on all those great NeoGeo games right now and just finished KOF94. Before I go on I'd like to know the following: Does every KOF have a completely new set of backgrounds or are some of them only slightly altered from year to year?

Actually I'd also like to ask the same question in regard to the Fatal Fury saga from FF2 onward and to Samurai Shodown.

Hmm, isn't there anyone you could answer this?

I'm pretty sure Fatal Fury Special uses most of FF2s backgrounds (or does it?), but I am less sure about KOF...

One Fu
All the stages featured from KOF 94-96 were great, atmosphere-wise. 97 would had been okay if they had music installed with them. 98 was excellent. 99-02 had more ugly then good looking stages. 03 was a mix bag. XI is a mix bag.

http://www.myspace.com/superboombox
Kazuya_UK
Samuray wrote:

Pretty much new backgrounds every year, only the character sprites get re-used for the most part. Wink

Again, pretty much all new backgrounds, but FF2/FFS share more or less the same ones. Ditto with Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2. Same deal with Samurai Shodown V/Special.

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
THX-1138
Best KOF backgrounds are in 94' and 98' in my opinion.

Worst are without question in KOF 2000 (bland) and 2001 (horrible).

Outside of KOF Mark Of The Wolves, Last Blade 2 and Samurai Spirits 2 have some of the most beautiful, atmospheric backgrounds i've ever seen.

Samuray
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Pretty much new backgrounds every year, only the character sprites get re-used for the most part. Wink

Again, pretty much all new backgrounds, but FF2/FFS share more or less the same ones. Ditto with Real Bout Special and Real Bout 2. Same deal with Samurai Shodown V/Special.

Kaz

Great, thanks! I'm looking forward to all those games even more now! (but World Heroes 2 is next)

Samuray
By the way, is there a list of KOF-backgrounds out there? Text-based, not pictures.

KenjiroFujiwara
What about KOF Neowave? In the PS2 ver. the backgrounds are semi 3D looking. I really like the Southeast Asia Temple Stage.

As for the worst, 2000 and 2001 takes the cake.

Zakatek
I think the best is KOF 96, worst 2001.

M-Kof
KOF 98, 97, and 02' UM is the best background in KOF series IMO.

and KOF 00' (the aquarium and bulldozer stage was a joke for me) has the worst background in KOF Series.

NeoGeoNinja
THE KOF'S WITH...
the BEST backgrounds (imo) are found in:

96, 95 & 99 (in that order!).

03 would be a runner up imo as I think it has SOME great looking BKGD's too.

the WORST backgrounds (imo) are found in:

02, 01 & 00 (in that order). For me, pound for pound, 02 is T H E worst designed KOF ever made (stages included). The gameplay is GREAT but it's just painful to look at and hear! The BKGDs in 01 ARE better than 02's imo... but that's not saying much I'm afraid.

98 would be runner up to these 3 imo (by a considerable margin though!!) as I think, whilst it has some NICE looking backgrounds, I feel they lack atmosphere and the locations really don't interest me at all. The boat stage in china is pretty cool as is the remains of the Kyokugen Dojo, BUT a middle eastern market place, Spain with some pillars in the BKGD, a road with some cars, a riverside dock etc... all a bit 'meh' to be honest. The BKGDs in this game are DEFINITELY a step down in overall quality imo. Far too tame...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

GeeseTheDuck
'99 has the best, 2001 has the worst.
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
Jump to Forum: