Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Murikov
Thread ID: 5278
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4871 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Neo XYX - What do you think of it?
Again homebrew? More like homescrew-this. Again homebrew? More like homescrew-this. 0%[0 Votes]
Huh, never played it. Could be worth a try though. Huh, never played it. Could be worth a try though. 11%[1 Vote]
Awful, not worth the price on the Neo Geo. Awful, not worth the price on the Neo Geo. 11%[1 Vote]
Not bad, but I rather play Truxton II or Dogyuun. Not bad, but I rather play Truxton II or Dogyuun. 11%[1 Vote]
A very good shmup for our trusty Neo! A very good shmup for our trusty Neo! 44%[4 Votes]
One of the best NGDEV games, if not on the whole system! One of the best NGDEV games, if not on the whole system! 22%[2 Votes]
Total Votes : 9
 Print Thread
Neo XYX - Game of the Month
Murikov
Welcome to the Game of the Month!

This month we're featuring Neo XYX, the fifth game released by the German Indie developers NG:DEV.TEAM. While it was not the siblings' first shoot 'em up game, it still stands out from the rest of the library. First of all it's possible to tilt the screen into either vertical (known as Tate mode) with borders or into horizontal (Yoko mode) to make more use of a 4:3 screen.

Furthermore Neo XYX differs artistically from the team's previous games. The pixel art is comparable to classic Toaplan Shmups in the likes of Tatsujin/Truxton or Dogyuun. In fact the Hellwig brothers were able to count on Gryzor's artistic skills, who already helped the team out on Gunlord's ingame artwork. By the way, the original demo of Gryzor's original homebrew project XYX can still be downloaded. Many of its content and art was later re-used for the definite release on the Neo Geo and Dreamcast.

The music was once more delivered by Rafael Dyll, the man behind the already awesome soundtracks of Last Hope / Pink Bullets, Fast Striker or Gunlord.

Neo XYX

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_196/neoxyx_cover_zpswfycpfvg.png

Genre: Vertical Shoot 'Em Up / Bullet Hell
Players: 1
Size: 264 MEGS
Released on: MVS, AES, DC

Brief Description:

Neo XYX (pronounced Neo Zaikusu) is a vertical scrolling shooter arcade game by homebrew developers NG:DEV.TEAM. In fact it is the first game designed for NeoGeo hardware to offer a true vertical scrolling screen (Tate Mode). Alternatively the game offers the option to tilt the screen into horizontal (Yoko Mode). The score system is based on medal chaining and a mild rank system, Bombs are build by collecting powerups. The player takes on six stages with varied and colorful settings, six endbosses, and five midbosses.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_196/neoxyx_02_zpsy8c8esnk.pngwww.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_196/neoxyx_04_zpsisswxh8p.png
www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_196/neoxyx_01_zpswne1cimh.pngwww.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_196/neoxyx_00_zpswusk0kqp.png

Official Website:

www.neoxyx.ngdevteam.com

Reviews:

Neo XYX review by Retro Gamer Team
Neo XYX review by Chris Carter
lNeo XYX review by Sonic Yoda

Videos:

YouTube Video

High Score Challenge:

Was anyone of you able to get your hands on the DC disc? Or even the wickedly expensive Neo Geo cart? So how about a High Score Challenge? If you're interested so please send a PM to Merlin or Priest.

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->
#2 Nam 1975 -->
#3 Pulstar -->
#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->
#5 Blues Journey -->
#6 Fatal Fury -->
#7 Shock Troopers -->
#8 Sengoku -->
#9 Ninja Commando -->
#10 Ninja Master's -->
#11 Crystalis -->
#12 Thrash Rally -->
#13 Art of Fighting -->
#14 Waku Waku 7 -->
#15 Andro Dunos -->
#16 The King of Fighters '94 -->
#17 Nightmare in the Dark -->
#18 Twinkle Star Sprites -->
#19 Zupapa -->
#20 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->
#21 The Last Blade -->
#22 Crossed Swords -->
#23 Cyber Lip -->
#24 Samurai Shodown -->
#25 King of the Monsters -->
#26 The King of Fighters '95 -->
#27 Fatal Fury 2 -->
#28 Aero Fighters 2 -->
#29 Neo Bomberman -->
#30 Metal Slug -->
#31 Kabuki Klash -->
#32 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->
#33 Mutation Nation -->
#34 Blazing Star -->
#35 World Heroes -->
#36 King of Fighters '96 -->
#37 Neo Drift Out -->
#38 Magical Drop 2 -->
#39 Top Hunter -->
#40 Savage Reign -->
#41 Metal Slug 2/X -->
#42 Alpha Mission 2 -->
#43 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->
#44 Art of Fighting 2 -->
#45 Super Sidekicks -->
#46 Sengoku 2 -->
#47 Metal Slug 3 -->
#48 Burning Fight -->
#49 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->
#50 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->
#51 King of Monsters 2 -->
#52 Samurai Shodown 2 -->
#53 World Heroes 2 -->
#54 Last Resort -->
#55 Rage of the Dragons -->
#56 League Bowling -->
#57 Metal Slug 4 -->
#58 Legend of Sucess Joe -->
#59 Puzzle Bobble -->
#60 Pochi and Nyaa -->
#61 Robo Army -->
#62 Captain Tomaday -->
#63 Metal Slug 5 -->
#64 King of Fighters '97 -->
#65 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->
#66 The Super Spy -->
#67 Strikers 1945 Plus -->
#68 Ghost Pilots -->
#69 Iron Tank -->
#70 Magical Drop 3-->
#71 Fatal Fury 3 -->
#72 Art of Fighting 3 -->
#73 Viewpoint -->
#74 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->
#75 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->
#76 Beast Busters -->
#77 Shock Troopers 2 -->
#78 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->
#79 Ninja Combat -->
#80 Neo Turf Masters -->
#81 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->
#82 Bubble Bobble 2 -->
#83 King of Fighters '98 -->
#84 Wind Jammers -->
#85 Samurai Shodown III -->
#86 Puzzle de Pon/R -->
#87 Eight Man -->
#88 Street Hoops -->
#89 Galaxy Fight -->
#90 World Heroes Perfect -->
#91 SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom -->
#92 Prehistoric Isle 2 -->
#93 Metal Slug: 1st Mission -->
#94 Real Bout Fatal Fury Special -->
#95 KOF Sky Stage -->
#96 Sengoku 3 -->
#97 Ghostlop -->
#98 Matrimelee -->
#99 Ironclad -->
#100 NeoGeo Battle Coliseum -->
#101 Super Dodge Ball -->
#102 King of Fighters '99 -->
#103 Overtop -->
#104 Samurai Shodown IV-->
#105 Neo Mr. Do! -->
#106 Last Hope/Last Hope: Pink Bullets -->
#107 Pop 'N Bounce -->
#108 Crossed Swords II -->
#109 SNK Gals Fighters -->
#110 The Last Blade 2 -->
#111 Spinmaster -->
#112 Bermuda Triangle -->
#113 Super Sidekicks 2 -->
#114 Zed Blade/Operation Ragnar�k -->
#115 SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash -->
#116 The King of Fighters 2000 -->
#117 The Irritating Maze -->
#118 Buriki One -->
#119 Power Spikes 2 -->
#120 S.A.R. - Search and Rescue -->
#121 3 Count Bout -->
#122 Riding Hero -->
#123 Dark Arms: Beast Buster -->
#124 Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 -->
#125 The King of Fighters: Kyo -->
#126 World Heroes 2 Jet -->
#127 Bang Bang Busters -->
#128 Top Player's Golf -->
#129 Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite -->
#130 Metal Slug: 2nd Mission -->
#131 Double Dragon -->
#132 Fight Fever -->
#133 Super Sidekicks 3 / NeoGeo Cup '98 -->
#134 Baseball Stars 2 -->
#135 Football Frenzy -->
#136 Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3 -->
#137 Samurai Shodown V -->
#138 The King of Fighters R1/R2 -->
#139 Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer -->
#140 Samurai Shodown RPG -->
#141 Fast Striker -->
#142 The King of Fighters 2001 -->
#143 Stakes Winner -->
#144 Guerrilla War -->
#145 Battle Flip Shot / Bang Bead -->
#146 Ragnagard -->
#147 Dive Alert -->
#148 Gururin -->
#149 Kizuna Encounter -->
#150 Garou: Mark of the Wolves -->
#151 Soccer Brawl -->
#152 Gang Wars -->
#153 Metal Slug Advance -->
#154 Samurai Shodown 64 / Warriors Rage -->
#155 Mechanized Attack -->
#156 Quiz King of Fighters -->
#157 The King of Fighters 2002 -->
#158 Ikari Warriors -->
#159 Sasuke vs. Commander -->
#160 Ozma Wars -->
#161 2020 Super Baseball -->
#162 Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams -->
#163 Treasure of the Caribbean -->
#164 Street Smart -->
#165 Puzzled -->
#166 P.O.W. - Prisoners of War -->
#167 Pleasure Goal / Futsal -->
#168 Athena: Awakening from Ordinary Life -->
#169 Faselei! -->
#170 Chopper I -->
#171 Stakes Winner 2 -->
#172 The King of Fighters EX: Neo Blood / Howling Blood -->
#173 Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition -->
#174 Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road -->
#175 The King of Fighters 2003 -->
#176 Cool Boarders Pocket -->
#177 Gunlord -->
#178 Marvin's Maze -->
#179 Pocket Tennis Color -->
#180 Metal Slug 6 -->
#181 Samurai Shodown! -->
#182 Capcom VS SNK: Millenium Fight 2000 -->
#183 Beast Busters: Second Nightmare -->
#184 The King of Fighters Neowave -->
#185 Rockman: Battle & Fighters -->
#186 In The Hunt -->
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

NeoStrayCat
Yay, more NG Dev titles, I'll probably check it out if I feel like it. The prototype thing though.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
mehguy
Are there any plans for a DC reprint?

Sensi
No, they aren't planning a reprint for DC anymore. Surprised to see how also the DC prices stepped up quite a bit for XYX. I'm afraid you have to buy from fora or (twice the original price) on Ebay. Still a lot cheaper then Neo Geo though. I have the AES version but didn't played it frequently enough to review it.

RiKo
Just my thoughts since I havent played it. I've always thought this looks pretty good. But I was put off by the narrow screen. Especially since I play on AES. Mars Matrix(DC,Arcade) showed you dont need a narrow screen to make a more modern kind of schmup work. But I guess the whole point of this game was to utilise the narrower screen.

Also I always go on about this - but NGDevTeam are such good technical coders. You can tell they really optimise and opimise their code, so no slowdown. This is a time consuming process and can be a lot of work so hats-off to them.

Negatives: There do seem to be a few ideas and assets reused from Fast Striker. Plus like a lot of NGDevTeam schmups the bosses are a little uninspiring overall. Also graphically the level design is a bit repetitive. But I guess this was made by a small team possibly with a single artist so hard to be critical.

Looks like a good but not spectacular schmup.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
Amazing game I am a huge fan, best shooter on NG & Dreamcast and the of the few Ive stuck with until I could finish on credits provided ( im not great on shumps).

Yes the freezing does happen about 1 in 4 times when playing and is often at same boss if you use smartbomb when he moves a certain pattern.

This game just struck as chord with me from day one and I would happily call it one of the best shooters ever. It just plays so smooth & the graphics are lovely. Was expecting Ghost Blade to be better but felt a bit let down.

The Hellwiggs have great games in them & I am surprised a bigger studio has not snapped them up as yes they say they do it for the love of it which is true but I am sure they are making money no doubt. Rumours are they are already millionaire's from other business ventures and make games as a hobby as few people make retro style games to that level of quality.

What they do need to do is hire part time distribution staff as their delivery system is awful,( people paying up front 2 years before game is due out then getting game after people who bought it few days before release ( happened to me and other NG4Ler)

But NEOXYX is shump bliss & could easily cut it as a commercial game

Sensi
Nice to see your love for the game STE. Most of the time players give it positive feedback but not so much like you haha. Do you think it's even more fun then the top shooters of the system?

NG.DEV should be given the benefit of the doubt in the future. They have made good games for the system, but the last one Kraut Buster wasn't the best choice they could made. If they keep their production limited, I can't imagine they can make their development team bigger. Or they should ask even more higher prices for their games (and it would even sell out I believe).

Looking at the first impressions, I'm glad I bought the game and looking forward to play it in the future.

RiKo
OK I have to eat my words a bit on this game. I'm loving it at the moment. It still does have the feeling of being made by a small team (which it was) - bare bones menu and continue screens, standard font used for text and highscore table, no win message on completion or even a proper credit scroll (although I'm, hoping on a 1CC finish there is something more). Even to switch between Tate, Yori and sidepod modes you have to press a button (A, B and C respectively) as the game soft resets - and then do that again after each Game Over, otherwise the game will revert back to it's default Yori mode. But that aside I love it.

This video below is a more up-to-date version than the video at the start of the thread and shows a bit better how the game works on a vertical TV/monitor. Go to 3.00 for game start in TATE mode.

YouTube Video

I'm not a proper arcade guy and just play on my AES and TV. Here's a pic of my TV in a makeshift vertical positon. I've leaned it against the window sill and managed to scratch the wooden table Smile

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/20160131_002921bb_zpst1fuscz5.jpg

The bosses really look huge in Tate mode, and despite my previous whining about it, when you play Tate mode, it is pretty awesome.

It's obvious that this game was meant to be played vertically but HORI mode is also quite playable. In that video above, the guy says it's near impossible compared to the Tate mode. I'm not sure why becasue I didn't find it any harder. But then I didn't play it for that long.

Going back to what STE said, I understand the Dreamcast version of Neo XYX is severely compromised (much worse than the DC version of Fast Striker)- control lag, and lots of weird game bugs, some game-breaking, some just frustrating. Which is real shame because the MVS/AES version is excellent. As far as I know, the only minor problem with it, is there are safe spots you can exploit on the demon boss (below) to make him a lot easier than he should be, which is unfortunate because he's probably the best looking boss in the game.

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/NeoBoss_zps2ls12efd.jpg

Also sometimes (it's rare) the bombs and end of level explosions have a bit of sprite flicker or tearing but no more than something like Blazing Star does (hardly ever) and you don't really notice. Plus even Blazing Star had a little slowdown and this doesn't

I'm not that keen on the side-pod mode, even as a beginner it feels like you destroy the enemies too quickly with those attached. However it's an extra mode which they didn't have to include and I suppose you can think of the pods like training-wheels, which you can use to learn the game while feeling a bit more protected.

So far I prefer this a little even to Fast Striker but it's early days and I may feel differently over time especially since Fast Striker has a lot more depth to it with the different modes.. I'm not sure if Neo XYX is a bullet hell schmup? I would say not but it's definitely 3/4 of the way there

TO sum up, great fun, great graphics, great control, great music, strong challenge, smooth as hell, small hit box and lots of bullets. Initial impressions : Very Good!

Sensi wrote :- Looking at the first impressions, I'm glad I bought the game and looking forward to play it in the future

Play it Sensi, I think you'll enjoy it Thumbs Up
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NEO-GEO man
I havent played it, but why oho why do they keep making their games single player???

2 player is where the fun is. The hard core shooter fans can still play alone if they want.

These games have been done to death, and there are loads out there just as good as this one.

Samuray
So I've finally been able to right my wrong (not buying this game when it came out) and I absolutely love "Neo XYX"....I think it's an excellent game with a gorgeous soundtrack!
Haven't finished it yet, though....don't want to experience everything at once. Smile

Anyway, I have a request and I'm not sure if I should have posted it in here or someplace else:
When I had the chance to get this I had to decide whether or not to pass it up because of the US cover artwork. All my other NG Dev Team games are Japanese and it doesn't look too great that this is the only US-style game between them. I ended up buying the game, hoping to find a solution to this later on.

At first I talked to NG Dev directly but of course, they don't have any materials left. They sounded really bummed they couldn't help me out.

So I am desperately looking for someone who owns "Neo XYX" for AES, Japanese artwork, and would be willing to make me a scan of the insert.
Or maybe wants to trade...the US insert is rarer, according to NG dev.

I would pay for the scan/ your troubles, of course. And don't worry, there are no sinister motives behind this....the game is copy-protected anyway.

If you can help me, or know someone who might be able to, please contact me via PM! Thanks!

merlin
If the US version is worth a bit more and considering some people prefer to collect English versions there's a good chance someone might want to swap with you Samuray. Would be worth mentioning it at neo-geo.com if you haven't already.

I've played Neo XYX in an arcade and was very impressed. Much prefer the graphics in this game compared to those in Fast Striker. Very nice music too. I'd say out of the NG Dev Team games I've played, this is my favourite.

Samuray
Thanks for the idea, merlin!
I've been pondering to ask there for the scan but this might be a better approach. Then again....I guess most people who bought the game initially probably picked the version they wanted anyway. But who knows....maybe there's another case like mine, just in reverse.

I haven't asked yet because....you know, it's a tough crowd over there. I'll have to prepare for all kinds of crap to be flung at me so I need to be in a good place mentally before daring to go there. Smile

But thanks again!

merlin
I know what you mean about neo-geo.com! It can be a scary place.

Hope you can find a solution.

Jump to Forum: