Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 4706
Thread Info
There are 44 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 16898 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Year's Challenge: Beat 1 game on every console you own.
reelmojo
Adding one new system, and surprisingly it's Android! I thought this one would be challenging since I'd have to find a good mobile game that actually has an ending, but then Square Enix was nice enough to start releasing Dragon Quest games in the US, so I've finally beaten the original Dragon Quest! Quite simplistic by today's standards, but it's great to witness the origins of a genre while having a few modern conveniences thrown in (quick save is a godsend!). Being an RPG it controls beautifully on a phone too, so no worries there.

Sega Genesis: Ristar
Gamecube: P.N.03
Wii: Sonic and the Black Knight
Wii U: Super Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors
3DS: Sonic Generations, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, Smash Bros.
PS1: Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
PS3: Shadow of the Colossus HD
PS4: Rezogun, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Infamous: Second Son, Infamous: First Light, The Last of Us Remastered
PS Vita: Gravity Rush
NeoGeo AES: Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
XBox 360: Bayonetta, Amazing Princess Sarah
Android: Dragon Quest

Also added Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, Smash Bros. for 3DS, and Hyrule Warriors. It's been a very Nintendo couple of weeks. I'm currently on vacation from work and I don't plan on going anywhere major so hopefully I'll be able to add quite a few more games to the list soon.

EDIT: Added the Gamecube! I beat P.N.03 today. I had played it before but never finished it for some reason. It's honestly not one I'd recommend. It has it's high points, but it definitely needed another six months or so of development. I guess Shinji Mikami was too busy with Resident Evil 4 at the time to really focus on this.

EDIT 2: This vacation is all about games! I added PS1 and Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. Not the best example of a 32-bit RPG but the story kept me interested throughout.
Edited by reelmojo on 15. October 2014 17:42

reelmojo
Okay, so now that it's December it is safe to say that this challenge has defeated me. I'm happy I tried it though! I played some games that I may not have taken the time to finish otherwise, and that's definitely a good thing. But as 2014 winds down, I have to think about what Wonderboy said:

A good game is like a fine bottle of wine; it should not be finished in haste, but enjoyed entirely in due time. How long is that? Well, it is as long as it takes

If I hurried through and tried to finish as many games as I could this month I would almost definitely find a few games that I wouldn't spend as much time with as they deserve. I could probably finish it if I purposefully chose games that I know are really short (ie: as many fighting games as possible), but that wasn't the point of this whole thing so I won't be doing that.

With 2014 coming to a close, is anyone else closer to completing their challenge than I was?

Sensi
You're right Mojo. But in the end the list helped you playing the games you should play. And that matters. In the end your list is impressive, did you finish all the games you mentioned?

For upcoming 2015 I will make a new list, maybe with some 2014 games.
2014 was for me a year with a lot of completed PC adventures, though not with any intention. Next year will be the year of the '3'. Mass Effect 3, Fable 3, Resistance 3...finally completing game series of the last generation.

Henke
reelmojo wrote:
With 2014 coming to a close, is anyone else closer to completing their challenge than I was?

No, sadly not. Haven't even tried much lately. I've been focusing on collecting Sega Mark III stuff and played a lot of games, but not the ones on my list.
My list is pretty small compared to yours, but I think I'll have to make a even smaller list for next year. I'll probably keep some from this years, but some of them I fell like I'm done with, even if I didn't played them to the end.
Virtua Tennis is probably one game I'll write off. I love the game and it's fun to play through the arcade mode, but I have absolutely no energy to beat that last irritating, frustrating opponent in World Circuit mode.

Jump to Forum: