Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 739
Thread Info
There are 19 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4528 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What is your favourite Neo Shoot 'em up?
merlin
If you had to pick only one which Neo shoot 'em up would be your favourite? I think many people would either choose Blazing Star or Pulstar but you never know there might be some hardcore Viewpoint and Last Resort fans out there.

For me even though I am very keen on Blazing Star I have to choose Pulstar. I am not exactly a shoot 'em up expert and struggle with the difficulty of Pulstar but I think this is a good thing as it gives the game more lasting appeal in my opinion. To be fair Blazing Star does have some features which are not present in Pulstar namely a choice of different ships and also simultaneous two player action but I still slightly prefer Pulstar though.

I also just wanted to mention what I consider the 3rd best Neo shoot 'em up: Prehistoric Isle 2. For some reason this game doesn't seem to get discussed very often perhaps because it is MVS only and maybe not the most common cart. This game is awesome in my opinion although not quite as good as Blazing Star and Pulstar. The graphics are very nice in PI2 with some impressive bosses and level 2 when you flying over the water looks great.
Edited by merlin on 25. January 2008 16:35

THX-1138
I've played Pulstar and Blazing Star, they are both superb.

Shiny
I really want to say Last Resort, just because I love the design so much. That and the fact EVERYONE says Pulstar or Blazing Star.

In reality, however, Pulstar is without doubt the best Neo shmup imo.

Though I've yet to play Last Hope...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

merlin
Shiny wrote:
I really want to say Last Resort, just because I love the design so much. That and the fact EVERYONE says Pulstar or Blazing Star.

In reality, however, Pulstar is without doubt the best Neo shmup imo.

Though I've yet to play Last Hope...

I agree with you that Last Resort is a very good game. I plan to buy it in a few months time. I think you will love Last Hope when you finally get a chance to play it. It has really exceeded my expectations. The levels are very well designed and it's a real challenge. I have only beaten it on Very Easy level (Arcade Mode) so far.

Although it's definitely not one of the best Neo shooters I must admit to having a soft spot for Ghost Pilots. Okay so it does get pretty repetitive but it's a decent title worth having in anyone's collection.

boogiepop
I really haven't played enough if the Neo's shooter library to make a call on this but from what I've played of Andro Dunos, I really like.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Kazuya_UK
Last Resort is a great game, and obviously Pulstar/Blazing Star are up there... but there's one game people are forgetting: Iron CLad on the Neo Geo CD. That's actually a half decent shooter too nd well worth a try if you get the chance, just a shame it's CD only.

But anyways, I'd say Pulstar is my favourite. Blazing Star is a brilliant game, but I think Pulstar is marginally better (and I used to think it was the other way around). It's a huge challenge while not being an unfair one. Definitely a must buy in my opinion. Brilliant soundtrack too!

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
merlin
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Last Resort is a great game, and obviously Pulstar/Blazing Star are up there... but there's one game people are forgetting: Iron CLad on the Neo Geo CD. That's actually a half decent shooter too nd well worth a try if you get the chance, just a shame it's CD only.

But anyways, I'd say Pulstar is my favourite. Blazing Star is a brilliant game, but I think Pulstar is marginally better (and I used to think it was the other way around). It's a huge challenge while not being an unfair one. Definitely a must buy in my opinion. Brilliant soundtrack too!

Kaz

I agree with you that Iron Clad is a good game. The thing that really impresses me is that not only do you have multiple pathways through the game but there are also different end stages each with it's own boss. That is a pretty original idea for a shoot 'em up.

I also really like the music in Pulstar. It's one of my favourite neo soundtracks.

garu21
Blazing Star & Sonic Wings 2

Atomduck
Blazing Star. Fo' Sho. And surpirsingly Andro Dunos. I just like it.

Shiny
Dammit. I forgot. I love Pulstar, Last Resort, and I really, really like the Sonic Wings games but my all time favourite Neo shooter has to be Strikers 1945+. Has to be.

Psykio Soldier. Ninja
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Atomduck
Shiny wrote:
Dammit. I forgot. I love Pulstar, Last Resort, and I really, really like the Sonic Wings games but my all time favourite Neo shooter has to be Strikers 1945+. Has to be.

Psykio Soldier. Ninja

ugh, I couldn't stand Last Hope. A friend got it for me during Christmas.The graphics were pretty but way too hard to make out.

priest
Shiny wrote:

Psykio Soldier. Ninja

Strikers 1945+ For me too Thumbs Up I have that cart plugged in constantly in my "candy", other titles change but this cart sort of "merged" with the motherboard Wink
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
boogiepop
http://www.archiv...ingSpecial
I found this tonight and it reminded me of this thread. It's a damn long review of all the Neo's shooters. Pretty good too if you ask me.
Enjoy! Grin
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Atomduck
I've seen that, it's pretty enertaining. It's good seeing all the shooters in one.

Goemon
This thread reminds me that i really need to find some way to play Last Hope. With my recently aquired DC it seems that i finally have the option.

On the issue of my fav. shooter for the Neo... would certianly have to be Srikers (Go Psikyo) but Pulstar is excellent and Blazing Star is infinitely charming to me with all the well placed engrish. Grin

Btw, good find Boogie!

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

ROBOTRON
Ah my fav genre...even above fighting games.

My Top 4:

Viewpoint
Alpha Mission II
Last Hope
Last Resort

I do not own any of the others like Pulstar, Blazing Star or Zed Blade, etc. I do not emulate or dump roms.

Non Neo shmups I own a ton....like:

Soukyugerentai
Radiant Silvergun
Gradius series
R-Type series
Axelay
Thunderforce series
Einhander
Blast wind
Truxton
Mars Matrix
Chaos Field
Trizeal
Ikaruga
Hellfire
Psychosis
Turmoil
Edited by ROBOTRON on 26. January 2008 23:53
img213.imageshack.us/img213/7476/01hw6.gif
Fight Like A Robot!

http://www.freewebs.com/robotron
garu21
boogiepop wrote:
http://www.archiv...ingSpecial
I found this tonight and it reminded me of this thread. It's a damn long review of all the Neo's shooters. Pretty good too if you ask me.
Enjoy! Grin

10q Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

arcadematt
I have Aero Fighters 2, Andro Dunos, Alpha Mission 2 and Captain Tomaday In my collection.

My Fav Is Aero Fighters 2 followed by Andro Dunos

Dont own Blazing Star, Pulstar and Strikers yet.

Ghost Soldier
I've yet to play blazing star, and last resort. Right now my vote goes to alpha mission II. I love the top down shooters and its a decent one.

Jump to Forum: