Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: chojin
Thread ID: 5247
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3139 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Conversions
chojin
Hi guys,

Being new here i wasn't sure if this is the right place to ask but I hope so.
I have been quite careful with conversions so far but some evil power made me bid on this Ninja Masters - I didn't pay it yet though.
On the second view it just looks like a conversion to me - but I would love to hear your opinion:

http://page22.auc...l299718495

Henke
Always hard to tell from bad photos, but yes, the cart label does look pretty bad. It's too dark and glossy like some other conversions I've seen. But it could of course still be original with just a really bad photo.

I wouldn't buy it without seeing better photos first. The label shouldn't reflect that much.

I'm no expert, pretty new to Neo Geo collecting so it would be great if someone else could give their opinion too.

vas
Well the insert on the case isn't a great fit it may be a reprint, but as Henke said they are bad photos but the insert do look sort of legit to me the rear has a sort of washed out look that most neo art has.

But the cart label is dark too. The Only way to tell if I am honest is from opening the cart up and as I don't read Japanese that's all I can go by.

Contact the seller and ask for better pictures or ask him if it's a conversion if he says no and you find out it is. You can put a claim against it and will have emails showing you been mislead into buy a fake game as a legit one.

The reason I never collected aes is because of thease situations high prices is heaven for boot/conversion makers.

RiKo
Like Vas says the insert doesn't fit very well and there's no manual? (a lot of early conversions didn't come with manuals) Looks a bit suspicious but no real way to tell from photos. Some conversions can look pretty much perfect. I agree with Vas - ask him then you have a comeback if it does turn out to be one.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
chojin
Thanks a lot for your comments!!
I send the guy a couple of zoom-ups which I thought were suspicious and asked him to send me better pictures and possibly pictures from inside the cartridge.
He didn't reply yet but told me I would et a bad review if I cancel the auction.

Well - I don't really care compared to wasting this money AND a review that he sells conversions as originals probably hurts him more Wink

vas
Well if that's his attitude, reply saying if it turns out to be fake I will give a also bad detailed review and report you to yahoo actions as a fraudulent seller .

If he is not wiling to ease your mind of a purchase maybe he knows somthing isn't 100% . Just try and cover the bases as much as possible

chojin
Yeah - I will see where this goes. Should be more careful in future though.
Thanks a lot vas

-SD-
While we're on the subject of conversions, has anyone ever dealt with http://www.snkcol... ? Are they actual MVS conversions, or sailing the seven seas?

You'd be amazed what you can find on aliexpress too if you search for 'Neo Geo AES'...
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

chojin
its really shocking how "good" the conversions look...

vas
Thing to remember is a real neo cart died to make them . And again not worth more than £40-£50 notes. I will never support this new trend to add some sort of legitimacy to conversion especially the inflated price tags.

I am not against them either but to even considering holding any value to the real McCoy is a insult to snk and all the dev who payed for there license.

A boot leg is a bootleg a conversion is also a bootleg.

ChoJin , please be aware that a good printed insert and a box do not mean it's a quality conversion. Only way to tell if quality work was done is opening the cart checking every solder point and then dumping the rom and checking it against mame dumps, only then can you verify the quality of rom on chips and work in getting the chip on the board.
Edited by vas on 04. November 2015 09:54

STE C
That site is very interesting, is obviously a pirate site selling roms but I must admit they look great & fancy a few titles they have. Gotta try that Yie Ar Kung Fu conversion on Meagadrive

vas
STE-C

I just learned how easy Megadrive and snes repos are to make. The mega drive is super easy just 1 chip to flash or dump. You can even buy boards and cases so no need for a donar cart to die but there a lot of sports titles that are worth killing madden series comes to mind. Snes is trickier.

I will probably get a programmer soon to do this maybe a pressie off the Mrs for Grin for Christmas. I am done with video game collecting now, the chase isn't worth it anymore as prices rise, especially when I can just make my own games literally.

If the appeal for said game above is too much buy it, but if you hold out until I get the programmer board I will make you one for free.

NGAES
Now the Aliexpress are putting out bootleg carts this thing will spread like a plague. I'm ok with conversions as long as all cards are on the table.

vas
Indeed ngaes if you know its not a genuine game that's fine I am all cool with that. Price should reflect that also in my opinion.

NEO-GEO man
vas wrote:

Thing to remember is a real neo cart died to make them . And again not worth more than £40-£50 notes. I will never support this new trend to add some sort of legitimacy to conversion especially the inflated price tags.

I am not against them either but to even considering holding any value to the real McCoy is a insult to snk and all the dev who payed for there license.

A boot leg is a bootleg a conversion is also a bootleg.

ChoJin , please be aware that a good printed insert and a box do not mean it's a quality conversion. Only way to tell if quality work was done is opening the cart checking every solder point and then dumping the rom and checking it against mame dumps, only then can you verify the quality of rom on chips and work in getting the chip on the board.

No real need to check the ROMs against the MAME dumps, if it works itll be the same, if anything is different itll be obvious enough from the boards used, such as a bootleg of a game using larger V or C-ROMs, and any encrypted ROM.

Sensi
Guys, I came across this auction:

http://www.ebay.c...Sw44BYC1TN

I'm not interested in buying the game but I'm pretty sure the game never got released on AES. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I will send the seller a 'friendly' mail to publish the question/remark he should sell it as a conversion. I hate it when people are deceived, especially when selling (expensive) Neo Geo stuff.
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg

merlin
Yes you are right. Puzzle Bobble 2 wasn't released for the home system. The neo-geo.com master list is useful if you ever want to check which formats a game was released on.

http://www.neo-ge...erlist.htm

I agree. A seller should definitely mention that it's a conversion in the description.

Jump to Forum: