Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 803
Thread Info
There are 67 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 41372 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fatal Fury Discussion
phry
Fatal Fury...my first experience of it is on the old mega drive. The snes crowd had street fighter 2 to themselves (at first) so i thought it was cool to have one on the MD. Even though it wasn't teh best conversion (I don't think it's stood the test of time on the humble MD), to me it was great - even though I preferred SF2, Fatal Fury still seemed pretty special and different enough to warrant it's own attention away from the SF2 comparisons.

I think that playing the NG version of FF kinda ruined the sega version for me lol. Fatal Fury (NG version lol) is still a fun game, though it's superior follow ups overshadow it now. There's no denying that it's one of the Neo's most important titles - setting the mould for every fighter to come on the system, but for me it wasn't till Samurai Showdown when an SNK fighter really grabbed my attention.

re: those Psycho Soldier pics. That anime one looks like it was drawn in 5 minutes. Ahtena has a wonky face lol. It's better than the Zena-Elf-Valkyrie thing though lol
Edited by phry on 27. February 2008 19:00

Kazuya_UK
LOL very much so... game art has come on a long way! Smile

I never did play the port at the time, only later on via emulation. I just played the Neo Geo version loads in the arcade, always wishing I could afford a Neo Geo. It's funny how so many of us were in the same boat and then ran out to get our own systems when they became affordable due to prices dropping and us earning enough to buy one! Smile

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 28. February 2008 20:03
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Powerwave
i believe fatal fury to be the best fighting series of all time, not only does it stand up as a great 2d fighter but also a good 3d fighter wit its plane shifting system i believe it to be superior to its rival street fighter 2 anyone else agree with me on that one

Goemon
Now this is more like it! Though i must admit, i feel like a caged animal playing this version... so extremely limited. I'm starting to get the urge to play RBFF 2.... bah, i'll push through.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

merlin
Powerwave wrote:
i believe fatal fury to be the best fighting series of all time, not only does it stand up as a great 2d fighter but also a good 3d fighter wit its plane shifting system i believe it to be superior to its rival street fighter 2 anyone else agree with me on that one

There's no denying the Fatal Fury series is awesome but personally if I had to choose I'd say the Samurai Shodown series is the best. I agree with you about the plane system, it's a really nice feature which makes the Fatal Fury games stand out from other fighting games. Comparing SF2 to the Fatal Fury games I'd say:

Fatal Fury < SF2
Fatal Fury 2/Special/3 = SF2
The Real Bouts > SF2

Out of the early Neo fighters I'd also say World Heroes is better than both Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury even though I really like all three.

Atomduck
merlin wrote:
Powerwave wrote:

There's no denying the Fatal Fury series is awesome but personally if I had to choose I'd say the Samurai Shodown series is the best. I agree with you about the plane system, it's a really nice feature which makes the Fatal Fury games stand out from other fighting games. Comparing SF2 to the Fatal Fury games I'd say:

Fatal Fury < SF2
Fatal Fury 2/Special/3 = SF2
The Real Bouts > SF2

Out of the early Neo fighters I'd also say World Heroes is better than both Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury even though I really like all three.

you should really compare the Real Bout Games to Street Fighter Alpha since they did come around at the same time.

Goemon
^ Yeah, i don't think FF quite "blows away" SF 2, but i certianly feel that the RBFF games blow away SFA. Mmmm... I think i'm gonna go play RBFF 2 right now.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

merlin
you should really compare the Real Bout Games to Street Fighter Alpha since they did come around at the same time.

Atomduck you are quite right and I agree it was a bit unfair of me to compare SF2 with the Real Bout games. :redface: I do still love SF2 by the way.

Goeman I'm starting to get an urge to play Real Bout 2 as well now.

Atomduck
Atomduck you are quite right and I agree it was a bit unfair of me to compare SF2 with the Real Bout games. :redface: I do still love SF2 by the way.

Its fine. Who doesn't like Street Fighter II? Give a Big SHORYOKEN! for SF2!

garu21
i like this game a lot Pfft love the multiplayer in this one it was very original for its time and stages looks great Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Edited by garu21 on 01. March 2008 21:55

boogiepop
That just reminded me that I have still yet to try that 2 player mode. Sounds pretty interesting.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

pollux
This is the game that started it all for me. Years ago, I was at a shady movie theater with one arcade machine, which was an MVS. It had Fatal Fury on it. Once I tried it out, I was hooked forever. I only have Fatal Fury Special and RBFF2 for my AES, but I do have the battle archives compilation on the PS2, which are damn good ports.

boogiepop
Played around a little more yesterday and I'm really amazed at the 2 player co-op option. With the different planes, this seems to work incredibly well. It's a shame that you have to fight your partner after each match though and even more so that it wasn't included in any of the other games.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Kazuya_UK
pollux wrote:
This is the game that started it all for me. Years ago, I was at a shady movie theater with one arcade machine, which was an MVS. It had Fatal Fury on it. Once I tried it out, I was hooked forever. I only have Fatal Fury Special and RBFF2 for my AES, but I do have the battle archives compilation on the PS2, which are damn good ports.

I love how all shady movie theaters used to have an MVS. Our old Odeon Cinema used to have a 4 slot with Neo Drift Out, Joy Joy Kid, KOF '95 and Double Dragon. I spent many a 20p piece in that thing Smile

I agree about the 2 on 1 fights BP. It's such a shame that it was never used in the other games:(

Kaz

pollux
Yeah, now that I think about it. I remember playing an MVS at a shady bowling alley, pizza joint and, of course, aforementioned theater.

Of course, full-fledged arcades would have an MVS or two along with many other machines, but if it was a shady place with only one machine, it would almost always be a MVS.

Kazuya_UK wrote:
pollux wrote:

I love how all shady movie theaters used to have an MVS. Our old Odeon Cinema used to have a 4 slot with Neo Drift Out, Joy Joy Kid, KOF '95 and Double Dragon. I spent many a 20p piece in that thing Smile

I agree about the 2 on 1 fights BP. It's such a shame that it was never used in the other games:(

Kaz

Kazuya_UK
Thniking about it, my first experience with a Neo Geo was at this dodgy little off license that was down the road from my school. They had two arcade cabs (at one point three), and you KNOW the only reason they had them was to attract all the kids from our school to go down there and use up their dinner money... and well, it worked... I spent many a lunch hour (and many other hours when I should have been at school) playing on those cabs. They always seemed to have a CPS1 game in there... it generally rotated between whatever the newest version of SF2 was (even some of the bootleg editions) on one cab, a Neo Geo title on another cab, and then the third cab would generally tend to have Wrestlefest or some other random game on it, again sometimes they'd have other Capcom games on there, usually a beat em up like Cadillacs Vs Dinos or Captain Commando.

The MVS was ALWAYS there though... there was even a point where they had three MVS titles running, I think it was Samurai Shodown, Art of Fighting and World Heroes. Stayed like that for a while, at least until the Street Fighter fans kicked up a fuss Smile

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 04. March 2008 10:00

pollux
When I was in school, the only MVS close enough for me to get to without going with my parents was a local video store that had one in the back, but all it ever had was Art of Fighting, which I like overall, but it was a bit hard, especially when I was just starting to play fighting games. So it ate my quarters like crazy.

Luckily, on family outings to cinemas, pizza places, malls, I got to get my Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown and KOF on.

But during the week, it was back to getting owned beyond my imagination at Art of Fighting.
Edited by pollux on 05. March 2008 01:37

tony starks
tony starks wrote:

That video is hilarious LOL The last part of the video cracks me up. Geese was just ridiculously cheap in that game. I could never 1cc that game because of him.

**** Update ****

Been playing this for the past few days and I can finally say that I 1cc it on normal, hard and MVS with Andy. I noticed that all the cpu opponents have various patterns, once you know them the game is quite simple. Geese is a sucker for throws also Thumbs Up
I'll have to take a pic next time. I'll think I 'll move on to using Joe, I am probably in the minority here but I prefer using Andy than Terry.
Starks is always out

merlin
Congrats Tony! Yeah it's true that apart from Geese the rest of the cpu opponents are not exactly difficult especially Michael Max. My favourite tactic with Geese is block quite a lot and wait till he changes plane and when he comes back into your plane knock him down with a low punch and then fireball him in the face as he stands up. I do still have problems with him from time to time though.

I also slightly prefer Andy over Terry. Beating Geese with Joe Higashi on hard level can be VERY challenging. This game is still a lot of fun to play despite it's age.

RiKo
Do you play all the Fatal Fury games Merlin? Out of all of them - apart from MOTW (which is kind of seperate anyway) - which is the best to play - if you could only play one? (I hope its not too hard a question).
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: