Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 4802
Thread Info
There are 7 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2024 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
I HAVE RETURNED TO MARTIAL ARTS BECAUSE OF SHENMUE
STE C
During my mid teens 14-16 I studied Kung Fu ( I am 39 now) and was described by my sensei as very talented and amongst the best he has seen for my age. Sadly upon leaving school ( we leave at 16 I the UK unless we choose to stay for further education) I started shift work in a local factory and abandoned my club as booze clubs and girls became more important to me.
Despite this I have always remembered my training and have continued to have an interest in martial arts by being big into beat em ups, esp Neo Geo 2D fighters and Sega 3D fighters.

So after once again completing Shenmue 1 & 2 at Xmas on Dreamcast which I have done every year since about 2008.I also for the first time completed the Xbox Shenmue 2 via my 360 for the first time and was pleasantly surprised how good it was ( apart from Rens voice ). But this time I found myself thinking more deeply about the martial arts side of the game and the training/discipline involved in them. Karate appears to be what Ryo is taught by his father despite him saying Ju Jitsu to a character in Shenmue 2, although both are of Japanese origin most of Ryo's skills appear to be Karate based although he doe's have throw moves which also indicate Ju-Jitsu

So after 24 years out the game I decided to join a local Karate club, due to the influence of Shenmue, although I dident tell my instructor I was taking it up because of a videogame.

After only a month I am very surprised by the similarities of Wado Ryu Karate and the moves Ryo uses in Shenmue. In fact so much of it makes sense and I feel the Shenmue vibe when training as so much of it seems familiar. My instructor has commented how I seem to be naturally picking up Karate but he doesn't know how I believe it is because of Shenmue. This may sound a little sad or egocentric to some of you but I think it shows just how powerful Shenmue is, not just in terms of a game but perhaps a way of life or thinking. Although I never expect to reach the same level as I did 25 years ago ( I don't think my body is actually capable of it) I am enjoying training and believe I am already noticing the health benefits.

On a different note I have had a Shenmue tattoo this morning and will post a picture next week after the scab/swelling has gone down.

Sensi
It's brave of you to share this with us. It's not easy to admit a game does influence your life, because most people won't understand it. They see videogames pure as fictional entertainment, which doesn't have anything to do with 'real life'. I don't agree with that; much games are based on real life events/rhythm/actions.

There is so much to learn from games. If a game gives you positive energy in real life, what's wrong with that? Like I stated above, in most case you don't get much understanding. Maybe if you explain it thorougly like you did, it's get easier for others to understand.

Great you picked up your 'old life'. It takes some courage to do that.
Especially to take a tattoo! Very curious about it, it's the first time I will see a Shenmue one Smile

LIFE_IN_2D
Very cool that you decided to pick up the art of fighting again.

Best of luck to you.

Maybe someday you can beat up Merlin for me.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Sensi
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:

Maybe someday you can beat up Merlin for me.

XD

RiKo
Good for you Ste getting back into martial arts. Shenmue does have a great fighting engine. I think for a while it was going to be Virtua Fighter RPG. Shenmue is probably my 2nd fav video game ever (just after SSFIV). I am planning to play it again soon, because I am back into Dreamcast right now.. Looking forward to playing sit-down Space Harrier again in You Arcade especially and comparing it with the Saturn and 3DS versions.

i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n513/mecha-neko/Shenmue/Shenmue_Dreamcast_062.jpg

3rd game on the left Ryo.

Ste C wrote :- I think it shows just how powerful Shenmue is, not just in terms of a game but perhaps a way of life or thinking

Thumbs Up now you just have to go find Fuku-san. I believe he is the Dojo.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Neorebel
I love this post. I too am a martial artist and I definitely feel movies and games have had a hand in shaping my interest in studying...

DarakuTenshi
I've wanted to get back into some form of martial arts... I just don't have the time. I've studied Kenpo, Muay Thai, Hapkido, and Tae Kwon Do. The other problem I have is most studios charge way too much for this sort of thing now. I'm a member of the WBBB (World Black Belt Bureau) and can take free classes from any studio who is associated with them, only I cannot find anyone in my area that is associated with them.

Jump to Forum: