Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 4757
Thread Info
There are 54 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12378 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are the best 2D Beat-em-ups?
RiKo
Ninja wrote :- Hahaha! Doesn't sound like I've really changed my opinion over the years here, huh? Cool

I also mentioned Tekken Force just like I did here Shock

Yu Yu Hakusho for the Mega Drive was programmed by Masaki Ukyo, who goes on to program Guardian Heroes, while Asuka 120% was by Masatoshi Imaizumi, who went on to make Panzer Bandit. Both people worked on Panzer Bandit's older brother, the 1994 beat 'em up, Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force together. According to former Treasure designer Tetsuhiko "Han" Kikuchi, Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force and Capcom's Alien VS. Predator arcade game were the main inspirations for Guardian Heroes' design.&#65279

Thanks Parrothead for the info. Aliens Vs Predator looks great so I really need to play Guardian Heroes sometime, I can only ever remember playing it for about 5 minutes on my Saturn - not because it was bad just because I was itching to play Space Harrier and Outrun Smile
Edited by RiKo on 14. March 2014 18:24
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
The eccentric cat
Surprised no one's mentioned Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Definitely the most fun 4-player beat em up I've played in a long while, it helps that its pretty much River City Ransom 2.
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

1983parrothead
What about Shin Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-tachi no Banka?

merlin
Nice thread RiKo. I've been meaning to reply for a while but never quite got around to it. Side scrolling beat 'em ups are actually my favourite genre so I definitely approve of this thread!

I'd say Sengoku 3 is by far the best beat 'em up on Neo Geo. I'm always surprised Neo Geo fans aren't more enthusiastic about this game. The usual complaints are that the game is too long, there aren't enough different enemies and that the enemies take too long to kill. None of those things are an issue for me. The combo system is very fun and it's a very good looking game with a nice soundtrack. I hope Sengoku 3 will grow on you RiKo when you've spent more time with it.

In my opinion the best beat 'em ups ever created are the ones developed by Capcom, IGS and WinkySoft. There are of course quite a few other nice examples of this genre by other developers but they are not as good. The gameplay just feels much more satisfying and enjoyable in beat 'em ups by those three developers. Their games have beautiful graphics, quite a few moves and there is plenty of scope for developing your skill. Nice to see a few other people mention WinkySoft in this thread.

The best beat 'em ups:

Capcom
Alien vs Predator, Armored Warriors, Battle Circuit, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Captain Commando, Dungeons & Dragons Tower of Doom, Dungeons & Dragons Shadow over Mystara, Final Fight, Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, The Punisher, Warriors of Fate

IGS
Knights of Valour Super Heroes, Knights of Valour 2 Nine Dragons, The Gladiator

WinkySoft
Denjin Makai, Denjin Makai II

I haven't played KOV3 and OL2 so didn't include them.

I noticed a few people in this thread said they hadn't played some of the Capcom side scrollers. I would highly recommend playing all of them. They are all excellent. My favourites as probably you guys already know are Knights of the Round and The King of Dragons. The blocking and countering aspect of KOTR is really fun and the boss battles are epic. This article at Hardcore Gaming 101 is worth checking out for a good overview of Capcom's side scrollers.

http://www.hardco...clones.htm

Something I always find a bit surprisng though is people very often say Final Fight is their favourite or the best beat 'em up. I like it a lot (I own the PCB so I must like it!) but other beat 'em ups by Capcom are even better and more enjoyable IMO. I think it's because many people experienced Final Fight in arcades and/or on the SNES, have feelings of nostalgia about it and have less experience with other games. Battle Circuit for example is an excellent game that people rarely seem to mention.

Like the D&D games the IGS beat 'em ups have many secrets and different pathways and there are many combo possibilities. Beautiful looking games with high replay value.

The Simpsons, X-Men and the Turtles games are quite overrated IMO. The gameplay feels a bit shallow and repetitive and nowhere near as satisfying as in a Capcom/IGS/WinkySoft game.

I notice people quite often say they find this genre repetitive. I think you get out of these games what you put into them. If you just credit feed through everything and don't put much effort into developing your skills and learning the boss patterns then it will be a less satisfying experience.

RiKo
I came here to say I just watched a playthrough of Burning Fight and althogh it's clearly a Final Fight rip off (that music too!), just from the video it does look good. Nice set of moves and seems responsive. There's some variety in there too with the different bosses and those areas where you smash things up which break up the action. Better than I was expecting.

Sorry Merlin, missed you before.

Merlin wrote :- I'd say Sengoku 3 is by far the best beat 'em up on Neo Geo. I'm always surprised Neo Geo fans aren't more enthusiastic about this game. The usual complaints are that the game is too long, there aren't enough different enemies and that the enemies take too long to kill. None of those things are an issue for me. The combo system is very fun and it's a very good looking game with a nice soundtrack. I hope Sengoku 3 will grow on you RiKo when you've spent more time with it.

Yes I have some of those issues. Final Fight is for me the best beat em up I have played so I tend to like games that are similar to that. Also games where you can vary your moves a lot are good - since by their nature beat-em-ups are repetitive by nature. I will give it another play at some point. I did like the graphics on Sengoku 3 when I played it Smile

Something I always find a bit surprisng though is people very often say Final Fight is their favourite or the best beat 'em up. I like it a lot (I own the PCB so I must like it!) but other beat 'em ups by Capcom are even better and more enjoyable IMO. I think it's because many people experienced Final Fight in arcades and/or on the SNES, have feelings of nostalgia about it and have less experience with other games.

very jealous of your PCB (+ Strider too!) Yes probably for me because it is the best one I have played, and I haven't played a huge number of beat-em-ups. Also even when games come out later that are maybe better -if they only build on what came before you don't get that new amazing experience you got the first time you played something like Final Fight. Its the same with Street Fighter 2. Thats the one you remember.

I notice people quite often say they find this genre repetitive. I think you get out of these games what you put into them.

I agree with that for the best games but at the same time many of the games don't have a varied combo system or varied enemies, so they tend to make you just do the same moves or same way of attacking again and again. Even when I watch playthroughs of some of the games it looks boring. I think you are right that the best games - there's a lot more to them than meets the eye though Thumbs Up
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
I will give Burning Fight another try some time RiKo. When I played it in the past it just seemed very average and nowhere near as enjoyable as Final Fight.

I know what you mean about Final Fight. Final Fight must have made a very big impression on people when it first came out so I guess I can understand that sense of awe people still have. I would hope though that people will try all the later Capcom side scrollers too.

Even beat 'em ups with only a few moves and no fancy combo system can still be very enjoyable. In The King of Dragons for example each character only has one type of attack but the characters and stages are quite varied and there are a large number of different bosses and other enemies.

I don't find any of the Capcom/IGS/WinkySoft games I listed too repetitive. I never get bored of them.

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
I noticed a few people in this thread said they hadn't played some of the Capcom side scrollers. I would highly recommend playing all of them. They are all excellent. My favourites as probably you guys already know are Knights of the Round and The King of Dragons. The blocking and countering aspect of KOTR is really fun and the boss battles are epic. This article at Hardcore Gaming 101 is worth checking out for a good overview of Capcom's side scrollers.

Something I always find a bit surprisng though is people very often say Final Fight is their favourite or the best beat 'em up. I like it a lot (I own the PCB so I must like it!) but other beat 'em ups by Capcom are even better and more enjoyable IMO. I think it's because many people experienced Final Fight in arcades and/or on the SNES, have feelings of nostalgia about it and have less experience with other games. Battle Circuit for example is an excellent game that people rarely seem to mention.

Like the D&D games the IGS beat 'em ups have many secrets and different pathways and there are many combo possibilities. Beautiful looking games with high replay value.

The Simpsons, X-Men and the Turtles games are quite overrated IMO. The gameplay feels a bit shallow and repetitive and nowhere near as satisfying as in a Capcom/IGS/WinkySoft game.

I notice people quite often say they find this genre repetitive. I think you get out of these games what you put into them. If you just credit feed through everything and don't put much effort into developing your skills and learning the boss patterns then it will be a less satisfying experience.

ABSOLUTELY, 1000%, ALL OF THIS...

Capcom are (were?) the absolute masters of this genre. Just fucking untouchable. From Final Fight, right through to Shadow over Mystara. Did Capcom EVER make a bad Side-scroller? I don't think they did? For all the grief ppl give the SNES Final Fight sequels - 2 & 3 - they're both still very good, and Final Fight 3 is arguably the best and most overlooked entry in the series. They REALLY should have been arcade titles tbh though. Fortunately though, FF3 borrows VERY heavily from Capcoms other arcade brethren, including special moves, super moves, dashing/running and even running combo's.

But honestly, I too stand by the comments of those who adamantly state that 'Final Fight' is the best beat em up ever or 'Streets of Rage 2' or 'Turtles in Time' is, to actually play through the whole Capcom side-scroller library. Because ALL of them (imo) piss on the aforementioned.

Sure, Final Fight was the blueprint and forefather for which all other Capcom titles were inspired, but Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Captain Commando and Battle Circuit are BETTER! It almost borders on that whole "I prefer Street Fighter II to Super Street Fighter II Turbo" mentality. I just cannot relate.

I realise other companies have made some great side scrollers over the years, such as Undercover Cops, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe RODA, Denjin Makai, Double Dragon etc... but Capcom were just untouchable in this area.

Somehow, even SNK couldn't touch them. At all. Still want to play Mutation Nation though Pfft
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
Thanks for the reply Ninja. I think we have a very similar taste in beat 'em ups. No I don't think Capcom ever did make a bad beat 'em up. I haven't tried it myself but I've heard that Mighty Final Fight on NES is held in high regard. Perhaps I should have included Dynasty Wars / Tenchi wo Kurau in my list too but it does seem a bit different from a normal beat 'em up.

Where I perhaps differ slightly from you Ninja is that I do think the IGS and WinkySoft side scrollers are as good as those by Capcom. Denjin Makai II is as good as something like The Punisher IMO. The Capcom beat 'em ups will always be my favourites though.

I'm really obsessed at the moment with Warrior Blade Rastan Saga Episode III. A very cool game with some nice ideas and lots of variety. A very entertaining game which more people should check out. Es gibt keinen Ausweg! Ich schlag dich in Stücke! Grin

TF73
Some of my favourites are Streets of Rage 2/MD, Double Dragon/Arcade, Shadow Warriors/Amiga, Final Fight/MCD, Guardian Heroes/Sat and last but not least Golden Axe/Arcade. Im sure there are others to but those are the first that comes to my mind.
Used a fortune playing Double Dragon in the arcades in it's day.

green beret
merlin wrote:

Nice thread RiKo. I've been meaning to reply for a while but never quite got around to it. Side scrolling beat 'em ups are actually my favourite genre so I definitely approve of this thread!

I'd say Sengoku 3 is by far the best beat 'em up on Neo Geo. I'm always surprised Neo Geo fans aren't more enthusiastic about this game. The usual complaints are that the game is too long, there aren't enough different enemies and that the enemies take too long to kill. None of those things are an issue for me. The combo system is very fun and it's a very good looking game with a nice soundtrack. I hope Sengoku 3 will grow on you RiKo when you've spent more time with it.

In my opinion the best beat 'em ups ever created are the ones developed by Capcom, IGS and WinkySoft. There are of course quite a few other nice examples of this genre by other developers but they are not as good. The gameplay just feels much more satisfying and enjoyable in beat 'em ups by those three developers. Their games have beautiful graphics, quite a few moves and there is plenty of scope for developing your skill. Nice to see a few other people mention WinkySoft in this thread.

The best beat 'em ups:

Capcom
Alien vs Predator, Armored Warriors, Battle Circuit, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Captain Commando, Dungeons & Dragons Tower of Doom, Dungeons & Dragons Shadow over Mystara, Final Fight, Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, The Punisher, Warriors of Fate

IGS
Knights of Valour Super Heroes, Knights of Valour 2 Nine Dragons, The Gladiator

WinkySoft
Denjin Makai, Denjin Makai II

I haven't played KOV3 and OL2 so didn't include them.

I can't agree with you more! You cover all about beat em ups. These are the best of the best. I will try to have in psysical form every one of them as this is my favourite gerne too!

green beret
What about Alien Storm? Do anyone like it?

merlin
I think you, neogeoninja and me have a similar taste in beat 'em ups Green Beret.

I like Alien Storm. It's nice that there's a good amount of variety between stages including some auto-scrolling sections where you are running and also the first person shooting sections.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Alien Storm (underrated!)

green beret
merlin wrote:

I think you, neogeoninja and me have a similar taste in beat 'em ups Green Beret.

I like Alien Storm. It's nice that there's a good amount of variety between stages including some auto-scrolling sections where you are running and also the first person shooting sections.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Alien Storm (underrated!)
Great, because I will buy it soon along with Captain Commando, Battle Circuit and Powered Gear.
I also try to buy Guardians from a guy! I hope he sells it to me!
Sega's Alien Storm has a great concept and it is made by the Shinobi team. Some people say it's a little bit frustrating. I hope I like it

green beret
Ordered Captain Commando, Battle Circuit, Alien Storm and the Crystal of Kings. That last one has prerendered graphics like Donkey Kong but far better because of superior tech, very different characters to choose from, some interesting gameplay mechanism that progress your character as good or evil and gorgeous looking bosses and creatures. Also looks like it's quite rare. Some reviews I found say very good words and rate it between 8-9 out of ten.

What do you think about it Merlin?

EDIT: Also ordered and waiting to come a full Oriental Legend 2 kit. I hope this is a good beat em up.
Edited by green beret on 01. January 2015 00:15

merlin
Very nice purchases Green Beret. You have built up a high quality beat 'em up collection. I also have Captain Commando. Does your PCB still have a suicide battery? My one does but still works perfectly.

I've played The Crystal of Kings quite a few times on Mame and really like it. The morality system is a very original idea. I've never come across that in a beat 'em up before. The music is great too. One thing that always impresses me about this game is the giant serpent at the end of stage 2. Very cool looking boss.

Have you ever played Ninja Baseball Bat Man by Irem? Many people really love that game.

I do enjoy a lot of beat 'em ups in addition to the ones I listed before but I still think the Capcom/IGS/WinkySoft games are the greatest.

green beret
merlin wrote:

Very nice purchases Green Beret. You have built up a high quality beat 'em up collection. I also have Captain Commando. Does your PCB still have a suicide battery? My one does but still works perfectly.

I've played The Crystal of Kings quite a few times on Mame and really like it. The morality system is a very original idea. I've never come across that in a beat 'em up before. The music is great too. One thing that always impresses me about this game is the giant serpent at the end of stage 2. Very cool looking boss.

Have you ever played Ninja Baseball Bat Man by Irem? Many people really love that game.

I do enjoy a lot of beat 'em ups in addition to the ones I listed before but I still think the Capcom/IGS/WinkySoft games are the greatest.
Happy new year Merlin! My Captain Commando doesn't have batteries as the seller told me (I bought also Carrier Air Wing, Alien Storm and 19xx from the same guy and none has batteries) This sounds good to me as I already have about 10 CPS2 games with batteries and I think it's too much trouble.
I haven't played Ninja Baseball Bat but I will check it out.
My beat em up collection is almost full though because I have ordered a lot of PCBs this time around and I won't have space to put them.
Oriental Legend isn't on mame right? There are no reviews for this game on the net. Do you know anything about it? On YouTube there is a play through video and looks cool.

merlin
green beret wrote:
Happy new year Merlin! My Captain Commando doesn't have batteries as the seller told me (I bought also Carrier Air Wing, Alien Storm and 19xx from the same guy and none has batteries) This sounds good to me as I already have about 10 CPS2 games with batteries and I think it's too much trouble.
My beat em up collection is almost full though because I have ordered a lot of PCBs this time around and I won't have space to put them.
Oriental Legend isn't on mame right? There are no reviews for this game on the net. Do you know anything about it? On YouTube there is a play through video and looks cool.

Happy New Year Green Beret. That was a good decision getting Carrier Air Wing! One of my favourite shoot 'em ups. I plan to also buy it in the future. I already have UN Squadron.

Yes you're right Oriental Legend 2 isn't playable on Mame yet. I haven't played it unfortunately but it looks excellent and people who have played the game seem to like it a lot. I've heard it's quite a long game. Another member here, Salvio, also owns OL2.

green beret
merlin wrote:

green beret wrote:

Happy New Year Green Beret. That was a good decision getting Carrier Air Wing! One of my favourite shoot 'em ups. I plan to also buy it in the future. I already have UN Squadron.

Yes you're right Oriental Legend 2 isn't playable on Mame yet. I haven't played it unfortunately but it looks excellent and people who have played the game seem to like it a lot. I've heard it's quite a long game. Another member here, Salvio, also owns OL2.
I used to play Carrier Airwing at arcades thousands years ago. It was my best shoot em up! I will see now if it still is!
Maybe Salvio can enlighten us about Oriental Legend 2 or else I will tell my opinion when I will receive it. It's shipped already. Looks to have KOV2 engine for graphics and gameplay.

Plexo
I really like some oscure Korean beat em ups, like Darkside story.

YouTube Video

Or Electronic Popple
YouTube Video

I also played a lot of very good snes beat em ups, and my favourite is Battle Zeque Den.

YouTube Video

green beret
merlin wrote:

Dear Merlin,
Irem's Ninja Baseball Batman is a fantastic beat em up . A lot of fun to play and very cute! I would like to add it to my collection. Irem's Undercover Cops is a lot of fun too with a lot of inspiration from people that later made Metal Slug saga!!!

Jump to Forum: