Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Chiba3010
Thread ID: 4988
Thread Info
There are 15 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3227 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Market inflation mayhem
Chiba3010
It continues getting harder and harder to be an active AES collector. I had to take a break from purchasing AES games for a while and even now my finances only allow the occasional addition. Problem is, prices continue to skyrocket ridiculously to the point that even games I once considered expensive but potential "once a year" purchases at around $400-500 have jumped up several hundred dollars in less than a year, putting them out of range for the foreseeable future. It's such a bummer.
At their current market prices, who knows when I'll be able to add Wind Jammers, Matrimelee, Double Dragon or, hell, even Top Hunter to my AES library?:( It feels like I may have missed my window of opportunity to grab some of these before they became essentially cost-prohibitively expensive. I'm lucky to have the AES collection I've amassed to date but it sure is frustrating to feel like I'm nearing the cutoff point for any new additions.
Who else feels the AES title price-climb is reaching a personal financial impasse that may well jeopardize further collecting?
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
Yes, I highly doubt I will ever buy another AES title. Maybe the ones from the cheaper end, mainly . The market for Neo-Geo shit got ridiculously crazy these past few years, even for the MVS market. I'm both an AES and MVS collector, because I try to be pragmatic about my gaming expenses. As much as I love Pulstar, I will never pay $700+ to own it on AES, when I can play my MVS cart.

I'll probably buy some more MVS carts in the future, before MVS carts are also out of my price range. This will become a reality before we know it, mainly because of the mass-produced CMVS wave of 2014.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Chiba3010
Shame that MVS cart prices are headed in the same direction. I was lucky enough to snag a loose Pulstar AES cart for about $320 but that was nearly five years ago and there's no way in hell we'd see a price point like that today.
I'm considering going for an MVS/AES converter for my Neo but it's a bitter pill after I put so much into exclusive AES collecting. Even if I did go the MVS route, sounds like the clock is ticking on that market too.
You did touch on the silver lining that there are still a decent number of AES titles still selling at reasonable prices. Get 'em while you can! It just sucks that other great games are steadily slipping out of reach for all but the most fortunate of collectors who can afford carts going for $800+.

For Retro-Game collectors dedicated to systems like the Neo Geo, time has become the enemy most likely to discourage their pursuits. AES games were never "cheap" to begin with and market inflation has only made them even less accessable. The more that certain sellers realize consumer's options are becoming increasingly limited, the more will bank on desperation-fueled buyers who have nowhere else to go. Good for profit, bad for the community. It's a sad reality we have little choice but to accept and deal with accordingly.:(
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

mehguy
retro gaming in general is getting extremely expensive. It's ridiculous.

RiKo
I feel your pain Chiba. I notice that Neo Geo games were getting way too expensive a year or so back. When I started buying Neo Geo games it was not long after you could finally emulate the machine properly and it seemed to push the prices down for a while. I didn't know how lucky I was. Games like Nam and KOF95 cost nothing back then. I bought my Pulstar for half what you'd pay now. I always wanted Blazing Star but I gave up on that and bought a conversion in the end (Sorry!). It was just too expensive.

I find it hard to see the prices going down now - collectors buy multiple copies of games and it's unlikely they will ever sell for less than they paid. The Neo Geo is regarded as a in elite machine in retro-gaming circles and I think that and the low supply of games will keep prices high for a long time.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Sensi
We all know some prices have gone skyrocket, but what is the most important reason of this? The Internet?
When you go to a retro collector marketplace in real life nowadays, there are merchants selling consoles and games for steep/ridiculous prices.
Because people are paying for it to relive their childhood, in most cases they think these prices are 'normal'. At these marketplaces, there aren't many collectors anymore to sell their collection for friendly prices to other collectors. It counts for all the popular retro consoles (Turbo, SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64 etc.). Although I think Neo Geo stands on it's own, like it always did Wink

RiKo, I love your Ron Gilbert signature. One of my few heroes, I want a child of him Pfft
I backed up Thimbleweed Park with al these awesome extras. Can't wait!
Did you also backed it up?

cthulhu
Sensi wrote:

We all know some prices have gone skyrocket, but what is the most important reason of this? The Internet?

Ebay, the morons that think buying stuff at those prices is justified and general popularity of retro games.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Glowsquid

It's mostly a cyclical thing - people start getting nostalgic about the old stuff 2 generations after when they have disposable income. I remember reading Atari collectors complaining about how there was a price bubble around 2005 when people who had played the system as a child were "getting back" into it and driving up prices. Wankers like video game prices and VGA haven't helped one bit.

Incidently, better stock up on dem original xbox and PS2 games while the getting's good.

godzilla43
Glowsquid wrote:

It's mostly a cyclical thing - people start getting nostalgic about the old stuff 2 generations after when they have disposable income. I remember reading Atari collectors complaining about how there was a price bubble around 2005 when people who had played the system as a child were "getting back" into it and driving up prices. Wankers like video game prices and VGA haven't helped one bit.

Incidently, better stock up on dem original xbox and PS2 games while the getting's good.

I dont know. I think its more like 10years ago nobody cared for retrogames(nes,snes,sega,neogeo) and now they do. So snes games that was 5$ is now like 30$ and neo geo game which was 30$ is now over 100$. What i have understand is that Atari was like cyclical thing but those prices have come down cos those games are really basic. Starting from nes games are much more intresting even to gamers who have born in 2000's.
Also i dont think ps2/xbox collecting really gets that popular. Disc games just dont have that thing. Probably some uniq titles prices goes little bit higher but 10 years from now you can still buy Halo1 or GOW for under 10$. Also genesis game are still pretty cheap there are only couple more expesive games so platforms/games getting popular/pricey has lots of variables than just being old.
Edited by godzilla43 on 05. March 2015 09:37

RiKo
Yeah Xbox games and PS2 games in general unless they had really limited production runs will be worth nothing in future.

Sensi wrote :- RiKo, I love your Ron Gilbert signature. One of my few heroes, I want a child of him Pfft
I backed up Thimbleweed Park with al these awesome extras. Can't wait!
Did you also backed it up?

Thanks Sensi Thumbs Up I screenshotted that off his twitter account. I was a big fan of Monkey Islalnd back when I had my Amiga. I haven't got Thimbleweed Park I don't really play games for that long now so I tend to just play quick-fix aracde games rather than adventures. I always like to read interviews with him though because he's very opinionated.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
AES Prices have become a bit crazy these days. There are of course more and more people getting into collecting retro games. Sellers being greedy on ebay setting high buy-it-now prices also has an effect on increasing prices.

For people who are frustrated about AES prices I think buying an NGCD is an option worth considering. People might have heard horror stories about how terrible the loading times are but for many games they are very short. When there is a big difference in price between the NGCD and AES versions then why not put up with a little bit of loading time and save a significant amount of money. e.g. Metal Slug, Twinkle Star Sprites (awesome arranged soundtrack), Neo Turf Masters (has an extra course), Pulstar. There are also quite a few games which only have loading time at the very start so after that initial load it's just like playing the cartridge version e.g. Andro Dunos, Last Resort, Viewpoint.

godzilla43
My problem with NGCD is that it has less games than AES/MVS. It dosent have that many uniq titles.
If the NGCD would have all the same games than AES it would be more interesting but AES just have that NEO GEO thing with those huge cartridges, big controllers etc. NGCD just seems more logical Grin
Also i dont like having another system to take up space. I would be interested thou if someone would make a console that plays NGCD,TurboGrafx-16 and Sega CD games Smile
Edited by godzilla43 on 07. March 2015 19:08

mehguy
How long has retro game collecting been around for anyway?

merlin
I know what you mean about the appeal of the AES with it's huge carts Godzilla. Well worth owning both an AES and CD system though I think. The remixed soundtracks sound great. Worth buying a CD system just for Crossed Swords 2. Getting the games with long loading times in cart form like some of the fighters and games like Viewpoint, Last Resort, Pulstar in CD format seems like a good idea. I expect the prices of NGCD games will start getting a bit crazy too unfortunately.

I bought my first AES system in 1993 and all AES games were expensive back then including used games. People are lucky these days being able to buy classics such as AOF2, SS1, SS2, FF2, FFS, FF3 etc. for such low prices.

Sensi
Last week I started to archive my MVS purchase prices. Done with the superb program GameCollector, almost essential for collectors. Because I started collecting MVS games from 2012, it's very easy to seach back via email and the own memory. So now they're done, the AES ones are the next on the list.

In the zeros I started collecting AES and luckily these were in most cases bought on Ebay and paid via PayPal. Just browsed through the early PayPal history and I still can't believe for which prices I bought used AES games (in great condition). In not even 10 years, the prices has tripled (!). If you are interesed I can keep you updated and give some examples. But I'm still shocked how the market has gone crazy.
At the end of next week I will have registered most of the prices.

Jump to Forum: