Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: TheBurningPunch
Thread ID: 4507
Thread Info
There are 21 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5711 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Strider HD gameplay
TheBurningPunch
YouTube Video

i cant wait for this lol

marktheshark
Not sure if I should be excited or nervous. This game is being made by Double Helix, the same developers who made such gems like the Battleship game, Front Mission Evolved, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, and Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters.

Yeah, I'm really not anticipating this.
www.theotaku.com/guru_results/2613_Wind.jpg

cthulhu
Looks a bit boring and uninspired to me...I'll stick to the original, which still is awesome.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

DarakuTenshi
I'm with Cthulhu on this one... I was excited when I read your thread title, but after watching that I'm a bit let down. The original game was so fun. This game just does not look very entertaining at all.

Chiba3010
I'll third that. It just doesn't look faithful or in any way authentic to the source material. Offers very little that channels the soul and spirit of the original from the looks of it. I'm predicting this'll wind up DOA, sadly.

Hope I'm wrong (though I doubt it). :(
i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p488/Chiba3010/8b2527a9.jpg

freebie
I'm ashamed, I never played the previous games, and to add even more disgrace to myself, I didn't even heard of them Ninja.
Should invest some time to and see what are they like. I think I'm gonna like them Grin.

DarakuTenshi
freebie wrote:

I'm ashamed, I never played the previous games, and to add even more disgrace to myself, I didn't even heard of them Ninja.
Should invest some time to and see what are they like. I think I'm gonna like them Grin.

Well... the first game was the only one that was really worth the time. The second game just was not very good at all. Then they did the one for Arcade and PSX I think it was called Strider Returns? Anyway, it was a sidescrolling game that was built using 3D modles... it was an okay game, but again still no where near as good as the first game.

The original Arcade/Genesis versions just had so much soul that just could not be duplicated.

RiKo
I loved the first Strider, even the Amiga version (not as good as the MD version) was good fun. I'm afraid compared to the original don't like the look of the new version at the moment but it could be a good game in it's own right.

On a seperate note : I am not so keen when they put old 2D games into HD polygon versions, I prefer the bitmapped style of graphics fullstop and sometimes you can also lose some of the character and pixel-perfect precision and control when you use polygons for the collision map. I think you have to work hard to avoid losing that.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
DarakuTenshi
Oh man... you are preaching to the choir.

When I heard that they were remaking Duck Tales and Castle of Illusion I was so excited. Only to find 3D rendered crap. Those games would have benefited from hand drawn sprites to make it look like a cartoon that they originated from.

TF73
I'm trying to keep an open mind on this one as I really loved Strider on MD.
But some of the previous efforts on updated from Capcom have not been so very impressive. I kind of like the graphical style in the game, but they should change the music to something more up beat to get the pump running. I have my fingers crossed that this will actually be good!

shion
It looks good. I wonder if it will come to Apple devices.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
freebie
DarakuTenshi wrote:

freebie wrote:

Well... the first game was the only one that was really worth the time. The second game just was not very good at all. Then they did the one for Arcade and PSX I think it was called Strider Returns? Anyway, it was a sidescrolling game that was built using 3D modles... it was an okay game, but again still no where near as good as the first game.

The original Arcade/Genesis versions just had so much soul that just could not be duplicated.

That Strider Returns you were talking about is number II. Tierte studio from Europe developed that sequel to Capcom's arcade game Strider (according to wiki). It was made by the guys that did Human Killing Machine, which looks like a "killer" game, and can explain your point on Returns Grin.

The one for PSX and arcades, that use 3D backgrounds is Strider 2 (different numbering all the way).

I played the first Strider, and after the initial good feel of the gameplay, it went down a little bit. Mainly because of a few moments where collision detection creates a devastating result on players temper Pfft, and control scheme that help for that moments to get worse.

The first moment was at level 2 on the flying ship, when you have to jump above some steel fans. When you get hit you start blinking for the usual invulnerabile one or two seconds and then you can get hit again. But if you fall you keep sliding until you fall of the platforms to your death. There is nothing you can do sadly:(.
The second one was at the last level and in similar fashion.

Nevertheless I see why it is so loved by people.

The one made by Tierte I skipped. Strider 2 the PSX/arcade one I liked very much. I don't approve of the 3D backgrounds, but since it was in that era is understandable. The MAME emulator however seems to not mange very good when there is 3D objects on screen. Besides that the game is very, very good. The core gameplay is kept the same, but the tempo is faster and fluid. There is a few added moves, one special and overall it plays much better than the first one. The years past gave the sequel more refined vibe (if only the 3D was 2D:().
The game have more cartoonish look, and the story parts between the levels full of comic panels add extra to it (btw they were done magnificently, I wonder who did them).

Number two, I liked a bit more than the first one, because of the improvements of which major role plays the time frame between them.

Lastly I learned about Osman. Which is some kind of unofficial sequel to the first Strider and was made by the man who directed it (on wiki I just saw that he claimed the game to be self-parody of Strider Grin).
I loved it from first sight. The Arabic setting adds additional weirdness. The colors are vibrant rich and vivid. The main protagonist looks cool in a cheesy way and his animation is detailed perfectly. The strange world built out of mind full of crazy ideas is marvelous Grin.
Gameplay wise Osman have the perfect mix of new and old. For me it turned out to be the one I liked the most.

Basashi King
saw this running at tokyo games show 2013.

i thought it looked a bit shit to be honest.

incidentally, the games show this year was by far the worst one ive been to - crappy mobile phone games and apps, far less meaty stuff than usual. would have been a pisspoor day if it hadnt turned into an all-night bender!

Neorebel
I want this game. *hides*

NeoGeoNinja
Never even heard of or seen this trailer before now Smile

To me, it looks pretty decent tbh. I'd definitely buy, play and enjoy it at the right price point (re: digital release).

I like what they have attempted with regards to the Cipher's power-up system - explosive power up, bullet deflection, charge attack. This holds promise and intrigue (imo) as to what else they plan to utilise in terms of power ups etc. I particularly liked the colour change to the scarf to signify as specific power up was in use. Perhaps a power up selection system will be used?

He's definitely very "Ninja" in this, running at a forward angle, hand on sword, "Ninja" hand in front, using precise single strikes to decimate foes.

I'd buy it.

-

Regarding the originals, Strider is fabulous. I absolutely adore that game, and it's ports too. Although the Strider 2 on MD (Tiertex) isn't up to the standard of the original, enjoyment can still be had from those who have a thing for Strider in general. Just accept that it just isn't half as good beforehand Grin

Also, I was left very disappointed by Strider 2 for PS1 back when it released. I bought it pretty much when it came out and was left gobsmacked by the horribly pixellated 2D visuals, choppy framerate and 3D backgrounds working super unharmoniously with the foregrounds 2D-based action.

However, I went back to it for a spin last year and managed to overlook those original feelings re: graphical shortcomings in favour of thoroughly enjoying the game as a whole. Will track down the JPN PS1 version at some point to see if 60Hz improves the game somewhat...
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Neorebel
Game is out. I bought it on Steam after hearing the PS3 version was only 30 fps. I don't have a PS4. I have to say, I am loving the game so far, and it has gotten a lot of acclaim amongst game critics. The one slight negative that's mentioned... which I agree with is that sometimes the 'metroidvania' (god I hate using that term) style sometimes breaks up the pace of the action too much, which is the best part of the game/series. The music is great and I also like the graphics. What are some other thoughts about the game?

reelmojo
I plan on getting it on my PS4 soon. Looks incredible. I love Strider and "Metroidvania" style games, so it's kind of a no-brainer for me.

hitorkori
I HAVE PS3/360 & XBOX ONE IS IT ANY BETTER on next gen 0r the same across all ?

reelmojo
PS4, XBox One and PC versions all run at 60fps in native 1080p while current gen versions run at 30fps. So yes, it would look better and run smoother on your XBOne.

hitorkori
thx for heads up reelmojo when i can stop killing zombies in dead rising 3 il dl load it Smile

Jump to Forum: