is the new champion in
Donkey Kong with 24900 points
Donkey Kong
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points

Thread Author: marktheshark
Thread ID: 4544
Thread Info
There are 7 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2247 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
VG companies close to where you live?
What are some video game companies that are close to where you currently live?

Currently, I live in the Chicagoland area and there are only a few located around:

High Voltage Software - The closest one to me. They're located around Hoffman Estates. They mostly make crappy games, but every & then, they make a decent game. They're probably the only Illinois VG company still around.

NuFx/EA Chicago - They were bought out by EA & then shut down sometime in 2007. They primarily made sports games such as NBA Street & the Fight Night series.

Midway Games - Obviously the most famous in this list. Their HQ was located in Chicago, but the company is now defunct for almost several years.

There used to be some american branches of japanese companies located around where I live:

Konami - I looked at a few of the cases for their early PSX games & they used to be located around Buffalo Grove (I'm not sure how long), but they relocated to California around 1998 or so.

Taito - I was looking at an old flyer for one of their games and they were located in my town at one point! They moved to another town nearby though and the American division ended up shutting down back around 1995-1996 or so.

edit: Whoops! There's a duplicate thread!
Edited by marktheshark on 01. January 2018 19:11
Travelers tales are near me they make the lego games.
Evilgazebo wrote:

Travelers tales are near me they make the lego games.

Pretty cool. They also made Sonic R & Sonic 3D Blast. The licensed games they made such as Bug's Life & Toy Story 2 were also pretty good.
yeah sonic 3d was one of my favourites, they used to have a really cool company logo as well.
No idea... I know that there are developers in the Huston area, but I only know of indi houses. I don't know if there are any big name companies there.
pretty amazing Taito were in your hometown Mark Thumbs Up

I live very near Guildford in England where a lot of games developers are based. There is EA + Criterion (Burnout), Media Molecule (Little Big Planet), 22 Cans (Peter Molyneux's new company), Lionhead (Black and White), Big Blue Box (Fable). In the old days Bullfrog (Populous, Magic Carpet, Syndicate etc) was there, someone I knew used to playtest for them, I remember he playtested Flood. I used to quite like that game.

You can only really see EA/Criterion since its in the centre but to find the others you have to do some exploring.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched :
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games :
Black Lantern Studios is a small VG company in my hometown (Springfield, MO). They do a lot of kids games and board game licenses, mostly for tablets and smartphones. They're sort of a "launching pad" for young developers.

Great place to work/intern though, from what I've heard.
Jump to Forum: