Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 721
Thread Info
There are 48 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 22863 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Magician Lord Discussion (past GotW thread)
boogiepop
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Guys would you all mind me adding quotes from the above posts into the review? I was thinking about incorporating them somehow, think it would be a nice addition and it's always good to have different opinions in there.
Kaz

I've got no problems with that.
Unlike the others, my final estimation of this game is not positive. Honestly, age is no excuse for a bad game being bad. And this one's pretty bad. It's a shame because a reduced difficulty could have really benefited it tremendously.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

rainbow_bright
K! I've heard about your home movies!!!

Cool Ninja Thumbs Up

cthulhu
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Guys would you all mind me adding quotes from the above posts into the review? I was thinking about incorporating them somehow, think it would be a nice addition and it's always good to have different opinions in there.

No objections here...have fun.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

boogiepop
Hope I didn't come off too insulting in my last post. I just didn't want to sugarcoat my final appraisal.

cthulhu
boogiepop wrote:
Hope I didn't come off too insulting in my last post. I just didn't want to sugarcoat my final appraisal.

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this game, so I can't find any reason for people to be insulted.
My arcade stuff

Shiny
Although I think Magician Lord is a classic game, it's by no means perfect, and the difficulty does mar what could have been a much more enjoyable experience.

So, I stand by my original statement, but I can see how others without the benefit of nostalgia would rate the game lower. A lot lower probably. For me though, it deserves a place in any Neo fans collection. But then, I quite like Eight Man so don't listen to me. Pfft
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Kazuya_UK
Thanks guys, I'm going to add some of the comments from this thread when we get closer to doing the next game of the week. Any thoughts on the next one we should do? I'm saying for now stick to boogiepops original plan, and let's do another launch title. I'm gonna go with Nam 1975. Let's stay on topic and keep discussing Magician Lord, but also give me a shout and let me know what game you'd like to see next (and don't worry we'll vary it a bit and throw in some newer games in the coming weeks and maybe do a NGPC game or two). Smile

Anyone else watched through the vids I posted on the previous page? I'm finding them really handy, although I still suck. That guy must have had an insane amount of practice, and in my case I've never really got into Magician Lord enough to put the time into it... and it needs a lot of patience Wink. I'll probably never finish it without cheating/using ridiculous amounts of credits though, as I just don't enjoy the game enough to want to...

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
garu21
MAGICIAN LORD its a decent game Wink

boogiepop
I'm cool with Nam. It's yet another Neo title that I've had little exposure to.

Goemon
So, i beat Magician Lord earlier. Now that was a job. Grin
Never, have i felt such melancholy playing as a ninja

garu21 wrote:
MAGICIAN LORD its a decent game Wink

lol, couldn't have said it better myself.
Edited by Goemon on 24. January 2008 22:47
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

sotenga
Welp, ML still has a deal of nostalgia with me. It was one of the few games I knew for the Neo Geo before I came a major fan of the console, and it's still a sentimental favorite of mine and also my brother. However, in recent playthroughs, I have found the core gameplay to be fundamentally flawed. Last time I played it via emulator, I found myself dying constantly, but respawning on the spot after continuing made it seem imbalanced. Why die if it doesn't have much consequence?

Then I played it on the Virtual Console, and for some reason, they disabled continuing on the spot. Now it's fucking impossible, having to start over at the very goddamn beginning after losing all lives! :evil:

And why is it that the enemy that appears the most often is also the worst fucking one in the entire game to deal with? You know... those little floating pricks that are like Medusa Heads with the ability to shoot at you? THEY FUCKING SUCK!!! Angry Angry Angry

So... yeah. I'll quote what was said earlier and mention that the game's really hard, but not in a good way. That says it well right there. However... I still like it, despite the balls through the wall frustration. Four words why: "Again changes to hell." Pfft

Everything besides the fubar difficulty is ace, however. If they had only modified that, this would be a fine game indeed.
"Well, that's that! The exit's that way!"

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/dire51/moavc_banner.jpg

boogiepop
sotenga wrote:
And why is it that the enemy that appears the most often is also the worst fucking one in the entire game to deal with? You know... those little floating pricks that are like Medusa Heads with the ability to shoot at you? THEY FUCKING SUCK!!! Angry Angry Angry

This totally needs to go in the review Kaz. Pfft

merlin
I have never played Magician Lord on MVS but from what people are saying it does sound like it could be pretty frustrating. It's funny with this game that there is quite a bit of variation in difficulty between the three versions.

The Neo CD version allows you to respawn from exactly where you died (like Sotenga was talking about earlier) meaning there is no challenge at all. I think this game is probably best played on homecart because with a little practice the first 6 levels are really not so difficult. Stage 7 is where things get really tough though.

I would definitely like Nam 1975 to be the next game of the week.

boogiepop
I don't think there's a difference between the versions. Can any specific alterations be pointed out for confirmation?

merlin
boogiepop wrote:
I don't think there's a difference between the versions. Can any specific alterations be pointed out for confirmation?

I have not played it on MVS but I read this in Kaz's review:

'I have played the home version of this game briefly, and it does seem a little better then the MVS version, partly because the difficulty level has been toned down a bit.'

I also read this in a review at Gamefaqs I found a while back:

'What also makes Magician Lord so unique is that its one of those few early titles that makes for a better AES title than MVS one. Playing Magician Lord in arcades doesn't make too much sense. The difficulty is insanely high, with your character only having a maximum of four hit points. Along with bosses with unpredictable attack patterns and enemies whose hits are sometimes unavoidable Magician Lord ate a lot of gamers' quarters back in the day, which is why so many people probably can't appreciate its gameplay. On the home console, Magician Lord offers a slightly toned down difficulty, with more hit points and more time to improve skills.'

I could be wrong but I am guessing that you can't have as long a lifebar in the MVS version as in the AES version. (6 hit points)

The CD version and AES versions differ because of the restart points. In the AES version you either restart at the start of the level or the last door you went through. If you run out of lives you have to start the level right from the beginning. In the CD version you respawn exactly where you died even after you run out of lives and have to start a new credit. So the CD version is very easy.

cthulhu
merlin wrote:
The CD version and AES versions differ because of the restart points. In the AES version you either restart at the start of the level or the last door you went through. If you run out of lives you have to start the level right from the beginning. In the CD version you respawn exactly where you died even after you run out of lives and have to start a new credit. So the CD version is very easy.

That's not really true as I've got Magician Lord for my AES (Euro version, I think) and whenever you die, you spawn (almost) exactly in the same place as you've died, also when yourun out of lives. So, the AES version is also quite easy (at least mine is).
My arcade stuff

Kazuya_UK
It's a bit weird this is. There's certainly more than one version of the game floating around, in fact if you look for romsets you'll see that there are too versions (maglord and maglordh, with maglordh being the home version). Maybe someone wants to grab those two romsets to compare in an emulator? But anyway, it was a while since I wrote that review, but I do remember the home cart I played did seem easier than what I had seen in the arcade version, with the difficulty being toned down a bit. Not really being a Magician Lord expert I couldn't tell you exact differences, but I might have a mess with the two romsets myself to see what differences I can spot. I always thought the respawn spots were the same though (ie, exactly where you died), but I could be wrong.

As for the CD version, I'm not sure about that but I will check that out too. I'm 99.99999% sure the home version is toned down a bit though. Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
cthulhu
Kazuya_UK wrote:
It's a bit weird this is. There's certainly more than one version of the game floating around, in fact if you look for romsets you'll see that there are too versions (maglord and maglordh, with maglordh being the home version). Maybe someone wants to grab those two romsets to compare in an emulator? But anyway, it was a while since I wrote that review, but I do remember the home cart I played did seem easier than what I had seen in the arcade version, with the difficulty being toned down a bit. Not really being a Magician Lord expert I couldn't tell you exact differences, but I might have a mess with the two romsets myself to see what differences I can spot. I always thought the respawn spots were the same though (ie, exactly where you died), but I could be wrong.

As for the CD version, I'm not sure about that but I will check that out too. I'm 99.99999% sure the home version is toned down a bit though. Smile

Kaz

I've just checked the maglord and maglordh ROMs and there is quite a difference.
In the maglord ROM the player has 2 hitpoints and a maximum of 4 hitpoint after transformation, after losing 2 hitpoints, the player changes back to the original form. Also the respawning points are at the exact spot you've died, even after using another credit.
The maglordh ROM is different. First of all the game has quite a nice intro explaining the story. The player has 3 hitpoints and a maximum of 6 after transformation, after losing 3 hitpoints, the player changes back to the original form. The respawning points are at the beginning of the level or at the last door visited. When losing all lives and using a credit, the player has to start the level over from the start.
I can say that my AES (probably Euro) version of this game has the maglord set. Maybe later runs of the game included the maglordh set.
Can't compare these two versions with the Neo Geo CD version, because I don't have a Neo Geo CD.
My arcade stuff

merlin
cthulhu wrote:
Kazuya_UK wrote:

Kaz

I've just checked the maglord and maglordh ROMs and there is quite a difference.
In the maglord ROM the player has 2 hitpoints and a maximum of 4 hitpoint after transformation, after losing 2 hitpoints, the player changes back to the original form. Also the respawning points are at the exact spot you've died, even after using another credit.
The maglordh ROM is different. First of all the game has quite a nice intro explaining the story. The player has 3 hitpoints and a maximum of 6 after transformation, after losing 3 hitpoints, the player changes back to the original form. The respawning points are at the beginning of the level or at the last door visited. When losing all lives and using a credit, the player has to start the level over from the start.
I can say that my AES (probably Euro) version of this game has the maglord set. Maybe later runs of the game included the maglordh set.
Can't compare these two versions with the Neo Geo CD version, because I don't have a Neo Geo CD.

Very interesting. My japanese AES copy is exactly like the maglordh ROM you describe. With the Neo CD I easily beat it at the first attempt but with the AES I have so far not got past stage 7. I think it was a mistake to make the CD version so very easy.

boogiepop
Holy crap! How can this be possible? I thought the AES/MVS carts were identical in manufacturing. Do you think the other difficulty setting could be unlockable?
By the way, I was playing only the 2 and 4 hit point variety.

Jump to Forum: