Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: DarakuTenshi
Thread ID: 4625
Thread Info
There are 6 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 1840 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Custom arcade cabinet build
DarakuTenshi
Well, now that I'm out of school I decided I can finally get started on building my MAME cab once again. I felt so sad when I had to give my other one away before I moved, but at the same time I'm excited because this is going to be so fun.

Over the past couple months I've been jumping from idea to idea trying to decide what to build. I didn't want to build a dedicated cab (unless it was going to be a Daraku Tenshi caCool. I want to build something that was going to be unique yet something that looks familiar. So I've settled on a redesign of the MKII cab. It's a slimmed down version yet stretched for widescreen.

I started building it the other day and I'm so excited and don't want to stop working on it. The only problem is... I've got to pace myself so I don't spend too much money all at once. Anyway here is the Sketchup model that I build with all the ins and outs. I have not settled on a name or what kind of graphics or color scheme as of yet.

imageshack.com/a/img209/6112/ufj9.png

cthulhu
Even though I dislike MAME cabs, I can understand why people want them...Buying arcade PCBs and arcade systems can be a very expensive hobby (believe me, I've spent a lot on arcade games). But I don't understand why you would want widescreen...JAMMA games and the games in MAME are all in 4:3 format, so you would either over stretch the picture or you have ugly black borders surrounding the picture. Anyhow, good luck with the build and hopefully it won't look like the cabs in the Gallery of **** thread at AO (it would if I built one)...my eyes hurt everytime I dare a glance at the monstrocities posted there...
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

reelmojo
There are plenty of newer arcade games that are widescreen, and anything that runs on Taito Type X will already run perfectly on any PC. If nothing else it's just forward thinking. Even if he's not planning on going the Taito Type X route, might as well be ready to support games that aren't available yet if you can.

Also, I really want a MAME cab one day. I won't pretend I'll ever have the money or space to actually own all of the arcade cabinets I want, so a MAME cab and a couple of dedicated cabs would be perfect for me.

DarakuTenshi
cthulhu wrote:

But I don't understand why you would want widescreen...

realmojo hit it right on the head. Also the cool thing about having widescreen on the 4:3 ratio games is that you can also have the arcade artwork on the screen to emulate the bezzle artwork.

(not the best example since this is a vertical screen game and not widescreen and not MAME... but it gives you the idea)
mrdo.mameworld.info/mame_otherart/mspacman1002.png

With this I will also be able to play some of the older double screen games like X-Men, Ninja Warriors, Darius 2.

shion
Ah, another fan of Western style arcade machines. I haven't seen the button layout yet, but the cab looks legit. A tip from someone who has commissioned custom arcade sticks: simplicity is best. For example, if most games you play use three buttons or less, why have any more? Small push buttons can be dedicated to operator commands, such as start and select/insert coin:
http://www.radios...Id=2062510

I'd reconsider putting in a cathode ray tube monitor of the old ratio. It's one of those things that though obsolete is a 'keeper'. That would definitely retain the integrity of the cab as a whole.
Edited by shion on 02. October 2013 01:01

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
DarakuTenshi
Tobalman I totally agree with you. I've not settled on a layout yet, but I can't stand it when people build these huge control panels that have 4 stick with 7 buttons each, spinner, trackball, and an extra 4-way joystick. Then extra buttons littered all over the place!

I will have two joysticks for sure each with 7 buttons so I can have the standard (Street Fighter layout), and the 7th button will be positioned so I can have the Neo-Geo layout as well.

I'm debating on putting 2 more joysticks on for 3 and 4 player games with 3 buttons each. Or if I'm just going to have 2 UBS ports accessible from the outside of the cab to just plug in for other players to join in since that will be very rare that gaming sessions like that would even happen.

Also my Joystick for P1 will be the 4/8 way so that I don't have to install an additional 4-way stick for the older games like Pac-Man that pretty much require it. I will probably install a spinner because I love Tempest.

Jump to Forum: