Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 697
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2950 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Guilty Pleasures
boogiepop
So... I've been playing a bit of Altered Beast lately and wondered:

What games do you enjoy playing that regularly make people roll their eyes and shake their heads? You can thank all the crap I take for liking Altered Beast for making this thread.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

candycab
Robo Army and ninja Commando are two games I really enjoy that most people think suck, the ones who actually know what they are anyway Grin

I think nowdays most any arcade release pre 1984 fits here well as most everyone I know who didnt grow up with them looks at me weird when I say I enjoy them alot more than anything released in the last 10 years. Which I generally do .... I can guarantee I will be playing most Williams games etc for the rest of my life which Is something I wont be doing with the current hardware generation.
Edited by candycab on 11. January 2008 10:49
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

garu21
real bout fatal fury 1 LOL

Shiny
Eight Man
Ninja Commando
'Nam 75
Bari Bari Densetsu (PCE)
Psychic World (SMS)

Oh, and boogiepop, you deserve every bit of flak you get. Altered Beast is rubbish. Wink

cthulhu
Come on, Altered Best is a great yet crappy game.
My guilty pleasure would be:
King of the Monsters (because I'm a Gojira fan...also a guilty pleasure) and most people would roll they're eyes if they see me play Splatterhouse Part II and Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti...both fun but quite crappy games...I just love Splatterhouse.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

ROBOTRON
Alpha Mission II - This shooter is in my top 20 all time, hardly ever gets a mention on my shmup boards...everyones a Cave fanboy.

Savage Reign - Lub it to death. The inter level jumping works and makes it a unique fighter.

Ninja Masters - Alpha Denshi's crowning achievement. This fighter deserves tournament attention like CVS2 gets.
img213.imageshack.us/img213/7476/01hw6.gif
Fight Like A Robot!

http://www.freewebs.com/robotron
Shiny
ROBOTRON wrote:
Alpha Mission II - This shooter is in my top 20 all time

That's a big thumbs up from me! Thumbs Up I hate Fulvar (I think that was his name) with a passion.

Raiken
Oni for playstation 2. Hugely underrated game imo.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

boogiepop
I like how half the games mentioned are from the neo. I guess that was to be expected though.

Goemon
boogiepop wrote:What games do you enjoy playing that regularly make people roll their eyes and shake their heads?

From what i've experienced from people younger then me, any 2d game besides tetris & SF II.

In terms of people around my age... Any japanese style RPG, (even by people that play games like WoW) although i haven't played one since Suikoden V. I do plan on playing Mother 3 & the Samurai Showdown RPG when the fan translations get done.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

merlin
ROBOTRON wrote:
Alpha Mission II - This shooter is in my top 20 all time, hardly ever gets a mention on my shmup boards...everyones a Cave fanboy.

Savage Reign - Lub it to death. The inter level jumping works and makes it a unique fighter.

Ninja Masters - Alpha Denshi's crowning achievement. This fighter deserves tournament attention like CVS2 gets.

I agree with you 100% about Savage Reign. I love this game and have spent a lot of time playing it. I agree that fighting on two levels works well in the game. It is nice that you can use certain special moves and projectiles against opponents who are in a different level from you. People say fighting on two levels is just copying Fatal Fury but I don't agree because the idea is implemented a bit differently here. I do think Kizuna is better but Savage Reign is a lot better than people make out. King Lion/Leo is also a classic SNK boss.

A few people mentioned Ninja Commando well I actually think this is a pretty enjoyable game. Obviously it is nowhere near as good as Shock Troopers but it is an early Neo game so you have to make allowances. I especially like the level where you are fighting cavemen, dinosaurs and giant plants. The screens in between levels telling the story are a nice touch.

As for Altered Beast well this was the first ever 16-bit game I played and I can remember switching it on for the first time hearing 'Rise from your grave' and thinking it was amazing. I played it a hell of a lot but to be honest it wasn't really such a great game, a bit average really. Changing into a bear in level 3 was pretty cool though. Golden Axe was definitely better.

For my guilty pleasures I would have to say Aztec Adventure, Teddy Boy and Bank Panic on the Master System. I think a lot of people thought Aztec Adventure was crap but I loved it. On the Neo well I love Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer which quite a few people don't seem to like. Perhaps it could have been a bit faster but it is still a really nice game.

boogiepop
Love the new avatar merlin! Thumbs Up
And based on your recommendation, I think I'm gonna give Gowcaizer another go tonight. Haven't really grown fond of the game yet but sometimes it just takes a little time.

merlin
boogiepop wrote:
Love the new avatar merlin! Thumbs Up
And based on your recommendation, I think I'm gonna give Gowcaizer another go tonight. Haven't really grown fond of the game yet but sometimes it just takes a little time.

Thanks. I am pleased with my new avatar. I hope you enjoy playing Gowcaizer. I think Karin is one of the most enjoyable characters to use with her cloud attack and spirit hair move where you have a miniature Karin to fight alongside you.
Edited by merlin on 17. January 2008 18:06

Jump to Forum: