Username
Password

Remember?
Click here to register.
Forgot Your Password?
Search:
November 23 2017

Navigation
· Home
· Reviews
· Kazuya's Neo Top 10
· In Depth FAQ's
· Downloads
· Web Links
· News Categories
· Image Gallery
· Official Wallpapers
· Fan Made Wallpapers

· NGFL Site Projects

· Neo Geo - The Console
· Neo Geo Pocket Handheld
· Articles

· SNK Jukebox
· NGFL Arcade

· Discussion Forum
· Chatroom
· Latest Comments
· Xbox Live Leaderboard
· NGFL World Map

· Contact Me
· Site FAQ's
· Search Site

· Submit News
· Submit Link
· Submit Article
· Submit a Photo
· Submit Download

Random Review
3 Count Bout

Users Online
· Guests Online: 4

· Members Online: 0

· Total Members: 2,345
· Newest Member: 4d

Last Seen Users
RiKo01:12:14
Supergrafx06:15:15
Murikov07:08:01
merlin09:19:24
dhowerter20:17:31
green beret 5 days
NeoStrayCat 1 week
cthulhu 1 week
Sensi 1 week
rollinsonphilip 2 weeks

Ad

Support Us!
Donate To Us!
Enter an amount to donate:
¤

Why Donate?

Game events
Latest scores
NeoStrayCat
scored 193 points in
League Bowling
League Bowling
Henke
scored 523 points in
Snow Bowling
Snow Bowling
Henke
scored 172 points in
League Bowling
League Bowling
Henke
scored 28725 points in
Heli Boarding
Heli Boarding

Latest champions
Henke
is the new champion in
Snow Bowling with 523 points
Snow Bowling
Henke
is the new champion in
Heli Boarding with 28725 points
Heli Boarding
Henke
is the new champion in
Donkey Kong with 24900 points
Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter


Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 4536
Thread Info
There are 36 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7735 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Astronomy
merlin
Nice report Green Beret. Thanks for posting. Sounds like a great session especially seeing Saturn and the Cassini division. Hope your next observing sessions turn out well too. You are lucky to be able to go out to a dark site. I'm keen to go out and see Saturn and also Uranus.
 
green beret
On Wednesday or Thursday we go to the dark site. Neptune and Uranus will be targets as well!
 
green beret
On Wednesday skies were indeed clear! I went for observation with a friend of mine and his son. They were interested in Astronomy and they were excited pretty much. Observing site was really really dark and our galaxy was looking fabulous up to the sky. We started at about 21:45 and finished at 00:30. We hit a lot of targetes mostly on south and west. Here is a list of what we successfully observed.

Saturn
Neptune 7,69
South
M 8 LAGOON NEBULA
M 20 TRIFID NEBULA
M 24 SAGITTARIUS STAR CLOUD
M 25 Open cluster
M 18 Open cluster
M 17 Swan Nebula
M 16 Eagle Nebula
M 26 Open cluster
M 11 Open cluster
NGC 6683 Open cluster
NGC 6704 Open cluster
M 7 Open cluster
NGC 6453 very small Globular cluster inside M 7 10.20
M 101 7.17 Pinwheel Galaxy
M 51 8.40 Whirlpool Galaxy
M 81 6.90-M 82 8.40 Galaxies
M 22 Globular cluster
NGC 6517 Globular cluster
NGC 6539 Globular cluster
M 14 Globular cluster
M 10 Globular cluster
M 12 Globular cluster
M 107 Globular cluster
NGC 6309 Planet BOX NEBULA 11.90
NGC 6369 Planet THE LITTLE GHOST NEBULA 11.40
NGC 6302 Planet BUG NEBULA 9.60
West
NGC 7331 9.50 Galaxy
NGC 7217 10.20 Galaxy
NGC 6946 8.90 Galaxy
M 57 RING NEBULA
M 13 Globular cluster
North
NGC 3077 9.90 Galaxy
NGC 2787 10.80 Galaxy
NGC 2976 10.20 Galaxy
NGC 4036 10.60 Galaxy
NGC 4041 11.10 Galaxy
NGC 5473 11.40 Galaxy
NGC 5474 10.90 Galaxy
NGC 5485 11.50 Galaxy
 
Sensi
Don't know if it belongs in this topic, but a few days ago they were babbling about (much) falling stars in the Netherlands. The weather was clear but at home I didn't saw any.
Moving towards a more dark, open place had be a better option. About 15 km further someone saw like eight falling stars in one hour.
 
green beret
Sensi wrote:

Don't know if it belongs in this topic, but a few days ago they were babbling about (much) falling stars in the Netherlands. The weather was clear but at home I didn't saw any.
Moving towards a more dark, open place had be a better option. About 15 km further someone saw like eight falling stars in one hour.
On Wednesday and Thursday there was an asteroid shower from Perseus asterism to earth. We saw about 30 of them and they were crossing a lot of distance in the atmosphere before they faint. While out in the dark and observing it was an "extra" feature to see!
 
merlin
Sounds like a great observing session Green Beret. You saw many things. Thumbs Up

I'm keen to go out but it's often cloudy these days.
 
green beret
merlin wrote:

Sounds like a great observing session Green Beret. You saw many things. Thumbs Up

I'm keen to go out but it's often cloudy these days.
Do you go out alone merlin or you have company? I would never go out to any dark site alone...many things can happen these days.

Anyway here is my new binoculars to use wherever I am out in nature, even if it's night or day. I will be able to observe M31 and M33 galaxies plus all major globular and open clusters, even some nebulas. During day they are pretty good at observing sightseeing insects and birds.
green beret attached the following images:
image_110.jpg image_109.jpg
 
merlin
Apart from one time I went with my brother I always observe alone Green Beret. You are lucky having people to go with. I know it's extremely unlikely anything bad will happen but I can't help but feel a bit scared sometimes at night. I keep hearing strange noises while I'm looking through the eyepiece! I do feel more relaxed here in Tokyo when I'm out during the night. It is a very safe city.

Nice binoculars! Zeiss have a very good reputation. I only have a cheap pair of 10x50s I bought on Amazon but plan to get a better quality pair in the future. Was thinking of maybe getting 8x42s or 8x40s since they will be lighter and easier to hold steady. The Olympus DPs-1 gets good reviews and isn't expensive.
 
green beret
merlin wrote:

Apart from one time I went with my brother I always observe alone Green Beret. You are lucky having people to go with. I know it's extremely unlikely anything bad will happen but I can't help but feel a bit scared sometimes at night. I keep hearing strange noises while I'm looking through the eyepiece! I do feel more relaxed here in Tokyo when I'm out during the night. It is a very safe city.

Nice binoculars! Zeiss have a very good reputation. I only have a cheap pair of 10x50s I bought on Amazon but plan to get a better quality pair in the future. Was thinking of maybe getting 8x42s or 8x40s since they will be lighter and easier to hold steady. The Olympus DPs-1 gets good reviews and isn't expensive.
I guess you are right about Tokyo, it is a safe city. Here there are a lot of farmers that don't like to see strangers after hours near their properties. I choose to go to places where these farmers are more friendly. I hear strange noises too during observations and probably they come from night creatures moving around. Nice binos are the Olympus DPS-1. I did some research and people recommend 8x40 because it is lighter and more steady. You will be able to see Andromeda Galaxy and Triangulum Galaxy. Many clusters and nebulas are visible too. Binos are good when you want to relax a little under the stars!
 
green beret
This is my new 24.4" telescope. Images are great through its eyepiece and my feet are on the ground for 95% of the time. For zenith I need a 10 cm step.

Here you can read my first light report:
http://www.cloudy...ht-report/




.
green beret attached the following images:
img_0015.jpg img_0025.jpg

Edited by green beret on 15. July 2016 17:20
 
Sensi
So impressive to see your equipment! You build it yourself, right?
I read your report, but 90% of it I don't understand haha.
But I would love to look through such a scope once in a lifetime and get some explanation about the sightings. Great you are able to move it around yourself, it really looks big.
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg
 
green beret
Sensi wrote:

So impressive to see your equipment! You build it yourself, right?
I read your report, but 90% of it I don't understand haha.
But I would love to look through such a scope once in a lifetime and get some explanation about the sightings. Great you are able to move it around yourself, it really looks big.


A friend of mine built it but I put some ideas too, to make life easier. It is bigger than it looks in the photos though. The sightings are fantastic and have a lot of mystery! Also it is a unique experience to observe because you go with some friends in a very dark lonely place with nobody arround and usually many miles away from civiliazation, there are no lights and you don't tun on lights except red color. You stay ther until a little before the sunrise. For me it's very exciting.
 
merlin
Impressive scope Green Beret. The views must be amazing through that. I've never looked through anything that size before. Enjoyed reading your observing report at Cloudy Nights. I need to take my 4'' refractor out for an observing session again. It's been a while. As I always say there's something special about seeing planets, galaxies etc. with your own eyes rather than just looking at images taken by spacecraft and Hubble.
 
green beret
merlin wrote:

Impressive scope Green Beret. The views must be amazing through that. I've never looked through anything that size before. Enjoyed reading your observing report at Cloudy Nights. I need to take my 4'' refractor out for an observing session again. It's been a while. As I always say there's something special about seeing planets, galaxies etc. with your own eyes rather than just looking at images taken by spacecraft and Hubble.

Thank you very much Merlin! This was the first time for me to look through a large scope too. Actually it is the largest amateur scope in Greece with the second one being 20".
Agree with you, looking with my own eyes I feel something special I don't feel looking at photos.
 
green beret
Still enjoying Astronomy with my scope. Great views and great parties below Cretan dark skies
 
merlin
Good to hear you're still enjoying astronomy Green Beret. Smile I'm still interested but haven't been out for quite a while due to being busy and also other hobbies. Planning to buy some better quality binoculars soon and get back into it.
 
Jump to Forum: