Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 4695
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7642 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Anyone got a Playstation 4 or Xbox One yet?
RiKo
Just wondering if anyone here has bought an Playstation 4 or Xbox One yet or even just played on one? What do you think?
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Sensi
I have bought PS4 by launch (29 november, Killzone bundel, extra controller, camera etc.) and the console is still sold out here in The Netherlands.

The console is great, because you can feel it's made for being a gaming console and not a entertainment system. After I finished Killzone single player and Contrast (Playstation Plus game) I haven't played on it. But I will start soon with Resogun (very nice shoot 'm up) and will check out the Playstation Plus content which will be available.

It may have a slow start with not many killer games, but the price wasn't to steep for me to purchase it. And with Playstation Plus it's a great combo!
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg

RiKo
Thanks for the reply Sensi. Congratulations on your new console. Joe

If I was buying a console now (and I am a 360 owner currently) I think I would also go for a PS4, just for it's future potential if nothing else - powerful *and* easy to develop for and it will get a lot of developers making games for it. It's still early days though.

What do you think of the graphics compared to the current gen? is there a big difference? I heard Killzone is one of the best looking titles. Also what do you think of the new PS4 pad?

Supergrafx
I have been lucky enough to be given both consoles as my birthday and christmas are not that far apart. At the moment i am as disapointed with both consoles as i was with the Wii U last christmas. No "must have" launch games is really piss poor from a marketing point of view as well as a game players. Killzone on the PS4 and Forza on the XBOX one look fantastic but don't grab me by the nuts and make me want to spend shitloads of time playing them.Not games i would normally buy but the choice was extremely limited.Hopefully this will change and something i can get excited about will be released in the near future.

I can't even remember the last time i checked what was coming out for the Wii U.I think on the console front Nintendo are following Sega and will perhaps be a games only company very soon.

RiKo
supergrafx wrote :- I have been lucky enough to be given both consoles as my birthday and christmas are not that far apart

both?? You are a lucky guy supergrafx. I thought that about the launch games, to me the current gen is still a lot better, and will be for a while. They were originally trailing games like Watch Dogs and Titanfall, and those are both some way off as I understand it.

If you have one though shiny new console is always an exciting new thing to play with! When you look back on the launch games for PS3 or 360 they probably weren't that good either. Although I can't really remember them now except for Perfect Dark Zero which certainly wasn't the best.

Sensi
RiKo wrote:

Thanks for the reply Sensi. Congratulations on your new console. Joe

If I was buying a console now (and I am a 360 owner currently) I think I would also go for a PS4, just for it's future potential if nothing else - powerful *and* easy to develop for and it will get a lot of developers making games for it. It's still early days though.

What do you think of the graphics compared to the current gen? is there a big difference? I heard Killzone is one of the best looking titles. Also what do you think of the new PS4 pad?

Thanks.
The graphics aren't a huge improvement. I didn't expect it, they are just launch titles. But some games are really eager to show their lightning effects (Killzone, Contrast, Resogun etc.). It made me think back about the PS2 launchers Fantavision (one forgotten game!) and Wipeout (PSX). Showing lighting effects, it's always the case with launching games I guess.

The PS4 controller is great and a very nice improvement compared to the PS3 pad, even though I liked the PS3 one. Especially the triggers are improved and it's a little bit heavier then PS3. Touchpad works like a charm and the light at the back is just cool Smile
When you get hit in Killzone, the light turns from green to orange, and if critical to red.
I have little hands and the controller feels comfortable, even after some hours.
People with bigger hands gave positive feedbacks on a Dutch forum, so I presume the controller is better then the previous one.

Riko, when are you planning to buy a PS4?

reelmojo
I'm planning on buying a PS4 in a couple of months before Infamous: Second Son comes out. Like Sensi I already have Playstation Plus so it'll come with a handful of free games too, which is always good. I recently bought a Vita and I'm suddenly overwhelmed by the amount of free games I have to play just from my PS+ backlog (currently really enjoying Gravity Rush).

I do love my WiiU too. Super Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost Worlds, and Rayman Legends are all amazing games so if you like platformers it's already a great console. The WiiU is set to really take off this year since Nintendo said 2013 was focused more on casual and family games and in 2014 they're going to focus more on core gamers. We've already seen the announcement of a crazy new Zelda spin-off which looks awesome, but I imagine at (or near) E3 anyone who doesn't see a reason to own a WiiU is going to be given a reason to change their mind.

XBox One I'm not worried about getting just yet. It'll have exclusives that I really want to play, rest assured. They're just not quite here yet, or at least not enough of them are. I'd love to get my hands on Crimson Dragon though.

Riko, as far as launch games from last gen go, don't forget about Kameo! I think it's one of Rare's best games. Shame what Microsoft did to them.

Sensi
Driveclub and Infamous are the PS4 titles most of the people are looking forward to. I will get Infamous at launch, but before that I have to begin and finish Infamous II still.
Funny, a few years ago Infamous (I) wasn't that popular. If I remember correctly it was released at the same as Prototype, a similar game. Infamous is now one of the most important game (for Sony and public) to come.

I enjoyed Gravity Rush too Mojo. Are you getting used to the camera? Some challenges are really tough, but just keep trying. Japan Studio is a talented developer, I'm playing a other game of them right now (Soul Sacrifice).

reelmojo
I highly recommend Infamous 2! The gameplay blows the original away in every category, and I loved the original. The setting is also awesome. New Marais is clearly supposed to be New Orleans which is a very unique city that no other game (that I know of) has used as a backdrop. The story isn't quite as great as the first one, but it's still good.

The camera is Gravity Rush isn't bothering me at all. Then again, I played Descent as a kid so I'm sure that gave me a high tolerance for getting turned upside down in 3D games. I'm looking forward to trying Soul Sacrifice as well.
Edited by reelmojo on 04. January 2014 22:47

SteveDave
Picked up a PS4 at launch, absolutely no complaints about the system itself whatsoever.
I am ready for some new releases. Killzone really shows it off, but it wasn't a mind-blowing experience for me overall. Resogun is the best bang for the buck hands down. Absolute must have if you own/plan on owning a PS4. I am addicted…platinum trophy, extremely late night high score run addicted. Going to give Thief a look when it's released too.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

RiKo
Thanks for all the input, pleased to hear all you guys are enjoying your new consoles. Xbox One's yet though! (supergrafx excepted)

Riko, when are you planning to buy a PS4?

Not for 6 months to a year probably. I'm happy with current gen at the moment. So many great games still to play like Dark Souls, Bioshock and GTA5, and Sonic Racing Transformed. I normally cave-in though when some really great game comes along that everyone is talking about.

Riko, as far as launch games from last gen go, don't forget about Kameo! I think it's one of Rare's best games. Shame what Microsoft did to them.

Yes I do remember that now, kind of strange because it went from Gamecube to Xbox 1 and then eventually ended up getting released on Xbox 360. I did hear that was quite good. Maybe I should add that to my list!

STE C
Got my PS4 at launch and despite not 1 killer game ive enjoyed Ghosts, Battlefield 4 but not been impressed with Killzone ( which I took back to Asda and swapped, as I was expecting 60frs although I will maybe pick it up if its cheap later in year. As a console I agree it feels like a real gamers console and I have high hopes for it.

Oh if anybody is curious about a game but is frightened of buying it in case in sucks( studio's don't seem to give us demo's anymore to find out) then buy it from Asda as Ive got away with taking 2 games back I dident like ( Assasins Creed 4 + Killzone PS4 ) after playing them and customer services ( not entertainment counter) let me swap or refund even with plastic off no arguments if you are firm. I said my wife bought Killzone by mistake s our son is only 4 and the games 15/18 cert, I simply said Ass Creed 4 was faulty and I did not require new copy. Not sure if all Asda's are so lenient but the staff seem to be trained to smile and refund whatever the case.

I know its a bit naughty but better than been stuck with £90 worth of games I dident want. Asda are a good £3-7 quid cheaper than Game as well on PS4 titles, not that I would give Game my money mind.

DarakuTenshi
I too plan on buying both systems at some point... but, the problem is I'm a gamer who usually buys every console at launch. This time around I just didn't feel compelled to buy either system. I had the X1 reserved and paid for, but pulled my reserve a couple weeks before launch and decided to put that money into the cab I was building.

I have not been interested in very many games and I have been worried about how things were going to play out this time around. The strange thing is ever since the 2600 I have always been excited about the new console releases, this time around it's been just "ho-hum" feeling. I miss the days when I was wowed by the new consoles.

So... my guess is I wont be getting either system for a couple years.

RiKo
STE wrote :- not been impressed with Killzone ( which I took back to Asda and swapped, as I was expecting 60frs although I will maybe pick it up if its cheap later in year.

they do that a lot in games - they can get twice as much graphical detail in by lowering the frame rate to 30 fps because the console has twice as much time to draw each frame then. People usually notice the look of the graphics before the frame rate. I wish all games were 60 fps like back in the SNES/MD days. It's time they were really!

Neorebel
No. I will wait until there is a good established library of games and a price drop. Prob will go PS4, never been a big MS fan, however... New KI

candycab
No interest in any games on it at the moment and not really interested in it otherwise ( not that people are buying for other "Features" ? just no interest exploring them yet ) I will give it some time for titles I actually want to play to hit the market then grab one.

I have a lot of great stuff on the PS3 to get too that I will be playing forever at the rate Im going Smile
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NeoGeoNinja
I didn't get anywhere near as much out of my PS3 (or 360 before it) as I have from previous generations, whether it be differences to my lifestyle over the years, a change of interest in the types of games that interest me or indeed, a change of focus from developers on the types of games and experiences THEY primarily brought to the table last gen - vs me.

As such, I have no future plans as yet to own either console. I can never say never as I originally had ZERO plans to own a 360 or PS3, but shit happened (SF4, RE5, GOWIII & Yakuza 3 to mention a few) and I ended up being pulled in eventually.

I don't want to say that this couldn't possibly happen again, however, the prospect of NO backwards compatibility for any of my software - physical or digital - does deter me, as I'm not a 'sell up and move on' gamer. PS2 to PS3 was more acceptable in this regard due to the dramatic shift to a new media format and being HD format centric throughout (i.e. more suited to my living room set-up as opposed to my CRT centric games room) but less so from PS3 to PS4 for me.

I have played a little on both consoles and was left feeling indifferent by both, overall.

The one thing that really irked my anti-MS bias is that out of the two consoles, the physical look and titles available at launch for the XB1 appealed to me more - having Killer Instinct, Forza 5 and Crimson Dragon available there and then. By contrast, only the usual titles appealed to me on PS4 which were also available on XB1 (Ghosts & BF4).

I was also one of the few that was perhaps left a little underwhelmed by the revelation that is supposedly the PS4 controller. Coming from someone that was perfectly happy with the DS3, the DS4 to me felt simply like a redesign and an 'improvement' on the whole, but not this huge, massive deal it's been made out to be, just because Sony tightened up the sticks a bit, added those retarded concave anti-ergonomics to the tops of the sticks like the 360 had (which have never made sense) and improved the trigger responsiveness too. Better than the DS3?: Yes. On the scale to which it has been disproportionately blown left, right and centre?: No. The real test for me, as always (call me old fashioned), will be when I have to call in the standard controller for Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Street Fighter and KOF duties etc. Somewhere the PS3 controller faired well at and the 360 controller failed horribly at. Incidentally...

The XB1 controller. Seemingly massively overlooked, however, I managed to get hands on with one whilst playing through the training mode of KI using Jago a couple of weeks back.

Regardless of what you may or may not have heard, that Dpad IS good. I was taken back. Whilst the game loaded (I was in a MicroSoft store, err... in Orlando) I stood there doing my usual input motions on the Dpad and was frankly shocked by the feeling of responsiveness and feedback the Dpad offered, even whilst not playing anything. It has that nice clicky input sensation of the likes of some of Nintendo's more recent dpads or, even, the NGPC stick. And, sure enough, this all came to fruition whilst trying to execute some of the harder combo's Jago had on offer in the combo's trial mode. The pad, just didn't falter. I was a bit shocked and speechless, especially as I have heard NOTHING at all about these improvements. It's always interesting how such things fall by the wayside as being unimportant as Sony are the now favourable bet this console generation.

Not that I EVER saw it any other way from the PS3 launch going forward. It's that typical wanker thing to say that PPL dislike, but even back in 07/08, I always had a strong inclination that Sony would come good in the end. Here's hoping they don't blow their 2nd chance.

-

Incidentally, The PS3 had MotorStorm, Virtua Fighter 5 and Ridge Racer 7 on launch, which for me, was quite significant vs what the 360 (quite frankly) didn't launch with day one. The 360's first two most significant titles (imo) Bioshock and Gears 1 didn't launch until a whole year later. Yes, the 360 got VF5 (w/online) and RR6 after launch, but we ARE specifically discussing launch titles here.

Motorstorm back in 07 was and STILL IS one of the only true next generation racing titles out there available today. Not one developer since has even tried to push the boundaries or concept of what a racing game could well be since that series - multiple classes of vehicles, all equally balanced, racing through amazing, lush environments in a perfectly balanced fashion thanks to the amazing track design and overall concept. A tough racing game with easy pick up and play controls which is somewhat punishing and hard to master yet very rewarding to play.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift just pushed all of these qualities even FURTHER.

By contrast, everyone else was just doing what had gone before. Burnout Paradise 'did' a Midnight Club (PS2 era). Need for Speed and Forza did their usual thing too. The likes of Split Second and BLUR tried some interesting things, but sadly fell flat for different reasons (I can elaborate if you want?). The only other genre pushing racer of any note this gen was Test Drive Unlimited on 360. Shame the much awaited sequel was terrible!

As RiKo mentioned, Sonic Racing Transformed was spectacular and, by far, the best novelty 'kart' racer to date. And, I've played a preview build of MK8 for WiiU and I still feel the same way. SASAR2:T is/was just phenomenal. I was completely obsessed with it last Xmas and I annihilated it in the process!

Sorry for going off topic... Zip It
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

RiKo
NeoGeoNinja wrote :- Regardless of what you may or may not have heard, that Dpad IS good.

You can thank Nintendo a little for that, their patent on the cross d-pad finally ran out in 2005. So no one has to make stupid shaped or raised D-pads anymore to get around it. All I'm saying that if it was MS or Sony who had patented the best d-pad design they would have recieved hate upon hate upon hate. Can you imagine?

Slightly off-topic but I can remember the Amiga CD32 failing partly (besides it being sh*t) because of a patent violation. It infringed a patent on a blinking cursor!
http://xcssa.org/...02587.html

Atari also made lots of patents foor things like 'scrolling games' in the early days. They also got Sega on a patent infringment (the megadrive pad used atari joystick connection sockets?) and part of the settlement was that Atari could make Sega games for the Jaguar. Although Sonic wasn't part of the deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still want Motorstorm. Actually I would rather get a PS3 than a PS4 at this moment in time, some great games and cheap! I want to play Last of Us too. I'm still not really interested in the Uncharted games though I might give them a try.

reelmojo
As someone who started this generation loving my 360 and being bored by what the PS3 had to offer, I highly recommend picking up a PS3 now. I still feel like a few years ago Microsoft was definitely winning by a landslide, but things definitely took a change over the last few years and Sony's offerings have been fantastic across the board. It's my favorite console of the generation now.

And Ninja, maybe the XB1's d-pad being good wasn't big news because Microsoft actually fixed the d-pad on the newer 360 controllers too. I haven't used it myself but I hear it's pretty great. Of course, by the time it came out most fighting game players who played on a 360 probably already had a suitable controller to use so they didn't really need it either (I use one of the SFIV pads).

Sensi
reelmojo wrote:

As someone who started this generation loving my 360 and being bored by what the PS3 had to offer, I highly recommend picking up a PS3 now. I still feel like a few years ago Microsoft was definitely winning by a landslide, but things definitely took a change over the last few years and Sony's offerings have been fantastic across the board. It's my favorite console of the generation now.

Just like the original Xbox, Microsoft just dropped the 360, even before X1 was announced.
It's ridiculous and anything but loyal to your own fanbase. Sony has a great reputation of releasing superb titles in the last years of a dying Playstation. Their consoles goes out in a bang.

Jump to Forum: