Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 62
Thread Info
There are 8 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3331 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New cheap Projector emerging
candycab
For those of you who may want a rather large tv or even a low end projector but dont have alot of cash to spend, you may want to keep an eye on this.

http://lumenlab.c...

It wont win any awards or beat out more mainstream projectors in the market that may be $100.00 to $200.00 more like an Optima or an Infocus, like the one I own and love to death Cool [ X1a ] in terms of pic quality etc.

What it will do is get youre foot in the door very cheaply for the long haul being that replacment Lamps are about $30.00 each and are rated at 6000 hours of life, compare that to my Infocus, [ which is one of the more reasonably priced manufacturers when it comes to bang for the buck ] Lamp cost is $299.00 and rated for 4000 hours.

Would I give mine up for this projector ? No way in hell ! as I feel the $299.00 once a year for a new Lamp is extremely well worth it [ yes its my primary TV and PC monitor ] and I can run any HD signal at its true resolution very well in a fairly bright room.

This model may not appeal to everyone as LCD projectors tend not to over DLP, but if you arent really looking for a highend HDTV [ it will do 480P but thats it ] and want a large pic that should still prove to be very good quality and dont want to break the bank then this may be a very good choice.

the downside of course is going to be things like the low Lumen output on this model [ around 600 Lumens ] means no using in daylight lit rooms as the picture will wash out extremely badly [ it is important to remember that no projector can project black only shades of whitish grey, so bright rooms dont usually fare well with any projector at any price point ] and the low res output wont be too good for anything over 480P as its native res is 800480, looks like it will upscale to 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 for what ever thats worth. Scaling is ass no matter who does it Thumbs Down

It is going to be a true 16 x 9 output though so it shouldnt be prone to tossing out a square of light like a 4 x3 projector running in 16 x 9 mode will, and trust me thats a good way to ruin a great movie experience, actually mine is off getting modded rightnow to prevent that and some internal glare issues.

Something I also find very cool is that Lumenlabs is a DIY Projector company and they do encourage their buyers to feel free to upgrade internal parts if you have the knowledge to do so, that means when you find a better LCD panel to stuff in there they will support you through their forums while you do it.

They are also claiming a no questions asked return policy and a straight swap if need be with out question, I find that rather refreshing.

Anyway just thought I would toss this out since this could be a great toy for the money, I would definitly wait for some independent reviews befor I bought though. Wink

However the people on their forums who have bought one had very good things to say about it.

Im actually going to follow this screen build to the plan or maybe go somewhere around 120 inches since thats about what I usually run it at, quality can and does take a dip when running over 100 inches but its not that bad in most cases.

Went looking for the fabric earlier and ofcourse the best local shop is out of it ubtil next week sometime :|

http://www.engadg...or-screen/
Edited by candycab on 06. January 2007 23:29

Kazuya_UK
Interesting... if I had the space for it then I'd consider this. As it stands I think I'm going to have to stump up the cash officially and go with a plasma or LCD TV. If I ever have the room in the future I would seriously consider a projector... always wanted to build by own little cinema room! Grin

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
candycab
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Interesting... if I had the space for it then I'd consider this. As it stands I think I'm going to have to stump up the cash officially and go with a plasma or LCD TV. If I ever have the room in the future I would seriously consider a projector... always wanted to build by own little cinema room! Grin

Kaz

The LCD market has really started to come down to reality compared to what it was a few years back, they have improved alot but I still feel DLP is superior in image quality and lifespan aswell.

To be honest Plasma scares the hell out of me since its still unknown just how long they will last and then transform into a door stop, they are usually rated for about 55000 hours but Ive heard of quite a few failures after 1 to 2 years [ though Im sure this is improving ]. At least with DLP you probably wont loose anything other than the lamp at some point [ around 3 to 5 years ] which depending on the manufacturer can be costly, but in most cases they are around $100.00 so its not too bad.

Lcd can be a real nightmare since there have been alot of panel failures that are just too costly to repair, and the pic quality cant touch a quality DLP set, that said contrast levels available are now where they should be so finding a set with a 8 or 10000 to 1 ratio or higher is easier to do. What ever you buy pay close attention to contrast since it has the largist influence on the image quality.

Prices across the board are in my mind getting closer to what they should be, $1000,00 goes along way these days. With prices dropping on all of the current technologies I think maybe longevity shouldnt be that much of an issue, since most people will probably be ready to upgrade to a better set in about 2 years time. I think the reality will be that most sets now on the market will be junk within 2 or 3 years, as most models seem to be rather poorly made with cheap materials [ all manufacturers, not just Sony, though I think they tend to stand out the most beacuse of their unrealisticly high pricing ] but I guess time will tell.

If you are interested in Plasma then this may be of some use to you

http://www.plasma...ience.org/

I find the image to be fuzzy looking on just about every plasma I have ever seen, still makes LCD look like the garbage it is though Pfft .
Edited by candycab on 08. January 2007 06:19

deadpixels
If I had more room I'd jump on it. As long as I'm in an apartment though, I dont foresee myself getting use of one.

Really informative post though, I'll keep that projector in mind.

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5727026
candycab
deadpixels wrote:
If I had more room I'd jump on it. As long as I'm in an apartment though, I dont foresee myself getting use of one.

Really informative post though, I'll keep that projector in mind.

I know what you meen Smile

Im doing the apartment thing right now myself though that hasnt stopped me Smile

Im fortunite enough to have a bedroom that is about 14 x 16 and a closet that faces the far wall. So my projector shoots out of the closet onto the far wall giving me anywhere from about an 80' to 135' screen LOL

These pics suck, but will give you some idea of what you could do.

In 4 x 3 mode it looks something like this, Forza replay.

http://photos1.bl...%20002.jpg

These pics are about 12 feet wide, and the projector was firing from the hallway into the room, notice the door knob in the pic. I get about the same result from shooting out of the closet, much squarer actually [ now I run in 16 x 9 for the most part though 4 x 3 is just way to large ] , but with no door knob Wink

http://photos1.bl...%20088.jpg

This was how I was setup for these pics

http://photos1.bl...0027.3.jpp

I will have to try and get some better pics for you guys if you want to see them LOL
Edited by candycab on 11. January 2007 15:11

deadpixels
Though I have to at least temporarily hate you, Smile you're making my 52'' seem like a Fisher Price toy.

Your pics didnt show up on the page, but how do Neo games look on it, and are you using standard composite, component, or s-video for your Neo gaming?

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5727026
candycab
deadpixels wrote:
Though I have to at least temporarily hate you, Smile you're making my 52'' seem like a Fisher Price toy.

Your pics didnt show up on the page, but how do Neo games look on it, and are you using standard composite, component, or s-video for your Neo gaming?

Dont feel bad my largest TV is a 46' Pfft

Yeah my blog doesnt like giving up too much bandwith so sometimes pic links can be hit or miss, they are clickable now though if you want to have a look Wink

Actually some or probably all of them are here http://neojunkie....chive.html

As for Neo on the projector I really couldnt say since Im all MVS on an SC19 like my avitar Wink also in the link above.

I have ran Neo Rage [ 1024 x 768 all arcade settings intact as too mimic arcade res etc ] on it once or twice and it looks much like you would expect it too, same old low res Neo just much larger.
Doesnt bother me any but I think to some degree an AES running on a standard TV using the origional inputs can look much better than a clean signal via RGB or S-Video etc since the low res of the TV acts like a poor mans antialiasing and can clean up alot of things that otherwise standout in terms of ugly visuals, even compared to a cabinet [ any Neo cab over 25' can get a bit ugly at times, some games worse than others ]

Still I think this comes down to preference as the Neo doesnt look too bad either way since its resolution is so low vs say a 640 x 480 DC game that looks like you could cut yourself on the jaggies when something like a VGA box is used ... I think they generally make for a Horrible experience overall, some things just werent created for these levels of clarity and it can really show.
Edited by candycab on 11. January 2007 15:44

Kazuya_UK
I know what you mean about stuf cort of looking better using the original inputs, but I'd never be without my RGB connections on anything as the kind of interference and stuff you get makes it look horrid so I'd prefer it to be clean and perhaps a little pixellated/jaggy. Saying that, my Sony Trinitron is only a 28" widescreen, so I don't notice it as much as if I had a larger TV. Wink

As a side not, for your blog, you don't want a NeoGeoForLife.com hosted one do you? You'll be able to link images from that. Let me know dude. Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
Jump to Forum: