Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 647
Thread Info
There are 5 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2442 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Last Hope released on Neo Geo CD
merlin
Last Hope is now available to buy on Neo Geo CD and since I have just bought a copy I wanted to give my impressions about the game in case anyone is curious about it and has not had the chance to play it. The game has been available on AES since 2006 but obviously it is expensive (though not unfairly so).

I think it is pretty exciting to have a new release on the Neo Geo. If you haven't played Last Hope yet I would recommend going to http://www.ngdevt... and downloading the gameplay trailer.

I have not spent a huge amount of time with the game yet because of lack of time but I can say that this is in my opinion a very good game. It is a remarkable achievement by two people (Timm and René Hellwig) who did all the programming and graphics. The backgrounds are colourful and impressive with quite a bit of animation used and nice parallax scrolling. The enemy sprites are varied and well animated. Bosses are impressive to look at also. I was very impressed with the techno soundtrack by Rafael Dyll and you can download a sample from the above website.

Obviously the most important question is how does the game play? Well it is very enjoyable. It definitely is similar to Pulstar. You have to learn how to deal with the set enemy attack patterns and the restart points are similar to Pulstar too. It is pretty difficult so you have to be ready for a challenge. On the Neo CD there are more options so you can lower the difficulty until you improve. I think I read somewhere someone was saying it was harder than Pulstar but I am not sure yet.

There are lots of different tactics that you can use in the game and with the Neo CD release you get a Dvd detailing these tactics. Your ship has a pod in front like in Pulstar and you can spin it around absorbing enemy shots. Anyway I would highly recommend checking this game out. If I had to give it a rating I would say 8 out of 10. The instruction manual has some nice artwork on the cover and inside. You also get a spine card. It looks exactly like an official release by Snk would look.

Anyway I apologise for the length of this post and if anyone else has played this game on AES or CD or Dreamcast then I would be very interested to know what they thought of the game.
Edited by merlin on 10. December 2007 15:27

Shiny
Thanks for the info merlin! Really. Thumbs Up

I've been waiting for the CD release of this for what seems like ages. As soon as funds allow I'm gonna get me a copy, and at EUR50 it's a bit of a bargain too, especially considering the AES price of 500. Justifiable? Maybe, but still enormously expensive and not being an official release will it hold on to that value? I doubt it.

C'mon Kaz, that's got to be worthy of a news post. When was the last time (AES version excluded) we could say a new Neo game is released?
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

Kazuya_UK
Yea, I will post news about it... had totally forgotten about this game. I have the DC version but believe it or not I still haven't tried it. I didn't have my DC or a long time as a freind borrowed it for about 2 years (serious Pfft) and I only got it back a few months ago but still haven't fired it up.

I'll post news tomorrow... too late right now as I am about to hit the hay! Thanks for the post merlin! The game does look interesting!

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
merlin
I am glad my post was of interest. I just wanted to add that I don't know if anyone else noticed this but in the blog at the NG Dev website they say 'Our next game is progressing nicely as well'. I can't find out any more information about their next game but I am guessing it will be a shooting game also.

Kazuya_UK
Will be interesting to see what they do Smile

Finally posted about this on the main site... sorry about the delay. Thanks for the link dude! Thumbs Up

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Jump to Forum: