Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 4757
Thread Info
There are 54 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12368 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are the best 2D Beat-em-ups?
RiKo
Purely because I'm a bit ignorant in this area, I was wondering what people consider to be the best 2D scrolling beat-em-ups?. It was probably my favourite genre for a while back in the 90s but I've only played the really big names like Renegade, Double Dragon 1 + 3, Streets of Rage 1, Final Fight, Shadow Warriors (Ninja Gaiden).

Also which is the best on Neo Geo? The only one I've played was Sengoku 2001, and I didn't immediately enjoy it. It seemed a little boring - great graphics though.

I generally like ones where you have a fair few moves because I get bored spamming the same chains. Final Fight was pretty good for that, but even so would have liked just one more move or combo per character.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Sensi
Interesting topic Riko.
For me it's very important if a brawler has a co-op (2-player) mode.
Final Fight didn't have it and I still remember how disappointed my friend and I were. Final Fight 2 and 3 made up for that.

I played Double Dragon III (NES) a lot with one friend for a very long time, but it was hard as hell. Super Double Dragon (SNES) and Turtles in Time (SNES) were superb co-op games in the 90's, so I have fond memories from these games. I also remember playing a few times Streets of Rage II and one time Brawl Brothers.

Waiting for some guys too mentions Knights of the Round, never played it though.
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
Sensi, you must have played the neutered SNES version. To really get the true Final Fight experience, you must play the CPS ( pcb ) game.... or you can get Capcom Arcade Classics on PS2. It's really one the best beat 'em ups of all time. If you're good enough, you can make your own combos via the infinite combo loop. Plus you can combo from a jumping elbow to a throw. Final fight offers lots of opportunity to vary attacks, if you're good enough. True that they are rooted in the same basic combo, but you can choose to interrupt it at any given time. Not to mention all the combos that are exclusive to Haggar,nor the inherent advantages that each character has. Been playing Final Fight as a wee kiddo, and I never get tired of it. The game is often mimicked, but never repeated.

Second place of course goes to Streets of Rage II. Awesome Final Fight clone, but with a higher arsenal of moves. The graphics of course are shit compared to Final Fight, but it is a legend in it's own right.

Final Fight 3 is fucking awesome. Probably the best beat 'em, up I've played on the SNES. Too bad the cart is so expensive.

When it comes to the Neo, Mutation Nation is where it's at. Really like this game.

Another that I hold in high regard is Konomi's "Vendetta". The 4P play is fun as hell. Sure, it might be shit playing solo, but find three friends to play with, and the game will shine. Lots of funny stuff in the game.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 28. February 2014 21:13
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Loris Biaggi
I'm not a fan of old school beat-em-ups, i always found them repetitive and boring.
Hack and slash usually add some fun for me, i prefer golden axe to final fight.
I think last generation beat-em-ups are the best ones, like PGM games (the gladiator, kov, oriental legend), or the crystal of the kings.
Now i'm playing the combatribes and it's fun, a lot of funny moves
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
i65.tinypic.com/11udicm.gif

Sensi
Life, played the SNES release of Final Fight, so I can't compare it with other versions. I don't doubt the quality of the game, but not having co-op was disappointing.
You can discuss which games are sidescrolling beat 'm ups. Does BattleToads for example qualify for that?

RiKo
Thanks for all the repsonses Thumbs Up will have a look at all those games.

2D wrote : - Sensi, you must have played the neutered SNES version. To really get the true Final Fight experience, you must play the CPS ( pcb ) game.... or you can get Capcom Arcade Classics on PS2.

I have played the arcade a couple of times but I was a SNES player too although back then it was amazing. To get a game that close to Final Fight at home was a bit shocking at the time. The early SNES games had really small cartridges sizes - possibly 4 meg (512k!). EDIT: actually 8 meg I think looking it up but that's still small. but that was no excuse when they later released Final Fight Guy, which had Guy included and I *think* the missing stage but still didn't have the coop mode.

2D wrote :- Second place of course goes to Streets of Rage II. Awesome Final Fight clone, but with a higher arsenal of moves. The graphics of course are shit compared to Final Fight, but it is a legend in it's own right.

That sounds pretty good, I didn't like the original SOR that much tbh when I played it, I was playing with a friend and we both got bored before we died. Seemed quite easy too. And Mutation Nation, that has caught my eye before actually but never played it. Will give it a try.

Loris Biaggi wrote :- I'm not a fan of old school beat-em-ups, i always found them repetitive and boring.
Hack and slash usually add some fun for me, i prefer golden axe to final fight.
I think last generation beat-em-ups are the best ones, like PGM games (the gladiator, kov, oriental legend), or the crystal of the kings.
Now i'm playing the combatribes and it's fun, a lot of funny moves

Well that's the problem, you play a few of them and they are good fun but after that they can get boring fast. I always wonder why they never did a beat-em-up with say a similar number of moves to an early versus fighter. I know games like Tekken Force are shit but that's just because it's done badly. With a bit more strategy along with the twitch gameplay you might get something interesting I'll check out those PGM games for sure.

Sensi
Well, it would be great if a mix between beat'm up and RPG would see the light. So the best elements of Dragon's Crown and Final Fight/Double Dragon for example. Visiting towns, buying new (custome) clothes, a epic storyline and put some great brawling (random) encounters with it. Definitely a winner.

RiKo
I'd buy it Smile

Does any one know if Capcom's Aliens Versus Predator is good? I was watching a video last night and it looked *awesome*. Really funny too in an 80's action film sort of way. e.g. very macho and over the top.

LIFE_IN_2D
AVP is solid.

Great gameplay, characters and music.

You can also play up to 3P.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoGeoNinja
Some of my favourites have already been mentioned, but no harm re-including them, eh?

Double Dragon II on NES...
is my all time favourite beat 'em up. It plays amazingly well and had so much depth on offer for it's time (multiple grapple options, special moves, ability to attack front and back without changing direction etc).

Final Fight 3 on SNES (as 2D mentioned)...
I got this back in the day and it was terribly obscure even then. It was pointless discussion point as no one had ever heard of, or thought I was bullsh*tting about a 3rd iteration (similar has happened when discussing SFIII in the past to tbh, before SF4 made it popular again). Although FF1 is the obvious Arcade Classic, I always enjoyed FF3 the most personally. It's almost like a splice of classic FF solid gameplay mixed with the extras found in the SOR series (dashing, dashing attacks, QC motion attacks and 2xQC super attacks!!). Great game and all 4 characters are varied and interesting to use. The game also offers multiple paths of gameplay, great graphics and awesome music.

Super Double Dragon on SNES...
Completely different to the NES versions and plays more like a pumped up, modernised version of the (imo) flawed arcade originals. Again, great music, nice gfx (great animation, not so much amount of frames but quality of frame style) and it's high on challenge. This game is no walk in the park! It's a toughie. if you can, play the Japanese version (DD Returns) as it offers difficulty and other options not found in the harder PAL/US release! But, honestly, the high point of this game for me was the effort put into the fighting style of Billy & Jimmy. The kicks, the punches, use of weapons... all really well done.

Captain Commando on CPSII/Arcade...
My favourite of the Capcom stable of 2D beat em ups. Plays very similarly to Final Fight but has more personality, colour and character. FF takes itself much more seriously by comparison. It inherits all the quality shown in FF before it and expands with 4x diverse character styles (Cap'n Commando, a Ninja, a Mummy and, err... a baby piloting a mech suit). Gameplay includes 'extra joy' and use of the dash and dash attacks. Probably my fave 2D beat em up, objectively speaking (DD2 on NES, nostalgia laden/subjectively).
EDIT: Forgot to mention, CC is a 4P beat em up! Even better, it's compatible with the PS2 multitap if you own Capcom Classics 2 for PS2!!!

Ninja Gaiden @Arcade...
It all started with Shadow Warriors on the Amiga tbh. I was obsessed with it as a kid. The gfx were ultra cool, the Ninja (Ryu) looked ultra badass with his sleeveless Gi and the music was also pretty phenomenal. I played this before the likes of FF and SOR and it was a real advancement over anything I'd played before it tbh (i.e. DD series, Renegade etc). It's particularly satisfying on the 4th or 5th stage when you mount a disused train line and take on around 20 enemies (at the same time) using his trusty combo to dispatch all the foes. The combo works in a way so that you can switch left, right, left, right - each blow. Not state of the art nowadays, but a solid fighter well worth your attention. Up there as one of my faves (with DD2 & CC).

Ninja Warriors Again on SNES...
Bit of an odd one this. It's an EXCELLENT 2D beat em up and truly (imo) one of the best titles on the SNES. I had to sell mine on years ago due to financial struggles (and pulled nr.300 for it) and is one of the few titles I miss on SNES today. Why is it odd? because, as amazing as it is, it adopts the 2D platformer 'perspective' for gameplay as opposed to the pseudo 3D field that we are generally used to. Broken record city but... great music, gameplay and gfx. The characters are all Ninja's (yes!!!) but are all varied and interesting. My favourite being the Kamaitaichi - a robo ninja with seriously deadly skills!

Honourable, non elaborate mentions also go to:

Double Dragon Advance (GBA)
Pretty much ALL CPSII 2D fighters!!! (AvP, C&Dinos, BCircuit, KotR etc)
SOR series (yes, inc. 3)
Alien Storm (underrated!)
Raging Blades PS2 (obscure, but cool 3D beat em up)

And of course, if open minded about the genre, the MIGHTY, mighty GodHand Wink

p.s. I haven't mentioned Guardian Heroes or Turtles Beat em ups because, personally, I don't rate them vs general consensus Hmm
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

1983parrothead
Irem created some decent beat 'em ups from the first Kung-Fu Master, to the obscure Ninja Baseball Bat Man.

Fill-in-Cafe (who had some employees move to Treasure while some moved elsewhere) also made some pretty good ones like Galaxy Keiji Gayvan, Mad Stalker : Full Metal Force series and Panzer Bandit.

Technosoft, Seibu Kaihatsu, TAD Corporation, Toaplan, and Tatsumi, only created Nekketsu Oyako, Zero Team, Legionnaire, Knuckle Bash, and Big Fight. All five seem to be okay.

If you like Knuckle Bash, you might like the Sailor Moon arcade developed by some of the same people.

See also Winky Soft's Denjin Makai and Guardians.

cthulhu
Arcade:
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom.
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara.
The Gladiator - Road of the Sword.
Knights of Valour Nine Dragons.
Alien vs. Predator.
Guardians/ Denjin Makai II.
Night Slashers.
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

Megadrive:
Streets of Rage 2.
Splatterhouse Part 3.

NES:
Double Dragon II (a lot better than the Arcade version!).

GBA:
Gekido: Kintaro's Revenge.

PS3:
Dragon's Crown.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

RiKo
Ninja - I really enjoyed the Amiga version of Shadow Warriors too. I played the arcade game in a motorway service station and thought it was amazing. The Amiga version was pretty good considering. I really liked Ninja Warrors on Amiga too.

I actually have Super Double Dragon and Final Fight 3, but they are both games I haven't played properly. I have the Jap versions and I think they are called Double Dragon Next and Final Fight Tough. I did play Super Double Dragon for a little but couldn't work out if it was good or not. It reminded me of Streets Of Rage at the time

And of course, if open minded about the genre, the MIGHTY, mighty GodHand

p.s. I haven't mentioned Guardian Heroes or Turtles Beat em ups because, personally, I don't rate them vs general consensus Hmm

Why don't you like Guardian Heroes Ninja? Godhand yes one of the best games ever, and won't be bettered by a sequel :/ - The guy who made it recently said he could never make that game again in such a hardcore way because it would have to be more accessible to sell (despite being superb the original didn't sell very well)

Cthulhu wrote :- Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom.
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara.

Those are 2 games I have been planning on playing for a while. Really like the look of them. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember you having the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden. Jealous Smile

Sensi
I still have Godhand to play, but I read frequently it is super hard. Is this true?

NeoGeoNinja
Sensi wrote:

I still have Godhand to play, but I read frequently it is super hard. Is this true?

I'm really not sure of how to answer this but...

You just have to be good at it. It's not, imo, overly difficult. It can be challenging, but I never thought it 'super hard'. That's more Ninja Gaiden's territory imo.

GodHand... amazing game. One of the best games I have ever played tbh. Sometimes, PPL make a game and you just feel like they made specifically in accordance with your tastes. Full stop. And this is what happened when I first played GodHand: weird sense of humor; Fist of the North Star/80's action movie hero overtones; hand to hand martial arts with tonnes of moves at your disposal; customisable combos and upgradeable combos and moves.

Seriously. If you enjoy kicking the living f*ck out of ppl in great detail and variety, this IS the game for you. It's ridiculous how good it is. It's ridiculous how MUCH the reviewers DIDN'T 'get it' when it came out.

I should really track down a sealed copy sometime to exhibit in its very own glass cabinet, just to demonstrate the love and respect I have for that game. Maybe... a GodHand tattoo even...? Grin

cthulhu
RiKo wrote:
Those are 2 games I have been planning on playing for a while. Really like the look of them. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember you having the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden. Jealous Smile

Nope, I don't have Ninja Gaiden except for the Atari Lynx version, which is a really awesome port by the way.
Lucky for you both D&D games finally recently had a great release. I don't know how they are compared to the original arcade versions (which I both have and love), but they're probably still great.
My arcade stuff

RiKo
Sorry my memory must be failing me. I will check them out, I always held off from the Saturn versions just because I heard they were missing a few animation frames. I'm too fussy really.

I just found this earlier thread though which is useful too.

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1643

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:

I just found this earlier thread though which is useful too.

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1643

Hahaha! Doesn't sound like I've really changed my opinion over the years here, huh? Cool

cthulhu
Same here it seems.
My arcade stuff

1983parrothead
Yu Yu Hakusho for the Mega Drive was programmed by Masaki Ukyo, who goes on to program Guardian Heroes, while Asuka 120% was by Masatoshi Imaizumi, who went on to make Panzer Bandit. Both people worked on Panzer Bandit's older brother, the 1994 beat 'em up, Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force together. According to former Treasure designer Tetsuhiko "Han" Kikuchi, Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force and Capcom's Alien VS. Predator arcade game were the main inspirations for Guardian Heroes' design.

Jump to Forum: