Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: shion
Thread ID: 4480
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7251 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Name the last great game you finished
shion
Pretty simple: what is the last game you finished that you consider a pillar of excellence?

For me, it would have to be Ocarina of Time on the N64 half a year ago. I'm not the biggest Ninty fan, but I have to admit when Miyamoto gets it right, he really hits the ball outta the park. The experience was especially relishing because I went into it knowing nothing about the gameplay or story (I tuned out Nintendo around the time of Ocarina's release). I didn't even use a FAQ, and for that, the experience was very rewarding, a direct connection with the designer's offering. The game really shows 5-6 years of scheming. I can't get the game out of my head!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Murikov
Just finished System Shock 2 two days ago for the very first time. What an epic trip through an alien-infested space ship this was! Long before Bioshock and other nowadays garbage this game managed to be way ahead of its time, offering hours of RPG gameplay full of horror, shooting, hacking, upgrading or modifying.

As a fan of the Thief series, I already knew I would like another game from Looking Glass Studios, but System Shock 2 definitely surpassed my expectations. Also SHODAN, the series' iconic villain, may be one of the most badass evil computer I've seen in popcultural media!

YouTube Video

i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
Nice thread Tobalman and I agree about FAQs, (unless you are completly stuck for months) they do often make the experience less rewarding if you use one.

I don't finish many games so any game I do finish usually has something going for it. It would have been Shenmue 1, but bad health intervened just as I was near the end and i didn't play games for a few years after that. I still haven't gone back to finish it . so I am going for Command and Conquer on Playstation 1. One of the few games I actually played through again, and finished a second time. Also probably one of the most addictive games ever.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
shion
Riko, a FAQ definitely has its place. I think kids are most likely to use a FAQ without really needing it not a good habit to develop.

I had no idea CC for PSX was so addictive. I heard it is inferior to the original version.

Muri, I've heard good things about that one. I am definitely tempted to put SS2 on my "to play" list. Smile

reelmojo
The Last of Us.

It starts out pretty slow but it builds into one of the most memorable stories I've ever played in a game.

Zakatek
Great game. I just finished The Last Of Us too.

reelmojo
I played and completed Parappa the Rapper 2 for the first time today. I don't know why I waited so many years to play it after really enjoying the original and Um Jammer Lammy. I think it's actually my favorite of the three games! If you enjoyed the original I highly recommend picking up the sequel. Chop Chop's song is one of the funniest things I've seen in all of gaming.

I really hope Sony resurrects the series soon. The games are very short so I know a sequel wouldn't get a retail release, but it'd be a perfect fit for a PSN game. Also, a Parappa the Rapper animated series would probably be the greatest thing ever.

shion
I enjoyed Parappa back in the day, probably because the rhythm genre was so new at the time here in the states. I'd have to be in the right mood to play something like that, but I'll definitely give 2 a go someday.

I finished the original LoZ about a week ago (for now, I can't be bothered with the second quest). Within the past twenty years, I've tried to seriously finish it three times. It's one of those games you got to be in the mood to play, you know? All three times have resulted in data loss near the end (I didn't know to hold the reset button while pressing power). For a man in his prime, the game is only moderately difficult definitely not as hard as I thought growing up. I found everything except the red ring; any suggestions? Smile

reelmojo
If I remember right you buy it from the same place you bought the blue ring.

...unless you mean suggestions for games to play next in which case I'm gonna have to loop right back around to Parappa 2. Even though rhythm games are a well established if not overdone genre now, the Parappa games still feel fresh. It's odd that the genre at first seemed to spring from Parappa and yet after all these years Parappa still feels so unique.

Murikov
Just finished Goodybe Deponia, the supposedly final installment of the Point & Click series. Again buckets of black humor (mostly politically incorrect - even if it doesn't look like it) and gorgeous artwork make the third Deponia a memorable one. A shame everything came to an end - although the controversial ending points out that spin-offs may lay ahead...

YouTube Video

It was actually the Deponia series that aroused again my interest for Point & Click Adventures. Highly recommended!
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Sensi
Murikov wrote:

Just finished Goodybe Deponia, the supposedly final installment of the Point & Click series. Again buckets of black humor (mostly politically incorrect - even if it doesn't look like it) and gorgeous artwork make the third Deponia a memorable one. A shame everything came to an end - although the controversial ending points out that spin-offs may lay ahead...

Murikov, I also completed the game a few weeks after the release.
Do you remember we talked about it? I enjoyed it as much as you did. IMO it's the best installment of the series, the story writing did peak at the right moment and made sense.
The humor and jokes were great, especially the 'Uncle Rufus' scenes with the children and alleged child molester XD

The ending was for me a little unexpected but a brave decision of Daedelic. Not many adventure series can say they improved with each installment, but Deponia did Smile
Edited by Sensi on 23. November 2013 01:14
s7.postimg.org/sk9u8o4y3/KOF_new.jpg

Murikov
The completion of awesome games goes on! 2 days ago I finally finished the original Deus Ex from 2000, cited many times as one of the best PC games ever made.

YouTube Video

So what do I think? After those intense ~27 hours of gameplay it's needless to say that the game is great - but I would not say that it's the definite masterpiece everyone was talking about for all those years. I dare to say that System Shock 2 did it a little better in terms of gameplay and atmosphere. Sometimes Deus Ex' mechanics are quite troublesome if you decide to take the stealth path, unlike in Thief for example (here we are again).

But Deus Ex' strength is definitely the storyline involving foreign politics, intelligence agencies, secret societies, corruption and cyberpunk. If you compare the ficitonal political world from Deus Ex with ours, you're partly not very far from it. Sometimes I caught myself thinking that I've already seen a similar situation before in real life (an alleged terrorist attack in NY, the mention of Rothschild and Rockefeller being inside secret societies, etc)... It was indeed a triumphant moment when achieving the good ending after such a trip!

Also the music is far beyond awesomness. Tracks like The Synapse, UNATCO or DuClare Chateau are real earworms and OST legends!

Sensi wrote:
Murikov, I also completed the game a few weeks after the release.
Do you remember we talked about it? I enjoyed it as much as you did. IMO it's the best installment of the series, the story writing did peak at the right moment and made sense.
The humor and jokes were great, especially the 'Uncle Rufus' scenes with the children and alleged child molester XD

The ending was for me a little unexpected but a brave decision of Daedelic. Not many adventure series can say they improved with each installment, but Deponia did

I knew I could count on you, Sensi, of course I remember! Smile

In fact I think that Goodbye Deponia had the easiest puzzles of the trilogy, I only made use of a walkthrough at one part of the game. But nevertheless it was great of course!

Rufus was again at his best, you simply don't need enemies if you've got friends like him (remember what happened to Goon and June?). And the child molester scene was almost over the top, I almost laughed my a** off!

And keep in mind that the ending actually left a lot of things unclear. Or can you tell me what exactly happened to the third Rufus after he crashed along with Oppenbot? I already can smell a 'Elysium' trilogy coming. Wink
Edited by Murikov on 23. November 2013 17:47
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
@Murikov Congratulations! Thumbs Up What do you think of the other Deus X games? I have Invisible War on Xbox but haven't ever played it.Was wondering if it was worth playing at some point.

Tobalman wrote :- I had no idea CC for PSX was so addictive. I heard it is inferior to the original version.

It is inferior, it has horrible blurry graphics and it's quite slow in comparision, but the gameplay is just so strong you forget about all that a couple of hours in. A bit like how SimCity on SNES is still SimCity. I got addicted to Warzone 2100 on PSX too. Another great RTS game.

If you don't count SSFIV (which doesn't really count imo), the last game full-stop I actually finished was Cyberlip a few years ago. I only did that for the HSC. I never really finish games. I pretty much always get bored before the end. Either that or they are too hard for me Smile

sanny_torkilsson
The Last Of Us and GTA 5. Great games and a strong finnish for the 7th gen consoles.

www.aikhockey.se
Murikov
RiKo wrote:
@Murikov Congratulations! Thumbs Up What do you think of the other Deus X games? I have Invisible War on Xbox but haven't ever played it.Was wondering if it was worth playing at some point.

Thanks Rik! I must admit that I've only played the first one so far, but nonetheless I already read much about its sequels. Invisible War seems to be an OK game overall, but many fans of the series didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. Reasons seemed to be the exaggeratedly long loading times (on both PC and Xbox) and the oversimplification of level design and gameplay mechanics in comparison with the first Deus Ex.

But nonetheless the game's critics were quite positive when it was released back then in 2004. At least the graphics got a nice overhaul and some characters from the predecessor return as well. Perhaps I'll grab it at the Steam Holiday Sales!

Human Revolution on the other side doesn't appeal to me from what I've seen. With nowadays' sequels I most often tend to get disappointed. :/
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

reelmojo
Played through VVVVVV again today. All 20 trinkets, 670 deaths, almost exactly 2 hours. Dying has never been so much fun!

NeoGeoNinja
The last great game I finished was in June, when my GF went on a girly holiday for a week, leaving the house all to myself. So, what was this game? And, what on EARTH am I doing playing a game through to completion... I hear you ask?

Anyway... Sleeping Dogs on PS3.

Now, I was already a fan of the likes of the Yakuza series and this game, very much, looked like a Chinese variant based in HK to me. Turns out that it was a bit more than that.

I started playing it (after a long, hard decision of "What game should I play through?" ) and, quite simply, just couldn't put it down. It did everything so well.

of particular note was the hand-to-hand combat. It was supremely satisfying and superbly executed.

Without going to deep into it, I completely and unintentionally 'Platinumed' the whole game. Must've been good then, eh ;,
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
I platinumed Sleeping Dogs too. It's seriously so good, and so much better than I even hoped it would be. I've been itching to play through it again lately even though I already have way too many games to play. In short, I don't know what was in the pool of games you were choosing from, but you chose correctly.

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:

I platinumed Sleeping Dogs too. It's seriously so good, and so much better than I even hoped it would be. I've been itching to play through it again lately even though I already have way too many games to play. In short, I don't know what was in the pool of games you were choosing from, but you chose correctly.

There was some stiff competition from the other titles tbh:

Yakuza 4, God of War 3, Metal Gear Revengeance, Metal Gear Solid 4(!), InFamous 2, Tomb Raider, Uncharted 3... to name a few Wink

Wasn't an easy choice, but still a good one, nonetheless, eh?
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

RiKo
Murikov wrote :- Thanks Rik! I must admit that I've only played the first one so far, but nonetheless I already read much about its sequels. Invisible War seems to be an OK game overall, but many fans of the series didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. Reasons seemed to be the exaggeratedly long loading times (on both PC and Xbox) and the oversimplification of level design and gameplay mechanics in comparison with the first Deus Ex.

Thanks for the info Murikov Thumbs Up I do remmber it was quite hyped up at the time and some people were disappointed but also I remember some people liked it too, so I wasn't sure whether all the hype raised people's expectations too much. From what you will say it sounds like it does deserve an outing sometime.

Jump to Forum: