Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 806
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4152 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What is your favourite Neo Geo music?
merlin
I was just wondering which game(s) people would consider to have the best music on the Neo Geo. It's difficult to choose only one so you can pick more than one game if you want. I'm guessing the music from the Kof series, Metal Slug series, Matrimelee and Waku Waku 7 might be among people's favourites. Also do you own any original soundtrack Cd's for Neo games?

I've managed to narrow my favourites down to a short list of 5:
(in no particular order)

Neo Drift Out
Visco created some great music in their games e.g. Breakers but I reckon Neo Dirft Out is their best effort especially the intro music and also the theme for Stage 6 which you might hear quite a bit because the time limit is so tight on that stage.

Pulstar
Great atmospheric music throughout especially the opening theme and the dramatic music in Stage 3.

Twinkle Star Sprites
The only game that I liked the music so much that I bought the original soundtrack. Highlights include Tinker and Linker's theme and the music when you are fighting the end boss Memory.

Magician Lord
A classic synth score which people either love or hate. Stage 1 and Stage 4 are particularly good.

Last Hope
A great techno style soundtrack by Rafael Dyll. Especially atmospheric is the music for the watery stage 4 Katakis Dark Seed.

It would be really interesting to know what everyone else considers their fav Neo music.
Edited by merlin on 02. March 2008 01:28

cthulhu
My favorite Neo Geo game music is:
Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2 - to me this is the best music in the whole series with my favorite fighting game song ever Geese ni shouy.
Matrimelee - Weird music for a weird game...funniest soundtrack ever for a fighting game.
Waku Waku 7 - Just fits the game perfectly.
Twinkle Star Sprites - Great music for a wacky and hectic game such as this...especially the music of the Memory stage (last stage) is great.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Midian
I agree with Cthulhu on the Matrimelee OST, I think both the Euro/American versions and Japanese version are great. The Japanese one has friggin' DEBU!

I also really like the Last Blade OST and it's styled music.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

Kazuya_UK
Ninja Masters
Matrimelee
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Real Bout Special/2
KOF 96, 98 & 99
Metal Slug 5 (in fact anything Studio Aqua)

There's so many other good ones to pick from but they spring to mind instantly. Matrimelee is fantastic, in fact it's one of the rare games where I bought the OST. In fact, check on gamefaqs and there is a translation guide for the lyrics that I made along with someone from neo-geo.com who helped with translations... it's even funnier when you know everything that's being sung Grin

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
merlin
Yes I agree with you guys about Matrimelee it's got a great soundtrack. Just checked out those translated lyrics you mentioned Kaz. They really are very funny and I'll admit I did laugh at the lyrics of '375 Kg' performed by Megadon Kimura and the Debu-Metalz even if as you say they are not exactly politically correct.

The people who made Matrimelee had a crazy sense of humour that's for sure. Smile My favourite Matrimelee song has got to be the song 'It's the Little Things that Make Me Happy' performed by Urami Masuyo.

Just remembered some other great soundtracks: Rage of the Dragons (especially the club stage and Johan's stage) and also Ragnagard (the intro music is particularly good).

Midian
Will do. I also forgot the Metal Slug series, those games have some really great music! Thumbs Up

THX-1138
Mark Of The Wolves has a quality soundtrack, especially Rock's theme, 'Spread The Wings'.

Real Bout Special has some fun music, i have a J Pop song called 'Mai Boy' or somethibg, anyway it's Mai's song for the game and its good fun.

KOF 94' and 2003 have great music.

Metal Slug 3.

Oh and Samurai Spirits 2 and Last Blade 2 are very atmospheric.

Midian
THX-1138 wrote:
Mark Of The Wolves has a quality soundtrack, especially Rock's theme, 'Spread The Wings'.

Real Bout Special has some fun music, i have a J Pop song called 'Mai Boy' or somethibg, anyway it's Mai's song for the game and its good fun.

Metal Slug 3.

I love Spread the Wings too, even though half of the song has been stolen. Pfft

Kazuya_UK
Midian wrote:
THX-1138 wrote:

Metal Slug 3.

I love Spread the Wings too, even though half of the song has been stolen. Pfft

Robert Miles Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
ROBOTRON
KOF 95
Savage Reign
Viewpoint
Last Resort
Last Hope - "Creepy Waters"
SamSho2 & 5
WH2
img213.imageshack.us/img213/7476/01hw6.gif
Fight Like A Robot!

http://www.freewebs.com/robotron
merlin
ROBOTRON wrote:
KOF 95
Savage Reign
Viewpoint
Last Resort
Last Hope - "Creepy Waters"
SamSho2 & 5
WH2

I've got to agree with you Robotron about World Heroes 2. It has the best soundtrack of the whole series in my opinion. The intro music is great and also the music for Janne's and J Carn's stages. The best of all is when you are fighting Erik on his longboat: the best World Heroes tune ever!

garu21
AOF 2
RBFS 1
METAL SLUG 2(X) & 3
KOF 95 ,96 & 97
FATAL FURY SPECIAL (YUSHA RAIDEN Wink )
SAMURAI SPIRITS 4

broken harbours
so many good examples but these are the ones that stand out the most for me:

kof '95 (just sets the scene so well, for example, the cello on the aof team stage compliments the creaking wood sound and the colours soo well)
real bout, particularly the more classically inspired pieces.
garou
both last blades
kof 97

the last two get a mention because they're so subtle. i'm a massive sucker for a lot of modern classical and ambient music so to see the basic ideas of these genres in games (especially such great ones) is great for me. i also really the gamelan accapella piece in the bali stage in kof '97.

AES_Collector
Magician Lord, stage 1!
Neo-Geo is pure bliss!

professor denim
SAMURAI SHODOWN 1 - end credits music.
METAL SLUG 3 - mission 3, after the underwater part,in the industrial zone just before the boss.

merlin
One other soundtrack that | completely forgot about is Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer (Neo Geo CD). I liked the cartridge music but the enhanced CD soundtrack is awesome. Not only has the music been greatly enhanced but vocals have been added to nearly every stage theme tune and there is also a new additional song for the closing credits, believe me the overall effect is very impressive.

Shiny
I find it difficult to like anything about Gowcaizer... What an awful game. Sorry merlin, I know you like it. Smile

KoF '96
Metal Slug 4 onwards...
RBFF2
FFS (last stage baby)
Shock Troopers (any excuse to mention it)
Matrimelee
Waku Waku 7

Just about everything released on NGCD sounds impressive.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Jump to Forum: