Username
Password

Remember?
Click here to register.
Forgot Your Password?
Search:
December 11 2017

Navigation
· Home
· Reviews
· Kazuya's Neo Top 10
· In Depth FAQ's
· Downloads
· Web Links
· News Categories
· Image Gallery
· Official Wallpapers
· Fan Made Wallpapers

· NGFL Site Projects

· Neo Geo - The Console
· Neo Geo Pocket Handheld
· Articles

· SNK Jukebox
· NGFL Arcade

· Discussion Forum
· Chatroom
· Latest Comments
· Xbox Live Leaderboard
· NGFL World Map

· Contact Me
· Site FAQ's
· Search Site

· Submit News
· Submit Link
· Submit Article
· Submit a Photo
· Submit Download

Random Review
Magician Lord

Users Online
· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 2,345
· Newest Member: 4d

Last Seen Users
NeoStrayCat03:46:54
Murikov03:54:23
Supergrafx17:07:11
STE C17:53:10
Henke 1 day
merlin 5 days
green beret 1 week
RiKo 2 weeks
cthulhu 2 weeks
dhowerter 2 weeks

Ad

Support Us!
Donate To Us!
Enter an amount to donate:
¤

Why Donate?

Game events
Latest scores
NeoStrayCat
scored 193 points in
League Bowling
League Bowling
Henke
scored 523 points in
Snow Bowling
Snow Bowling
Henke
scored 172 points in
League Bowling
League Bowling
Henke
scored 28725 points in
Heli Boarding
Heli Boarding

Latest champions
Henke
is the new champion in
Snow Bowling with 523 points
Snow Bowling
Henke
is the new champion in
Heli Boarding with 28725 points
Heli Boarding
Henke
is the new champion in
Donkey Kong with 24900 points
Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter


Thread Author: -SD-
Thread ID: 5282
Thread Info
There are 21 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2843 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Sega Saturn
-SD-
Rather than derail the Recent Purchases thread any further, I thought it best to start a new one just for Saturn discussion.

Has anyone played Lupin 3rd: Sage of the Pyramid? There's a couple of gameplay videos on YouTube, but without any opinions offered by the creator. It looks quite interesting....

If anyone wants to share details of their collection I'd like to see/hear what you have.

So these cheap Action Replay carts on eBay... I assume these are the dodgy ones that can potentially damage the cart slot? What is the best 3 in 1 cart to get?
Edited by -SD- on 04. February 2016 14:13
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W
 
Henke
-SD- wrote:
So these cheap Action Replay carts on eBay... I assume these are the dodgy ones that can potentially damage the cart slot? What is the best 3 in 1 cart to get?


I'd say none. Mod your Saturn with a reg free bios instead. If you don't like the idea with modded consoles, I'd still prefer owning two Saturns from different regions over using one of those carts.

I once owned nearly 100 games for Saturn, but sold off lots of them as it was a way to finance AES games for me.
I regret selling only a few of them, maybe 5-10 titles or so. Luckily those are really cheap ones, so it's easy to get them again.
Today I've got 35 games left and planning to get around 20 more.

Favorites from what I still own is:

Assault Suit Leynos 2
Elevator Action Returns
Nights
OutRun
Panzer Dragoon trilogy
Sega Rally

What I would like to own most right know:

Stellar Assault SS
 
-SD-
Check out the Lost Games Recovery Programe for some unreleased Saturn games.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W
 
Sensi
Haven't played Lupin, sorry. The animated sequences look good, in-game isn't very impressive, more clumsy.

Recently I bought a new 3-1 Action Replay from PlayAsia. I already had one, but it was a older version and didn't support properly 4MB RAM for Marvel vs. Capcom.
The new one works like it should. The Saturn is notorious of having bad cartridge connections, so it would be best to leave the cartridge in the system and get it 'married' with the console. It's not the most reliable card, but having a Japanese skeleton Saturn, I want to play imports, back up saves and have 4MB RAM if the game needs it. So it's a nice all in one solution. Although I prefer original memory cards, it's not handy in this case.

Many years ago I bought many cheap Japanese games via Ebay. Due price but back then I was very motivated to learn Japanese. But most games didn't have a language barrier. Later I bought USA/PAL versions of some games (Panzer Dragoon, Shining Wisdom) to understand the text and story. I'm glad I started soon with buying Saturn games, even though I didn't had the time to play them all. Prices were way more friendly then nowadays.

COLLECTION:

Advanced World War Daisenryaku
Airs Adventure
Albert Odyssey
Arcana Strikes
Astal
Baku Baku Animal
Baroque
Battle Arena Toshinden URA
Battle Garegga
Blue Breaker
Bug!
Bug Too!
Burning Rangers
Christmas Nights
Clockwork Knight
Clockwork Knight 2
Culdcept
D
Dark Savior
Daytona USA
DecAthlete
Deep Fear
Desire
DoDonPachi
DonPachi
Dragon Force
Enemy Zero
F-1 Live Information
Farland Saga Episode II
Fatal Fury 3
Guardian Heroes
Gunbird
GunGriffon
GunGriffon II
Hat Trick Hero S
Jikkyou Pawerful Puroyakyu '95
J-League Go Go Goal!
J-League Sakatsuku 2
Keio Yugekitai
Langrisser III
Layer Section
Magic Knight Rayearth
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Mizubaku Daibouken
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mystaria
NBA Jam
Nightruth #1
Nights
Nonomura Byoin no Hitobito
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II
Panzer Dragoon Azel
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Pocket Fighter
Policenauts
Princess Crown
Quovadis
Quovadis 2
Radiant Silvergun
Ronde
Sakura Wars 2
Sega Rally Championship 1995
Sega WorldWide Soccer 97
Sega Worldwide Soccer '98
Sengoku Blade
Shienryu
Shining Force III
Shining the Holy Ark
Shining Wisdom
Shinobi Legions
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru
Shiroki Majo
Skeleton Warriors
Slayers Royal
Soldnerschild S
Soukyugurentai
Stakes Winner 2
Steamgear Mash
Stellar Assault SS
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Zero
Street Fighter Zero 2
Striker '96
Terra Phantastica
The House of the Dead
The Story of Thor 2
Thor
Thunder Force Gold Pack 1
Thunder Force Gold Pack 2
Thunder Force V
Tohshinden S
Tomeki Memorial
Vampire Hunter
Victory Goal '96
Victory Goal '97
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Racing
Virtual Hydlide
Virus
Wachenröder
Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon
Wing Arms
Wolf Fang
Yukyu Gensokyoku 2nd Album
Zero4 Champ Doozy J Type-R
Edited by Sensi on 05. February 2016 00:10
 
-SD-
Well, that's certainly a very healthy collection you have there Sensi Headbang

I put in an order for a few more games and I've decided to give Wolf Fang a go from your recommendations. I never had Sengoku Blade before so I'm going to see about that too.

I was reading an article yesterday on HG101 about the Tempo series; I never knew of a Saturn sequel to the 32X game, or even the GG port. So off I go to eBay to track one down...... yeeeees, don't think I'll be playing that anytime soon.

I'm quite intrigued by all the different variants of the console. Mine's a HST-0014 white one, but I quite like the look of the V-Saturn.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W
 
green beret
Sensi wrote:

Haven't played Lupin, sorry. The animated sequences look good, in-game isn't very impressive, more clumsy.

Recently I bought a new 3-1 Action Replay from PlayAsia. I already had one, but it was a older version and didn't support properly 4MB RAM for Marvel vs. Capcom.
The new one works like it should. The Saturn is notorious of having bad cartridge connections, so it would be best to leave the cartridge in the system and get it 'married' with the console. It's not the most reliable card, but having a Japanese skeleton Saturn, I want to play imports, back up saves and have 4MB RAM if the game needs it. So it's a nice all in one solution. Although I prefer original memory cards, it's not handy in this case.

Many years ago I bought many cheap Japanese games via Ebay. Due price but back then I was very motivated to learn Japanese. But most games didn't have a language barrier. Later I bought USA/PAL versions of some games (Panzer Dragoon, Shining Wisdom) to understand the text and story. I'm glad I started soon with buying Saturn games, even though I didn't had the time to play them all. Prices were way more friendly then nowadays.

COLLECTION:

Advanced World War Daisenryaku
Airs Adventure
Albert Odyssey
Arcana Strikes
Astal
Baku Baku Animal
Baroque
Battle Arena Toshinden URA
Battle Garegga
Blue Breaker
Bug!
Bug Too!
Burning Rangers
Christmas Nights
Clockwork Knight
Clockwork Knight 2
Culdcept
D
Dark Savior
Daytona USA
DecAthlete
Deep Fear
Desire
DoDonPachi
DonPachi
Dragon Force
Enemy Zero
F-1 Live Information
Farland Saga Episode II
Fatal Fury 3
Guardian Heroes
Gunbird
GunGriffon
GunGriffon II
Hat Trick Hero S
Jikkyou Pawerful Puroyakyu '95
J-League Go Go Goal!
J-League Sakatsuku 2
Keio Yugekitai
Langrisser III
Layer Section
Magic Knight Rayearth
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Mizubaku Daibouken
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mystaria
NBA Jam
Nightruth #1
Nights
Nonomura Byoin no Hitobito
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II
Panzer Dragoon Azel
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Pocket Fighter
Policenauts
Princess Crown
Quovadis
Quovadis 2
Radiant Silvergun
Ronde
Sakura Wars 2
Sega Rally Championship 1995
Sega WorldWide Soccer 97
Sega Worldwide Soccer '98
Sengoku Blade
Shienryu
Shining Force III
Shining the Holy Ark
Shining Wisdom
Shinobi Legions
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru
Shiroki Majo
Skeleton Warriors
Slayers Royal
Soldnerschild S
Soukyugurentai
Stakes Winner 2
Steamgear Mash
Stellar Assault SS
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Zero
Street Fighter Zero 2
Striker '96
Terra Phantastica
The House of the Dead
The Story of Thor 2
Thor
Thunder Force Gold Pack 1
Thunder Force Gold Pack 2
Thunder Force V
Tohshinden S
Tomeki Memorial
Vampire Hunter
Victory Goal '96
Victory Goal '97
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Racing
Virtual Hydlide
Virus
Wachenröder
Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon
Wing Arms
Wolf Fang
Yukyu Gensokyoku 2nd Album
Zero4 Champ Doozy J Type-R

My god! You got yourself a great and huge collection Sensi! Top games are all included! Bravo!
 
RiKo
Impressive collection Sensi! Andy

Henk wrote :- What I would like to own most right know:

Stellar Assault SS


I do have that, it's a good enough game but definitely not worth the money it goes for now. Also (like Battle Garegga) I'm sure it's not that rare either given the number of copies that are on Ebay right now. I haven't played it for a while but I think because of it's 32X origins it plays in a window, so not full-screen.

Great Japlish though....

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/stellar_zps9ffd3e69.jpg
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//
 
http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Henke
HAha, wonderful Japlish! I like the 32x game so I want to try the saturngame.
 
-SD-
i.imgur.com/JsRh6aN.jpg

Wolf Fang mecha from the Shooting Game Historica series 3.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W
 
Sensi
So, how is your Saturn hooked up SD?
Via S-Video or RGB?
 
-SD-
RGB via an XRGB Mini. Or at least it will be when the sodding Scart lead arrives. I am however considering a trip to Essex, the land of B&O TVs, or so it would seem, if I can find a nice condition 28" MX 7000 crt.

Also, does anyone know about Ninpen Manmaru? I got mine from Genki Videogames here in the UK for about £20. I looked on eBay and the only two copies on there were well expensive, one over £100 and another that I think was sealed for over £200! Now mine is missing the spine card but that seems like a huge price difference. Have I got a rareish game for an excellent price, or are these other people vastly overpriced?
Edited by -SD- on 11. February 2016 01:31
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W
 
Sensi
You made a great deal with Ninpen Manmaru. Ebay is way overpriced for this game, I saw a copy for about $80 on a regular site. Anyway, sometimes you just need some luck. The games looks nice, is the Saturn 3D controller compatible with the game?
 
-SD-
I've just had a look in the manual and there's no mention of analog compatibility. It just shows the standard pad, but I will test it out. Great to hear I got a pretty good deal Beard

I have ordered a 3D controller. But I'm a bit funny about used controllers.... I'd rather have a nice new one, even if the console itself is used. So I found a brand new Magic Carpet box set that includes the pad, as there's probably no chance of finding a new Nights box set. It also works with the version of Sega Rally Plus that I got so I can't wait to try that too.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W
 
Sensi
Sometimes it's indeed better to buy a pack (with a useless game) to obtain the hardware you want. Did the same trick a few months ago for a original (new) DC mic.

It would be a shame if the pad wouldn't be compatible with the game. The game could really use it. The controller works really well with a lot of games. I bought the controller for Nights only, not knowing then so much games support it. Great thingy.
 
-SD-
I'm actually looking forward to giving Magic Carpet a go. I remember there was quite a fuss made about it when it was released on PC. So why the DC mic, are you breeding Seamen?

Are there many games that benefit from using the analog controller? I can't think of anything other than MC, Nights and Sega Rally + that officially support it. Maybe Burning Rangers?
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W
 
Henke
-SD- wrote:

Are there many games that benefit from using the analog controller? I can't think of anything other than MC, Nights and Sega Rally + that officially support it. Maybe Burning Rangers?


About 100 titles works with the 3D-Pad.
Ninpen Manmaru isn't one of them, at least not officially and probably not at all. But you can always switch to use the standard d-pad on the controller so you don't have to change controller all the time.

Look at SegaRetros page about the 3D Control Pad for a list:
http://www.segare...ontrol_Pad
 
Sensi
-SD- wrote:

I'm actually looking forward to giving Magic Carpet a go. I remember there was quite a fuss made about it when it was released on PC. So why the DC mic, are you breeding Seamen?

Are there many games that benefit from using the analog controller? I can't think of anything other than MC, Nights and Sega Rally + that officially support it. Maybe Burning Rangers?


Yeah, Seamen is the right guess. Would be nice to fiddle with him after work, for a hour a day or so.

The PC release of Magic Carpet was indeed a fuss, mainly of the high-end (Pentium) PC you needed to run the 3D world smoothly. Don't know how the Saturn version does compare to it, please let us know.

Henke, thanks for list. SD should have a idea right now how many games are supported Smile
 
-SD-
Yeah, thanks for the link to the list Henke Terry

I think I'll give the Panzer Dragoon double pack a go as I've never played any of the series :$ Thankfully I don't need to worry about Saga as I'm really not into RPGs. And that's a good thing as English language console RPGs in general tend to end up quite expensive, especially PlayStation.

The Magic Carpet box set arrived today along with Sengoku Blaede and the Chase H.Q./S.C.I double pack Joe
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W
 
Henke
I've had lots of fun with Sengoku Blade and Chase H.Q./S.C.I, even if the Chase/S.C.I port is a bit rough.

Oh, you're in for a real treat with the PD games, as long as you don't mind the pretty outdated graphics. But oh how glorious they were to me in 96 or so!
 
-SD-
Has anyone got/tried the official Saturn wireless controllers (HSS-0116)? Do they work well without any input lag, or are they a bit shite?
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W
 
Jump to Forum:

  Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Stakes Winner 2 on Saturn - English Language Select!! :-O Neo Geo & General SNK Talk 1 28. February 2013 19:46
WTB: Saturn Twin Sticks Selling Forum 6 25. October 2012 02:41
Saturn racing arcade Non SNK Console/PC Gaming Discussion 7 13. September 2012 13:26
sega and their system games Non SNK Console/PC Gaming Discussion 14 05. September 2012 22:42
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed Non SNK Console/PC Gaming Discussion 8 07. June 2012 00:59