Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: DarakuTenshi
Thread ID: 4636
Thread Info
There are 31 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7548 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Need some ideas for my Hyperspin Cab
DarakuTenshi
Hey guys, I know that some of you are not into this sort of thing. Anyway... I'm at a loss now as to what theme to use for the cab itself.

I have had a couple ideas but none of them have stuck or quite looked right.

My cab is a slim design of the Mortal Kombat/Killer Instinct cabinet.

So, initially I was going to do a MK theme, but I don't want to design it after just one game. I also thought about using my forum namesake Daraku Tenshi, but since I got that also from a video game so I may or may not do that still. I also had the idea to do a Dream Arcade theme, but now that I know there is a company that builds cabs called Dream Arcade I don't know if I want to go that route.

The last one came from an idea from this poster that I drew:
scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/553447_4500643428568_1921123752_n.jpg

I also had this idea but gave it to my brother as I've been drawing the graphics for his cab too.
scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q77/s720x720/1377614_10201319044790464_2064542006_n.jpg

I guess the last idea I had was to base the cabinet off of Aladdin's Castle since that was the arcade where I spent most of my youth...

I'm just having a hard time deciding on a theme to go with and not getting anywhere as to how to execute my own cab. Any other ideas from you guys?

reelmojo
Personally I'd like to have a cab with artwork that is an amalgamation of a bunch of games. But rather than just pasting a bunch of characters together I'd want it to be clever, or somehow more interesting to look at than just a bunch of characters from my favorite games posing for a picture together. Something like this:

i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/reelmojo/chomp_zps92236ef0.jpg

Of course, several of those characters aren't from arcade games and perhaps using something meant to be comical is ill advised seeing as how you'll be looking at the same art everyday so the comedy will lose its luster.

If you're going to theme it after one game going with Daraku Tenshi is a great idea. Not only is it your online namesake but the art style in that game is incredible.

DarakuTenshi
Yeah, I keep coming back to Daraku Tenshi as well. I had the idea of the montage of many characters, but for some reason I've never been able to fully support that in my own head.

DarakuTenshi
Well, I've been putting together a mock of what I want the cab to look like and here is the current state. I think I rather like what I see so far.
imageshack.com/a/img600/8361/w0un.png

reelmojo
Yeah... that really just makes me want a dedicated Daraku Tenshi cab!

Looks pretty sweet.

DarakuTenshi
Now that I've discovered a new method to make the original artwork look better when I blow it up to size I'm going to have to redo the artwork for the marquee as well as the side art. But, I'm alright with that because the end product is going to look amazing.

I've finished the control panel and here is the final mock up.
imageshack.com/a/img812/6058/eg4m.png

cthulhu
That looks quite nice, but I personally don't like the brown. Probably because I have a preference for Candy Cabs which are almost always very light in color and woodies always seem to be dark in color. Would be nice to see a woody in white or light grey, it would also look great with the Daraku Tenshi artwork. Either way, I think it's going to be a very nice looking cab.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

DarakuTenshi
I don't want white because it picks up dirt and scuffs easily. Besides brown is one of my favorite colors. But not sure what you mean by daraku tenshi art because I have it in the side, marquee, and control panel. Though you can't see it in the photo on the CP. now if you meant the Kanji I've not been able to reproduce the logo properly so I'm using caligraphy in its place.

(Oh, as a side note for some reason I could never stand Candy Cabs. It's strange because I prefer the larger American style of cabs).

cthulhu
It's certainly true that white isn't the best color for a cab for the reasons you mentioned (my cabs really need cleaning...), it's probably the reason why woodies are normally dark in color. What I meant with Daraku Tenshi artwork is the artwork that came with the original PCB, it was white and it looked great that way (I'm not saying that your artwork doesn't look great, because it does). Brown even though it's far from my personal taste, does fit the game quite nicely...a lot of the stages are a bit brownish and dull colored, which gives the game it's own unique atmosphere.
I love candy cabs because they're light in color so they fit in quite nicely in my home and they are sit down...I'm quite lazy. I do love the look of a lot of woodies standing next to each other,it takes me back to the few times I've been to an arcade in the past (sadly they've been extinct for a long time now where I live).
Good luck with the build and I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.
My arcade stuff

DarakuTenshi
Ah, I see what you mean. Well the manual itself has just Haiji on the cover. But then the game play cards have somewhat of a more generic look to them. I have scans of them which I plan on using on the bezel.

As for the sit down part... yeah I've always used bar stools for my old cabinet and I plan on doing the same for this one.
Edited by DarakuTenshi on 29. October 2013 21:09

RiKo
I think your cabinet deisgn looks awesome Daraku Thumbs Up I am a bit colourblind so feel free not to take colour-advice from me but if you want to get away from the brown, maybe you could go with a dark purple or dark blue with the black.

3.bp.blogspot.com/-JSQkXRim3PU/T8mNQi49VvI/AAAAAAAACCg/J1I-IP-aZKQ/s1600/Abstract+Black+Purple.jpg
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
DarakuTenshi
The brown is to go with the theme of the game. It has a very dark and gloomy atmosphere.

Here is a better look at the art:
imageshack.com/a/img854/6225/qjet.png

I'm thinking about putting Roche or another character on the other side of the machine rather than it being the same on both sides.

cthulhu
DarakuTenshi wrote:
I'm thinking about putting Roche or another character on the other side of the machine rather than it being the same on both sides.

That's a good idea...two different pieces of side art in my opinion means a more interesting cab to look at.
My arcade stuff

merlin
I think it's a good move going for a Daraku Tenshi themed cab Daraku. The artwork looks
very good. I think it would be worth posting this over at the Daraku forum but perhaps you will do that when it's finished. Good luck with the project.

I found Daraku in an arcade about a week ago. It's so rare to find it in the wild these days. Unfortunately no-one challenged me so I had to make do with playing against the cpu.

DarakuTenshi
First of all let me ask, how lucky are you? You should have snapped a picture of that stuff. I've always wanted to find one in the wild, but I know that chances of that happening are very slim considering how many arcades that are left in the world.

Yeah, I do plan on posting it at some point.

merlin
To be honest I already knew Daraku was in that arcade since I found it there in August but was pleased to see it was still there when I went back about a week ago. Yes it was very lucky to find Daraku in the wild. Here's a photo I took in August:

http://i557.photo...1bb2dc.jpg

This is the arcade which has the game:

http://www.mmcafe...ara.html#4

I'll be interested to see your cab when it's finished Daraku.

DarakuTenshi
So jealous:(

Oh yeah, I'll keep it posted.

merlin
If you decide to make a trip out there yourself in the future Daraku it's still very possible you might come across the game in an arcade too. Smile

DarakuTenshi
I'll have to book that flight, and meet up with you at some point while I'm there too Wink

merlin
Hope you will make a trip out there yourself one day Daraku. If there was an opportunity to do so I'd be happy to meet up with you or any other NGFL members. I remember meeting Raiken in Shikoku in 2011.

Jump to Forum: