Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 4693
Thread Info
There are 12 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3322 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
2013 HOW WAS IT FOR YOU
STE C
Once again legendary threads return for annual posting. Same routine the good the bad and why.

The bad

Continue to suffer from a condition called health anxiety which makes me hard to live with at times and making frequent trips to the doctors. Seen close people die from awful diseases in the past may be a factor but I plan to get a grip on it. Had 2 rare disease's in 2012 whilst not serious have affected my state of mind.

Not a classic year at all for gaming, Lost Planet 3, Crysis 3, COD Ghosts being very average games.

Worst games launch line up ever with PS4/XBO1 , not any must have games at all.

Starting to get sick of job due to me having worked in retail for so long and finding general public are becoming ruder and more inconsiderate.

Went a bit off the rails during the summer thinking I was 28 not 38, putting my marriage in jeopardy and briefly falling into old habits ( gladly back on planet earth and no damage done).

Blowing £400 on lapdancers when on night out in Leeds for birthday.

Making friends with a adorable pup my folks were fostering only for her to die due to kidney failure.

Grandfather dying ( although he was 98 ) .

Experiencing more aches n pains & general awareness of body aging.

THE GOOD

Blowing £400 on lapdancers when on night out in Leeds for birthday.

Having a great wife who stuck by me during a difficult year.

Getting my PS4 and despite no decent games I feel very optimistic about it capabilities and future.

Spending a few days at a Buddhist retreat in Scotland and making a new friend.

Getting 6 new tattoos ( which I may regret one day).

New albums by Suede & Nine Inch Nails turned out great.

Loved new Tomb Raider, Sonic Racing Transformed, Gears Judgement, Remember Me.

Sturmwind on Dreamcast very nice.

Yu Suzuki saying he wants to make Shenmue 3 if he can get license off Sega and get funding.

LIFE_IN_2D
The bad:

* Been working a lot.
* Broke up with a girlfriend.
* Spent too much money on gaming this year, expanding my AES and MVS collections.

The Good
* I am not unemployed, have a good job.
* Am currently dating a woman who gives me less grief than the one I broke up with.
* My AES and MVS collections were expanded.

Smile
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

SteveDave
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:

The bad:

* Been working a lot.
* Broke up with a girlfriend.
* Spent too much money on gaming this year, expanding my AES and MVS collections.

The Good
* I am not unemployed, have a good job.
* Am currently dating a woman who gives me less grief than the one I broke up with.
* My AES and MVS collections were expanded.

Smile

That pretty much sums up my year, except the "dating a woman who gives me less grief" part.

Oh yeah, I upgraded my wheels. Got a good deal on a Subaru, I was very happy about that Grin
img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/kof-13-logo-1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/GenAn/userstevedave.png

img814.imageshack.us/img814/6951/44988.gif

cthulhu
Pretty good for once. Found and bought some great Arcade (especially Ketsui, Armed Police Batrider, Splatterhouse, Espgaluda II and Mushihimesama), Megadrive, PC Engine and PS3 games, got a new tattoo, had a nice relaxing vacation in Menorca, had a great time at Neurotic Deathfest in Tilburg...overall a pretty good year for me.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

Murikov
STE C, thanks for resurrecting once more this legendary thread - in fact it's not self-evident to make one's personal status public. But even then, NSA already knows it all. Smile

However, my summary:

The Good:

- A pretty good job which helped me to save quite some dough.
- An awesome Interrail trip through Europe in July.
- More improvements in social interaction - makes life more enjoyable by any means.
- Another 3 weeks of military service in November - it was fun after all!
- Discovered a few great games (System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Gemini Rue, etc.)

The Bad:

- Got an attack of bronchitis in June - almost had to cancel the Interrail trip. Makes one realize how important health is.
- Nothing really new Neo Geo-wise.
- Got lazier this year, despite my Kung Fu training.

The Ugly:

- Still no girlfriend.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Supergrafx
All in all 2013 was a pretty good year for me.

The good:

-Managed to finally quit smoking after many attempts.
-Had lots of extra money to spend on games as a result of not buying cigarettes.
-Learned some valuable skills that enables me to do repairs and wiring on my arcade machines.
-Still have an understanding wife/partner that allows me to indulge all my video game habits.
-Completed both my Atari Jaguar and 3DO collections.
-Managing to find the elusive NeoGeoNinja and renew our friendship.

The bad:

-Got offered my dream job of teaching trade skills to young filipinos in the Philippines but had to decline it for reasons in the ugly section below.
-Having my son go off the rails yet again due to a very long term drug problem.
-Not finding the time to post here much if at all.

The ugly:
-Finding out that the majority of Asian countries eat dogs.
-Going on a tour to Batangas in the Philippines to see where i'll be living and teaching only to walk down a street with shop stalls having cooked dog carcasses hanging outside them.

RiKo
The Good

- I did a lot of things that scared me this year and had a lot to cope with, so can only be proud of myself.
- Pretty much don't need any more video games ever! since I already have so many I haven't played. Happy with my NeoGeo collection and have probably only bought 4 or 5 games in total this year.
-Put on a lot of weight (I lost a lot through a bad illness a few years ago but could never put it back on until now)
-Got a little better at SSFIV
-Finally got top score on Zarch high score table. Whoop!

The Bad

- My mother and my aunt both died:( and just to make things even worse one of my best friends left to live in another country!
-Really ill and completely exhausted right now, probably going to miss Xmas day + also too exhausted to play video games.
-Still allergic to alcohol but maybe that's a good thing?
- Have had so many fillings done that the dentist has stopped charging me (I'm serious). Actually had one done today after a piece of tooth broke off while eating a toasted sandwich.
- The new consoles, think they will be 'good' next year but not impressed yet.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
Supergrafx, dude I totally get why you dident go, Im a dog lover and that sight would sicken me. I hate the way foreign culture's treat animals but sadly this wont change as its normal to them. Still its utterly disgusting and one reason why I struggle to understand different beliefs and customs. cruelty to dogs is the lowest form of human existence.

Riko , glad to hear you got some weight back on and I wish you all the best and improved health for 2014.

Supergrafx
[quote]STE C wrote:

Supergrafx, dude I totally get why you dident go, Im a dog lover and that sight would sicken me. I hate the way foreign culture's treat animals but sadly this wont change as its normal to them. Still its utterly disgusting and one reason why I struggle to understand different beliefs and customs. cruelty to dogs is the lowest form of human existence.

So good to see you back here STE C as it saves me hunting you down like i did with the resident ninja. Hope to see you in chat sometime for some verbal sparring as ever since Merlin and LIFE_IN_2D came out of the closet then confessed they are both hardcore gay men, chat hasn't been the same. Being straight as an arrow myself i find it difficult to get a conversation going with a couple of vegemite valley bandits.

That sight not only sickened me STE C, it changed my whole perception of asian people in general except for the Japanese who don't eat dogs or cats but eat dolphins and whales instead which is apparently okay as long as they keep making good cars and great video games. Thailand is the worst of the dog eating countries as they torture the dog before killing it, somehow this gives the dogs flesh some kind of power. Given that the going price for a single dog in Thailand could get you 70 chickens instead totally baffles me as to why they would prefer to eat dog. The price for a dog doubles if it is unlucky enough to be black as black dogs are thought to have the most power in their flesh.

shion
Iím just going to keep this video game/technology related, unless you all are just so eager to hear about my debauchery and social side. Grin

Hardware
iPad Mini
iPod Touch 5G (exchanged a 4G for it)
Bluetooth gamepad for iPod
ĎInvisible driveí for my Macbook Air
New printer
Parrot AR Drone 2.0
Custom arcade stick

Software
OS 10 Mavericks
iOS 7
Crossover 13 (Windows emulator)
Gunlord (Dreamcast)
Battle Kid 2 (NES)
Bioshock Infinite and Arkham City (Mac)
Various games for DC, NES, Mac and iOS

Battle Kid 2 is awesome. In retrospect, I really wish I had saved my money and gotten Sturmwind instead of Gunlord. I also got several various games for these consoles on the cheap. It blows my mind the people behind Bioshock and Arkham prefer the player to use the keyboard. I recommend getting the 5G over 4G to anyone looking into a Touch. (Noticeable improvements in the latter) I was able to jailbreak the device and use my favorite emulators on it! These emulators now have netplay features thanks to Robert Broglia. The best visual comparison of the bluetooth pad/iPod setup is the DS (but just with a screen on top). I modded a MAS Super Pro Stick to be USB compatible ó that was a big self accomplishment. What prompted me to go custom is I was frustrated with all the Asian style fight sticks available, and opted for something more suited for general Western arcade gaming. I really want to skeet shoot that old Lexmark thatís been grieving me for the past few years!

Since Iíve got a nice little part-time job now (the book selling didnít work out like Iíd thought), I donít have as much time to do reviews on Gamefaqs. I miss doing those, especially for NES and MD games. However, I am happy to say I reached over fifty reviews this year (combined), and they are all available on the site: http://www.gamefa...ns/reviews
I am also waiting to be published here, as Iím sure a couple others have been assured. Smile No big deal if there is a delay or change of mind, but it would be nice to get some exposureÖ

At one point I had three Dreamcast consoles. Since I have been using only one for well over a year, I donated the other two to charity, along with some pads and games. I kept the ĎMade in Japaní Dreamcast, heh. I hope Iíve introduced someone to the marvels of Sega arcade gaming. Smile

On the downside, Apple quality is starting to noticeably slip. The operating system is getting filled with useless features IMO. The addition of these extra features, I suppose, is causing occasional bugginess ó 90% of the time itís just lag, but still. Maybe itís just the crappy Intel GPU, I donít know. Service at the Apple Store is bad. Theyíre getting greedy and careless: my charger is about a year old and the coating (of the cord) is starting to spontaneously fall off. I took it to the Store twice, and the Geniuses weaseled out of replacing the product. The best they could do is a 20% discount for a new charger. Although Mavericks (OS 10.9.0) was free to upgrade, Apple has recently acknowledged the new system is ruining batteries of Macbooks. The Stores are out of battery supplies and I was told to just wait until next year for a solution. I could go on and on: jailbreak for iOS 7 is indefinite. :(

Lastly, I had to scrap my iCade because a fuse on the PCB board blew and couldnít be repaired. I gutted the thing and use it for spare parts.

Thatís about it. Smile

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
LIFE_IN_2D
Tobalman wrote:

Iím just going to keep this video game/technology related, unless you all are just so eager to hear about my debauchery and social side. Grin

Sure, it's always good to hear how fellow member's REAL lives are going.

Also, congrats on the MAS stick modding. I have a soft spot for HAP sticks too, even if I actually play better with an octo-gate/ball-top style stick.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

merlin
Supergrafx wrote:
So good to see you back here STE C as it saves me hunting you down like i did with the resident ninja. Hope to see you in chat sometime for some verbal sparring as ever since Merlin and LIFE_IN_2D came out of the closet then confessed they are both hardcore gay men, chat hasn't been the same. Being straight as an arrow myself i find it difficult to get a conversation going with a couple of vegemite valley bandits.

LOLLOL

Interesting to read about how everyone's year was. I like how STE C put the lapdancing in both good and bad categories!

Sounds like some of you have had a pretty bad year. I hope 2014 will be much better for you.

Despite a few small health issues I'd say 2013 was overall a very good year for me.

The Good:

Making five trips to a country in Asia to meet a certain person was an amazing experience and a dream come true for me. I made a few good friends in the process too. On the first trip in April I also went to the final two Ebisu Muscats concerts before they disbanded. Was really nice to meet all the members after each concert.

Had a very nice holiday in Lanzarote in May with my brother, his wife and my two nephews. Great to meet up with a few friends of mine who live out there and who I hadn't seen for quite a few years.

I bought three telescopes and spent many hours observing the night sky. I'm so glad I took up this hobby and wish I had started it sooner. The views of the moon, Saturn, Jupiter, Venus, Pleiades, Orion Nebula, Albireo etc. were incredible.

I spent many enjoyable hours in arcades this year while on holiday. Most of the time I was playing Knights of the Round, Roosters, The King of Dragons, Carrier Air Wing and Varth.

Managed to lose some weight.

The Bad:

I had a few small health problems. Nothing too serious really. I had Laryngitis earlier in the year and from the start of October have had Cellulitis. The latter is an ongoing problem. The medication I'm taking doesn't seem to be having much effect.

Jump to Forum: