Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Murikov
Thread ID: 4591
Thread Info
There are 7 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4257 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Puzzled / Joy Joy Kid. What do you think of it?
Tetris without the Tetris theme? Count me out! t(-_-t) Tetris without the Tetris theme? Count me out! t(-_-t) 0%[0 Votes]
Never got my hands on it, sorry! Never got my hands on it, sorry! 0%[0 Votes]
Puzzle my a**, this is a complete waste of 22 MEGS! Puzzle my a**, this is a complete waste of 22 MEGS! 0%[0 Votes]
Nothing extraordinary here, just pure average... Nothing extraordinary here, just pure average... 33%[2 Votes]
Good, good, not bad for a launch title. Good, good, not bad for a launch title. 67%[4 Votes]
The best Puzzle game for the Neo Geo! The best Puzzle game for the Neo Geo! 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 6
 Print Thread
Puzzled / Joy Joy Kid - Game of the Week
Murikov
Welcome to the Game of the Week!

Always wanted to play Tetris on SNK's famous Arcade platform? Admittedly there's no official port of Alexey Pajitnov's legendary classic, but SNK weren't a long time coming with a clone. So in 1990, in the earliest era of the Neo Geo, they released Puzzled (or Joy Joy Kid in Japan) for the MVS. With only 22 MEGS it is actually the smallest game of the whole Neo Geo library (unofficially it's Diggerman with only 11 MEGS).

So basically Puzzled is a Tetris clone with the difference that you have to clear the passage upwards by clearing lines of blocks, so your balloon can float to the top of the screen.

Does anyone remember seeing this game when it came out? Alongside with Nam 1975, Magician Lord or Baseball Stars, Puzzled can actually be considered as a launch title for our favorite arcade platform.

Puzzled / Joy Joy Kid

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Puzzled/Puzzledinsert_zpscded0a44.png

Genre: Puzzle
Players: 2
Size: 22 MEGS
Released on: MVS, AES, NGCD, Mobile

Brief Description:

Puzzled, known as Joy Joy Kid in Japan, is a 1990 falling block puzzle game (i.e. a Tetris clone) developed for the Neo Geo by SNK. It was released for a home port in 1994 and again as a mobile game in 2008. Players have to clear the floating line of blocks surrounding him or her by using the falling blocks to destroy them. Leftover blocks carry over and affects the lines below it for possible chain reactions. Unlike Tetris, the goal of each stage is to create a passage for the player's balloon, so he can reach the top of the screen.

Screenshots:

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Puzzled/00_zps80ea1139.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Puzzled/01_zps738179ed.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Puzzled/02_zpsa5923922.pngi1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/NGFL%20GOTW/Puzzled/03_zpseeac899e.png

Reviews:

Puzzled review by Kazuya_UK
Puzzled review by Tibe

Videos:

YouTube Video

High Score Challenge:

I'm not sure if there's actually any interest for a HSC this time, although the game could be quite competitive. If you guys are up for it, please leave, like always, an according post or send Priest a PM.

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->
#2 Nam 1975 -->
#3 Pulstar -->
#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->
#5 Blues Journey -->
#6 Fatal Fury -->
#7 Shock Troopers -->
#8 Sengoku -->
#9 Ninja Commando -->
#10 Ninja Master's -->
#11 Crystalis -->
#12 Thrash Rally -->
#13 Art of Fighting -->
#14 Waku Waku 7 -->
#15 Andro Dunos -->
#16 The King of Fighters '94 -->
#17 Nightmare in the Dark -->
#18 Twinkle Star Sprites -->
#19 Zupapa -->
#20 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->
#21 The Last Blade -->
#22 Crossed Swords -->
#23 Cyber Lip -->
#24 Samurai Shodown -->
#25 King of the Monsters -->
#26 The King of Fighters '95 -->
#27 Fatal Fury 2 -->
#28 Aero Fighters 2 -->
#29 Neo Bomberman -->
#30 Metal Slug -->
#31 Kabuki Klash -->
#32 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->
#33 Mutation Nation -->
#34 Blazing Star -->
#35 World Heroes -->
#36 King of Fighters '96 -->
#37 Neo Drift Out -->
#38 Magical Drop 2 -->
#39 Top Hunter -->
#40 Savage Reign -->
#41 Metal Slug 2/X -->
#42 Alpha Mission 2 -->
#43 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->
#44 Art of Fighting 2 -->
#45 Super Sidekicks -->
#46 Sengoku 2 -->
#47 Metal Slug 3 -->
#48 Burning Fight -->
#49 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->
#50 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->
#51 King of Monsters 2 -->
#52 Samurai Shodown 2 -->
#53 World Heroes 2 -->
#54 Last Resort -->
#55 Rage of the Dragons -->
#56 League Bowling -->
#57 Metal Slug 4 -->
#58 Legend of Sucess Joe -->
#59 Puzzle Bobble -->
#60 Pochi and Nyaa -->
#61 Robo Army -->
#62 Captain Tomaday -->
#63 Metal Slug 5 -->
#64 King of Fighters '97 -->
#65 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->
#66 The Super Spy -->
#67 Strikers 1945 Plus -->
#68 Ghost Pilots -->
#69 Iron Tank -->
#70 Magical Drop 3-->
#71 Fatal Fury 3 -->
#72 Art of Fighting 3 -->
#73 Viewpoint -->
#74 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->
#75 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->
#76 Beast Busters -->
#77 Shock Troopers 2 -->
#78 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->
#79 Ninja Combat -->
#80 Neo Turf Masters -->
#81 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->
#82 Bubble Bobble 2 -->
#83 King of Fighters '98 -->
#84 Wind Jammers -->
#85 Samurai Shodown III -->
#86 Puzzle de Pon/R -->
#87 Eight Man -->
#88 Street Hoops -->
#89 Galaxy Fight -->
#90 World Heroes Perfect -->
#91 SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom -->
#92 Prehistoric Isle 2 -->
#93 Metal Slug: 1st Mission -->
#94 Real Bout Fatal Fury Special -->
#95 KOF Sky Stage -->
#96 Sengoku 3 -->
#97 Ghostlop -->
#98 Matrimelee -->
#99 Ironclad -->
#100 NeoGeo Battle Coliseum -->
#101 Super Dodge Ball -->
#102 King of Fighters '99 -->
#103 Overtop -->
#104 Samurai Shodown IV-->
#105 Neo Mr. Do! -->
#106 Last Hope/Last Hope: Pink Bullets -->
#107 Pop 'N Bounce -->
#108 Crossed Swords II -->
#109 SNK Gals Fighters -->
#110 The Last Blade 2 -->
#111 Spinmaster -->
#112 Bermuda Triangle -->
#113 Super Sidekicks 2 -->
#114 Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarök -->
#115 SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash -->
#116 The King of Fighters 2000 -->
#117 The Irritating Maze -->
#118 Buriki One -->
#119 Power Spikes 2 -->
#120 S.A.R. - Search and Rescue -->
#121 3 Count Bout -->
#122 Riding Hero -->
#123 Dark Arms: Beast Buster -->
#124 Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 -->
#125 The King of Fighters: Kyo -->
#126 World Heroes 2 Jet -->
#127 Bang Bang Busters -->
#128 Top Player's Golf -->
#129 Karnov's Revenge/Fighter's History Dynamite -->
#130 Metal Slug: 2nd Mission -->
#131 Double Dragon -->
#132 Fight Fever -->
#133 Super Sidekicks 3 / NeoGeo Cup '98 -->
#134 Baseball Stars 2 -->
#135 Football Frenzy -->
#136 Aero Fighters 3 / Sonic Wings 3 -->
#137 Samurai Shodown V -->
#138 The King of Fighters R1/R2 -->
#139 Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer -->
#140 Samurai Shodown RPG -->
#141 Fast Striker -->
#142 The King of Fighters 2001 -->
#143 Stakes Winner -->
#144 Guerrilla War -->
#145 Battle Flip Shot / Bang Bead -->
#146 Ragnagard -->
#147 Dive Alert -->
#148 Gururin -->
#149 Kizuna Encounter -->
#150 Garou: Mark of the Wolves -->
#151 Soccer Brawl -->
#152 Gang Wars -->
#153 Metal Slug Advance -->
#154 Samurai Shodown 64 / Warriors Rage -->
#155 Mechanized Attack -->
#156 Quiz King of Fighters -->
#157 The King of Fighters 2002 -->
#158 Ikari Warriors -->
#159 Sasuke vs. Commander -->
#160 Ozma Wars -->
#161 2020 Super Baseball -->
#162 Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams -->
#163 Treasure of the Caribbean -->
#164 Street Smart -->
Edited by Murikov on 01. September 2013 22:17
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

DarakuTenshi
If it wasn't for the Neo-Geo X I'd probably never have played this game. But, i found it entertaining. I just got angry at it.

Chiba3010
That this is the first Neo Geo puzzler I've picked up for my AES probably works in it's favor. That I managed to do so for less than $50 helps too. Wink

Not bad at all for the genre, but Puzzled is certainly no showpiece of the hardware's capabilities. The audio/visual presentation is simple and (if little else) gets the job done. I can't help but feel SNK really "phoned it in" on the graphics and sound- there's no reason they couldn't have stepped it up significantly in its presentation. That said, the gameplay is solid (with the exception of only being able to rotate falling puzzle pieces in one direction). Bear in mind, though many elements are strongly reminiscent of Tetris, your goal here is quite different- freeing a character imprisoned within the block structures of each board. Attempting to play this game with a "Tetris-style" strategy will quickly lead to your defeat.

The game provides an interesting twist that can be you saving grace in bad situations- there is a charge-meter that fills with each successful row elimination that enables the imprisoned balloon/blimp character to unleash a destructive blast, damaging or destroying the structures around it in a localized radius, the power and range of which depending on how far you've filled the charge-meter. It's a great last resort if you're really in a bind. Additionally, when you fail to clear a board and your game ends, any unused charge that you've accumulated carries over into your next attempt.

In Puzzled, it can be extremely difficult to avoid disaster when the pieces begin falling increasingly faster once enough time elapses. You can often sense imminent defeat approaching well in advance- frequently far enough to identify the point where everything went wrong and providing a lesson on mistakes to avoid in future attempts. That said, the absurd extent of speed increases is one significant gripe a have with Puzzled- spend too much time on a particular board and eventually pieces will fall so fast that, if your charge-meter is empty, there is literally nothing you can do but watch the board clutter it's way to the "Game Over" screen. That I often feel compelled to give it another go immediately afterwards certainly speaks for this title's quality of gameplay.

Puzzled achieves a successful balance of enjoyment, accomplishment and frustration that makes for a solid, if underwhelming puzzle game. It's at least worth trying out via emulation if you enjoy this type of game. For me, it's a sufficient representative of the falling-block puzzle genre until the day I finally get my hands on a copy of Magical Drop 3! Thumbs Up
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

Sensi
Thanks Chiba for your mini-review, only the final score is missing Wink
After some doubts, I'm close to get this for one MVS. I know it will not be very special, but I'm just looking for another decent puzzler. Your opinion corresponds with most on the net.
Can't go wrong with this one I guess. It's remarkable the action packed Neo Geo holds quite a lot puzzle titles.

Chiba3010
@ Sensi: If you can get the MVS version for less than $50 (don't pay any more than that for this game), I'd say go for it! Just keep your expectations low and you should find some enjoyment here. You may find Puzzled a nice occasional alternative to the bigger, higher-profile Neo Geo puzzle games that's certainly worth a play session now and again. No frills to be found in the presentation of this title. It's only 22 megs and honestly, I'm surprised the count is that high. Knowing what can be crammed into a 16 meg cart on the Genesis or SNES, I'd expect a 22 meg Neo cart to impress a bit more than Puzzled does. Simple, certainly, but decent and worth a look for fans of "falling-block" puzzlers. If the price is right, it's a nice little game to add to your Neo library. Wink
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

Sensi
Thanks for mentioning the price, it should be good to keep it in mind.
I dealt already with the same seller, I'm confident it will play out right.
No 701 MEGS expectations Wink Although, when you think of it; it's a shame SNK didn't ever release a Pocket Fighter like puzzle game (with for example SNK/Capcom characters).
Imagine a colourful puzzle game with big characters at the side going ape shit, fireballs, moves, explosions and cute animations.

merlin
I have this in my NGCD collection but don't play it any more. Nothing particularly wrong with the game but nothing special about it either. A very average game. Even though it was an early Neo Geo title the graphics should have been a bit better.

I just don't feel any desire to play this when there are many superior arcade puzzle games I could be playing e.g. Uo Poko, Magical Drop 3, Money Idol Exchanger, Cleopatra Fortune, LandMaker, Don't Pull, etc.

For anyone who wants some high quality Neo Geo puzzle action and is put off by the high prices I would suggest getting Magical Drop 3 for Saturn. A great version and quite cheap.

Jump to Forum: