Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 4840
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4853 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Your First Console and Favourite Games?
RiKo
Tell everyone what your first console (or computer) was? Why it was great? (if it was!) and what your favourite games were.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

intellivisionrevolution.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/intellivision-console-pic.jpg

Mine was an ex-rental Mattel Intellivision. Which seemed amazing at the time. I was a kid so I loved the controller overlays especially (see below)

www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/overlays/space/spacebattleO.jpg

Also since it was from the Atari 2600 era it had some very swish faux-wood side panels.

The controller could be painful to use but the directional disc worked in 16 directions so was much better than the standard 8. Also the Intellivision was the first true 16 bit console, since it had a 16 bit CPU. But in a way that just shows you how meaningless those definitions are.

I couldn't afford (any) games! (was reliant on my parents). We only had about 10, but my favourite single player games were:

1. Space Hawk

videogamecritic.com/images/intel/space_hawk.png

Played this the most, an Asteroids copy with bubbles instead of asteroids and 'Space Hawks' instead of the saucers.

2. Atlantis

www.scottdecker.com/video_games/intellivision_atlantis_screen_4.jpg

Superb version with controllable sentinel saucer included! (the Atari version didn't get the saucer)

3. Tutankamen

retrogamingtimes.com/rtm42/index_files/tutankhamintv.png

An arcade conversion although I didn't know it at the time. I've lost count of the times I've completed this.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
LIFE_IN_2D
My first "console" was a PC, in the 486 era.

I never had an actual home console until I was an adult. PC gaming in 90's was great, so many good and "so bad it's good" games.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

1983parrothead
As an Aspie, I can still remember as far back as when I was 3 or 4 when I first played my very first video game on my first video game console: Super Mario Bros. 1 on the NES. If you mean what are my favorite games on that console, then I have no idea. I keep looking at Summer Carnival '92: Recca, because it is as good as the best onion rings in Chattanooga, Tennessee, served at Ankar's Hoagies.

http://www.ankars...nline.com/

merlin
Good idea RiKo.

The first game console I owned was a Sega Master System and I really loved it. My SMS was the 'II' model with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in. I played that game constantly for months. Once I played it all night and the console stopped working and had to be sent away to be repaired! I really like how colourful SMS games are. Some of my other favourites were Aztec Adventure, Chase HQ, Ghost House, Golden Axe, The Ninja, Thunder Blade and Wonder Boy in Monster Land..

I currently have a Brazilian Tec Toy Master System which has games built in. It's a nice system but I'm thinking of buying a normal Master System again in the future.

cqmorrell
First console I ever played was an Atari 2600. It was actually my dad's, before it was given to me ... still got so many memories of playing that thing for hours on end. Smile

http://cqmorrell.deviantart.com
RiKo
Thanks for all the replies
Don't forget to tell everyone your favourite games, they don't have to be the best games ever made for the system, just the ones you liked best back then.

I like that you have an Atari cq, from the same era as the Intellivison. I was always a bit jealous of Atari owners because you could buy the games everywhere. Usually had to mail order for Intellivision here in Uk at that time:(

2D wrote :- My first "console" was a PC, in the 486 era.

Thats an impressively powerful first machine 2D Thumbs Up

parrothead wrote :- . I keep looking at Summer Carnival '92: Recca, because it is as good as the best onion rings in Chattanooga, Tennessee, served at Ankar's Hoagies

Must be good then!

Good idea RiKo. The first game console I owned was a Sega Master System and I really loved it. My SMS was the 'II' model with Alex Kidd in Miracle World built in. I played that game constantly for months.

Thanks Merlin, one day I want to play Alex Kidd. Sega's forgotten mascot:( My friend had a Master System with that snail game built in.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
My first console was my Dad's old Atari 2600. Back then the games I remember liking the best were Chopper Command, Yars' Revenge, and Adventure. Still fine games to this day, although now I know Chopper Command is pretty much a simplified version of Defender.

DarakuTenshi
My first console was the VCS as well. It was about 1980 or 81 and at such a young age I have very few memories at the beginning. My oldest memory of playing my VCS was Pac-Man. My brothers were away at school and I had not yet started school so I was at home playing games and on this specific day I passed the first maze in Pac-Man.

Outside of that as I got older other games that I have fond memories of were with:
Berzerk
Empire Strikes Back
Spiderman
Circus Atari

kakutou-meijin
My first console was a GB with Tetris (of course) and Burai Fighter Deluxe. Before that I usually played at my firends, but never owned anything. But with the GB the video game love started. Bought quite fast a NES afterswards, then MD, SNES, NGCD, PSX and so on.

Favorite games, phew, not easy to focus on some certain ones.

The games I played the longest were SFIII 3rd strike, Garou MOTW, Tekken 3, because I played them on a competetive level (but not a succesful one) and got obsessed with combos and match vids and all that stuff. Spending a several thousand hours with those games could mean automatically that they are one of my favorites Smile
I also love Samsho 2, FF3 and RBFF, Kabuki Klash, SFZ3, the KOF series. I didn't play them with such a focus as the above games, but I really loved them at the time when they were released and even today I have a lot of fun with them.

Also I really enjoyed Suikoden 1 and 2 when it comes to RPGs. Definitely the best ones I've ever played.

Plexo
Although it is more like a micro computer system rather than a videogame console, my first console was an Atari 800XL. My first games on that console were Gremlins, Pengo, Kangaroo, Pole Position, Hero and others. And my favorites on that console were AlleyCat and Archon.

DarakuTenshi
I still have my Atari 800XL in box and with the Tape Deck. I love that system.

Sensi
First console was Atari 2600, I think I was 3 or 4 when I began playing games. My dad had already bought some games for it.
Pac-Man, Missile Command, Space Invaders, The Smurfs, Soccer and Ice Hockey were the games I played the most, especially Pac-Man!
After all those years I realise I've been lucky with some serious classic education Smile

Keep them coming people, nice to know some background stories from fellow members.

Caluk61
My personal first console was the ''Super Nintendo''. Even after 50 years I can say that the snes is the best console ever, because I've grown up with it! My favourite games are: FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Secret Of Mana 1&2 and ofcourse the megaman X series

marktheshark
The 1st system that me & my brother played on was the N64. We got one on Christmas 1998. It was pretty much more or less my favorite system for many years. My mom was reluctant at first to get one since she thought it was too expensive. Some games I loved were Super Mario 64, Blast Corps, Turok 1 & 2, Zelda OOT, Mischief Makers, Goldeneye, F-Zero X, etc. Too bad the N64 & its games in general haven't aged very well though.

My first "personal" system, however, was the Super NES. I got one for $50 back in 2006 when I was 12 & I loved the system ever since. Some of my favorites on the system are Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Mega Man X, Pocky & Rocky, King of Demons, & Super Puyo Puyo 2 Remix.
www.theotaku.com/guru_results/2613_Wind.jpg

The eccentric cat
marktheshark wrote:
My first "personal" system, however, was the Super NES. I got one for $50 back in 2006 when I was 12 & I loved the system ever since. Some of my favorites on the system are Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Mega Man X, Pocky & Rocky, King of Demons, & Super Puyo Puyo 2 Remix.

I love Puyo Puyo! Really nice choices there.
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

-SD-
I got an NES for my 9th birthday shortly after my parents separated. I first encountered it a couple of months earlier round my friend Adrian's house and was totally blown away. So I ended up with the Action Set, the one with the zapper and Mario/Duck Hunt.

Snake, Rattle n' Roll was one of my favourite games. Never managed to complete it though and I didn't do any better with the Megadrive version a few years ago. I never managed to complete Castlevania either. R.C Pro AM was awesome although I don't think I actually owned it. I do remember my Mum taking offence to Rush n' Attack when I borrowed it off Adrian... it was unacceptably violent apparently. Hence why I ended up with Donkey Kong fucking Jr for a subsequent birthday.

I also remember having Mario 2 and 3, Rad Racer, Megaman 2, Bayou Billy, wrestling of some sort... and I'm not sure what else. It was quite a while ago for me.
As it turned out though, the Master System was more popular in general around my area. I had perhaps four or five friends with a NES but everyone else seemed to have a Sega. That was cool though as I got to experience a wider range of software than I would have if everyone had just gone with Nintendo.

One of the cool things about getting into gaming was discovering the early games magazines. Video game journalism was certainly a lot different back then! Mean Machines was the mag of choice and Jazza Rignal, Radion Automatic, Oz Browne and the crew were legendary. It was a shame when it got split into Mean Machines Sega and Nintendo Magazine System as it lost a lot of its charm. But at least we had Super Play as a more than worthy replacement.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO‚ÄĘGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

Jump to Forum: