Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 548
Thread Info
There are 217 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 64533 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Street Fighter 4 Announced
boogiepop
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Yea honestly, I think you will find that is the case. I was pulling off all the moves I tried with no problem at all last night (using the Hori stick via usb adaptor). I wish there was a cheap solution to use PS2 sticks and pads on the 360, but there isn't:(. I will buy a stick at some point for the 360 but I really don't want to pay the price for the TE stick that has come out for SFIV. Just one of Hori's sticks they bought out for Virtua Fighter/DOA4 would do me fine, but even they seem expensive these days!

Kaz

One viable solution (which I plan on attempting when I get back) is to mod a ps2 hori stick into a ps2/360 one. There's a guide on how to do it on virtuafighter.com You need a specific type of 360 controller to sack though, like the frogger one.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

RiKo
I just had to check my SFIV and console worked ok so I did have a quick go. I really like the intro, though I think the title screen looks a bit naff.

I really enjoyed the time I spent with it. I played as some guy in blue (didn't look at the name) and died fairly quick, so I then had a go with Ryu and did quite well. It always helps to know the specials. I found the Xbox360 pad ok for doing all the normal special moves. I didn't know any supers so I didn;t try any. I did manage to do the blue guys super move by doing 2xQCF.

Anyone who has a Dreamcast will know true hell when it comes to the D-pad on the standard controller - expecially with so many fighting games for that system. I will def get an arcade stick for Xbox - but cost is stupid at the moment.

This really does feel like normal 2D Streetfighter except with 3D graphics. I don't understand why it has taken so long for someone to do a 2D fighter in 3D well. Its also quite nice the way the backgrounds (although in 3d) atempt to replicate some of the animation and nice touches often found in 2D fighters. I do feel that there are probably not enough polygons available yet though to do a proper crowd scene in the background - like you find in a 2D game.

Enjoying this game so far very much Grin
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Atomduck
I was so proud that I beat an annoying Akuma player with E. Honda... thank you 100 hand slaps!!! also, his ultra is super easy to pull off... however its so satisfying to look at!

RiKo
Well done Atom. I am haven't met Honda in the game yet! Are the players online really good?

I was just thinking that SFIV is the first game I have bought brand new for bloody ages. The last was probably Shenmue on the Dreamcast. (the last time apart from Tekken 5 I got excited about a game). I am enjoying picking up cheap 2nd-hand 360 software from Game Smile

sukotsuto
Most online players are ken n00bs, and here's a handy little flowchart on how a typical Ken is being played:
img7.imageshack.us/img7/1470/kenflow.png

And here's how the character select screen looks like to a typical ken scrub:
i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/PhoenixUMK3/kenroster2.jpg
Edited by sukotsuto on 26. February 2009 20:21

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
RiKo
lol sukosuto. Did you make that? - I love it! Grin
I like this bit best 'Did you Learn anything' - 'Yes' - 'Seriously?' - 'No' LOL

Ken used to be my 2nd favourite in the SNES SFII (after Guile), but I switched to Ryu in 3rd Strike. I have to admit Ken and Ryu are always first choice when I start a new SF game - just becasue I know their specials.

I am looking forward to going online and playing Ken noobs Smile

Atomduck
...hey! thats how I play!! Just kidding, Ken isn't bad but for some reason I prefer Ryu. Suko, your brother kicked my ass yesterday. I'm still having to put Ice on the bruise!!

reelmojo
I've always liked Ken better than Ryu until now. It has nothing to do with Ken "n00bs" either, I just love Ryu's combos in this one. Interrupting a Dragon Punch directly into a Super Fireball is a beautiful thing.

With that said, after practicing a lot with Ryu my best character quickly became Akuma. The fact that his Hurricane Kick juggles is awesome. When keeping your distance the air fireball is great to mix in with standard and "big" (3 hit) fireballs. And the Raging Demon is just deadly in the right hands. I was finally able to beat Seth on the hardest difficulty today using Akuma... and it only took me two tries.

As much as I want my next best character to be Cammy (my main in HD Remix) it's definitely Sakura. I'm good with Cammy, I just can't do the more complex stuff yet. Sakura on the other hand doesn't need the mre complex stuff to be dangerous. The fact that her Super and Ultra both hit low throws a lot of people off. Even if I'm getting my ass kicked I can usually land an Ultra Combo because people just aren't used to blocking them low.

Is anybody else finding that their former best character isn't their best in this game?

phry
..hey! thats how I play!! Just kidding, Ken isn't bad but for some reason I prefer Ryu. Suko, your brother kicked my ass yesterday. I'm still having to put Ice on the bruise!!

Suko's bro kicked my ass too lol. I shall have my vengeance! (I may be unsuccessfull but still may be able to add a few more super atomic busters lol)

Is anyone else finding the 360's analogue stick to be more useful than the d-pad? I've been managing to pull off all supers and ultras after a little acquaintance with it, though should really get one of those saturn-like fightpad things once they become available again.

btw Suko - that Ken flowchart is sooo funny and so true. I do suck enough to still be caught out by the occasional shoryuken though but am getting a bit better after some live play:(
Edited by phry on 28. February 2009 10:47

priest
So today I went to a gamestore and tryed SF4. F*cking wonderful sexy game, I got to get me this game...soon!

I read that some of you doesn´t feel comfortable playing SF4 with the XBOX360 controller. I don´t see the problem, I picked my alltime fave Streetfighter: Guile and it felt like I havent been doing anything else but playing SF4 all these years since the previous game (which for me was SF2)
I think the controlls feels good ,pulling of sonic booms and assault kicks felt just like before in my opinion.

MENTAL NOTE: Got to get this game Got to get this game Got to get this game...

Smile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
I've always liked Ken better than Ryu until now. It has nothing to do with Ken "n00bs" either, I just love Ryu's combos in this one. Interrupting a Dragon Punch directly into a Super Fireball is a beautiful thing.

Personally, I have been a dedicated Ryu player ever since the Alpha series. I preferred his 'Single Hit Knockdown' approach and found he played defensively & offensively equally well. I tend to find Ken, nowadays, is much better at offense than defense, but can, with patience still be used well enough for defense. Even in 3rd strike where Ken is apprently better, I still use Ryu more effectively.

I have liked them both equally in: Alpha 1, SF2Turbo & SSF2 (not 2X!)

Yes, it seems now that Ryu is more effective than Ken. The balance has shifted it seems. Indeed, overall, I believe Ryu is quite easily one of the most deadly in the game, especially now you can juggle chain into supers and chain into Ultras too! He's a bad motherf*cker in this one... thats for sure. Not to be taken lightly. NOT FORGETTING, he now seems to have his invincible dragon punch back too! Great for losers who hammer Hadoken > DPunch on jump. Thats why we have the genius roll-cancelling Abel Grin

reelmojo wrote:
With that said, after practicing a lot with Ryu my best character quickly became Akuma. The fact that his Hurricane Kick juggles is awesome. When keeping your distance the air fireball is great to mix in with standard and "big" (3 hit) fireballs. And the Raging Demon is just deadly in the right hands. I was finally able to beat Seth on the hardest difficulty today using Akuma... and it only took me two tries.

Yeah, no offense Mojo, but having the likes of Akuma in SF again, just ruins it. He's such a prick with his endless list of advantages over everyone else (Teleport, mid air fireball - WTF??! - 3 hit fireball, RIDICULOUSLY overpowered Ultra, SICK chain potential, that horribly fast standing 2hit Kick). I cringe everytime the opponent picks him for online play because it signifies bad things to me - that the player needs distinct advantages over his opponent to win! The amount of times I've had Akuma players quit on me before the fight ends because I've pretty much beaten them... many! I even send the msg's now because it's not on!! THIS ISN'T aimed at you Mojo, but just because they use Akuma doesn't guarantee a victory! That seems to be the attitude they enter the 'arena' with. If the fight doesn't go their way its jumping EX fireballs to walk in sweep continuously. I bet theres real cheap ways to guarantee Shungokusatsu connection too... maybe jumping LP fireball to blocking opponent while buffering lp,lp>lk,hp before landing??

I think Akuma & Seth should be tournament banned, not accessible for online ranked BUT available for 1p Arcade & 2p Versus... as courtesy can be exercised more openly in person.

BEING AN AKUMA PLAYER... you may disagree with everything I've mentioned and argue that if you're good enough, then you should be able to take anyone? In reality I can, it's just simply that Akuma is distinctly advantaged (not as much as Seth mind... he's a right cock!) and was a hidden character in SF2X, Alpha, SF3:2ndImpact, SF EX+a & XMEN:COTA for a reason. PLEASE NOTE that I fully acknowledge that this is simply my opinion Thumbs Up

ALSO his existence, as you've rightly, unintentionally admitted, makes Ryu & Kens inclusion - Ryu especially - pointless!

HAVE YOU FOUND THAT... when you play online, someone will pick, say Blanka, you beat them, then you re-match, right away upon reaching the Ch.select screen.... STRAIGHT up to Akuma!! Interesting... Hmm

reelmojo wrote:
As much as I want my next best character to be Cammy (my main in HD Remix) it's definitely Sakura. I'm good with Cammy, I just can't do the more complex stuff yet. Sakura on the other hand doesn't need the mre complex stuff to be dangerous. The fact that her Super and Ultra both hit low throws a lot of people off. Even if I'm getting my ass kicked I can usually land an Ultra Combo because people just aren't used to blocking them low.

YEAH, Cammy is absolutely deadly in this game!! I've had a few close matches against her. Her Front Kick (Cannon Spike) is more invincible than most Anti-air and the Cannon Drill (Spiral Arrow) is pretty much safe now on block!! Her EX flip>grab is also very deadly. Err.. *cough... I'm not too great with her, but if your good enough with her I'd recommend practicing with her... she's very fast and rather lethal!!

reelmojo wrote:
Is anybody else finding that their former best character isn't their best in this game?

Nope. I'm still best with Guile AND I'm not a dirty Guile turtler either. Oddly I play offensively with him (I have my charges 'down' boys!) and this can catch many off guard I think. ALSO... my other fave Fei-Long still works remarkably well for me too! Some nice new moves to boot too! He probably has the coolest looking Ultra in the game too?

I've been learning Abel. Great character! Fits in well enough too. Great for destroying overly defensive players (the average Guile player for example as the roll works wonders!) Tried CViper, but she doesnt work for me unfortunately... SUPER cool though. El Fuerte looks dangerous as does Rufus, but Rufus looks like a bag of shit... sorry Capcom.

INTERESTINGLY like you mentioned Sakura is now very useful and whats up with Dan now being AWESOME?! He's really great to use and not anywhere near as disadvantaged as in previous iterations (not including Alpha 1... he was awesome in that game too!)

I tend not to use Ryu or Ken (or Akuma... heh) in this game as I find 'em a little boring to use. This is all because of SNK games and in particular 3rd Strike. I always strive to diversify and learn more interesting characters now... shame SFIV is actually SF EX4+SF2+SFA making a whopping 4 new characters. Duuuuhhh.

ALSO, I've never liked or enjoyed the likes of: Dhalsim, Blanka, Honda, Zangief, Chun-Li (except 3rd Strike... she's AMAZING in that, such a diverse fighting style) and also Vega/'Claw'... another cheap-shit! HOWEVER, even though not 3rd Strike material (in my eyes) Chunners looks useable in this game, just not as cool as 'old'.

I liked all the 'Super' characters too but shame about no THawk or DJ Real Sad maybe later?

SF EX? Yep!
1) 3D
2) Focus Attacks are from EX
3) Ultra Combos are also from EX

Capcoms little beauty borrows much from Arikas greatly under-appreciated cousins!

Ninja

reelmojo
You do bring up some good points about Akuma, though you're correct to assume that I would disagree with some of them. I don't think the 3 hit fireball is overpowered at all because it takes so much longer to launch. It's a useful tool against people who just want to enter fireball wars, but only rarely as if you try it at the wrong time you're going to get hit. His teleport I have never found to be too particularly useful because it's too easy to predict where he'll come out of it and sweep him. Dhalsim and Seth's are way more useful IMO. I'll have to try that jumping LP air-fireball to Super/Ultra to see if it works. I think it would be possible to hit them with the super before they get the chance to jump out, but the timing seems like it's be really difficult. Also keep in mind that his moves do less damage than Ryu unless you fully connect with them... his dragon punch doesn't even knock down if you're too far away which makes it really dangerous to do unless you're practically touching.

His Super/Ultra are actually really difficult to land on anyone who's decent. One great trick I've found is to just walk up close and start imputing the command. A lot of times your opponent will try to jump back when you get that close so you'll hit him with a LP and he'll land right into your Raging Demon.

I'll definitely take your advice and practice more with Cammy. In HD Remix I was better with her than I ever have been with any character in any game ever. Her Spiral Arrow being safer (and having a much longer range) is nice, but her Hooligan Combination isn't as useful this time unless you use the EX version, which sucks because it was definitely my deadliest tool in HDR. But, different game, different Cammy. I'm sure I'll like her more in time.

Back to Akuma, you mentioned his existence making Ryu and Ken pointless. From a gameplay standpoint I kind of see where you're coming from, but he has different options and a subtly different play style that makes me disagree. Plus, for storyline purposes he's pretty much required. I wouldn't mind it if they killed him off, but that'd be a bold move for Capcom. SNK would do it, but Capcom plays things a bit more safely.

Powerwave
sukotsuto i love ure analysis of noobs playing as ken on sf4 its very true. i have finaly got round to unlocking all the fighters and i realy like seth alot because he is good at long range and then when ure close you can lay the screw piledriver on there ass. i absolutely love sf4 i play it alot and just love the way it feels like sf2 with its retro feel i just love it love it love it.

reelmojo
Well, I'm better with Cammy now. She's probably my second best just behind Sakura. I still feel like some of my strategies are a bit too "Super Turbo" if you know what I mean, but I usually win with her online now and I'm putting together some good combos finally. Also, when playing online for the last two nights I only fought Ken once! Is it possible that the Ken Noob stigma is over? I actually fought a few people who used some of the less seen characters online effectively, including a C. Viper who absolutely mopped the floor with me, and an El Fuerte who I just barely beat.

I'm really hoping at E3 they announce some dowloadable characters. Bring on Ibuki!

RiKo
I tried Ken for the first time yesterday - but I prefer Ryu! Ken doesn't look so good in this SF. I think they could have made some of the characters a bit cooler - Guile doesn't look as good as he should I think.

Played against E Honda for the first time and gave him a good beating (this is only my third go, because the Xbox was an opportunity buy (good offer), and I intend to spend more time on it when I get a free period).

Raiken
Me and a couple of friends spent about 4 hours one night beating the shit out of one Ken noob after another. We beat a lot of shitty runaway Akuma players too.
oi66.tinypic.com/zyjcpl.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
Raiken wrote:
Me and a couple of friends spent about 4 hours one night beating the shit out of one Ken noob after another. We beat a lot of shitty runaway Akuma players too.

WHAT?? You actually managed to beat an Akuma player, who didn't quit out on you at the end of the 2nd/3rd round??! IMPRESSIVE!

EVERYTIME I'm about to 'take one down' (I find M.Bison/Dictator is the best for this task) I usually get a frozen screen, followed by 'disconnected etc', followed by a PM, to them, from me, exclaiming my disgust for their lack of respect & etiquette.

REGARDLESS, I'm pretty bored of SFIV already. This is what happens when you go back to the SF2 drawing board in 3D I guess. SF3-3S has lasted me (& friends) nearly 10 years of religious play due to the gameplay depth on offer, diversity and fresh characters etc.

Even if SF4 introduced some 3S characters now, I don't really think I'd give a shit. Unless of course they introduce some new system additions like standard Super Jumps for all, Mid-Air block perhaps? The Parry maybe but equip the Parry with a 'guard-break' style bar so that it cannot be abused - say it needs to refill after a SINGLE physical attack with a second or less of invincibility (for example, you only have to parry the 1st of Kens 3hit DP and the rest passes you by - as parry is all about split second timing) but PROJECTILES can be parried infinitely (including multi-parrying Ryu's ULTRA fireball... his ultra so needs to be changed anyway, to ShinSRK or his ShinkuuTatsuMaki - achieveable in mid-air perhaps? - seeing as I propose a return of MidAir blocking... ramble, ramble, ramble.... Cool

JUST thinking out loud here guys. What are your thoughts 3-4 weeks on? Hmm

Ninja

reelmojo
http://www.capcom...d=63160361

That's a tier list for the game including console characters. It's not made by Capcom but I like that they're acknowledging it. It's interesting that Ryu is so much higher than Ken. And I certainly didn't expect Blanka to be listed so high. Of course that's probably just my long standing bias against charge characters talking.

Looking at that it seems the game is more balanced that I even thought, and I wasn't having any trouble with the balance in the first place.
Edited by reelmojo on 25. March 2009 07:33

DevDan
Unbelievable, how did rufus and blanka got scored so high.. I'm also getting tired of the game, it really doesn't follow the greatness of it's predecessor. I expected more than 4 new unique characters, and what do they do, bring the alpha characters back, (I have no urge or hatred for all you alpha lovers out there) but there are too many fireballs in this game, I want NEWCOMERS Goddammit, not T.hawk and deejay (for those how don't know, capcom is considering bringing them back). Noff moan, SFIV is a must for any capcom affectionate, I'm leaving here a challenge for anyone who dares ^^ (I'm not a flowchart, nor do I throw fireballs)
Edited by DevDan on 25. March 2009 22:59

reelmojo
Say what you will about Rufus's visual design but you can't discount how dangerous he is. I haven't taken the time to learn him yet but I'm looking forward to doing so. I'm always a little worried when someone online picks him.

Jump to Forum: