Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: mehguy
Thread ID: 5269
Thread Info
There are 10 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 1768 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My quest of building a supergun
mehguy
Hi! I've been always wanting to get into the neo scene for awhile. So now I have the chance. I've done tons of research and concluded that building a supergun and getting a 1 slot mvs board will be the best and cheapest way to get into the neo for me. Does anyone have any type of supergun experience here that is willing to share some advice and is it tough to build a supergun? I believe I understand how to build one and seems quite simple and straight forward.

-SD-
I've made a few Superguns in my time. In fact my first Neo Geo was a consolized MV-1C I built.

If you're only planning on using it for Neo Geo I'd suggest just consolizing a 2-slot MV-2F/FS board. These boards are the best for a few reasons:
- Sturdy metal casing that can be easily painted and jazzed up to look decent
- Socketed BIOS makes for easy UniBIOS replacement
- Built in controller ports which saves on an insane amount of soldering and swearing
- System can be modded to run off a single 5v PSU

So essentially all you need to do is wire up the power and video/audio. Depending on where you are in the world and the display you're planning to use will determine if you need an NTSC video encoder or direct RGB out.

Obviously an actual Supergun is more flexible and will allow the use of multiple arcade PCBs, but I think this is a good starting point for your first project.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

mehguy
Thanks for the input. But I honestly would prefer building a supergun over a consolized neo geo. I live in CANADA. Which means we have NTSC. So I found this item called a CGA to VGA signal that is able to convert an arcade video signal to VGA. I've been seeing a bunch of these show up on ebay and aliexpress. Have you tried one of these?
http://www.aliexp...eb201560_6

vas
Google vogatek or super gun pcb that's probably the cheapest and easiest thing for jamma / super gun game hookups I have one is too easy

mehguy
vas wrote:

Google vogatek or super gun pcb that's probably the cheapest and easiest thing for jamma / super gun game hookups I have one is too easy

Where's the fun in that? Smile

vas
mehguy wrote:

vas wrote:

Where's the fun in that? Smile

Hack it to your need's make a nice slim case etc but hey mines just rag O on the floor it's also small. If u just doing neogeo it's a good solution keeps the mvs board unmodified too.

There are many option out there i just feel its a good sensible one

-SD-
Those Gonbes GBS-82XX scalers are ok on smaller screens I suppose, especially if you use a scan-line generator to hide some of the artifacts and ringing. Just don't expect XRGB Mini levels of performance. The GBS has at least a couple of frames of lag from processing, and it doesn't handle 240p quite correctly. But it is the cheapest solution to get reasonable VGA from an arcade PCB.

mehguy
Is -5 volts required for neo geo boards?

-SD-
Nope. I've never come across a board that did require it, but then I've never had the hugest PCB collection. It's not required for the more popular arcade systems like MVS, PGM or CPS2.

mehguy
The hardest decision I have about my supergun is the enclosure. I like something thats has to do with retro tech. I've even been thinking of using some VCR. But that wouldnt look very nice lol. Any ideas?

Jump to Forum: