Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Bukake-Samurai
Thread ID: 4579
Thread Info
There are 27 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7965 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Neo Geo For Life...so fitting.
Bukake-Samurai
Greetings all,

Been visiting this site for quite some time now. Just to peek through the forums, and get my daily / weekly / monthly drool going as I peruse through the wonderful discoveries and sales going on amongst the pages of this site.

Ever since the tranquil and harmonious melody of the Neo Geo intro start up have I never been so hooked. Even today, my Message Ring Tone is this soundbyte.
Like a siren, I was drawn to the cabinet displaying a game I had never heard of...King Of Fighters 94. Characters that had appeared in various other fighters, had come together and fight in an un-othodox fighting format. The characters and animation looked amazing. The music was fantastic !...I would find any excuse to go out of my daily route just to have some time and play this game!

Over the years(wow DECADES !) I have become ever so fond of the Neo Geo, what it represents, what it stands for, and how such a library of games still stand tall and tough today. The old adage of "They don't make 'em like they used to" absolutely applies.

I owe SNK and the Neo Geo so much for the fond memories I have for their titles that I had always promised myself, one day I would have one for myself.

That time has come!
I drove 9hrs (4 1/2 each way) to buy one from a nice guy online, to finally fulfil a promise I made years ago. SO hear I am.

I'm the proud owner of an AES (Serial No. in the early 170,000's) and look forward to discussing this fine system with you all. You guys def know your stuff, and feel glad to know, that if I have any queries, you guys will no doubt steer me in the right direction.

I live in the Sydney (Australia) area, and hope to meet some Allum in the area, as I plan on building my library.

Thanks guys.

Basashi King
welcome aboard!

what games have you got, and what are the next 3 youre planning to get?

merlin
Hi Bukake-Samurai. Welcome to NGFL. Congrats on buying an AES console. Thumbs Up Must be very exciting for you to finally get one.

Bukake-Samurai
Heya guys !
Appreciate the warm welcome, you guys are some top blokes !
So friendly, as opposed to some other gaming related forums I also frequent.

Basashi, At the moment I have Samurai Spirits/Showdown 1, Art of Fighting 2, Fatal Fury Special and Blue's Journey.

As for next 3...ehehehhe....well I just purchased KOF 99 online, and looking to raid Tokyo, on my next trip over there. (Wife is Japanese, so we often visit)

Thanks Merlin, I'm so pleased that I finally have one !

Actually, not sure if you guys might be able to help, but have you heard of any issues regarding the sound on these bad boys ?
Upon an extended playthrough, whilst on Samurai Spirits, it almost sounds like an audio channel is missing. For example, on Nakoruru's level, all the soundeffects and background sounds can be heard. As well as most of the Background Music, but the melodius flute portion of her stage music cannot be heard....same with Galford's flute riff on the back of his tune.

Picked up the same thing with Art of fighting...it's so subtle...again, one of the midi melodies in the intro is missing, but all the soundeffects and bassier portions of the track are present.

Thoughts ?
Does this sound like an Audio issue? or a rookie error on my part ?

I'm just so overjoyed that I have this thing, that I've become super paranoid.

LIFE_IN_2D
Welcome. I hope you stick around. It's really nice to see new members.
By the way, I totally understand about the Neo-Geo nostalgia, it's something that stay with you for life...remembering the good 'ol 1990's.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

merlin
That's a nice start to your collection Bukake-Samurai. All excellent games and I particularly love Blue's Journey.

That sucks about the audio problem. Not sure why that would happen. I've never noticed that issue before. If some parts of the sound are missing perhaps it would be worth cleaning the cartridge contacts and cart slot. Hopefully someone else here can offer better advice.

Basashi King
looks like youve kicked off with some great games. like yourself, i was there from the beginning, except for me it was samurai shodown then kof 94 that blew my mind (or at least i think it was in that order). as soon as i saw samurai shodown i knew i had to have one of these things...

as for the audio issue, that does suck just a tad, and i second what merlin says. if you regularly come to japan, id suggest considering trying to pick up a spare on yahoo auctions sometime before your next visit, and collecting it on a trip over. you can often get bargains on there which may be better value than getting stuff from the shops.

if youre like me, you may have missed out on the last blade games first time round - theyre definitely something to look forwards to! enjoy the system; and dont forget to post your thoughts on the games in the forums!

Murikov
Welcome on board, Bukake-Samurai! Glad to see a new face around here! Thumbs Up

And congrats on your latest acquisition, I just remember the moment when I got an AES myself a few years ago. Indeed a magic moment! And as for the audio problem, I just second Merlin and Basashi King. Get yourself some cotton sticks and rubbing alcohol and get those contacts clean.

Looking forward to further thoughts and insights of your AES titles, feel free to discuss here about our favorite hobby. Smile
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Bukake-Samurai
I agree Murikov and Life_in_2d, there's just something about the Neo Geo in particular that just resonates with me. Whether it be the fantastic staple of fight games and memorable characters, to the terrific music that still packs a punch and holds strong to this day...There's something for everyone.

Sharing such memories, with like minded awesome folk such as yourselves I don't see myself leaving anytime soon !

Basashi King, Absolutely, Last Blade 2 is phenomenal ! The deliberate slow pacing ala Samurai Showdown is brilliant, forcing you to play in a style, that's rarely been seen in fighting games, even today. That and Garou are my Holy Grails... One day....baby steps for now.

As for the Audio issue I've been experiencing, sadly, cleaning the cartridge contacts as well as the cartride connector to my AES has done nothing to rectify the issue. It's just so random, that pretty much 85% of all audio works, save for a portion of particular track, here and there.

For some reason, the Facebook page for this site doesn't allow me to comment or post anything. Is this a right thing ?
|Otherwise I'd love to show you guys what I mean, by posting a short vid of my experience, whilst comparing to to a clip on You Tube.

Basashi King
im actually crap with computers, but i think you might be able to upload a vid to youtube and link it to this website.

merlin
Sorry to hear cleaning the contacts hasn't solved the audio issue. Posting about it on the NGFL Facebook page or asking in the neo-geo.com tech forum would also be worth a try.

Bukake-Samurai wrote:
For some reason, the Facebook page for this site doesn't allow me to comment or post anything. Is this a right thing ?

Maybe a stupid question but you definitely did click on 'join group'? After that an admin will have to add you to the group before you can post.

Bukake-Samurai
Hey guys, back again.

Merlin, yeah, have definitely ticked "Join Group" everytime I visit the page, I'm met with a "Cancel Join Request"...which I can only assume the Admin have yet to add me to the Group.

Basashi King, with my terrible uploading skills I have managed to do just that.

In the clip below, you'll see my short uploaded video, where you hear that some of the menu music audio mainly the flutes etc are missing. This is more prevalent in the Nakoruru level.

http://www.youtub...e=youtu.be

And in the clip below, grabbed of You Tube you can clearly see the missing elements.Most notable around the 1:50 part of the video.

http://www.youtub...I_M87VILQU

After cleaning the end points to both Neo Geo and Cartridge, leads me to think there must be (regretably) something miniscule of note, wrong with my AES.

The same happens with Art of Fighting 2. All the lighter melodius Audio portions are absent also. Only the Bassier notes can be heard, which is so darn strange, as the sound effects and the rest are fine.

I have also recently joined Neo-Geo.com (same username) but I have yet to be granted rights to post. Apparently a treasure hunt is in order, after which ticking some requirement will unlock my rights access.

So after hearing the above, any thoughts ?

shion
Am I the only one here who knows what bukake is?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
LIFE_IN_2D
Tobalman wrote:

Nah, I chuckled a bit when I saw his handle. Pretty funny. At least I know I'm not the only pervert here.

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

LIFE_IN_2D
Bukake-Samurai wrote:

So after hearing the above, any thoughts ?

Only this, watch your ass at NG.COM. Lay low and don't be too flashy, lots of guys there who like to drive n00bs to the brink of forum suicide.

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Bukake-Samurai
Life_in_2d, I'm not looking for trouble, nor trying to be flash, I'm just a genuinely concerned guy freaking out at the possibility that his new Neo Geo baby has some sort of bizarre issue....who just so happens to have a deviate like handle name, eheheheh...glad you like.

I wrote "any thoughts" in the hope someone may be able to shed some light as to what my issue may be, now that I had managed to get some examples up on screen.

LIFE_IN_2D
No, no. I just meant that as a friendly warning, of sorts. As a person who frequents both forums (here and there), a can surely say that the people at NG.com are a lot different from the guys here. You don't really have to do anything to be targeted there, hence it's best to stay low-profile until you're a familiar face.

I know, I'd be freaking out if any of my Neo-Geo's were acting funny, so no worries. Hope you sort out your Neo-Geo issue.

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Bukake-Samurai
Appreciate the heads up. Will definitely try and keep a low profile.

As for freaking out? Totally.
This thing is doing my head in.

Basashi King
'bukkake' is often a better bet with the search engines. not that i'd know anything about that...

reelmojo
Tobalman wrote:

I was wondering when someone was going to comment on that! With each successive post I was like "Seriously? We're gonna ignore this?"

Welcome to the forums, Mr. Samurai. It's always great to see a fresh face around here, especially one with great taste is user names.

I'm suddenly very aware that I used the phrases "fresh face" and "great taste" in that sentence. :(

Anyway, that's a great collection you've got started there. Last Blade 2 and Garou are definitely two of my Holy Grails that I'd love to own for AES one day too. Hopefully you can get that sound issue ironed out without too much of a problem. It sounds like it's a problem with the audio chip and hopefully you won't have to replace the chip itself. A quick Ebay search reveals that the chip isn't expensive at all, but I can't imagine how much of a pain it would be to have to install the thing, let alone safely removing the original. Hopefully the guys over at NG.com or maybe someone around here can help you figure out an easy solution.

Jump to Forum: