Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: 1983parrothead
Thread ID: 4764
Thread Info
There are 32 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7307 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best horizontal shoot 'em ups
green beret
An update in my list
Prehistoric Isles 2
Darius Gaiden
Carrier Airwing
Progear No Arashi
R-Type LEO

Sensi
A little bit off-topic but I couldn't find any topics regarding my question.

At the moment I'm looking for the right shoot 'm ups to develop mine(newbie) skills.
So the ones which a friendly learning curve/difficulty.

To get on topic; the best (horizontal/vertical) shoot 'm ups for beginners Wink

Cheers!

cthulhu
Sensi wrote:

At the moment I'm looking for the right shoot 'm ups to develop mine(newbie) skills.

To get on topic; the best (horizontal/vertical) shoot 'em ups for beginners Wink

Cheers!

I mainly play Bullet Hell shmups and they're generally not really beginner friendly, but there are a few that are easier than others.
A great horizontal game is Deathsmiles, not that difficult but lots of fun to play (even I can 1CC this one).
As for vertical games, I think Espgaluda is relatively easy (I can get to stage 4 on one credit). Esp Ra.De. and the original Dodonpachi are a bit more difficult, but not that bad. The only problem with Cave games might be the complexity of the controls and scoring systems. These are I think the most beginner friendly Bullet Hell shmups and Espgaluda, Esp Ra.De. and Dodonpachi can be played through emulation if you want to try those out first before buying console versions.
Also another nice horizontal game is Tengai/ Sengoku Blade: Sengoku Ace episode II by Psikyo (also playable through emulation).
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

green beret
Sensi wrote:

To get on topic; the best (horizontal/vertical) shoot 'm ups for beginners Wink

Cheers!

A definitely easy to learn is Prehistoric Isle 2 which is a must have since you have a so great MVS collection! It is one of my best smups.

green beret
Now I realized that you don't have in your collection Blazing Star which is a great game and on the easy side. Prehistoric Isle 2 and Blazing Star fit you very well!

merlin
I agree with Green Beret about Prehistoric Isle 2. One of the easiest arcade shoot 'em ups I've come across. There are a few slightly harder parts in the game but most of the time there are few enemy shots to avoid and the shot speed is fairly slow. If you play with the lifebar it's even easier since you can replenish your health twice in the game.

Blazing Star seems like an easy game at first but the last two stages are VERY difficult.

Sonic Wings 3 (if you're playing the US or JPN version and NOT the Euro version) is also quite an easy 1CC.

Also Carrier Air Wing and UN Squadron are not that difficult. Since you have a 'lifebar' you can get away with making quite a few mistakes.

Sensi
Thank you deeply for all the extensive tips boys.
It may sound odd, but during the years I slowly build up a shoot 'm up collection on different systems. Due lack of time some of them aren't played properly, so that has to change. It's good news most of these mentioned games (Blazing Star-AES, Deathsmiles-360, Dodonpachi-Saturn, Espgaluda-PS2) are present here, no need for shopping.

Cthulhu, Deathsmiles was already recommended on a Wiki page and given your second opinion, it should be a great start. I have the XBox 360 version. For the same console I also have Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5, how's the difficulty of that one?

Green Beret, so Prehistoric Isle 2 is good enough for hunting down, even with it's steep price tag?

green beret
Sensi wrote:

Thank you deeply for all the extensive tips boys.
It may sound odd, but during the years I slowly build up a shoot 'm up collection on different systems. Due lack of time some of them aren't played properly, so that has to change. It's good news most of these mentioned games (Blazing Star-AES, Deathsmiles-360, Dodonpachi-Saturn, Espgaluda-PS2) are present here, no need for shopping.

Cthulhu, Deathsmiles was already recommended on a Wiki page and given your second opinion, it should be a great start. I have the XBox 360 version. For the same console I also have Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5, how's the difficulty of that one?

Green Beret, so Prehistoric Isle 2 is good enough for hunting down, even with it's steep price tag?

Steep price tag? Cool It's for free compared your AES Blazing Star!! He he!
It is really a better game than Blazing Star in my opinion. It's very simple to play and it is beautiful with a great dinosaur concept. The hind helicopter looks so cool, I love it! Go for it 100% and don't even think about it. If it really seems to you expensive at this time then go for a bare cart and not for the kit. This was my first MVS game and when I bought it I didn't even had an MVS mobo....Bob
An also great game to add to your collection is Carrier Air Wing as Merlin said already above. It is cheap and it is one of the best horizontal smups ever made in my opinion. Capcom. A real arcade legend and a Classic at the same time. Buy it too and you won't regret it.
I have ordered myself a different type of smup. Irem In the Hunt. It plays horizontically but you move the screen. Great. It looks fantastic.
Cthulhu suggests you some of the greatest games too but before you hunt the pcbs, play your 360 ports first to see if you like bullet hells. I personally play them on my iPad Air and they play great. I also have tried them on my 360 but controls were more difficult than on the iPad.

cthulhu
Sensi wrote:Cthulhu, Deathsmiles was already recommended on a Wiki page and given your second opinion, it should be a great start. I have the XBox 360 version. For the same console I also have Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5, how's the difficulty of that one?

Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 is quite difficult except for the first two stages...the scoring system is also quite complicated...I personally prefer the first one over Futari for several reasons.
Best Cave game in my opinion is Ketsui...a brilliant and brutally difficult game. My most favorite on the other hand is Guwange, which is a piece of art that's really made with love.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

1983parrothead
Seems like no one mentioned the RayXanbeR trilogy, AeroBlasters/Air Buster, nor the Sharp X68000, SNES and GBA versions of Phalanx.

Lord Thag
I really like the Thunderforce series, particularly 3 and 4.

Gaires, Gleylancer and Hellfire are all great hori shmups on the genesis.

Aeroblaster, Dead Moon, Fantasy Zone and salamander are great on the PC Engine.

I live the cave stuff as well. The iOS ports are surprisingly good

green beret
An update in my list. My best horizontal shoot em ups with no particular order:
Prehistoric Isles 2
Darius Gaiden
Carrier Airwing
Progear No Arashi
R-Type LEO
Blazing Star
In the Huht
Mystic Riders
G-Darius