Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoStrayCat
Thread ID: 4526
Thread Info
There are 10 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6029 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
So, how does one of the 1st SNK games hold up?
Excellent Excellent 0%[0 Votes]
Great Great 0%[0 Votes]
Average Average 13%[1 Vote]
Bad Bad 0%[0 Votes]
Never played it! / SNK's 1st games, huh? Never played it! / SNK's 1st games, huh? 88%[7 Votes]
Total Votes : 8
 Print Thread
Game of the Week (#160) - Ozma Wars
NeoStrayCat
Welcome NGFL regulars to another exciting Game of the Week!

(Well guys, If memory serves me right, Murikov should return soon after his 3 week vacation, for now, time for another GotW, seeing as were going by SNK's classic lineup that's not MVS/AES, we'll still continue from there.)

As such, one of their 1st games, Ozma Wars (actually, Micron/Micon Block is the 1st SNK game made, but there is no footage/pics of that game, so...).

Basically, its kind of like a modified Space Invaders, but different, but does it hold out to its time, we'll see.

Ozma Wars

www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/600674b.jpg

Genre: Shoot-em-up
Players: 2
Size: ?
Released on: Arcade, and PSP (part of Mini's)

Description: (Lazy Wiki copypasta, so here...>_> )
Ozma Wars is a 1979 fixed shooter arcade game, and the very first game developed and published by SNK, who were still known as "Shin Nihon Kikaku" at the time. The game is also known as the second ever vertical shoot 'em up game, after Taito's Space Invaders (which ran on the same arcade hardware), but is also additionally known as the first game with disparate "levels". The game is also notable for being the first action game to feature a supply of energy, resembling a life bar, a mechanic that has now become common in the majority of modern action games. The game allowed the player to refuel energy between each level, and it featured a large variety of alien enemies.

The player controls a space craft which must fend off UFOs, meteors, and comets. Instead of lives, the player is given an energy reserve that is constantly diminishing; getting hit by the enemy causes gameplay to stop momentarily and a large amount of energy is depleted. Every so often, a mothership will appear and dock with the player's spacecraft, allowing the energy to be refilled. There are 3-4 recognizable stages as the game progresses and new enemies begin to appear. After these, the mothership will appear, and the cycle starts over; this continues indefinitely until the energy reaches zero.

There are two known bootleg versions of this game called Space Phantoms and Solar Flight. In Space Phantoms the player's ship looks like an angel, and the enemies appear as different types of insects. Due to the game being monochrome and a conversion kit for Space Invaders, many Ozma Wars monitors still utilized the Space Invaders color overlay.

Screenshot:
static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/6/69424/1907893-ozma_wars01.png

Reviews: (Not on this site, that's for sure...>_> )

Video: YouTube Video

HSC: (Well, since Priest does come on often, please PM him for one on this game.)

Past 5 GotW discussions: (Makes things easier, OK.)
#155. Mechanized Attack -->
#156. Quiz King Of Fighters -->
#157. King Of Fighters 2002 -->
#158. Ikari Warriors -->
#159. Sasuke VS Commander -->
Edited by NeoStrayCat on 30. July 2013 05:03
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
priest
NeoStrayCat wrote:HSC: (With the way Priest hardly comes by here, there's probably no need for it, for now.)

Cat: 'Hardly' is an exageration, perhaps you should get the facts straight before you look to fill your post quotaRoll Eyes

I may not write as much as I used to, but I still log on almost every day. I guess I´m lucky to say that I have a life outside NGFL too...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoStrayCat
So do I, but maybe I should check on here more, I'll change it since you're present and all. Sorry about that.

LIFE_IN_2D
Hahahaha Stray, stop being such a chode.

As for the game... ummm… it looks boring. Never played it, doubt I will ever want to. Why pick a game so obscure that nobody has played it nor gives two shit pellets about ever playing?
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

RiKo
It looks interesting for the time and may have been good back then but I probably wouldn't play it now. It looks a little slow by today's standards. I wonder if it had an overlay to make colours like Space Invaders did?
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
I gave Ozma Wars a try a few days ago. If I had played this back in '79 when it came out it would have seemed amazing and I would probably still enjoy playing it for nostalgia reasons. Coming to the game now for the first time though it's just too simplistic and not very enjoyable. It's pretty rare for me to play any pre-1985 arcade games to be honest.

Doubt I will play Ozma Wars again but I guess it is interesting as a piece of SNK history.

NeoStrayCat
Well, for one thing, if you're gonna welcome yourself like that, don't bother questioning stupid shit here. 2nd, still have to cover any and all SNK related stuff anyways.

LIFE_IN_2D
NeoStrayCat wrote:

Well, for one thing, if you're gonna welcome yourself like that, don't bother questioning stupid shit here. 2nd, still have to cover any and all SNK related stuff anyways.

Lol, that "guy" just quoted me, Stray. If you want to strangle somebody, I'm the one who said it first. Thanks for the laugh.

PS: "jonnblaze" is probably a bot.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

The eccentric cat
Bot posts removed. Hopefully that's the last of them.
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

NeoStrayCat
2D, Guess you're right, now my nonsense post [to that bot] makes no sense, since that post was removed. And yes, hopefully the last of them E-C, for now. >_>

Jump to Forum: