Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Supergrafx
Thread ID: 5334
Thread Info
There are 43 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6513 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rise and fall of a video game business in the 90's
Supergrafx
RiKo wrote:

Very interesting read Supergrafx, thanks for taking so much time to share your stories with us. Impressed you got some Neo Geos from the UK. They were rare enough here at the time. Also interesting that the revamped store you helped with was so good that it forced Blockbuster to move on!

I have to admit it was very satisfying to give Blockbuster a decent kick in the balls on several occasions. As i said earlier in part three, they would set up a new store as close as possible to an established competition store and also have a 2 to 3 month period where they were not expected to make a profit. The Blockbuster group would support the new store in regards to overheads such as rent/wages during this period. The new store would then focus on stealing as much of the established store's business during this period by offering insane deals on new release movies. This tactic is how they became the largest video chain group in the world and put most of their competition out of business.

The Neo Geo's we had were all from the US and you could use either a pal mega drive or master system power pack instead of the supplied US one. We did get a handful of pal 3DO machines from the UK.

I am glad you have enjoyed these rather long winded posts RiKo which would have been much longer had i not left out a lot of things that weren't relevant to the main story. Mai

RiKo
Blockbusters in the UK (maybe the world?) seem to have mostly gone out of business. They got their come-uppance in the end Angry

I only knew one school friend with a Neo geo. Everyone else was arguing over what was best out of the Megadrive, SNES and the Amiga.

If you have any more vidoe game stories from your time in the business, post them here. Always interesting to read Thumbs Up
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Supergrafx
RiKo wrote:

Blockbusters in the UK (maybe the world?) seem to have mostly gone out of business. They got their come-uppance in the end Angry

I only knew one school friend with a Neo geo. Everyone else was arguing over what was best out of the Megadrive, SNES and the Amiga.

If you have any more vidoe game stories from your time in the business, post them here. Always interesting to read Thumbs Up

I'm glad you enjoyed it RiKo, i will post a few follow ups sometime in the future.

The Neo Geo was a console for the hard core gamers with lots of cash as opposed to the Mega Drive and SNES that was a lot more affordable. We didn't sell heaps of Neo Geo's simply because of the cost of the games.

The video library industry seems to have died off nowadays, i can't remember even having seen a library recently.

Jump to Forum: