is the new champion in
Donkey Kong with 24900 points
Donkey Kong
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points

Thread Author: NGAES
Thread ID: 5238
Thread Info
There are 11 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2500 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Underrated games..?
Surely this has been discussed before but why not pick it up again?
Often when reading reviews it's a common that you might get a wrong idea about a game and it's often based on some review or "common knowledge". You might not even spend more than a few credits before going - baaah..

Which Neo games do you feel are underrated? They might lack in some respects, in the graphics department or whatever, but still, a good gaming experience.

So, whatcha think?
Nam, Riding Heroes, Cyber Lip, Sengoku, Eight Man, Mutation Nation, Street Hoop, Battle Flip Shot
Power Spikes 2... LOL

Seriously, particularly King of Fighters 2001 and Zed Blade are quite fine games that often get the shorter end of the stick. Back in the past both were critically crushed because of their bland graphics or rather unorthodox soundtrack, but they do please me every now and then.
Superside kicks I feel are underrated games, as 2d football games historically don't age well but this game really even now provides the same fun i had when i first played it... If fact it was first time I played a Neogeo cab we didn't have big reds in uk I am sure ours were black. But yeah Supersidekicks with a buddy is awsome
I agree with Murikov - Zedblade is a lot better than people generally think but not at the same level as the best Neo Geo schmups. I also like the techno soundtrack in the context of the game.

I think Burning Fight is a little underrated - not that it's a great game but it has a lot of variety which some of the other beat-em-ups on the Neo Geo don't have. It tends to just get written off as a Final Fight rip-off.

Also the classic one is Breakers/Breakers Revenge. Most people here know they are great games of course but it's not a game that gets mentioned straight away when you think of Neo Geo if you are not in the scene.

Also Alpha Mission II which takes a bit if time to get used to - esp the over-complicated power-up system. When you do though - it's pretty good Thumbs Up
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched :
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games :
Savage Reign and Fighters History Dynamite are a lot of fun in my opinion .
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
Agreed on Burning Fight. Really tried Zed Blade many times, but never clicked with it.
I also have to say Last Hope : Pink Bullets. People tend to not know a lot about it. It didn't just add pink bullets, it changed the scoring system and the gameplay mechanics were tweaked too. I really like it, the bosses still could have been better though!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched :
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games :
RiKo wrote:

I also have to say Last Hope : Pink Bullets. People tend to not know a lot about it. It didn't just add pink bullets, it changed the scoring system and the gameplay mechanics were tweaked too. I really like it, the bosses still could have been better though!

I have the dreamcast version , not a big fan of it if i am honest but i am a big dc fan so if someone makes a new game i'll buy it sad but true :(
I'd say Neo Mr Do is underrated. Seems like people rarely talk about it. I guess it's because it's MVS only and quite expensive. Simple gameplay but very fun and addictive. Really like the graphics and music.

Agree with Murikov and RiKo about Zed Blade. Very good shooter. Definitely underrated. I like how you can configure your weapons at the start and the music is great.

Also agree with Cthulhu about Savage Reign. The most underrated fighter on the system I'd say. I think people don't give this game a chance because they are put off by negative opinions they read and also by the character designs. Give it a chance and you can have a lot of fun with this game. The plane system is a bit different from the Fatal Fury games. You can hit the opponent with objects in some stages and there are quite a few moves you can use to attack opponents in a different plane. Also you can throw your weapon short or long distances. Background stages look very nice and the final boss battle is memorable. I can understand people not liking some of the characters but they do grow on you. I even like Joker now! Mezu and Hayate are my favourites though.
Xian Xi
I never cared for Savage Reign but I love Kizuna even though they are kinda the same. Probably why I prefer MD3 over MD2. I also enjoy Street Hoop and if there was a way to hack Football Frenzy to have them move faster it would be very playable.
Jamma Nation X
JNX Lazy Finger Rapid Fire Device for Neogeo and Superguns, On sale now!!
Jump to Forum: