3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: Kazuya_UK
Thread ID: 64
This Thread Is Locked
You can not post in this thread but there are files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The King of Fighters XII (locked, use new one)
Kazuya_UK
The new SF2 sprites look great, although they aren't improving the animation so I really do want to see how they look in motion. One thing I will say in SNK's defense is that drawing all the sprites in the traditional manner, in hi-res and with the sort of animation quality we would want to see would be VERY difficult, very time consuming, and inevitably cost a lot of money. Do they have a large enough and talented enough staff to do it? I'm not so sure, especially as they were actually advertising for 2D artists on their recruitment page a while ago... no idea if that was for KOF or if it was for something else, but something tells me it would be difficult for them to pull it off in the quality we would all expect.

I'm still disappointed if this is true, but as others have said we should probably wait to see how it turns out. More than anything I'm really worried that the gameplay won't translate well to this new style at all. Think about it. Even if they pull it off and make it a VERY pretty fighter and even if it looks absolutely fantastic, will it play as fluidly? If you look back at 2D games that have gone 3D (Street Fighter as one example), it can be difficult to keep the same feel and make them as fast and responsive as their 2D counterparts. Max Impact for me is a different thing as that plays different anyway with the chain combos etc, but with this one we will be expecting it to play EXACTLY like the KOF we all know and love... if it doesn't then I think SNK will be fucking themselves over here; it has the potential to really hurt their most popular series, and biggest cash cow...

I'll stop my rambling anyway Pfft. But off topic, reza have you seen the other pictures that they released of SF2 HD? Check out Capcom's blog and go through all the news posts as there is a lot of info and more pictures there:

http://blogs.capc...igital.php

Oh and so we don't go too off topic, there's a thread for SF2 HD here --> Smile. I just posted a couple of new images in there of Cammy and M. Bison.

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 28. September 2007 07:11
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
aroboto
Apparently, UDON was thinking of adding more fluid animation to SF2HD, but since it would compromise the gameplay (e.g., make it play completely differently) they decided to just make the sprites look better as opposed to the animation itself.

But I'm getting off topic so I apologize.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of KoFXII, but if it's really gonna be in 3D, then why did SNKP hire sprite artists to do the game's sprites (source: http://game.snkpl...dex.html)? That seems kinda odd. Pfft Maybe the game will be in 2.5D or something? Who knows..... This 3D KoFXII thing is the weirdest rumor I've heard in a while.

Even if it did end up being 3D, I'd have no reason to complain, unless the gameplay wasn't that good.
Edited by aroboto on 28. September 2007 13:37

sotenga
Alrighty, fellas. I posted this about a month-and-a-half ago on a couple of different forums, but these are possible ideas for KoF XII that I had running about in my mind. They're a bit old, so I revised a couple of things here and there.

Ash's Team: Ash, Duo Lon, and a really cool new character. I haven't an idea for a new character, but since Ash and Shen were on XI's team, I could see Ash and Duo reuniting for XII.

The Elementals Team: K', Kula, and Benimaru. Fire, ice, and lightning. Simple as that.

The Well-Dressed Team: Vanessa, Seth, and Oswald. The only real connection here is that they have ties, but I think it's pretty neat.

Neo Fatal Fury Team: Terry, Billy, and Rock Howard. Long after the death of his former boss, Billy's decided to bury the hatchet with Terry. Rock's also grown up enough around this time to fight, which is something a lot of people are expecting.

EDIT: Dammit, I got confused and forgot that Geese is still alive in this timeline. Plus, it's extremely unlikely that Billy would ever team up with Terry, even if his boss were dead in the KoF retcon. Hmmmm... I dunno, maybe we could go for an unused Fatal Fury character to fight with Terry and Rock? Maybe Hon-Fu or Cheng or Hotaru? Crap, I've got nothing. Maybe Lilly Kane, but that's probably never going to happen. Andy could go here, if nothing else.

The AoF Males: Ryo, Robert, and Takuma, of course. Just like old times. But... if SNK isn't going to bring Takuma back (which I hope they do, because I've started to kick a lot of ass with him lately), might I suggest Khushnood Butt as an alternate? Or maybe even KARMAN COLE?! Also, make Ryo into his older, cooler, more badass form from Buriki One and NGBC.

The AoF Females: King, Yuri, and Kasumi. Simple enough.

The Old-School Fatal Fury Team: Joe, Duck King, and Richard friggin' Myer. Hey, he was in MI2, so why not make a return to 2D as well? After being blown off by Terry in the last tournament, Joe calls up two former rivals and takes to the fight. If not Richard, then... I'm going to go out on a limg here, but maybe Michael effin' Max could work. He would need a GIGANTIC redesign to make him a lot less lame. It would be a pretty big WTF move, one that would crack me up if they did that. Might be a bit gratuitous, since Vanessa already very well represents the boxing style (and how!), so I'd be hoping more for Richard here... or possibly even Bob Wilson. It wouldn't be as old-school, but I could see Bob working in KoF.

EDIT: Crap... I forgot Momoko already represents the Capoeira style. I would go with Hwa Jai, but he was pretty much just Joe on juice, and I'm not sure how they could update him for the modern-days. Hmmmmmmm... if all else fails, perhaps Andy could go here instead of Terry's team.

Girl Power!: Athena, Malin, and Momoko. Pretty much combining Athena's 2003 and XI teams here, but I could see it working.

The Fine Young Men: Shingo, Kensou, and a new character who's some sort of teenage streetfighting badass. I just want Shingo and Kensou on a team because they're both young, goofy, and surprisingly powerful fighters. They've also become two of my major favorites as of late.

Neo TKD Team: Kim, Jhun, and May Lee! Probably never going to happen, since May Lee is technically Eolith's intellectual property, but I'd rather it happen than bringing back smelly Chang or pissant Choi. If they're not going to bring May Lee back, maybe bring Chae Lim into 2D form and put her in? (I'm not the biggest fan of Chang or Choi, BTW... but then, who is? LOL )

The Old Fart Team: Chin Gentsai, Tung Fu Rue, and Lee Pai Long. These wizened old fighters still have what it takes to kick some serious patootie. And... I don't think anyone cares about Jubei Yamada from FF2/Special, but if they wanted to give him a serious overhaul and put him into the fold, I wouldn't discount that. It would be the "WTF" move of the year.

The Flames of Justice: Kyo, Saishu, and a new member of the Kusanagi family? Perhaps Souji or Aoi from the King of Fighters Kyo? Maybe Yuki (Kyo's gal), as she has significance when it comes to Orochi? Or someone entirely new?

The Women In Charge Team: Elisabeth, B. Jenet, and Blue Mary. These are some tough females for sure. I think they'd work well together.

The Pro Wrestlers: Tizoc, Ramon, and RAIDEN/BIG BEAR. Oh, that would just kick so much ass. I also possibly considered bringing in Patrick Van Heyting from Buriki One... hmm... maybe it could work. But hey, if neither of those come true, I wouldn't mind seeing big Daimon again.

The Ninjas: Mai, Eiji, and Lin. Not only do I think that Lin is underrated and he needs to be brought back, but why not bring him in with the hot ninja and the somewhat evil ninja? It's literally like the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Neo Ikari Team: Heidern, Leona, and Whip. Nothing against Ralf and Clark, but I keep wondering how they make their way into every game. It's time to give billing to the previous and current commanders of the Ikari team and put them together!

The Commando Team: Maxima, Ralf, and Clark: Okay, so I really like Ralf and Clark too. How about making their commander one of the SNK all-stars? Max WAS technically in Robo Army, you know. Old-school SNK pride!

Orochi Rage: Iori, Yamazaki, and FREEMAN. Iori's in a fubar state since the last tournament; not quite himself, but not quite in the Riot of Blood either. He pairs up with Yamazaki, who's also a bit less sane than usual (hard to imagine), and they find Freeman from Mark of the Wolves to join their cause. C'mon, it's obvious the guy has some of the Orochi blood in him! (My original concept for the third character on this team was Guidel, Leona's father, but after being told to review the ending for KoF '97, Guidel is dead for sure. Dammit, I just really want to see the eighth Orochi head as a playable character... eh, maybe in the next Dream Match.)

The Fierce Brawlers: Shen Woo, Gato, and... hmm... I can't really think of a good third, so I'll say that a new character should go here. But since Shen Woo and Gato are both apparently from China and they're powerful fighters, I could see them working on the same team.

The Bernsteins: Adel, Rose, and a third member of the Bernstein family. They fight, because it's how dad would have wanted it. But perhaps one of them wants the bloodshed to stop...? Anyway, I just want Rose to finally be a playable character.

The Burikis: Gai Tendo, of course... and I'll say Jacques Ducalis and Saionji Takato. I'm not sure if Jacques and Takato are the best representatives, but regardless, we need more Buriki One respek, ya know? Heck, they could actually choose anyone, but many of the fighting styles are already represented by other characters in 2D. Rob Python = Vanessa, Payak Sitpitak = Joe, Song Xuandao = Tung Fu Rue... shit, come to think of it, Takato might be too similar to Kasumi. And then there's Akatsukimaru, who isn't quite as interesting a design as Hinako, and... dammit, even Daimon's Judo might overshadow Ducalis. Ivan Sokolov might work, or possibly Patrick Van Heyting, but Syo Yong Song is out of the question with Kim. Hmmmmm... crap. Unless these characters were majorly altered, Gai's pretty much the only one who doesn't have a 2D equivalent... except himself, of course.

The Kizunas: Hayate, Rosa, and Eagle. I know Eagle's a bit of a dork, but he's not too bad. I would put Kim Sue-Il here, but if Kim Kaphwan's already going to be in it, that'd kind of be redundant. As for the other characters, there's the goofy old Chung, the hairy and odd Gordon, the ninjas Gozu and Mezu (who were pretty much trumped by Jyazu's appearance in XI), the super-weird Joker, the somewhat daft-looking King Lion (who's already in NGBC anyway), and... of course, Carol and Nicola from Savage Reign, who weren't seen in Kizuna Encounter with good reason. Amongst the rest of these goofy designs, Eagle wins by default. Maybe with some design modification, he could be a respectable fighter. But ROSA... that would just win.

And I think Ron should be a mid-boss. If Duo Lon and Lin are in the same game and they're both searching for him, it's time they made him a full-fledged boss and not a freaking super-cheap striker. I'm thinking Jyazu and Silber could also return as mid-bosses. I could also see Grant from Mark of the Wolves as a mid-boss. Or... oh, wait. Holy s#!t. I just had an idea. If Takuma isn't going to be in an AoF team, maybe he could be a mid-boss as Mr. Karate with the Tengu mask? And in the AoF team's ending, Takuma is proud at his son for having come so far as a fighter, and he passes the title of Mr. Karate over to him? Heh... heheheh. Awesome. And how about SETSUNA from the Last Blade? Setsuna was a dark spirit that possessed a dead baby who grew up into a young man. Maybe if his evil spirit lived on, he could be in this game as well? It's more realistic seeing a Last Blade character in the series than a Samurai Shodown character, and the link between KoF and LB has been proven with Eiji and Zantetsu, so why not make it a cursed immortal spirit that just so happens to be a total badass?

And for big bosses, the rest of the Sacred Treasures gang whose silhouettes we saw in 2003. Definitely the one who "killed off" Maki (the one to the left of Mukai in the silhouette picture), and from the looks of it, it seems that there's at least one more member in that team. After they've been taken care of, the absolute final boss should be Orochi, reborn and taking on a COMPLETELY different form from how he was in '97; one that's a lot less humanoid and more demonic/freakish. Oh, and insanely cheap power as well.

Whaddya think, guys? I was kind of running out of ideas in the end. Comments of any sort are welcomed.

cthulhu
I really like the idea of The Pro Wrestlers team and the Kizuna team, only the Kizuna team should include Rosa, Hayate and Jyazu (the boss of Kizuna Encounter...still haven't beaten him dammit).
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

rezabrando
hey, cool, super-cool! I love Setsuna yeah his is my fav character in LB2) but I like Mai be with Andy (play SvC Chaos, and you get why)! but hey you forget VICE and MATURE, I know that they are dead by that fucking Iori, but listen Vice and Mature must get out of thier tomb like Mukoro in LB, I like Mukoro, Vice and Mature be in a team (zombi team), yeah this is gonna be cool! and I love your idea about Iori, yamazaki and freeman. Cool. Grin
Act like a man!

TaZaR
I wonder what will they do with Iori. Roll Eyes
If I'm not mistaken he lost his power in XI.

Prowrestling team... I'm just started to think about what's the reason for snk/capcom/namco/etc. only creates huge size american sportsentertainer stereotypes, and maybe some luchadores in the size. Cmon, in a real life lucha libre federation a big guy like Tizoc or King from Tekken wouldn't even get a job. Luchadores are all small guys with flying skills/techniques. Also there are so many prowrestling styles like puroresu (japanese wrestling), lucharesu (japanese luchalibre), junior style, etc, and they wasn't represented anywhere yet in fighting games (well maybe in slam masters). What's the reason they're not going for it?
Well I don't know, but I wish they would read these rows. Pfft

About team korea... I guess they could come up with some new designs which are not tae kwondo fighters. Also I wouldn't mind seeing Kim Baedal in the game, he's a cool design after all.
Choi and Cheng are indeed strange a bit. Even if they're thoose freak type characters, they should have some more coolness factor. Adding them those taekwondo suits helped on it a bit, but they never were too great designs. But chang's fighting style is quiet original. I could imagine adding that chain ball style to a new character. Wink

What I hope for is Fighter's History Dynamite team, or at least a few chars. They now have license for the game, so they could use Karnov finally. Or even Mizoguchi again. Wink

sotenga
What I hope for is Fighter's History Dynamite team, or at least a few chars. They now have license for the game, so they could use Karnov finally. Or even Mizoguchi again. Wink

... sir... I would murder a million men to have Karnov in a King of Fighters title. That is an incredibly fantastic idea. Grin

NEO GEO DRAGON
The glasses team!!!
Clark
Oswald
Mr Big

boogiepop
Kazuya_UK wrote:
ughhhhhh!

Back in 2006, SNK's Overseas Marketing Manager Yoshihito Koyama told me that the Osaka-based developer thought a "good time" to release a PS3 game was 2009-10. SNK confirmed that King of Fighters XII would be hitting North America on the PLAYSTATION 3 and the Xbox 360 in early 2009. The last non-spinoff entry in the series was KOF XI in 2005, and the upcoming game is a 3D fighter that is shaded to look 2D. Koyama described it as "3D mixed with 2D." Before that, the title will be rolled in its Japanese arcade version in late 2009. Looking forward to seeing how SNK combines this.

Source: Here -->

I got this off Cyberfanatix. I hope to god that isn't true. SNK said it was going to be the "ultimate 2D game", so how does cel-shaded count as 2D? Maybe it'll work, but if this isn't bullshit then I'm afraid I have to say KOF sounds like it's well and truly fucked. I mean, I enjoy Max Impact and all, but this just won't be a proper 2D game which well and truly... sucks... for want of a better word. Roll Eyes

Opinions?

Kaz

No... oh no.... hells no!
So many people consider XI to be the best KOF since 98. I shall curse playmore's name eternally if this turns out to be true.
Born to Die

fumanchu
are there any screenshots of this game yet!!!

garu21
I want the classic fatal fury and AOF2 teams backSmile

garu21
Whaddya think, guys? I was kind of running out of ideas in the end. Comments of any sort are welcome
insane Shock

THX-1138
Why haven't SNK released a single screenshot yet? KOF XII was announced at TGS 2006 wasn't it? I personally love KOF 2003 and KOF XI, they have that classic SNK mixture of deep gameplay and endless playability. I think they are building toward something special with the Ash Crimson saga, i hope KOF XII lives up to my expectations.

Yue
boogiepop wrote:
Kazuya_UK wrote:
ughhhhhh!

Back in 2006, SNK's Overseas Marketing Manager Yoshihito Koyama told me that the Osaka-based developer thought a "good time" to release a PS3 game was 2009-10. SNK confirmed that King of Fighters XII would be hitting North America on the PLAYSTATION 3 and the Xbox 360 in early 2009. The last non-spinoff entry in the series was KOF XI in 2005, and the upcoming game is a 3D fighter that is shaded to look 2D. Koyama described it as "3D mixed with 2D." Before that, the title will be rolled in its Japanese arcade version in late 2009. Looking forward to seeing how SNK combines this.

Source: Here -->

I got this off Cyberfanatix. I hope to god that isn't true. SNK said it was going to be the "ultimate 2D game", so how does cel-shaded count as 2D? Maybe it'll work, but if this isn't bullshit then I'm afraid I have to say KOF sounds like it's well and truly fucked. I mean, I enjoy Max Impact and all, but this just won't be a proper 2D game which well and truly... sucks... for want of a better word. Roll Eyes

Opinions?

Kaz

No... oh no.... hells no!
So many people consider XI to be the best KOF since 98. I shall curse playmore's name eternally if this turns out to be true.

I really hope it doesn't get 3d-ish, there's already the Maximum Impact series. Oh, and when they say 3d shaded to look 2d, would that be like the Dragon Ball Z games and Naruto games?
C'est la vie

THX-1138
Just thought i'd pass the news on that SNK will show some videos of KOF XII at an arcade convention on the 15th/16th of this month! Can't wait to see what it looks like!

boogiepop
Thanks! It's about time they let us have a peek!
Born to Die

DestronPrime
Sweet!

Kazuya_UK
Hell yea... I'm dying to see what they have been up to with KOF XI. Still hoping it's not gonna be cel-shaded and it turns out to be pure 2D... but you just KNOW it won't be Roll Eyes

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
DestronPrime
Well if SNK is right, then the best 2-D is 3D...

THX-1138
Do you guys have high expectations for KOF XII? I personally loved KOF 03' and KOF XI so i really hope this delivers... This whole r0;3D shaded to look 2Dr1; talk makes me nervous though...

Jump to Forum: