Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 4706
Thread Info
There are 44 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 16809 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Year's Challenge: Beat 1 game on every console you own.
Sensi
Good job Mojo, beating Gravity Rush. It's indeed a good game. Did you also beat all the challenges? Some of them are very challenging.
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg

shion
A good game is like a fine bottle of wine; it should not be finished in haste, but enjoyed entirely in due time. How long is that? Well, it is as long as it takes. Wink

I've seen your thread before mojo, just clarifying why I'm refraining. (I could see this thread replacing/relating to WAYP)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Henke
Valis III down.
Not the greatest game but fun to actually play through once.

So frustrating right now, I'm on last boss on following games, but it just seems impossible to finish them. Arrgh Angry

Fantasy Zone
Silpheed
Virtua Tennis: World champion mode
GunHed

And FZ & GunHed are supposed to be quite easy ones, aren't they? :(

RiKo
Sensi wrote :-

Jeeej, I have beaten Psychonauts tonight. Another very good game from Double Fine, I'm fan of Tim Schafer's work. The last two levels got tedious, so glad they are over.

Riko, I recommend you carry on with #2 and #7.
I still think ICO is one of the best games I've ever played. It's also the only game that made me cry at the end, it's that special.

I've always wanted to try Psychonauts. What you say reminds me of Final Fight on the SNES, Great game but the final level was so boring, just endless waves of bad guys. Plus I had the Japanese version and I could never remember the correct answer to the question the boss asks at the end. So i had to repeat it a lot! I'll be onto Ico and Mirror's Edge soon Smile

Henke wrote : - GunHed

That game has a special place in my heart. It seemed stunning when it came out. I used to play it on a friend's PCE at a time when a PCE was unobtainable for me.. Nowhere near finished it. Good luck Henke!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
Tobalman wrote:

A good game is like a fine bottle of wine; it should not be finished in haste, but enjoyed entirely in due time. How long is that? Well, it is as long as it takes. Wink

I've seen your thread before mojo, just clarifying why I'm refraining. (I could see this thread replacing/relating to WAYP)
I totally agree and I don't want to just rush through good games either. This was just a way to get myself to actually be dedicated to finishing anything. I'm certainly not moving on from a game before I'm ready to. For example, I just beat Super Mario 3D World two days ago (coop with my room mate), but there's a bunch of extra levels that unlock after that so I'll still be playing it for a while rather than quickly moving on.

On the other hand, I also started playing Bayonetta on 360 the other day. Good stuff.

Sensi
This challenge isn't about rushing games. It's a motivation for playing the game you've always wanted to play, like a bucket list.
I have many (old) consoles and games, but in the end I haven't got the (life)time to complete them all. So you have to make a selection and a list like this helps greatly.

I enjoy this very much, hopefully others feel the same way.
Yesterday I begun with Tales of Destiny (PS/1998) and it's a blast to play.
IMO you can enjoy quality games every time, no matter how old they are.

reelmojo
I just finished Bayonetta. It's definitely one of the weirdest games I've ever played. The fight with Jeanne in the city near the end of the game is one of the coolest boss fights I've ever played.

My list now looks like this:

Wii: Sonic and the Black Knight
Wii U: Super Mario 3D World
PS Vita: Gravity Rush
NeoGeo AES: Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
XBox 360: Bayonetta

Sensi
Bayonetta is indeed some Japanese weirdness. Strange but tasty DMC feel. Can't remember the lass boss to be honest, but unfortunately the big fight with my ex-girlfriend when I completed the game at night. It's a shame you rember such negative things indeed of the positive ones.

Anyway, after 30 hours I'm close to the end of Tales of Destiny. Great RPG, really enjoying it. Great job Mojo, your challenge is really working isn't it? Which will be your next victim?

reelmojo
Yeah this challenge has made picking a new game to play more interesting. Although, now that I've finished a 360 game I'm left with a pretty big stack of games that I still want to play for it that may go on the back burner a bit until I get a little farther through the list. Bioshock, Dishonored, Dragon's Dogma, Deadly Premonition, Condemned 2, Rage, Gears of War 2, Asura's Wrath, Remember Me, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Alan Wake... I buy too many games!

I want to move on to some classics next since everything I've checked off other than the AES has been a modern system. I'm not sure what just yet though.

By the way, I like RPGs but I've never played a Tales game. Crazy, right? I have a friend who is crazy about Tales of Symphonia though, and I recently bought Tales of Xilia for really cheap so I'm sure it won't be long before I finally get into the series.

Sensi
Maybe you want to draw your next game , like a lottery, if you really haven't got inspiration which game to play Wink I recognize the feeling of this luxery problem.

You really should start off with a Tales game soon. Tales of Destiny is my third Tales game, after Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Legendia. Tales games aren't heavy RPG's; the real-time battle system is full of action and the battles are fun to play. The storyline isn't difficult to follow, so you can even play another short game beside it. Tonight I will finish it Smile

reelmojo
So much for going classic, unless you count a game first released 9 years ago as a classic... and even then I played the updated HD version.

I completed Shadow of the Colossus HD last night. My feelings on it are much more mixed than I expected them to be. While it definitely does have moments where it's utterly brilliant there are also some flaws that no one ever talks about online. For one, who decided to ship a game with that camera? And then not to update it for the HD version? I had more trouble wrestling with the camera than I did with any of the colossi! In a lesser game I would have just quit, but despite a horrible "trying to be cinematic but really just pointing in the wrong direction all the time" camera the game is still incredible and should be played by all.

I can see why The Last Guardian keeps getting delayed now. Why let an otherwise brilliant game be brought down by a few clumsy mistakes?

PS3: Shadow of the Colossus HD
PS4: Rezogun, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Infamous: Second Son
XBox 360: Bayonetta

EDIT (rather than double posting): Added three PS4 games to the list above. I decided to keep on comprehensive list of everything I finish this year rather than just the first one on each system. Might be interesting to look back on later.

Infamous: Second Son makes me very happy with my PS4 purchase. I'm currently going through my second play through (each Infamous game pretty much demands 2 play throughs) and I'm still loving every second of it. It's easily every bit as good as Infamous 2, possibly better.
Edited by reelmojo on 23. March 2014 19:42

Sensi
Shadow of the Colossus is a excellent choice and every gamer should play that game. It doesn't come close enough to the brilliance of ICO, but it's nevertheless a unique experience.
I watched the movie Reign Over Me last weekend and they used the game multiple times in it. Very cool!

I'm also enjoying inFamous on PS4! It's one of the reasons I didn't look much on the forum lately. I'm close to the end of my first playthrough. It's a typical inFamous game but it's got a nice, different touch. Have you already started playing the Paper Trail? I recommend it very much, it's a different way to experience a console game.

reelmojo
I just finished my second, evil play through so I'm going to do Paper Trail next. I did play through Cole's Legacy which was very short but really cool for fans of the first two games. Looking forward to Paper Trail and whatever else they end up adding to the game!

RiKo
Well done on completing so many challenges mojo!

I haven;t made much of a start on my challenge yet. So far I have played mono-Tetris on original Gameboy (via the 3DS) 4 times exactly. I've got 110 lines twice. Pretty crap, no where near my best score or the 200 line target!

One of my aims is to actually play Bayonetta which I've had since it came out! I've heard it's good though and you can be creative in it, which I like. Some of those games can feel a bit like you are flailing about so I hope t doesn't feel like that.

Sensi
Finished God of War: Ghost of Sparta last saturday. Just like Chains of Olympus a very, very impressive PSP title. It's like playing a PS2 GOW between your little hands, superb. Planning to play more PSP titles this year.

RiKo
My updates. I have reached 118 lines on original Tetris now (still quite poor), I got over 100 lines and was doing really well but someone came in and started talking to me and it turned out I couldn't play Tetris and talk at the same time.

I have played Crazy Taxi a couple times now in Original mode. (still a long way from mastering i!t) Slightly worryingly my Dreamcast had trouble streaming the level in a few times so I ended up with the other cars suspended above a crystal blue ocean. Beautiful...yet frustrating since I ran out of time. If my DC packs up I do have the 360 version but IMO it's not Crazy Taxi without KFC and Pizza Hut and those songs that all sound the same.

reelmojo
Adding just one new system to the list (3DS)... I am falling horribly behind!

Sega Genesis: Ristar
3DS: Sonic Generations
PS3: Shadow of the Colossus HD
PS4: Rezogun, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Infamous: Second Son, Infamous: First Light, The Last of Us Remastered
XBox 360: Bayonetta, Amazing Princess Sarah

For those who don't know, the 3DS version of Sonic Generations features completely different levels from the console versions. It's also quite a bit shorter and only includes side scrolling levels. Classic Sonic's levels don't have the crazy 3D camera movements making them feel more in line with Genesis Sonic games, and Modern Sonic's levels feel like a cross between the side scrolling parts of Sonic Colors and Sonic Rush. It's still a really fun game, but I'd be sorely disappointed if I could only play one version of the game and I was stuck with this one.

Oh, and I bought an Android phone which means one more system that I need to beat a game on! A lot of mobile games don't even have endings, so it's a bit like the Atari 2600 predicament. If I had to guess what I'll end up doing I'd say either Final Fantasy Dimensions or Badland.

(Also added in this update: Infamous: First Light, The Last of Us Remastered, and Amazing Princess Sarah)

EDIT: Added Ristar!
Edited by reelmojo on 06. September 2014 23:47

Sensi
After too many months not looking after the bucket list, it's easy falling behind.
Update, underlined ones done:

SNES – Secret of Mana
Nintendo 64 - Banjo Kazooie, Zelda Majora’s Mask
Gamecube – Paper Mario 2, Pikmin
Wii - Red Steel 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2
Gameboy Advance - Boktai
DS - Dragon Quest VI

Genesis – Gunstar Heroes
Sega CD - Snatcher
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon, Gunbird, Daytona USA, House of the Dead
Dreamcast – Bangai O

Playstation – Tales of Destiny
Playstation 2 – Odin Sphere
Playstation 3 – Infamous 2
Playstation 4 - Infamous: Second Son
PSP – God of War: Ghost of Sparta
PS Vita – Soul Sacrifice

XBox - Psychonauts
XBox 360 – Binary Domain

NeoGeo AES – KOF 94
NeoGeo MVS – Goal, Goal, Goal
NeoGeo Pocket Color – Pocket Tennis

PC - Gemini Rue

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon Quest VI is as a remake very well done, really enjoyed it.

reelmojo
You almost finished the entire Playstation family! I imagine Odin Sphere isn't a short game though.

I see you picked Snatcher as your Sega CD game. I'm actually playing through it right now and I have to say it's pretty amazing. It almost immediately sucks you into this very detailed sci-fi world and makes you want to learn everything there is to know about it. I'm not to far in but the storytelling has been fantastic so far.

I also started Zone of the Enders, so lot's of Kojima happening for me right now! It's fun, if a bit repetitive. I don't think it'll be long enough for the repetition to really be a problem though.

DarakuTenshi
Henke wrote:

Valis III down.
Not the greatest game but fun to actually play through once.

So frustrating right now, I'm on last boss on following games, but it just seems impossible to finish them. Arrgh Angry

Fantasy Zone
Silpheed
Virtua Tennis: World champion mode
GunHed

And FZ & GunHed are supposed to be quite easy ones, aren't they? :(

Aww... this makes me sad... I used to love Valis III on the Genesis. Trying to pick it up for the TG16.

Jump to Forum: