Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 565
Thread Info
There are 8 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5258 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Playing Neo Geo on a widescreen TV
merlin
I would be grateful if someone could offer me some advice because I am a bit confused. The TV that I am using with my AES is getting quite old and is on it's last legs so I need to buy a new one.

I notice that nowadays most larger TVs are widescreen but to be honest I have never used a widescreen TV before. I was thinking of buying either a 26 inch or 32 inch widescreen TV. Because the height/width ratio of the screen is different from older TVs and also the Neo Geo MVS what does the Neo Geo picture look like? Am I correct in guessing that the picture will be stretched to fit the widescreen? If that is the case then I think it would look a bit strange.

On my LCD PC moniter I can change the size of the picture, can you do this with LCD widescreen TVs also? I would rather play with black borders at the sides than have a strangely proportioned picture.

If anyone can advise me I would be very grateful.

Kazuya_UK
Yep, you're correct - you can change the aspect ratio and have borders at the sides of the screen. I agree it's way preferable to having it stretched out, which most people I know seem to do.

One thing though - are you buying a standard CRT screen or an LCD/Plasma flatscreen? If you are getting LCD or Plasma, HDTV's do tend to make older 2D systems look a little crappy, it can certainly end up looking very pixellated that's for sure. It does differ a lot depending on the size of the screen and how close you sit to the TV though. I have a 40" LCD by Samsung and Neo Geo games do look pretty damn pixellated on it. It's all about striking a balance between newer consoles like the 360/PS3 with their HD options looking fantastic, and older consoles looking worse than they used to... there are definitely pro's and cons.

If you are getting a CRT though you'll be fine though Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
boogiepop
I just bought a 19" lcd widescreen this summer and I have to say, I was really disappointed with how the neo games looked on it. Using it as a widescreen really isn't an option; you have to cut of the borders. As for the pixelation, I notice it more on some games over others for some reason. For example, 98 looks alright while 97 looks like total shit. It does seem a lot better when using s video instead of composite if I recall correctly (I don't have an s vid cable with me at the moment to confirm).
Despite this and the fact that it's smaller than my old tv and that the widescreen feature hardly gets used, the fact that it's so flat really has me sold. My old tv was just enormous. Oh, and all the extra doodads are nice too. Still have to try Res Evil 4 on it since it plays like it's in widescreen.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

merlin
Thanks a lot for the advice Kaz and Boogiepop. It has really helped a great deal.

I was planning to buy a 32" LCD TV but I didn't know that older 2D games would look inferior and pixellated. Since I am not going to buy an Xbox360, PS3 etc. I think it would make a lot more sense for me to buy a CRT TV (which would also be significantly cheaper). I'm sure that the newer consoles are great but I am more interested in buying older consoles (An American Snes will be my next purchase).

It's good to know that you can change the aspect ratio with widescreen TVs. I definitely will play with borders at the side. The only downside for me in choosing a CRT is that they are very bulky and heavy.

AES_Collector
Yeah, I agree that Neo-Geo games look pretty bad on a widescreen, at least they do on my widescreen... haha...

I solved this problem by getting an old TV (CRT), and now I have both my widescreen and the old one hooked up all the time, standing side by side. I use the old one for Neo-Geo, NES, and Sega Mega Drive, and the widescreen for XB360, PS2 and GC. This works great and the old school games definately look much better on an old CRT screen, in my opinion!

deadpixels
I don't think it's unbearable. Here's a video I just took for you so you can see how they look firsthand though.

i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/bridgeonceburned/th_widescreengarou.jpg

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5727026
boogiepop
You're running it in widescreen? I dunno, stretched graphics look kinda ugly to me.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

deadpixels
Yeah, I usually have my AES hooked up to a 52'' widescreen monitor, the stretching does not seem particularly fierce to me though. If it ever does bug me though the option is always there to change the formatting to 4:3 aspect ratio.

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5727026
Jump to Forum: