Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 5245
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3834 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What Are The Greatest Isometric Games?
RiKo
What Are The Best Isometric Games?

I haven't played that many but my choices are:

1. Viewpoint (Neo Geo) - Not being biased at all here but this really is my favourite. A big achievement to make a great schmup let alone one with an isometric viewpoint but SNK pulled it off. Great music too!
www.oldiesrising.com/images_testsv3/SNK%20Neo%20Geo/Viewpoint/Viewpoint9.jpg

2. Populous (Amiga) this was amazing at the time with a lot of depth and it's still a great game. Almost got a Neo Geo conversion which is strange considering it's not really an arcade game.
www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/560411-populous-amiga-screenshot-icy-waste-land.png

3. Head Over Heels (Spectrum). You start off playing seperately as Head (Can jump high and shoot) and Heels (Can run fast). When you manage to get Head and Heels together they combine their abilities.
i11c.3djuegos.com/juegos/670/head_over_heels/fotos/set/head_over_heels-1513511.jpg

4. Marble Madness (Arcade, Amiga) Very charming unique game. Great in 2 player mode too.
1.bp.blogspot.com/-VlWfNE9_33A/T2OWVHHo50I/AAAAAAAAARQ/tIIsgrSBiW4/s1600/mmmd1.png

5. Paper boy (Arcade) Great fun to trash non-subscriber's houses!

071bc3d04e2671665c74-5a267f839fbe60d0845a37698418bb02.r26.cf5.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/paperboy-on-xbox-live-arcade.jpg
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Viewpoint is excellent RiKo I agree. I used to play the NES version of Marble Madness a lot and enjoyed that.

The isometric game which impresses me the most though is definitely Solstice on NES. Absolutely love that game and put a lot of hours into it. Really like the music too. Quite a tough game and can be frustrating but very satisfying when you start to figure things out and make progress. I've still never played the SNES sequel Equinox.

YouTube Video

cthulhu
Landstalker for the Megadrive is awesome.

www.segagagadomain.com/megadrive/landstalker-cover.jpg

Not quite that good, but I think The Immortal for the Megadrive is still a lot of fun.

www.theoldcomputer.com/game-box-art-covers/Sega/Megadrive-Genesis/I/Immortal,%20The%20%282%29.jpg
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Murikov
Since I grew up with dozens of RTS titles I always loved isometric video games - I sincerely hope there will be more to come in the future. See STASIS for example. And Viewpoint rocks hard on our Neo Geo, no question. If it only wasn't so ridiculously difficult...

My top 3 so far (without getting into discussions about trimetric and isometric):

1. Jagged Alliance 2 (PC)

Definitely the holy cow of tactical turn-based strategy games. Extremely immersive world with interactional characters and addictive gameplay. Since every playthrough with different mercenaries is absolutely unique, this game has a high replay factor. One of the very few Canadian video games I happen to know...

macgateway.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Jagged-Alliance-2-Sir-Tech.jpg

2. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (PC)

Only slightly better than Red Alert 2. My very first and probably most influential RTS I've ever played. Still stands out as one of the series' best. Outdated graphics for its time, but great story and live action cutscens, a rad soundtrack, crazy units and a unique post-apocalyptic atmosphere. Absolute Gold.

vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/cnc/images/3/36/Tiberian_Sun_Beta_Picture_12.jpg

3. Fallout 2 (PC)

Since the unbelievable hype about Fallout 3, New Vegas and soon the fourth, pretty much everyone has at least heard of the series. But Fallout 2 still gets the cookie. Challenging gameplay, great story, a immersive stats system and pure cult. Not such a good combat system as in Jagged Alliance 2 though.

images9.gry-online.pl/galeria/galeria_duze3/137584953.jpg
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

vas
I am going out of a limb here and saying Rugby World Cup 1995 best Isometric game.
s1.dmcdn.net/BEIlI/x240-Gg8.jpg

Vas runs and hides from a hail of bricks

RiKo
Merlin wrote:- The isometric game which impresses me the most though is definitely Solstice on NES.

I watched a video of it just now, it looks good. I do actually have the sequel on SNES but I got stuck pretty quickly and gave up! I should try again. The guy who wrote Equinox follows me on Twitter. He's my most famous follower Smile He only follows me beacuse I followed him but hey.... He also wrote Plok! which is also pretty good but not isometric.

@Ctulhu - I've heard Landstalker is good and I wanted to buy The Immortal when I had an Amiga. I remember reviewers getting excited over the number of gruesome ways you could die in it.

@Murikov - I needed someone to come up with some good PC isometric games and you've pulled through.Clap I'm a big fan of the original C & C so Tiberian Sun really appeals especially. Thumbs Up Have you ever played Diablo? I've always wanted to try that,

Vas wrote:- I am going out of a limb here and saying Rugby World Cup 1995 best Isometric game.

haha well I've never actually heard of that game so I can't say but the early FIFA's were isometric too. It could have some competition Smile

Murikov
RiKo wrote:
I needed someone to come up with some good PC isometric games and you've pulled through. I'm a big fan of the original C & C so Tiberian Sun really appeals especially. Have you ever played Diablo? I've always wanted to try that.

Hey Riko! Interestingly EA decided a few years ago to give away Tiberian Sun for free on the official website, probably because they didn't want to make profit of it anymore. The old official download link is down, but it can still be downloaded over websites that mirrored the original file back then, see here at Game Engine for more info. Tiberian Sun still works on modern systems (I tested it with Windows 7) and with a bit of twerking around with the config files it even supports widescreen resolutions like 1920x1080.

If you enjoyed Tiberium Dawn / the first C&C, you will definitely love TS. It's not only a better designed game, it also seamlessly continues the story about Kane and the Tiberium crisis. Even James Earl Jones and Michael Biehn got important live action roles during the cutscenes.

As for Diablo, I especially played the second one which I enjoyed very much as well. It's a great improvement over the already good predecessor and the immense hype about the series is quite frankly justified. It only annoys me that Blizzard milks the franchise (even the older games) to the maximum and to the point of impudence. Otherwise I recommend it! Thumbs Up
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

cthulhu
Forgot Snake Rattle N Roll for the NES...amazing game!
My arcade stuff

Henke
Dark Savior is another great game by Climax. Those who liked Landstalker should look this up.

One of the most interesting features is that you play one of five scenarios, depending on how well you do in the first part of the game. The main story and the world is always the same but the scenarios differs heavily from each other in some ways, like who's the real bad guys etc.

Very interesting story which isn't all that jrpg-cute (well, you're still like 17 years old and has to save the world from evil) and great replay value thanks to the different scenarios. It's worth the time to play them all. It's pretty short, maybe 25 hours to clear all scenarios.

img.gamefaqs.net/screens/b/b/5/gfs_41971_2_1_mid.jpg

img.gamefaqs.net/screens/e/f/a/gfs_41971_2_4_mid.jpg

cthulhu
I have Dark Savior lying around somewhere...haven't played it yet, but I will when I get around to fixing up the attic.
My arcade stuff

Henke
What about Zaxxon?

This must be one of the oldest isometric shooters if not the first one?

I haven't played the arcade original myself, so I don't know if it's still good, but I've tried the SG-1000 port and it was fun for a while at least.

Fantastic artwork anyway:

arcade-gear.com/Games/Zaxxon/Zaxxon_Logo_2_a.gif
www.arcade-gear.com/Games/Zaxxon/Zaxxon_Art_01_a.jpg

RiKo
Murikov wrote :- If you enjoyed Tiberium Dawn / the first C&C, you will definitely love TS. It's not only a better designed game, it also seamlessly continues the story about Kane and the Tiberium crisis. Even James Earl Jones and Michael Biehn got important live action roles during the cutscenes.

I liked the live action bits in the original C + C. They were quite funny. I will definitely try Tiberian Sun. Actually I did get the C&C that came out on 360 much later but I literally have never got round to playing it. I should dig that out too.

Henke wrote:- What about Zaxxon?

This must be one of the oldest isometric shooters if not the first one?

I used to like Zaxxon in the arcade, I decided at one point it was going to be 'my game' but then promptly died about 6 times by misjudging my height and flying into walls. It's a good game but tricky because you have to alter your altitude. I think you could be right Henke about it being the first isometric shooter Thumbs Up

1983parrothead
Isolated Warrior, known in Japan as Max Warrior: Wakusei Kaigenrei.

-SD-
Viewpoint, Snake, Rattle n' Roll and the R.C./Champion Pro-Am series.

I've never played Solstice or Equinox unfortunately.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO‚ÄĘGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

green beret
Murikov wrote:

RiKo wrote:
I needed someone to come up with some good PC isometric games and you've pulled through. I'm a big fan of the original C & C so Tiberian Sun really appeals especially. Have you ever played Diablo? I've always wanted to try that.

Hey Riko! Interestingly EA decided a few years ago to give away Tiberian Sun for free on the official website, probably because they didn't want to make profit of it anymore. The old official download link is down, but it can still be downloaded over websites that mirrored the original file back then, see here at Game Engine for more info. Tiberian Sun still works on modern systems (I tested it with Windows 7) and with a bit of twerking around with the config files it even supports widescreen resolutions like 1920x1080.

If you enjoyed Tiberium Dawn / the first C&C, you will definitely love TS. It's not only a better designed game, it also seamlessly continues the story about Kane and the Tiberium crisis. Even James Earl Jones and Michael Biehn got important live action roles during the cutscenes.

As for Diablo, I especially played the second one which I enjoyed very much as well. It's a great improvement over the already good predecessor and the immense hype about the series is quite frankly justified. It only annoys me that Blizzard milks the franchise (even the older games) to the maximum and to the point of impudence. Otherwise I recommend it! Thumbs Up

You guys have forgotten entirely the C&C Red Alert series! Especially Red Alert and Red Alert 2 with their expansions! You guys must learn to behave yourselves!
C&C 3 Tiberium Wars and expansion
Command &Conquer Generals & Zero Hour.
Then we have Warcraft 2 & 3, Starcraft 1&2.
Heroes of Maight & Magic 3, 4, 5, 6
Warhammer 40.000 Dawn of War with so many tribes and Expansions!
Civilization 3, 4, 5
Supreme Commander and expansion
Company of Heroes
Star Wars empire at War
Act of War & expansion

Please forgive me if I forgot any....

Murikov
green beret wrote:
You guys have forgotten entirely the C&C Red Alert series! Especially Red Alert and Red Alert 2 with their expansions! You guys must learn to behave yourselves!

No worries, Yuri's Revenge comes right after Tiberian Sun on the list of my favorite C&Cs. Thumbs Up My nickname actually comes from the online days back then with RA2... Wink

It's a real shame Westwood Studios don't exist anymore, even though I've had fun with Generals too. But so far the series legacy isn't getting really better if you ask me...

Another honorable RTS series I'd like to mention is the Sudden Strike trilogy. Especially the second one with all its mods, custom maps and add-ons sticks out most. Incredible atmosphere, authentic sound, lots of units and interesting unit-management with limited ammo, morale or radius of view... I enjoyed this much more than the Blitzkrieg series!

media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/8/7705/63884.jpg
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

green beret
Viewpoint is a pretty game but way difficult. I had it on the AES and with 4 credits I could just go until there crab boss.
Murikov wrote:

green beret wrote:

No worries, Yuri's Revenge comes right after Tiberian Sun on the list of my favorite C&Cs. Thumbs Up My nickname actually comes from the online days back then with RA2... Wink

It's a real shame Westwood Studios don't exist anymore, even though I've had fun with Generals too. But so far the series legacy isn't getting really better if you ask me...

Another honorable RTS series I'd like to mention is the Sudden Strike trilogy. Especially the second one with all its mods, custom maps and add-ons sticks out most. Incredible atmosphere, authentic sound, lots of units and interesting unitro-management with ammo, morale or radius of view... I enjoyed this much more than the Blitzkrieg series

I missed Sudden Strike! I have never heard of it!!! lol
Have you heard Act of War direct action?

Now about Yuri's revenge I have to say it is a totally awesome game! Do you remember the five minutes during installation the screens the game was showing with the new units you could control? It blew me away! AWESOME
I do have a sealed copy of Yuri's Revenge and also I have almost all of C&C games in original physical form without any scratches on the disks.
Edited by green beret on 14. November 2015 20:36

Jump to Forum: