Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: mikerapollo
Thread ID: 5306
Thread Info
There are 22 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2836 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
NEW NEO GEO AES
mikerapollo
FINALLY I got a Japanese Neo Geo AES ! The games I have are Samurai Shodown 1 & 2, Fatal Fury Special and KOF 94. All great games & fun system but I want to get some mods on it soon. ( the composite picture is ok i guess but not great )...Any recommendations for someone to install S-video / Component / Unibios / Stereo AV ?

Thanks!

Terry

NEO-GEO man
Stereo mod is a total waste of time and money in every sense of the word, the console outputs stereo from the headphone jack on the front, there is a cable that splits to 2 RCAs.

Dont waste your time adding pointless shit to the back of your console.

UniBIOS is great, no good reason not to get one.

S-video is pointless. Its better than composite, but not much. If you really must play this thing on a digital TV, buy an XRGB, connect all your consoles using RGB, and connect the XRGB to the TV.

RGB is the best possible visual output, and they have it factory fitted, no mod required.

Dont let anyone tell you the serial number has anything to do with video output, because that is total horse shit, it does change slightly between either the 3-3 or 3-4 and 3-5+, but the reason is SNK used the wrong value capacitors on the Sony CXA1145, which can easily be swapped to the correct values. Serial number aint got a thing to do with any of it!

mikerapollo
Ya, I'm getting stereo sound out of the headphone jack for now so no big deal there. Your talking about the xrgb framemeister thing right ? Looks cool but How do I get the signal into it from the AES ? My AES has a composite cable with yellow ( video ) and white ( mono audio ) so I'm guessing you don't mean just plug the composite into the XRGB. Your talking about using a SCART cable to go to the XRGB or something right ?.

NEO-GEO man
Yes, use a SCART cable, this will give you RGB, which all NEO‚ÄĘGEOs have from the factory as standard, you will need to re-wire it for Japan 21-pin RGB or buy an adaptor plug for the framemeister though, but that is really easy.

Sensi
You should use like one of these: https://www.retro...ereo-sound

A framemeister is a (expensive) option for your HDTV.
I don't know where you live but in Europe it should be very easy to find a cheap CRT in a secoond hand store. If you have the space for it, hook it up via RGB. Check if the CRT supports RGB, the lastest models should.
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg

NEO-GEO man
The framemeister is expensive on the surface, but you can then use it for every retro console and it gives the best image possible.

There is nothing better at all, and if you can pay the price of an AES, the framemeister is cheap.

Otherwise, may as well have gone emulator, cause the lag from a HDTV having to do the scalling will be considerably worse, making alot of games difficult to play.

mikerapollo
Im in the US so no Scart TVs , so it would have to be a framemeister or similar product...

NEO-GEO man
Definately look into that, you want the best image!

mikerapollo
I will , thanks!

RiKo
Congratulations of your Neo Geo mikerapollo. You got some great games to play too. I use the standard RGB output on my console which seems perfect to me. Def get a UniBios, though. I mainly use mine for changing regions. But also useful to set infinite lives when practicing games. Sadly the guy who did my mod isn't doing them anymore but if you ask around on NeoGeo.com and someone will point you in the right direction.

I also got a blue LED put under the Reset button. This is a very important mod to have Wink Thumbs Up
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NEO-GEO man
Ummmm.... No its not... Nothing worse than lighting up a darkened room with pointless LED lights you absolutely DO NOT NEED.

mikerapollo
Ya, the Bios would be pretty cool since all my games are in Japanese lol. I always run out of credits too : 5 credits is not enough for me ha ha

Thanks for the welcome folks !

NEO-GEO man
Some games have more, some have less! Some are unlimited.

mikerapollo
Yikes , less than 5 credits thats tough !!

NEO-GEO man
Usual amount is 4 per side, 1 to start and 3 continues.

Depending on versions of the game sometimes credits given varies, Burning Fight is a good example, one version gives 4 credits per side, the other gives 11 per side. The game play is pretty much the same as far as i can tell after 2 decades of playing it.

Nam gives 5 or 6 continues per side, but reaching the final boss disables continues.

Pretty near all the fighting games give 4 credits per side, and during 2 player matches if the losing player continues before the 9 seconds runs out no credit is used.

Some games vary between regions, it makes no difference what region the cart is, the BIOS decides this. The Japan region of alot of the shooters is harder, Strikers 1945 gives 4 lives instead of 3, but the hitbox around the player is much larger, making it significantly harder.

Neo Driftout has a different timing when in US region, so on Euro and Japan region you cant achieve the same section times.

Samurai Shodown has red blood and the ability to cut the oponent in half in Japan region, US and Euro has white blood and no cutting in half. Samurai Shodown 2 has simular variations but green blood, and the region can be set in the game menu prior to starting play. Samurai Shodown is the US/Euro name for these games, Samurai Spirits is the Japan region name, Samurai Shodown 2 is called Shin Samurai Spirits, the 5th and 6th games in this series called Samurai Shodown V/ V Special in US/Euro, and Samurai Spirits Zero/Zero Special in Japan.

Thrash Rally has different names for the vehicles in Japan region.

2020 Baseball has different voice over commentary on Japan region.

Soccer Brawl has a different score display screen in Japan region.

Zed Blade is called Operation Ragnarok in Japan region.

mikerapollo
Cool, thanks for all the info guys - thats good stuff to know

NEO-GEO man
Yeah mate its handy to know for some of the high score runs, some are considerably easier to achieve a high score in one particular region.

Some more for you:

Aero Fighters 3, Euro region for some reason has the bullets going at you twice as fast.

Prehistoric Isle 2, Japan region has a heath bar of sorts, getting shot causes loss of one portion and also one person you saved. US/Euro has lives, getting shot you lose all saved persons, and drop a level of weapon power ( i think )

Metal Slugs, all have red blood in Japan, no blood in US/Euro. Metal Slug 1 and 2 are better on CD due to a couple options not present on the cart versions that i consider critical. Metal Slug X and upwards all had these options.

mikerapollo
Ya I need to get me an Aero fighters game , those look pretty rad.

NEO-GEO man
The 3rd one isnt the greatest game in my opinion.

What games do you have?

mikerapollo
Samurai Shodown 1 & 2, Fatal Fury Special and KOF 94. My next game will be something other than a fighter ha ha.

Jump to Forum: