Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: pollux
Thread ID: 812
Thread Info
There are 36 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 11122 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
KOF with the best and worst backgrounds?
pollux
Which KOF game does everybody thinks has the best backrounds and which has the worst?

Goemon
KoF 98 has my fav. bg's overall. (99 & 96's come close though)

I'll just go ahead and answer for Kaz here also, 99 has his fav. bg's Grin

Worst bg's... I have a feeling KoF 01 isn't going to fare well in this thread.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

priest
My favorite background in a King of fighters game:question: Pick anyone out of 96,97 and 98 and you´ve got my answer (These are my fave games overall in the series)

Worst backgrounds in a KOF game:question: KOF2000

Smile

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Eightman
Kof 94 has(according to me) the worst backgrounds,bad drawn and faded coulor.
my top 3 is(not in order) 95.98.2003
And yes priest,kof2000 :eh:,i dont like that overall
" Its better to burn out, than fade away"(Highlander)

cthulhu
I would have to say '98 followed closely by '99.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Raiken
Dunno about best but I'd hands down I'd say 2k1 has the worst backgrounds.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

garu21
best KOF98 Thumbs Up
worst kof 2001 Thumbs Down

Kazuya_UK
96 and 99 have the best backgrounds (I do love 98 too, hell, everything up to 99 was good). I'll chime in with everyone else and say that 2001 is by far the worst background wise. A big part of the backgrounds for me though is not just he way they look, but also the atmosphere... and one of the biggest factors in the atmosphere is the music; and of course, 2001 has the worst music as well, so it's just nasty all round, even if the gameplay is actually not too bad at all!

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Speer
KOF 99 has the best IMO. The rain stage still amazes me every time I see
it.

KOF 01 has the worst, however I have only played the PS2 version. I'm not
sure if there is any major difference between the two versions.

broken harbours
tough one this. for the best i would say any kof from 94-99 but if pushed i'd probably go for '98 for overall consistency. however, a special mention goes '95 for the way the backgrounds really set the scene (something i hope they bring back in xii) and the fact that some of the animation was smoother than that of the character sprites (especially on the aof and ff teams stages).

as for worst, for me its a tie between 2001 and 2002. just dull, dull, dull, and er, dull. just look at the "korea" stage on 2002; it looks like the work of a blind work experience boy with no hands. totally uninspiring, even if the gameplay was fun.
Edited by broken harbours on 02. March 2008 22:44

priest
What´s wrong with you guys Wink KOF 2000 had by far the dullest backgrounds. Theres no contest IMO.

Just some examples:

www.neo-geo.com/reviews/neo-reviews/kof2k/kof2kshot2.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_52/kof2000shot7_t1.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_52/kof2000shot11_t1.png
Edited by priest on 02. March 2008 22:49

Goemon
priest wrote:
What´s wrong with you guys Wink KOF 2000 had by far the dullest backgrounds.

I think you meant to 2001 right? Wink Smile

I really dig most of 2000's bg's. The only bg that stands out as ugly to me is that polluted beach stage.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

priest
Goemon. not you too:( Wink

pollux
I think 97 and 03 had great backgrounds. I loved 99 as well aside from the stupid dinosaur museum one. And XI if we're counting it.

01 and 02 were pretty bad and 00 was a mixed bag in my opinion.

Ghost Soldier
My vote for best goes to KOF' 97

cthulhu
Speer wrote:
KOF 99 has the best IMO. The rain stage still amazes me every time I see
it.

KOF 01 has the worst, however I have only played the PS2 version. I'm not
sure if there is any major difference between the two versions.

The rain stage is indeed awesome. I also have to agree on '01 being the worst as I don't like any of the stages but in '00 I do actually like some of the stages...maybe 1 or 2 backgrounds, but that's 1 or 2 more than in '01...so it's almost as bad.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

sukotsuto
My best background vote goes to KOF 96, and the worst backgrounds for me are the ones in KOF 2001. Thumbs Up

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
Kazuya_UK
I did think that 02 had some decent backgrounds (like the Japan stage), but they did go totally overboard on the SNK cameos in the background! It's better than 2001 at least., although since '99 not many backgrounds have really had the true "SNK touch" to them and they just don't seem to have the same level of detail. KOF 2003/XI were positive steps in the right direction though, while KOF XII looks like it could possibly have some of the most detailed and lovely looking stages in the history of the series... it just looks that nice!

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
broken harbours
i don't know at least some of the stages in 2001 had more going on in them than 2002. just check out all the excitement of the "holland" stage in kof 2002, i mean if they had used a little imagination and set it in amsterdam it could have been amazing, Wink but instead, we got a shitty field with an oversized clog and a fucking cow with two frames of animation. i'm sorry, but as a venue for some of the best fighters in the world it seems like an bizarre choice and as a result makes any bout there feel less king of fighters and more like a heated discussion about potatoes in a dutch re-make of the archers. the amount of cameos was also pretty silly.

although having said that, the sao paolo "grand prix" one in 2001 wins the prize for the shittiest kof stage ever in my opinion. '99 and 2000 had some great stages but they were really inconsistent. for example the effects of the heatwave/mirage thing in the airport stage in '99 and the rain in the england stage totally destroyed (so did the sand storm in 2000). but the dinosaur world in '99 and the sea-life centre thing in 2000 were just plain y-front pants. 97 was also a little inconsistent in my opinion too.

2003 had some great stages, especially the prague one which is one of my favourite kof stages ever.
Edited by broken harbours on 04. March 2008 00:13

pollux
Yeah, I definitely agree about 99. The rain and airport stages were amazing while the dinosaur museum has to be one of the worst ever.

Also, any stage with livestock in it is a loser.

broken harbours wrote:
i don't know at least some of the stages in 2001 had more going on in them than 2002. just check out all the excitement of the "holland" stage in kof 2002, i mean if they had used a little imagination and set it in amsterdam it could have been amazing, Wink but instead, we got a shitty field with an oversized clog and a fucking cow with two frames of animation. i'm sorry, but as a venue for some of the best fighters in the world it seems like an bizarre choice and as a result makes any bout there feel less king of fighters and more like a heated discussion about potatoes in a dutch re-make of the archers. the amount of cameos was also pretty silly.

although having said that, the sao paolo "grand prix" one in 2001 wins the prize for the shittiest kof stage ever in my opinion. '99 and 2000 had some great stages but they were really inconsistent. for example the effects of the heatwave/mirage thing in the airport stage in '99 and the rain in the england stage totally destroyed (so did the sand storm in 2000). but the dinosaur world in '99 and the sea-life centre thing in 2000 were just plain y-front pants. 97 was also a little inconsistent in my opinion too.

2003 had some great stages, especially the prague one which is one of my favourite kof stages ever.

Jump to Forum: