Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Shiny
Thread ID: 457
Thread Info
There are 68 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 18907 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best shmup ever...
Shiny
As obvious as the title suggests... What's the best traditional shooter ever made? By traditional I mean stuff like R-Type, Sonic Wings, Truxton, Pulstar etc. Any system, any age.

I'm a bit of a Cave fan and so, even though I love the "classics" and could easily reel off a list of old arcade shmups and PC Engine gems like Gunhed and Super Star Soldier, nothing imo can touch Do DonPachi. Nothing. No matter how manic it gets, and at times it is just fucking crazy, there's always an escape route. The graphics and sound are second to none, the control is spot on, and the scoring system is a work of genius.

priest
Gunsmokegunsmokegunsmokegunsmokegunsmokegunsmoke
gunsmokegunsmoke arcade, enough said Wink
Edited by priest on 19. August 2007 12:24
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Midian
Touhou, especially the windows ones. I'm not a big fan of shooting games, but Touhou is awesome. Great graphics and characters, an *amazing* soundtrack and such a challenge. And that all by one man.

Touhou is definitely my favorite shooting game.
Edited by Midian on 18. August 2007 23:59
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

Raiken
Marvel vs Capcom 2 LOL

Seriously though, I can't think of any in particular that are the best. I too love Cave shooters.
oi66.tinypic.com/zyjcpl.jpg

Goemon
Raiken wrote:
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Grin

I don't think i could choose just one shooter as my very fav. but i'll say that it would certianly be dev. by Cave. I'm pretty sure i've played Cave's ESP more then any other shooter if that means anything.
Edited by Goemon on 20. August 2007 07:06

Shiny
Three cheers for Cave!! Shmup Gods.

I love ESP Ra.De. but haven't played ESPGaluda yet... In fact ESP Ra.De. was the answer to my competition that nobody entered... Wink

Flik
I'd say Dodonpachi as well. Too good.

Shiny
Cave - 4, others - 2.

Folk around here have mighty fine taste in shooters it seems! Grin

Goemon
Shiny wrote:I love ESP Ra.De. but haven't played ESPGaluda yet...

Same here, i've never been able to find the mother fucker online anywhere. I'm not keen on the idea of buying shooters other then MS. (I suppose i should consider myself lucky to have downloaded Mushihimesama & Ibara) I'll probably buy it eventually. If i lived in Japan i'd be playing Cave shooters all the time. ( the proper way Smile )

Shiny
Goemon wrote:
Shiny wrote:I love ESP Ra.De. but haven't played ESPGaluda yet...

Same here, i've never been able to find the mother fucker online anywhere. I'm not keen on the idea of buying shooters other then MS. (I suppose i should consider myself lucky to have downloaded Mushihimesama & Ibara) I'll probably buy it eventually. If i lived in Japan i'd be playing Cave shooters all the time. ( the proper way Smile )

It was ported to PS2 wasn't it, Galuda I mean. Ibara too I think. And I'll be honest I have a couple of times very nearly bought a PS2 just for them. But I haven't yet. Wink

Flicking through this month's Retro Gamer magazine I see that they've come up with their own top 5 shmups ever... Here's how they voted, from 5 to 1:

Defender
R-Type
Ikaruga
Gradius V
Do DonPachi

Get in! Back of the net! Etc. Do DonPachi FTW baby!! No surprises really, though I think GV probably should be dropped in favour of Radiant Silvergun or Armed Police Batrider (probably the latter), and R-Type and Defender are clearly there just for nostalgia reasons. I mean if there's one genre of game where time really has made an enormous difference it's in shmups. As much as I love older games in reality they just can't touch some of what 8ing/Raizing and Cave (to name but 2 companies) have come up with in the last 10 years.
Edited by Shiny on 02. October 2007 00:10

sotenga
Wow, but I just love shmups. I'd like to elaborate, but I'm running out of time, so let me just say I'm a freak for anything Gradius, R-Type, Thunderforce, and I love the hell out of Axelay and Radiant Silvergun. That's just scratching the surface there!

Goemon
Shiny wrote:And I'll be honest I have a couple of times very nearly bought a PS2 just for them.

Do it. Smile Between DoDonPachi Dai-Oujou, Espgaluda, Mushihimesama, & Ibara.... and that's just cave. Also, Gradius V and Homura are excellent.
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/cockayus/goemonsig.jpg

aroboto
IMO, DoDonPachi, Giga Wing, ESP Ra.De., and Super R-Type are the best shmups ever. I can keep going back to each one of them and never get bored.

In terms of best underground shooters (e.g., ones that not a lot of people know about), I'm partial to Castle Shikigami 2, Gunbird, Keio Flying Squadron, and the Parodius series. Grin
Current avatar: Saki from Quiz Nanairo Dreams

Shiny
aroboto wrote:
IMO, DoDonPachi, Giga Wing, ESP Ra.De., and Super R-Type are the best shmups ever. I can keep going back to each one of them and never get bored.

In terms of best underground shooters (e.g., ones that not a lot of people know about), I'm partial to Castle Shikigami 2, Gunbird, Keio Flying Squadron, and the Parodius series. Grin

All great games. Thumbs Up But I don't think we can consider Parodius an underground shooter... It's huuuuuge! Wink

Goemon wrote:
Shiny wrote:And I'll be honest I have a couple of times very nearly bought a PS2 just for them.

Do it. Smile Between DoDonPachi Dai-Oujou, Espgaluda, Mushihimesama, & Ibara.... and that's just cave. Also, Gradius V and Homura are excellent.

So tempting and yet so very very complicated... The stick I would get if I gave in and bought a PS2. Shock

Goemon
I notice that most cave fans i come across tend to claim DoDonPachi as their fav. cave shooter. Just out of curiosity, after playing something like ESP that i think we can all agree is more challenging, (therefore, more intense imo) i get kinda bored going back and playing DoDonPachi lately. How about you Shiny & aroboto?

Shiny
Do DonPachi isn't my favourite Cave shooter, it is however imo their best, my favourites are ESP Ra.De. and Guwange. Both are works of art and an absolute joy to play every single time.

I know what you mean about DDP, playing it to finish it can get a bit tedious after so many times but it's high score shooter really isn't it, that's where the men are seperated from the boys, and it draws me back for exactly the same reason as Galaga and Tempest: to beat my high score. Not that it's very high. LOL
I agree with you though, ESP and Guwange are much more satisfying to play through. Not to mention a Hell of a lot more imaginative artistically.

sotenga
Oh, man, ESP Ra. De. and Guwange are totally tops. ESP has a pretty damn original concept behind it, and I would very much like to somehow play its PS2 sequel, ESP Galuda. Also, I totally love Guwange with its feudal Japan demon mythology influence. Seriously, I love that stuff!

But DonPachi and DoDonPachi are also incredulous blastfests as well, even if they're not quite as stylish. But there's nothing wrong with getting back to basics: Small aircraft blowing the hell up gigantic murder machines.

Question: Has anyone played Progear? To my knowledge, it's the only horizontal shmup that Cave ever designed (modeled on the CPS2 hardware, if you can believe it). It's a super-fun game, and it plays just like typical Cave fare despite the not-overhead perspective. It also has a steampunk theme running to it, and the boss names are absolutely effing ridiculous.

aroboto
It's really hard to get sick of ESP Ra.De. and DoDonPachi, at least for me! Grin I only played ESPGaluda once so I can't form a proper opinion on it. Anybody gotten to play Ibara before? I've always wanted to but never found out what system it was on.

Progear was kinda fun but way too short for my liking. It starts to really get going, and bam! You're already at the last boss. :(

Anyone else fans of the 194X series by Capcom? My favorite out of those is probably the third 194X game (which oddly enough was 1941). Eco Fighters was a cool shooter with a twist. I also love the game Chariot, it was a fun (but delightfully difficult) game. That entire Three Wonders game is brilliant but that's for another thread entirely. Pfft

Oh, and on the Neo-Geo, I love Pulstar and Blazing Star. Both very fun shooters, and any game that plays a lot like R-Type is great in my book. Smile
Current avatar: Saki from Quiz Nanairo Dreams

Goemon
sotenga wrote:Question: Has anyone played Progear?

Love it. Blazing Star was my fav. horizontal shooter till i played Progear.

Btw, i suppose everyone has already knows but cave is coming out with a horizontal shooter that looks amazing. http://www.youtub...ed&search= (vid for those that haven't seen it)

aroboto wrote:Anyone else fans of the 194X series by Capcom?

Oh yeah, great series. my fav. is 1945 Smile
Edited by Goemon on 03. October 2007 00:07

sotenga
Oh yeah, great series. my fav. is 1945 Smile

... *scratches brain* I'm pretty sure there wasn't a 1945. The last game in the series was 1944: The Loop Master. That was a damn good one, but 19XX: The War Against Destiny is my personal favorite of the series. Granted, 1944 has more levels, but 19XX has more variety per level (and three different planes as well).

However, there is a series of games by Psikyo known as Strikers 1945, all of which are super-bitching to play. It's like fusing together good old WW2 technology with gigantic transforming robots. Grin

Jump to Forum: