Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: vas
Thread ID: 4814
Thread Info
There are 11 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2739 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Strictly vert
vas
I been getting really into vertical games since I modded my dreamcast over a year ago , since the dreamcast only has a limited number of games this hasn't really got me motivated to create a permeant vertical dreamcast setup, but then I tried the vert games mame uses I played a few before but now with an actually interest in vert games I really fell in love with a lot of titles not strictly shumps but a majority and I have decided a dedicated vertical display need a place in my future plans.

I have a 16:10 monitor TFT 19" monitor That i will be using , I have used this monitor before in vert position, it has a metal chassis and is very strong so I took the stand off re-drilled the holes and put it in a vertical position, but in my haste I stuck it on the wrong end and well the pic was upside down , so the plan is to de-case it and build a custom frame around it , this monitor is going to be strictly vert and totally custom shape hasn't been decided I want it to be a bit different any idea's shoot away .

So for the love of Tate games I created this thread for everyone to share setups tips must play games etc.

I will embarrass myself first and show you how I play Tate games and have for over a year it's not pretty its not high tech but it gets the job done.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/vasiliflame/th_imagejpg1_zps577719d5.jpg

merlin
Nice idea Vas. No reason to be embarrassed about your set up. I only have one widescreen in my house, a 32'' TV, and it's not practical to rotate it so I just play with black borders at the sides.

So which vertical shooters are you enjoying the most at the moment Vas?

I think you should give Varth another try! They don't get much better than that. Wink

I've been playing Battle Bakraid quite a lot recently. Fantastic game. I was trying to get a 1CC but just can't do it. I've got to stage 6 quite a few times but all those sub bosses are a bit much for me. I know experienced shoot 'em up players regard this as being one of the easier shooters out there but I don't find it that easy. There are a lot of shots on screen during the boss fights.

vas
I been mostly playing giga wing under defeat and dimahoo mainly because I have mame for my ipad , I sync my ps3 pad and can play vert straight away , ATM since I haven't got a arcade stick its quick can play anywhere in the house throw a few credits in off I go.

I will definitely load up varth see if that works too, I know it works on pc setup, any tips for varth as in power ups or score combo's?

Well it seems I have been playing varth but under a different name operation thunderstorm I have a hi score of 410901 recorded not sure how far I got ..
Edited by vas on 21. May 2014 23:40

merlin
Under Defeat is a fantastic game!

It's hard to say which weapons are best in Varth but I normally use the laser and homing missiles and find them very effective. I always select fixed pods since it gives you protection from most frontal attacks but quite a few people say it's better to use smart pods because the rank doesn't increase as quickly. When using fixed pods the enemy bullet speed gets quite fast quickly.

I just play for survival and don't put that much effort into scoring. There are a huge number of secret items you can pick up for bonus points though. Just keep shooting everywhere and you'll find where they're hidden. The most well known one is Ryu doing a shoryuken in stage 4! If you hit Ryu while he's doing his dragon punch you can get quite a few bonus items.

Some good info about the game:

http://1cclog.blo...storm.html

Here's a 1CC by someone using the same fixed pods/laser/homing missile combo I use.

YouTube Video

vas
Was playing varth last night, even with only touch screen controls got to end of stage 2 without putting in a credit , quite easy I think it was on default difficulty 4

So with proper controls I can see me getting much further on 1credit .

Took the bevel off the monitor to see how minimal I can get the bezel as you can see by the pic I can get it very slim hope to only add max 1mm to that edge.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/vasiliflame/imagejpg1_zps9de1bce7.jpg

cthulhu
Ah, vertical games. My most favorite genre of games besides Fighting games is Bullet Hell Shmups.
Nothing to be embarrassed about, your setup is a good start...I've seen worse. I'm fortunate to have space for two cabs (one horizontal and one vertical). Here's my vertical setup:

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b256/rot_in_pieces/_DSC0285.jpg

I also have built quite a nice collection of vertical Shmups over the last couple of years, all are Arcade PCBs and of most games home ports are available (or are emulated). The ones I love the most are colored red.

Armed Police Batrider B version
Cyvern: The Dragon Weapons
Dragon Blaze
Espgaluda
Espgaluda II
Esp Ra.De.
Guwange
Ibara
Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigoku Tachi~
Muchi Muchi Pork!
Mushihimesama
Mushihimesama Futari Version 1.5
Shikigami No Shiro
Trigon
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

vas
That's quite a collection you have they're, I love to have space for that lot , maybe a few select titles if I can in future probably cps1/2 stuff if I did as I never owned anybefore. I went on a poke'e'rom mission when I tried hyperspin but its a pain in ass to setup, I have a full mame romset and probably every system up the psx /Saturn era roms. But i would if I could afford it ,buy the original hardware/softwares, been in my new house for 6 months and still haven't touched the spare room that's going to mine and my sons game room, I love espuluga as well can not number 2 to work with mame , but I will try again.

@merlin been playing varth and I underestimated it with a wii pad I was getting owned hard lost my 1st credit after the 1st boss and after that I kept getting hit often the bullets are very hard to see .

Games room before still untouched but I have one first time in my entire life
img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/vasiliflame/imagejpg4_zpsbfaf1191.jpg

What I managed to save of quite a big collection of hardware/games
img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/vasiliflame/imagejpg2_zpsc1c84227.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/vasiliflame/imagejpg1_zps4ac3725d.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/vasiliflame/imagejpg3_zps06b58d6d.jpg
Edited by vas on 23. May 2014 22:23

cthulhu
That's a nice room with lots of potential. Even though it's relatively small I think you can easily fit one or two candy cabs as they're not that big. The biggest problem (for me) is storing all my PCBs...the way I do it (in postal boxes) takes up a lot of space. I also was shocked the first time I saw an actual CPS-2 cartridge, they were larger than I imagined.
I still need to do my attic (even after living in this house for 5 years) and think of a logical layout...my Pinball Machine takes up too much space in the middle of the room. That'll probably in a few years.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

vas
Sorry for not replying sooner , I have been meaning to but keep getting sidetracked Wink . Yeah it's a nice box room , but being a box room I doubt I ever get a pin ball machine in there he he, my days of serious arcade collecting are over really, bought and sold so much in the past I think I liked the chasing the pcbs the most.. But these days i cannot store delicate things like this "kids" . A lough if a capcom mini cute come alone I would grab it. I have thought of a regular arcade cabs but as my son loves arcade games as much as me and he is in a wheel chair , I have to think of how he can get use of them too.. I have a master plan for the room , theres going to a lot diy going into .. I have a plan with a radiogram I have from 50's 60's but that's for another post

merlin
vas wrote:

@merlin been playing varth and I underestimated it with a wii pad I was getting owned hard lost my 1st credit after the 1st boss and after that I kept getting hit often the bullets are very hard to see .

It is a pretty tough game and long too with 30 stages. It's easy to lose concentration and make a mistake. Often it's the enemies at the lower sides of the screen shooting quite fast shots that get me. I hope you're enjoying the game Vas.

You're lucky having a games room. I wish I had one. I'll be interested to see some photos of your room once you've got it all set up.

vas
Hope to clear a lot out this weekend , stuff it in the attic make space so I can actually set up more than one system at a time. Flooring will be done after paint . Going for a 1980 arcade ish theme. Not much on the vert front this week being half term , I spent most of it with the boy Thumbs Up

But yeah varths a bitch on the ipad I get owned , now windows is back up I'll take a few more credits tonight

Jump to Forum: